Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strudel Man posted:

Wait, wait, wait, you can't actually have a race in Stellaris that can take other species as hosts, can you?

Syndicalist Yeerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

Syndicalist Yeerks.

Actually weren't the Yeerks kind of already Syndicalists

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Wait, wait, wait, you can't actually have a race in Stellaris that can take other species as hosts, can you?

Libertarian... anythings.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Sharmat posted:

Yeerk pools are syndicalist communes where everyone wants to get the gently caress out of the commune.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeerk pools are syndicalist communes where everyone wants to get the gently caress out of the commune.

Sometimes I really love this thread

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I have not thought about animorphs in 15+ years, and yet I instantly knew what you were talking about.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rare planetary resource: cinnamon-bunzuh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

The Yeerks don't have an economy beyond the military, so I'm not sure they can be classified along economic lines. Their form of governance amounts to an oligarchical elected monarchy grafted onto a military meritocracy.

The Andalites are straight up Syndicalists though.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Gamespot has published a preview of Stellaris http://www.gamespot.com/articles/stellaris-is-civilization-in-a-massive-sci-fi-univ/1100-6432516/
Among other things they write that administrative governors that govern sectors of your empire is a feature and that they can try to secede.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's really hard not to get hyped out of shape for Stellaris. And it's not like they are doing anything extraordinary in terms of technology, they are simply piling in the experience they have from scripting their previous games and trying to create a bunch of interconnected gameplay systems like governors, crises and projects.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Star posted:

Gamespot has published a preview of Stellaris http://www.gamespot.com/articles/stellaris-is-civilization-in-a-massive-sci-fi-univ/1100-6432516/
Among other things they write that administrative governors that govern sectors of your empire is a feature and that they can try to secede.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Does the human race always starts on a plucky little planet named Earth in the Sol System a couple millenia after the life of a man named Jesus, or can you generate a scenario that is conceivably a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

To take inspiration from other sci-fi settings, could you start a game as the only spacefaring race and still have an interesting time thanks to civil wars and the like challeninging your empire?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
You can do the Earth start, and I believe it was mentioned somewhere you can have multiple people in the same star system at the start of the game, so its not inconceivable that you can not start in Sol if you don't want to.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Antti posted:

It's really hard not to get hyped out of shape for Stellaris. And it's not like they are doing anything extraordinary in terms of technology, they are simply piling in the experience they have from scripting their previous games and trying to create a bunch of interconnected gameplay systems like governors, crises and projects.

eh ill reserve hype until i see actual gameplay footage. prefereably played by ddrjake

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Agean90 posted:

eh ill reserve hype until i see actual gameplay footage. prefereably played by ddrjake

I'd watch Maddjinn exploit the poo poo out of the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Agean90 posted:

I got hyped for SOTS 2 by doing the opposite of this. Do what this man says.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Paradox wants you to be an active member of their community in order to get into beta tests for their games, and every time I think about that my brain just says NOPE.

Hey, it worked for me! ... :smith: (previously an EvW dev)

I still don't recommend it though. Between neo-fascists, neo-confederates, and the sheer number of Uber Europe gently caress everyone else folks, I just don't even bother these days.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Goons need to stop acting like there's actually a Paradox forum community. Everyone left years ago, it's just Goons trolling Goons.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Does the human race always starts on a plucky little planet named Earth in the Sol System a couple millenia after the life of a man named Jesus, or can you generate a scenario that is conceivably a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

To take inspiration from other sci-fi settings, could you start a game as the only spacefaring race and still have an interesting time thanks to civil wars and the like challeninging your empire?

Westminster System posted:

You can do the Earth start, and I believe it was mentioned somewhere you can have multiple people in the same star system at the start of the game, so its not inconceivable that you can not start in Sol if you don't want to.

You can't start in the same system as another race.

The bulk of our races are going to be custom/randomly generated races, but there are also some (8?) scripted "quick start" races which you can just pick and go if you don't want to make your own race. One of these is the Sol-humans. So if you want to start on Earth, you pick them (and you can customise them if you want too). On the other hand, if you just make a race using the human template you'll start in a random system.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

The bulk of our races are going to be custom/randomly generated races, but there are also some (8?) scripted "quick start" races which you can just pick and go if you don't want to make your own race. One of these is the Sol-humans. So if you want to start on Earth, you pick them (and you can customise them if you want too). On the other hand, if you just make a race using the human template you'll start in a random system.

Cool, thanks for the answer!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

Is there any way to make custom humans that start in Sol?
\/ I'm a bad reader :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 24, 2015

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to make custom humans that start in Sol?

It's right there in the post you quoted - yes, there is.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Terran Empire ahoy.

Zefram Cochrane sighed as he drew his shotgun.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

comaerror posted:

Terran Empire ahoy.

Zefram Cochrane sighed as he drew his shotgun.

idk if the humiliation of eventually being kept as slaves by the loving bajorans even makes the heights of the terran empire worth it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Does the human race always starts on a plucky little planet named Earth in the Sol System a couple millenia after the life of a man named Jesus,

I actually wish they'd drop the 2200 start date for that reason and just have the game start on Year 1 of the game uh.... Stellaris Era.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

I actually wish they'd drop the 2200 start date for that reason and just have the game start on Year 1 of the game uh.... Stellaris Era.

I don't give a poo poo either way but having the game start in 2200 seems awfully human centric. hell just have a turn counter and let the player imagine how much time is passing. Otherwise the game will seem amazingly short or ships amazingly slow, or something just won't quite make sense.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I don't give a poo poo either way but having the game start in 2200 seems awfully human centric.

Well the name of the game isn't Xeno Univeralis :rolleyes:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

I don't give a poo poo either way but having the game start in 2200 seems awfully human centric. hell just have a turn counter and let the player imagine how much time is passing. Otherwise the game will seem amazingly short or ships amazingly slow, or something just won't quite make sense.
I imagine the first mod after a bunch of templates for Romes 4-12 will be instructions on how to modify the start date.

Although it'd be real cool if it was just a text entry at game creation to let you roleplay how your species reckons dates. Bonus points if it gives controls over what a tick is equivalent too, including dropping the monthly calendar in favor of a floating decimal stardate.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mighty slug bulgaria will rule the galaxy

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I don't give a poo poo either way but having the game start in 2200 seems awfully human centric.

Humans need to check their space privilege. #notallaliens #stopinterstellerappropriation

(It's probably moddable)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You're just bitter because you're certain that 2200 will roll around and we'll all still be stuck on earth just be dust in the wind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

2200 start is bullshit they'll probably add a 2133 start in an expansion.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What year do the Space Aztecs conquer the Andalites? I want that bookmark.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The big blue blob is now a literal blue blob of hive minded amoebas lightyears across.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

2200 start is bullshit they'll probably add a 2133 start in an expansion.
If they ever pushed the start date back with DLC as far back as Charlemagne is from the vanilla start in CK2, then Stellaris would have an alternate early start in... 1903.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ofaloaf posted:

If they ever pushed the start date back with DLC as far back as Charlemagne is from the vanilla start in CK2, then Stellaris would have an alternate early start in... 1903.

That really puts it all in perspective.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Ofaloaf posted:

So what you're saying is War of the Worlds bookmark, featuring Verne and Wells as primitive Earth's Scientist characters?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
2200 seems awfully optimistic. I don't mind having it done that way though (even though I would push it up to like 2500 maybe) because I enjoy having a more concrete sense of the passage of time in these games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

As far as we know, any FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, not sf. If so, then colonizing the stars will be a slow, plodding affair and communication will be lightspeed only. Would make for a boring game though, unless Vernor Vinge directed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As far as we know, any FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, not sf. If so, then colonizing the stars will be a slow, plodding affair and communication will be lightspeed only. Would make for a boring game though, unless Vernor Vinge directed it.

To be fair though, every other paradox game also ignores how long it would realistically take to send information from end of your realm to the other.