Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zachack posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the lack of 3D the main difference between the two sets?
It's 3d [which I have no interest in] and the "Trilumos" which is Sony's name for extended color range. The 850 is "hdr capable" but I'm really curious how much content there's going to be and also how noticeable it actually is in the real world in my never 100% dark living room. My main goal is the best, most accurate picture for blu-rays and my PS4. I was originally just going to get a 1080p model but it sounds like the X models have much better picture than the W. I just don't want to slide down the marginal upgrade slope too far if it's not really going to be much benefit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HDMI-CEC is really nice except for one thing: cats are more than heavy enough to hit buttons on my Apple TV remote, which is Bluetooth, so I woke up to a completely on entertainment system since I didn't think about that at all.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Looking to replace my current TV, since it accidentally took some impact to the screen and has a black bar covering about a third of the picture now. I just measured and the screen is about 40 inches diagonal, whole package is about 46 inches diagonal. I don't really have space for anything bigger, so I'd like it to be about the same overall footprint (so the screen can be bigger if bezels have gotten smaller in the past few years).

Is there any way to find about about cyber Monday deals ahead of time or do I just have to wait and see what's available next week?

e: Oh, and I'd like to avoid half-baked smart TV features as much as possible. I just want a dumb TV that I can plug my poo poo into.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You need to post a budget or otherwise I'm just going to recommend you get a 55" 4K OLED.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

a worthy uhh posted:

Currently debating between the Vizio M80-C3 at $3500 and the Sony XBR75X850C at $3k. Any other similar competitors in that price/size range? Not interested in curved or 3d, just big and quality image.

See my previous post. The Sony 75 is awesome as hell. Built in Netflix looks amazing.

If you just want the extra 5 inches (who doesnt heh) then the Vizio is probably better, but after getting the 75" installed, i really don't have room for the extra 5 inches (who does heh). THESE ARE DICK JOKES.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would like to buy an HDTV, but not a smart TV since that's a feature I have no desire for and can easily be supplemented by a $35 Chromecast. How do I go about looking for not-Smart TVs?

tyrelhill posted:

Basically looking for a good 50''-65'' non-smart (no bullshit accessories) TV for gaming.

Jayo posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a TV between 38" and 42". Will be used for gaming, blurays, and netflix with an emphasis on gaming. Not concerned with smart features.

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I'm not really interested in SmartTV features but it seems like they're kind of unavoidable

TopherCStone posted:

e: Oh, and I'd like to avoid half-baked smart TV features as much as possible. I just want a dumb TV that I can plug my poo poo into.

Feels the thread title really needs to reflect that if you want a good display, you want a smart TV whether you think you do or not.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Am I missing something, or is there no flat LG OLED 1080p? There's a curved 1080p, but the only flat ones are 4K, which isn't worth it for my viewing distance and is a huge price increase. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feels the thread title really needs to reflect that if you want a good display, you want a smart TV whether you think you do or not.

Im fine getting up off the couch and pushing the buttons myself; any suggestions on a TV for someone who doesn't want to pay an extra premium for an included "remote control" system?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm willing to compromise with a corded remote control.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hobo posted:

Am I missing something, or is there no flat LG OLED 1080p? There's a curved 1080p, but the only flat ones are 4K, which isn't worth it for my viewing distance and is a huge price increase. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Nope.

The LG curve isn't nearly as bad as Samsung but if you don't want 4K you gotta get the curved model.

55" 4K is about 2600, for those looking for a reference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're in the UK, go to John Lewis if you have one near you and they have the curved sets on display. I wasn't sure if I'd like them or not, but I found the LG curve to be perfectly fine personally.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Buydig had the 65" JS8500 on sale for 1799.

That's the cheapest this tv has been. It is the highest end flat tv Samsung offers and utilizes the One Connect mini box

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Slowhanded posted:

You need to post a budget or otherwise I'm just going to recommend you get a 55" 4K OLED.

Too big :colbert:
My TV doesn't get a huge amount of use, mostly just when I have friends over to watch a movie so under $500 would be ideal. I really just want something that I can expect to sit there and not break for the next ~5 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So the short version is that I should just buy a large computer monitor and some external speakers if I don't want to introduce a major security risk to my home?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TopherCStone posted:

Too big :colbert:
My TV doesn't get a huge amount of use, mostly just when I have friends over to watch a movie so under $500 would be ideal. I really just want something that I can expect to sit there and not break for the next ~5 years.

So the short version is that I should just buy a large computer monitor and some external speakers if I don't want to introduce a major security risk to my home?

Get a 43" Vizio e series for like $380 and don't be such a baby

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

TopherCStone posted:

... or just not give it your wifi password?

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you're in the UK, go to John Lewis if you have one near you and they have the curved sets on display. I wasn't sure if I'd like them or not, but I found the LG curve to be perfectly fine personally.

Thanks, I'll try that and see how I feel about the curve.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wasn't saying I'm opposed to smart features, just that the lack of isn't an issue. Assumed I'd be paying more for a feature I wont use.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Looking to pick a smart tv for the upcoming cyber Monday sale, Im looking for the best size and quality I can get for around $780. Any suggestions all?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Jayo posted:

Wasn't saying I'm opposed to smart features, just that the lack of isn't an issue. Assumed I'd be paying more for a feature I wont use.

There is literally (not a drop of figurative speech in this one) not one decent TV that is on shelves without some Smart TV app on it in the Year of our Lord Two Thousand and Fifteen. This comes up pretty much every page, hence the frustration and desire to change the topic title.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Telsa Cola posted:

Looking to pick a smart tv for the upcoming cyber Monday sale, Im looking for the best size and quality I can get for around $780. Any suggestions all?

800 is a bit of a no man's land between the budget sets and the decent 4Ks, but I'd keep an eye out for the Vizio M line. Not sure how much of those are going to be marked down significantly on Monday, though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Slowhanded posted:

800 is a bit of a no man's land between the budget sets and the decent 4Ks, but I'd keep an eye out for the Vizio M line. Not sure how much of those are going to be marked down significantly on Monday, though.

Thank you i will keep an eye out. There is a Hisense 50 inch 4k for sale for $548. Is that brand any good?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Literally the first result from googling "hisense reviews":

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/hisense-50h7gb-4k-led-tv-review

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm looking into a new TV for my bedroom for gaming/netflix/what have you, and I'm noticing that there are some sets that list their refresh rates as 60hz (effective). Are there really 30 hz screens out there? And for my needs, would the Vizio e40-c2 be a good choice? $300 is hard to pass up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm looking into a new TV for my bedroom for gaming/netflix/what have you, and I'm noticing that there are some sets that list their refresh rates as 60hz (effective). Are there really 30 hz screens out there? And for my needs, would the Vizio e40-c2 be a good choice? $300 is hard to pass up.

There are no 30hz tv displays that im aware of. There are some 4k displays that can only take a 24/30hz input but they are still 60hz (or higher) displays.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I'm looking at a Sony 4K TV ... One thing I can't seem to find anywhere is a master list of ALL apps available on Android TV. I can get some curated lists, but I need an exhaustive "here is everything in the Play store that you can install on a TV" list. What am I missing?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Someone post cyber Monday deals for TVs

stevewm
May 10, 2005

General E posted:

I'm looking at a Sony 4K TV ... One thing I can't seem to find anywhere is a master list of ALL apps available on Android TV. I can get some curated lists, but I need an exhaustive "here is everything in the Play store that you can install on a TV" list. What am I missing?

You can install any Android app on Android TV utilizing the web Play Store and access them through "Sideload launcher". However only android apps that provide a native Android TV interface will appear in the stock launcher. The Google Play interface on the TV will only show such apps as well.

As for a list, I don't think there is any. I wasn't able to find anything either, except for a short list here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3000e26_androidtv_apps_all?hl=en

Most of the major streaming services have Android TV apps, with exception of Amazon Prime video.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

neonbregna posted:

Someone post cyber Monday deals for TVs

You want this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747670

General E
Aug 25, 2003

stevewm posted:

Most of the major streaming services have Android TV apps, with exception of Amazon Prime video.

Ugh. No Amazon is tough. Now I need to find out about Watch Disney Jr and Watch ESPN. Not a huge deal, as I have a Roku, but I was hoping to have one fewer device in my living room if I upgraded to a Smart TV.

How bad is using something like the regular Android Amazon video app "sideloaded" via a remote?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
If I mainly just use TV for games (xbox one, ps4), occasional monitor for PC, and Netflix smart app, anything wrong with Vizio M49-C1 49 in? Or is the 4K useless for me?
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M49-C1-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TZY5JC6/

Currently have a 42in Vizio from 4 years ago (trying to figure out version since I'm at work, but suspect it is E series).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

General E posted:

Ugh. No Amazon is tough. Now I need to find out about Watch Disney Jr and Watch ESPN. Not a huge deal, as I have a Roku, but I was hoping to have one fewer device in my living room if I upgraded to a Smart TV.

How bad is using something like the regular Android Amazon video app "sideloaded" via a remote?

My Sony XBR55X810C came with an Amazon Prime app, so maybe it's not available on the store, but it's already on the TV. I can't imagine the higher Sony models don't come with it, also. WatchESPN does not seem to be available on, which is a bummer, nor does Disney Jr.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I want to mount a TV behind my computer monitors on my desk (which is against a wall), but be able to pull it out in front of my monitors when in use. Basically I want it to sit on the desk, and then be able to move up, forward, and then back down again (where it can still mostly sit on the desk). Do they make a mount/arm capable of this that isn't stupid expensive?

Maybe a normal arm (side/swivel motion) mounted sideways?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Elysium posted:

I want to mount a TV behind my computer monitors on my desk (which is against a wall), but be able to pull it out in front of my monitors when in use. Basically I want it to sit on the desk, and then be able to move up, forward, and then back down again (where it can still mostly sit on the desk). Do they make a mount/arm capable of this that isn't stupid expensive?

Maybe a normal arm (side/swivel motion) mounted sideways?

Sounds like this might work?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for something that I can basically play the very occasional XBox 360 game on or watch a movie or two when people visit. Am I crazy for considering something like this (15% discount on Amazon Warehouse today)?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Thanatosian posted:

I'm looking for something that I can basically play the very occasional XBox 360 game on or watch a movie or two when people visit. Am I crazy for considering something like this (15% discount on Amazon Warehouse today)?

It's by no means a "nice TV," but if you aren't critical and just looking for a TV I'm sure it's fine. The worst case scenario is you return it, it's Amazon so you're pretty well covered.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
So I'm in Canada... for a good budget 4k 55" how much better is a Sony XBR55X810C vs. the Vizio M55. I unfortunately missed the boat on a good sale on the sony as they're out of stock and best buy seems to be only national store that carries them..

I want the tv soon enough that my budget is pretty much maxed at under 1500CAD and I'm doing general TV stuff and some xbone/ps4 gaming.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't comment on better but I've been watching hockey and playing Bloodborne since I got home from work on my 810c (55") and it's basically flawless. I have no technical data to back anything up but 2.5 weeks in and I love this TV.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The Sony is a considerably better TV because of the motion blur handling (not surprising the previous poster liked it for hockey). I'd hold out as long as you can, the Vizio M55 is not a bad TV but the Sony is quite a good deal better.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Slowhanded posted:

The Sony is a considerably better TV because of the motion blur handling (not surprising the previous poster liked it for hockey). I'd hold out as long as you can, the Vizio M55 is not a bad TV but the Sony is quite a good deal better.

Fair enough, just wish somewhere national other than Best Buy stocked it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife picked up a cheap Westinghouse TV for her office. I hooked it up to a Dish Joey and it is spitting out an HDCP error. HDCP shits on me once again.