Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Normally people complain about the exclusively brown palette of bleak games, though. The not-just-brown-and-orange got a lot of praise in general...surely that is an improvement over real-life orange Los Angeles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

White Phosphorus posted:

Why is LA so green in this game? When I went there a few months ago and it was all brown. I played Fallouts way back when, I was impressed by the bleakness of American post nuclear future. But apparently that's just what it always looks like.

The original Fallout games were hilariously devoid of vegetation and truly represented a wasteland. In the area the games took place in there'd be plenty of trees and grass and scrub/brush, even if it was stunted and limited by mutation and poor climate. WHAT DID THE SCORPIONS AND GECKOS EVEN LIVE ON? I guess they ate all of the talking raccoon.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I am the idiot that constantly wastes 2-3 med packs on a character after a fight when they only have 20xp until next level.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

White Phosphorus posted:

Why is LA so green in this game? When I went there a few months ago and it was all brown. I played Fallouts way back when, I was impressed by the bleakness of American post nuclear future. But apparently that's just what it always looks like.

It's worth remembering that this is the best approximation we have to a nuclear wasteland:

It's also worth remembering that the LA area can be quite green when there's no multi-year drought going on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LA was a breath of fresh air. I was getting burned out on the look of AZ.

Plus The Last of Us is one of my favorite Apocalypse things and it's very lush, so the green wasn't weird to me. It is kind of funny that it mostly looks like a green filter though. Even the pavement is green.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've got disappearing items in my inventory, transferring stuff between rangers causes items to vanish. :sigh:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Pvt.Scott posted:

Regardless, it will still be part of my Robert Cop plan.

Pages ago but I appreciate the usage of Robert Cop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LA is cool, but man it's a lot more uh, diplomatic. lots of running around talking to people in these huge rear end areas. I'm kind of ready to get back to killing poo poo these shiny new guns need to be broken in.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've got disappearing items in my inventory, transferring stuff between rangers causes items to vanish. :sigh:

Do you have an inventory tab selected instead of it showing everything, happened to me too, ha.

I'm playing this on PS4 and it's a game of autosaving every 5 minutes because of the crashes or the camera getting stuck and no amount of R3 clicking will fix it.

Is there any real replay to the story? It doesn't seem like anything will be that different if I go different routes .

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

NESguerilla posted:

LA is cool, but man it's a lot more uh, diplomatic. lots of running around talking to people in these huge rear end areas. I'm kind of ready to get back to killing poo poo these shiny new guns need to be broken in.

Just finished Angel Oracle. When the Mannerites told me they were gonna hold onto one of my dudes while I looked for the prisoner, I just let the whole town have it. LA must understand that the authority of the Rangers is supreme.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
^ I like your style.

Safe Driver posted:

Is there any real replay to the story? It doesn't seem like anything will be that different if I go different routes .

I think the post between us answers that to a degree.

edit: Has anyone here or elsewhere confirmed that Delta team can be beat? I wanna try because the comment they make as you pass them in HQ suggests they need to be brought down a few notches.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 31, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

popewiles posted:

Just finished Angel Oracle. When the Mannerites told me they were gonna hold onto one of my dudes while I looked for the prisoner, I just let the whole town have it. LA must understand that the authority of the Rangers is supreme.

It's weird to think that doing that would actually take longer than doing things normally just because of how long it would take to kill everyone.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Some questions I forgot to ask:

Does Vaxx get any reactions from people when in your party? Specifically, people in the ranger citadel?

Do you still need the leadership skill to stop people from going rogue?

Does throwing a grenade still switch your main weapon?

Are there still bunches of random items that aren't labelled as junk but have no story or gameplay purpose? (Synth parts, Harry's trousers etc)

Do you still need to heal every single one of the Red Militia dogs, one at a time?

When you arrive in California, is your first task to find five wooden boards, to patch up five holes in the fence, while fighting off five "nuke dogs" encounters?

Do all / most of the plot important NPCs have their own portraits?

Kinda of assuming I know the answer to this one - are there still half a dozen skills dedicated exclusively to "get stuff out of containers"?

Edit - can you buy weapons mods?

Is the Hollywood cult 'gauntlet' actually expanded, or does the description at least edited to match the contents?

Is the AI for the final combat at least halfway competent?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 31, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Safe Driver posted:

Do you have an inventory tab selected instead of it showing everything, happened to me too, ha.

I'm playing this on PS4 and it's a game of autosaving every 5 minutes because of the crashes or the camera getting stuck and no amount of R3 clicking will fix it.

Different quest chains depending on which faction/town you side with in the various areas, I think the Highpool AG center choice is the biggest dichotomy.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
General Patton and his fightin' kung fu action force have deaded all the wasteoids. Many faces were punched to goo and robots pounded to dust. My team was basically a force of nature by the end of the game. Considering they were less than optimal brawlers are just vicious creatures, and a properly built one would be absolutely bonkers. I'd recommend the 3 perception for back stab on top of the usual stuff. The game is decently generous for what constitutes being behind someone.

Ending stuff:It's awesome how all your friends show up to help you out at the end. Casey Jones got killed in the assault, but not before landing the final blow on the scorpitron. Kekkahbah stayed behind to detonate the nuke. The both died hero robot killers, I think John Henry would be proud.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

popewiles posted:

Pages ago but I appreciate the usage of Robert Cop.

Sadly, I decided to put that run off in favor of a more orthodox party so I can actually get some experience with something other than the beginning of this game. Second playthrough though, Officer Murphy is bringin' the law.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Do you still need the leadership skill to stop people from going rogue? - Yes

Does throwing a grenade still switch your main weapon? - Yes

Are there still bunches of random items that aren't labelled as junk but have no story or gameplay purpose? (Synth parts, Harry's trousers etc)- Yes? I had a ton of random poo poo like that by the end, I assumed it was for quest givers I'd missed though.

Do you still need to heal every single one of the Red Militia dogs, one at a time? - Yes

When you arrive in California, is your first task to find five wooden boards, to patch up five holes in the fence, while fighting off five "nuke dogs" encounters? - Yes

Do all / most of the plot important NPCs have their own portraits? - Not sure. I definitely saw portraits being re-used, with NPCs using portraits from the character creator's pool

Kinda of assuming I know the answer to this one - are there still half a dozen skills dedicated exclusively to "get stuff out of containers"? - Yes

can you buy weapons mods? - I occasionally saw them in stores, yes. They're not common though.

Is the Hollywood cult 'gauntlet' actually expanded, or does the description at least edited to match the contents? - No idea, I skipped it by accident.

Is the AI for the final combat at least halfway competent? - Everything moves around and shoots things, beyond that I wasn't stunned by its tactical acumen or anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So those those non junk, junk items are actually as worthless as they seem? I have like 100 but have found uses for maybe 5 of them. Figured I'd be trading most of them to NPC's by now, but that seems to only happen once in blue moon.

That Doctor asked for a microscope and that's really the first time i can think of any of that random crap even being useful. The other ones were things I already knew I was looking for.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 31, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Are those items Squeezins, by any chance

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pvt.Scott posted:

^^^ yeah, what that guy said. I'm all happy for research or whatever, but that facility was kind of a bust either way.

That said, there's no way the rangers would know that when deciding which to save first...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NESguerilla posted:

So those those non junk, junk items are actually as worthless as they seem? I have like 100 but have found uses for maybe 5 of them. Figured I'd be trading most of them to NPC's by now, but that seems to only happen once in blue moon.

That Doctor asked for a microscope and that's really the first time i can think of any of that random crap even being useful. The other ones were things I already knew I was looking for.

It depends. Some of the stuff you find is for quest givers who might be dead in your playthrough, and some of it was for cut content but not cut itself. Synth parts, for example, never come up. Similarly, if you get the fertilizer sprayer but didn't save Ag Center, the only person you could have given it to is dead.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gort posted:

That said, there's no way the rangers would know that when deciding which to save first...

Well, Highpool asks for help first, is under attack by men with guns, is a larger population and sits on a working dam and your party is usually closer to Highpool when the call for help is received. The other is a dozen or so eggheads playing scientist in the sun being attacked by large flies and rabbits. I chose Ag Center the first time I played because Science! always works out and I happened o be directly next to Ag Center at the time. I do Highpool now.

I do agree with you though. A bunch of newbies who wandered in from the wastes might not have a good idea of what to do. I want a dialog option to put a bullet in each kneecap of my boss for sending out the new kids, without gear on purpose, to do a thing. When the situation changed and got serious Vargas should have gotten off of his lazy rear end and sent some Rangers to go protect at the least one of the two sites. There are multiple squads that just materialize mysteriously after you complete the first choice and go around radio chatting all day about the unimportant poo poo they're doing. Where were they? Where were the assholes inside the citadel? I guess I might find out. I think I might actually get into the citadel today.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also Kate is desperate for help but more reasonable than...Bergin? when Vargas explains that he has no help to dispatch. It's possible that he sent most of the squads beyond the map boundaries or something, but you're right that it makes no sense for us to be the fifth team he's assembled and none of the others are anywhere to be seen when one of most important locations under Ranger protection comes under fire. Even if he's die hard dedicated to only using Delta when squads go rogue, where would Able, Baker and Charlie even be?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lotish posted:

Also Kate is desperate for help but more reasonable than...Bergin? when Vargas explains that he has no help to dispatch. It's possible that he sent most of the squads beyond the map boundaries or something, but you're right that it makes no sense for us to be the fifth team he's assembled and none of the others are anywhere to be seen when one of most important locations under Ranger protection comes under fire. Even if he's die hard dedicated to only using Delta when squads go rogue, where would Able, Baker and Charlie even be?

Probably shooting children and their pets now that I think about it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If you miss the portrait, it can cause the item to be dropped on the ground next to you in a bag.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Does Junk Diver work for the whole party, or do I have to remember to select whatever random jackass has it every time I want to loot anything?

E:apparently it works for the whole party. It pops up with a message in the log when it happens.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 31, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think the main thing about the Ag Center is that it seems to have every scientist in the region in it. If you let it fall, then all of them are gone, there are no universities or schools, so you could argue that all of their knowledge on biology, agriculture and transforming flora and fauna into hideous kill frenzied monstrosities will be gone forever, or rediscovered, which could be hundreds of years. In the short term, the drat is obvious the better thing to save, but in the long term the AG Center might well be the better choice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I think the main thing about the Ag Center is that it seems to have every scientist in the region in it. If you let it fall, then all of them are gone, there are no universities or schools, so you could argue that all of their knowledge on biology, agriculture and transforming flora and fauna into hideous kill frenzied monstrosities will be gone forever, or rediscovered, which could be hundreds of years. In the short term, the drat is obvious the better thing to save, but in the long term the AG Center might well be the better choice.

So the problem from a game design point is that before, during, and after the player has no real understanding of which place is more important to save or what the long term effects will be of one being lost (hint: in game terms it's zero because The Show Must Go On).

So rather than being an interesting or meaningful choice it's just 'gently caress you player, decide now which map of content you don't get to experience'.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Alchenar posted:

So the problem from a game design point is that before, during, and after the player has no real understanding of which place is more important to save or what the long term effects will be of one being lost (hint: in game terms it's zero because The Show Must Go On).

So rather than being an interesting or meaningful choice it's just 'gently caress you player, decide now which map of content you don't get to experience'.

Right, it's that OLD SCHOOLTM experience!

E: doing a quest or two for each place and meeting a few of the characters before the attacks happen would make the choice more interesting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In retrospect I would have picked Highpool because AG was so slow and clumsy it had me unsure of if I should have bought the game. Something like 7 hours of clumsily backtracking around the same small area with characters that can't hit the broad side of a barn and barely had any ammo. By the time I hit the synth guy I almost shelved it (seriously gently caress that boss) but luckily I had just enough interest to push on and I have enjoyed the game since.

I could maybe enjoy AG Center and do it quickly now that I know what I'm doing but it's kind of a bad introduction to the game.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I had no previous experience with the wasteland series and AG center made me quit the game. I'm going to play it what with the update and all, i just have to get around to it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I strongly dislike the exploding pods in Ag Center so I go Highpool for my sanity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

canada jezus posted:

I had no previous experience with the wasteland series and AG center made me quit the game. I'm going to play it what with the update and all, i just have to get around to it.

Yeah, doing Ag Center on my first attempt did nothing to endear the game to me. Piles of fast, hard to hit melee enemies, exploding pods hidden around corners and no halt command, backtracking, low ammo pickups for already ammo hungry novice characters with bad aim; just a poo poo show all around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Alchenar posted:

Sometimes you make choices without perfect information at hand. Get over it.

The neurotic completionist thing needs to die.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also I do not like the complaint that the Highpool/Agricultural Center dichotomy is the only time in the game that something gets closed off to you if you make the wrong decision--I have already encountered two other things, an area and a quest (Damonta self-destructing and, admittedly more minor, THE COWS BEING STOLEN), that end/fail if you do not do the right thing, and those are only the ones I happened to notice (and I just very recently left Arizona). I am sure there are others.

That said, I am not sure how they could easily fix the opening choice without just telling you what to do. As discussed, the idea of a place overrun with dudes with guns sounds the more worrying of the two, really, which belies the fact that it is pretty clearly the easier place to conquer. Maybe they could have thrown in some more useful combat-aiding NPCs in one area or the other so Vargas could at least say like "the scientists have the place pretty well guarded but it sounds like they are getting overwhelmed" which might make you think OH SNAP THIS IS SERIOUS instead of "yeah Highpool is basically losers with a dam, no shocker they are going down"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should have saved ag center for a little later and opened with a more streamlined area.

Fwiw if you do ag center first you will pretty much know how the game works by the time you leave, out of necessity though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone should make a mod where you can do both in sequence.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Honestly, I just would like if when you get to whichever one you didn't do, that's when you meet one of the other teams. They were retasked from whatever they were doing to try and save the place you didn't visit, but they got there too late. They meet you at the gate and say "poo poo, guys, we got here fast as we could, but..." The damage is still done but at least it looks like there was more of an attempt to save the place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it viable to let the synths take out some of these leather jerks for me if I just ignore their attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Sometimes you make choices without perfect information at hand. Get over it.

The neurotic completionist thing needs to die.

It's a game and you get locked out of content and there is no meaningful reason why that should happen.

It's not like XCOM's cool 'pick one of these three emergencies to respond to, here are the upsides and downsides of each' thing, the whole problem is that it is not a meaningful choice at all.. You just get to see one map or the other. That's it entirely.

• Locked thread