Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

This is only in OZ according to the article. That being said, I have -always- gotten better mileage than whatever the car was rated for.

Including the R. I'm getting around 27-29mpg depending on how heavy my foot is.

I'd be amazed if it was just the AU market - the Golf R is rated 33.1 mpg in Australia and 34 mpg (converted to US gallons) in the UK which even for those test regimes are unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

I'd be amazed if it was just the AU market - the Golf R is rated 33.1 mpg in Australia and 34 mpg (converted to US gallons) in the UK which even for those test regimes are unrealistic.

If you are going to cheat and lie at all you don't localize it. Just like the whole diesel thing, if it's found out VW is cheating again it will be worldwide.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Odd, in the US it's rated at 20/30 25 combined.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has there been any news of a new Beetle GSR?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 18, 2015

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Looks like Audi has rolled out a similar "goodwill package" but only for the 2010-'13 A3 (2.0L TDI):

http://www.audidieselinformation.com/

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

bizwank posted:

Looks like Audi has rolled out a similar "goodwill package" but only for the 2010-'13 A3 (2.0L TDI):

http://www.audidieselinformation.com/

Those JPEG artifacts are rough.
http://www.audiusa.com/about/diesel-information/a3-diesel

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Seriously; I clicked "Check my VIN" and went looking for the focus knob on my monitor. Headache city.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
VW is walking back their initial denials and admitting that the 3.0l V6 also had the defeat device.

http://jalopnik.com/epa-volkswagen-admits-3-0-liter-v6-diesels-violated-em-1743809215

via
Dec 14, 2013
Even so, those are some clear rear end pipes on the Jalopnik link. Show Congress those clean-rear end tailpipes, mmm.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

At this point I want VAG to just outright admit that yes, they're basically evil as poo poo and no, they won't apologize for it but they will sack the incompetent management that hosed up and got caught then resume building the best end-user focused vehicles possible and everyone else can get hosed.

Just own it and leverage it, like the freakshows who get their own TLC series to showcase their hosed up lives.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is there anything to be done with old coilpacks besides the trash? One of my four was bad, I replaced all four, the internet sucked at telling me what things to measure with my DMM so I just chucked them in a box and left 'em in my trunk.

via
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone received their gift cards and how long did it take?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

via posted:

Anyone received their gift cards and how long did it take?

4 weeks from the day you sign up.

via
Dec 14, 2013
What's the best way to spend the dealer cash? I'm already committed to stealing 1,000 coffees from them over the life of the vehicle. They have the coolest machine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll be using mine for the upcoming 30k mile DSG service and oil change.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

via posted:

What's the best way to spend the dealer cash? I'm already committed to stealing 1,000 coffees from them over the life of the vehicle. They have the coolest machine.

my dealer wont let me prepay for service so i am buying all the parts needed so you only have to pay for labor

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is my TDI going to have trouble passing emissions tests? Mine is due for one in April. Virginia does them by county, and Fairfax is rich enough that they might care about my cars cheat program... :ohdear:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
For now, should be fine. My guess is that places won't hold the consumer accountable until after a fix is released. Then they'll nail you if you aren't compliant.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

2010 GTI

Went to start car this afternoon and the instrument cluster and lights went crazy and kept flickering on and off. Is that how these cars react to a low battery? I tried a couple more times and it may have tried to crank a little on one of the attempts. If I just turn car to on without cranking, all the electronics seem to work normally, except for an "ESP Error" message that shows up on MFD after a couple seconds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I need to get moving on the free money from VW before they change their minds. I'm assuming you just go to a dealer and they'll get you started?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

I need to get moving on the free money from VW before they change their minds. I'm assuming you just go to a dealer and they'll get you started?

No, if its the diesel thing you have to fill out online and then get it approved /activated at the dealer.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Dropped my pollution wagon off at the dealership yesterday for the 32,000Km service, got a loaner vehicle for the meantime; Tiguan 2.0TSI with 4motion. Pretty much a Golf on stilts, it's nice having a higher viewing vantage point while driving and the 4motion system was pretty good with the road conditions from the recent dump of snow we got earlier in the week. It didn't have the DSG though, and the TSI doesn't have that low-end torque like my TDI does, on the highways would need to drop a couple gears and then wait. Having a gas engine was a lot nicer this morning when it was -12, but leather seats suck until the seat warmers really kick in.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Took the smogwagen up to the slopes yesterday. I was pretty impressed with the snow performance on a front wheel drive stick shift, after having 3 automatic SUVs in a row.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My dad has a Passat W8 wagon that he might let me work on and drive around a bit. Good idea/bad idea? He's replaced a bunch of stuff in it already, like the thermostat and a few body panels, but the check engine light is still on; something about the climate control system. I'll try to gather more details, but the thing is just so darn neat that I'd hate to pass up the chance to tinker around with junk like that.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

scuz posted:

My dad has a Passat W8 wagon that he might let me work on and drive around a bit. Good idea/bad idea? He's replaced a bunch of stuff in it already, like the thermostat and a few body panels, but the check engine light is still on; something about the climate control system. I'll try to gather more details, but the thing is just so darn neat that I'd hate to pass up the chance to tinker around with junk like that.

Is it the 4 motion sport? If so its a unicorn. manual, awd, and 8 cylinder.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Is it the 4 motion sport? If so its a unicorn. manual, awd, and 8 cylinder.
It's the 4motion, but it's an automatic. Dad hadn't had problems finding parts for it, just tracking down all the loving gremlins that keep the idiot light on.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Well, go ahead and work on it, but be aware that it's a lot of engine in a small bay, which means there are a lot of things that require the engine to be lowered. O2 sensors are one of them, IIRC.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Got a jump and bought a new battery today. Everything seems back to normal now, however I'm getting two faults in the Engine module when running an Auto Scan in VCDS that I didn't before (no CEL though):

2 Faults Found:
001674 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
P068A - 000 - Opens Too Early - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2047.15.31
Time: 31:63:63

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 42.0∞C
Temperature: 34.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 1030.0 mbar
Voltage: 10.795 V

050217 - Implausible Data Received from Steering Column Control Module
U0429 - 000 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 0 km

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 15.0∞C
Voltage: 11.049 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

Hoping they clear over a few more drive cycles.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

DrChu posted:

Got a jump and bought a new battery today. Everything seems back to normal now, however I'm getting two faults in the Engine module when running an Auto Scan in VCDS that I didn't before (no CEL though):

2 Faults Found:
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Were you running alot of accesories after you scanned? That voltage is crazy low.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Were you running alot of accesories after you scanned? That voltage is crazy low.

I don't even charge my phone in the car so idk. Maybe it was low from sitting on shelf at store and I have driven enough to top it off? Either way I had no trouble starting today, I'll give it a week of commuting and run another scan this weekend.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

DrChu posted:

I don't even charge my phone in the car so idk. Maybe it was low from sitting on shelf at store and I have driven enough to top it off? Either way I had no trouble starting today, I'll give it a week of commuting and run another scan this weekend.

Ya keep an eye on it, right after shut off should be around 14.1 and will settle at 12.7.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Is there a general verdict on the 2013 GTI? DSG, base trim, 4 doors. I found one for a pretty good price (and I would prefer to pay cash) but I've heard about reliability issues, and the car is not local. I thought I'd ask here before I started getting into the hassle of trying to get a PPI from several states away.

I'm pretty good about sticking to a maintenance schedule, but I've never owned a German car and have no idea how those costs would stack up to my current Toyota's. Or repair costs, come to that. I just know I test-drove a 2016 today and grinned the whole time v:shobon:v

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 3, 2015

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Blue Scream posted:

Is there a general verdict on the 2013 GTI? DSG, base trim, 4 doors. I found one for a pretty good price (and I would prefer to pay cash) but I've heard about reliability issues, and the car is not local. I thought I'd ask here before I started getting into the hassle of trying to get a PPI from several states away.

I'm pretty good about sticking to a maintenance schedule, but I've never owned a German car and have no idea how those costs would stack up to my current Toyota's. Or repair costs, come to that. I just know I test-drove a 2016 today and grinned the whole time v:shobon:v

DSG flushes at the dealer cost ~$360. And they are scheduled at every 40K miles. I have a local VW mechanic that said he'd do it for ~$125. And obviously if you have the ability, doing it yourself is viably cheaper. Now I never had the local mechanic actually do it, I just got a quote. And after watching a youtube video of the procedure, I'd think the labor for gaining access to where you pour in the transmission fluid makes me believe that this mechanic hadn't done a DSG yet. So he maybe was underselling it at the time.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I wouldn't buy any VAG DSG unless I was comfortable with a fair probability of an expensive replacement down the road.

DSGs are for people who don't keep their cars outside the warranty period.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e :nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 4, 2015

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrChu posted:

2 Faults Found:
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Yeah, that voltage is really, really low -- should sit around 12.5-13.2V (if alternator is up and running) IIRC. The second one could be due to the low voltage, or your battery change might cause a re-cal of the steering angle sensor / that module; I had to do a bunch of modules after leaving my car battery-less for a few days. Guess they didn't store a lot of this stuff in non-volatile memory.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Blue Scream posted:

It's a great everyday car that's fairly practical and sporty and yet still fairly grown up and refined. Reliability will not be on par with your vanilla Honda or Toyota, but the driving experience is much better by many considerations. I would recommend a GTI but you need to know what you're getting into.

Kramdar posted:

DSG flushes at the dealer cost ~$360. And they are scheduled at every 40K miles. I have a local VW mechanic that said he'd do it for ~$125.

That is really good considering the fluid and filter by itself often runs $100+.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 6, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I looked through some of this thread and read about the emissions stuff, but I am curious what it means for non TDI cars. I drove a 2016Jetta SE with a 5 speed and really liked it. Should I still avoid it? Should I look for a used one whose price maybe dropped (my plan)? Or find an equivalent car from another manufacturer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Shouldn't it be a six speed? Which engine do those have in your market?