Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Shut up we need to go deeper.

(you know you want it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
It is right and proper that people get smacked down for talking poo poo to their betters imo. Plus they really have tried to harass the man as far as I can tell. It's overall a good thing that people start getting it in their heads that your actions on the internet have consequences. Things like this happening will drive that point home.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah. The ironic Derek-love has really gone off the rails. Y'all are being loving stupid now.

Going after CIG is weird enough but now that he's going after some random reddit schmucks it's downright creepy.

I kinda live my internet life by "look don't touch", let these idiots have their fun running around playing pretend spaceships and just laugh at them from a distance. If they want to let themselves get scammed out of thousands of dollars that's their problem.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
The quality of SC does show in the way they're fostering (festering?) their toxic community and allowing them to speak for them, possibly even setting goals for the devs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the redditors are as pathetic as everyone else does but I can't find enjoyment in some poor rear end nerds obsessed with starship jpegs being financially ruined

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind or may piss someone off but that's how I feel

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This thread's always been loving stupid rear end poo poo, who are you kidding.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I really wish we could leave the redditor idiots out of it, at least in the SA thread

Just not really my thing

If anything it goes to show just how much CIG sucks, they haven't released or done anything at all so the thread's gotta have this filler

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Renegret posted:

Going after CIG is weird enough but now that he's going after some random reddit schmucks it's downright creepy.

I kinda live my internet life by "look don't touch", let these idiots have their fun running around playing pretend spaceships and just laugh at them from a distance. If they want to let themselves get scammed out of thousands of dollars that's their problem.

When Chris Roberts rides off into the sunset with a suitcase of money and a new 20 year old intern by his side, there's a not insignificant chance it has a chilling effect on crowd funding in general, if not lead to some AGs in the US making a lot of noise about it.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, not really down with fuckin up some dumb nerds over internet idiocy.

If it happens I wanna be one of the goons chanting "Worldstar" though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

did I imply it wasnt or

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also all of this poo poo is a result of the big funny story (Derek Smart trying to shut down CIG) so at least it's all sort of related to the same subject. It's not like all the drama is just targeting random people on the internet. It's literally CIG true believers trying to shut down the man trying to shut down their church.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
maybe I'm a bad person, but I would love to see Derek Smart vs Dolvak in a court of law. perhaps in space.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Eonwe posted:

I think the redditors are as pathetic as everyone else does but I can't find enjoyment in some poor rear end nerds obsessed with starship jpegs being financially ruined

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind or may piss someone off but that's how I feel

At least it's not student loan debt and most of them could file bankruptcy if they had to.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Shala posted:

Yeah, not really down with fuckin up some dumb nerds over internet idiocy.

If it happens I wanna be one of the goons chanting "Worldstar" though.

well I mean they did give his game bad reviews or whatever, it's not like they didn't ask for it.. if derek is going to perform these acts of internet brutality, I'm okay with him documenting it here.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

Some of the recipes have been brilliant.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah. The ironic Derek-love has really gone off the rails. Y'all are being loving stupid now.

Listen Uncle Derek is on the verge of something great. He won't disappoint us like CIG.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

also I bet this nerd caves and is forced to post an apology written by derek smart, for derek smart sooner than later.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Google Butt posted:

well I mean they did give his game bad reviews or whatever, it's not like they didn't ask for it.. if derek is going to perform these acts of internet brutality, I'm okay with him documenting it here.

Yeah I don't get all the hate, this poo poo is funny/entertaining to watch

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

did I imply it wasnt or

Hey now do I seem like someone with the foresight to post his reply after the guy he was replying to? I should have quoted the guy who said the slap fight was dumb. Also the guy who said the recipes were good is onto something, I think I need to review my whole outlook on this thread tbh

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Pretty sure the retarded redditors Derek is lawyering could just... you know... apologize. If they think that they're right enough to go to court then let them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Rotten Red Rod posted:

An unbeliever !! Derek is the source of all good.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Hammerstein posted:

An unbeliever !! Derek is the source of all good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Hey now do I seem like someone with the foresight to post his reply after the guy he was replying to? I should have quoted the guy who said the slap fight was dumb. Also the guy who said the recipes were good is onto something, I think I need to review my whole outlook on this thread tbh
Ohhhh makes sense

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

Pretty sure the retarded redditors Derek is lawyering could just... you know... apologize. If they think that they're right enough to go to court then let them.

It's amazing because the one guy already did and Dsmart was like..."aight cool man" and let it go.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Never thought I'd see the day Leonard J. Crabs was on Derek Smart's SomethingAwful.com legal team.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think prosecuting them is, ethically, the right thing to do.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You'd have thought this would have come up when we made him a mod of his own subforum or created gang tags for him but now he's just being the same ridiculously litigious dude we've known he was for the last decade and we're all like "wowwww there mister hang on a second I didn't sign up for this".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

I really wish we could leave the redditor idiots out of it, at least in the SA thread

Just not really my thing

It's natural to use the Reddit shitlers inane posts to help mock the community they're so ardently defending though.

Edit - Oh, you meant suing people for the poo poo they're doing. Meh.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PST posted:

When Chris Roberts rides off into the sunset with a suitcase of money and a new 20 year old intern by his side, there's a not insignificant chance it has a chilling effect on crowd funding in general, if not lead to some AGs in the US making a lot of noise about it.

Yeah, it is going to seriously damage crowd funding. At the very least it will gently caress it up for has-beens like CRoberts who haven't made a game in over a decade and big projects with a 'vision'. You'll probably need a lot more proof and reassurances to pull it off now. Both of these things I am fine with.

Eonwe posted:

They probably won't be financially ruined but the plan to 'destroy' Derek Smart is idiotic. You couldn't even do it. You would have to find people he works with/hires or industry people he knows and rant at them 'Derek Smart is a big poopy meanie head rear end in a top hat!' Obviously no one would give a poo poo, because Derek Smart has been around for awhile and people probably formed their own judgments by now. You could tell them that he is trying to ruin a dream game and is no friend to gamers, but again, they wouldn't care. You can't make him exit the industry, because he owns his own company and produces his own games. You'd have to devote your life to trying to convince people not to work for him. Assuming the stars aligned and you made the right human sacrifices and no one works with Derek Smart, he will just make the loving thing himself anyway.

So what's the point? He's known for being highly litigious and even if it is rare he sues you, why bother with the risk? You're not going to be able to do anything about Derek Smart unless you do it illegally (and then he would definitely sue you). And all of this is because he badmouthed your internet starship jpeg simulator. Holy loving poo poo, its the worst goddamn gaming community on this loving planet.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Prosecuting Redditors... if you dont get SO turned on by that you need to ban yourself.

Its about ethics in loving over hateful white nerds.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Everyone on both sides suing everyone lol!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thatguy posted:

Yeah but they'd have to admit they, and possibly CIG, were wrong about something. Can't have that.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Szcwczuk posted:

Everyone on both sides suing everyone lol!

That is, in fact, the plan.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper Dan posted:

You'll probably need a lot more proof and reassurances to pull it off now. Both of these things I am fine with.

That wouldn't be a bad thing to be honest.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't mind people posting about the reddit thing, because we all know how this song and dance is going to go down. Pretty much exactly like the first guy. Nobody's life is going to get ruined.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I just want a sweet girl to settle down with and live the rest of my life with while we pilot around the verse as a husband and wife team in my connie :)

*sighs*

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Hybridfusion posted:

I just want a sweet girl to settle down with and live the rest of my life with while we pilot around the verse as a husband and wife team in my connie :)

*sighs*

Fact - I have seen more evidence that SC players would rather have their sister pilot around the verse with them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Hybridfusion posted:

*sighs*

At least until the brown sea demands a domestic violence module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

joats posted:

Fact - I have seen more evidence that SC players would rather have their sister pilot around the verse with them.

I need a link to this

• Locked thread