Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

fargom posted:

I have never seen a self own on the level that Octopode demonstrated in the last 10ish pages. Yikes, i'd be ashamed to show my face around here after posting that garbage.

Not as good as the one in his avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Hold the phone:

(source)

Is this saying what I think it's saying? It's okay to do it now because development of actual content is so far behind we won't notice a delay.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Hold the phone:

(source)

Is this saying what I think it's saying? It's okay to do it now because development of actual content is so far behind we won't notice a delay.

Well yeah, they are too busy building new studios and browsing the RH furniture catalog to worry about the entire character team leaving or the huge amount of producer turnover

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hold the phone:

(source)

Jokes aside that guy is actually right. It's better to do it as soon as possible and it is true that they will run into content generation issues much sooner than engine development delays.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
Hello Darkness my old friend....

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

fargom posted:

I have never seen a self own on the level that Octopode demonstrated in the last 10ish pages. Yikes, i'd be ashamed to show my face around here after posting that garbage.

I don't think you get octopode exactly.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Vintage Burger King Star Wars glasses

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Iglocska posted:

Jokes aside that guy is actually right. It's better to do it as soon as possible and it is true that they will run into content generation issues much sooner than engine development delays.

He is. To me this isn't a joke about how hosed star citizen is, it's about how close some citizens are to being fully self aware while being just out of reach, like how being so far behind in content development that rewriting the entire engine at this stage of the game from dx11 to dx12 isn't a huge red flag.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bootcha posted:

Kinda reminds me when Kerberos put out SotS2, a broken mess. And then they put out the halfway enjoyable The Pit.

The best thing about SotS 2 was finding out all the things that didn't work. Like how security was worthless and not implemented and the AI would spent all of its money on it.

Actually, the best thing about SotS 2 was reminding people that SotS 1 is still a pretty good game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Patch notes!

Wait- there are parties and contacts and invites? How the hell do you invite someone to a group?

Every single patch so far has fixed multiple server-side crashes. It's kind of crazy how many there were when this went out the door.

Nothing crazy about it if you already knew (like I predicted) right off the bat they were going to rush it out.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

He is. To me this isn't a joke about how hosed star citizen is, it's about how close some citizens are to being fully self aware while being just out of reach, like how being so far behind in content development that rewriting the entire engine at this stage of the game from dx11 to dx12 isn't a huge red flag.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

So whenever they release a patch, 2.0 is stable for a little while then goes back to being a crash-fest. What could be the root of that problem?

Possibly their 32*3 hack in their world definition. And the server.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fargom posted:

Yeah, don't scare him off please. We already lost Karl.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Ben, on the Anniversary sale, "We made a lot more money than I expected."

:lesnick: said once, I think it was last year, that everything he said had to present a positive image of the game as he thought that was his main role. He spins everything into a positive. The total from the sale was about 500k more than I thought they would get with a few days left, I thought they'd be 4.4-4.8 million, they did really well at the weekend and probably the end of the month helped with people getting paid.

More money than they expected is bullshit though, that's exactly what he said for the terrible space bus sale when they only just broke 1 million for the whole of June. The target for the sale was always 100 million, I have zero doubt about that, they came within 500k with over 3000 Phoenixs unsold but it's not terrible as 500k is something they should easily be able to pick up in December. Any further away and 100 million wasn't a safe bet for 2015 and Chris Roberts said in media interviews at the start of the year they should break 100 million this year, so that's why they sold everything they could apart from the Javelin & 890 Jump.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got pissed getting an email from cig inviting me to the pu even though I unsubscribed months ago. No guys, I'm not interested in funding Roberts' movie studios thanks though.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 2, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hold the phone:

(source)

Yes. Please ignore those idiots. They have NO clue wtf they're talking about. And yet they wonder why RSI/CIG keep screwing them over and over and over.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I predicted all this in my latest blog which was a re cap of things already 2 weeks in the past.
I totally called it.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
2.0.0G released today. WTF is streaming it: http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

They fixed the login error and server connection problem that was causing the clients to crash in 2.0.0f. Also, they fixed the issue another goon was having on the previous page where the game would load and say 'server full'. That's corrected now.

Also, they got rid of the jitter that was happening at fast acceleration in ships.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Hold the phone:

(source)

Wait, I thought the sperg said that development is not late? We are only 2 years into development. :clint:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Amun Khonsu posted:

Wait, I thought the sperg said that development is not late? We are only 2 years into development. :clint:
Give it time. Pretty soon, Star Citizen will be one year into development.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

:lesnick: said once, I think it was last year, that everything he said had to present a positive image of the game as he thought that was his main role. He spins everything into a positive. The total from the sale was about 500k more than I thought they would get with a few days left, I thought they'd be 4.4-4.8 million, they did really well at the weekend and probably the end of the month helped with people getting paid.

More money than they expected is bullshit though, that's exactly what he said for the terrible space bus sale when they only just broke 1 million for the whole of June. The target for the sale was always 100 million, I have zero doubt about that, they came within 500k with over 3000 Phoenixs unsold but it's not terrible as 500k is something they should easily be able to pick up in December. Any further away and 100 million wasn't a safe bet for 2015 and Chris Roberts said in media interviews at the start of the year they should break 100 million this year, so that's why they sold everything they could apart from the Javelin & 890 Jump.

Yeah, the fact that they couldn't sell all the Phoenix "inventory", is telling. And my guess is that they're probably going to be selling the Javelin, 890 and others for Christmas.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Loiosh posted:

2.0.0G released today. WTF is streaming it: http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

They fixed the login error and server connection problem that was causing the clients to crash in 2.0.0f. Also, they fixed the issue another goon was having on the previous page where the game would load and say 'server full'. That's corrected now.

Also, they got rid of the jitter that was happening at fast acceleration in ships.

Clicked the link, and the game graphics immediately glitched out when the video loaded. The guy got to play literally 20 seconds before the game warped his character to outer space and killed him.

AAA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Obviously there is a lot we don't know, such as how trustworthy the numbers are. It's possible that human error resulted in incorrect numbers being entered, or that there's a glitch in CIG's system. That said the correlation between ship sales and negative delta days is pretty significant. At least at first glance it seems hard to dismiss the feeling that CIG is doing something wonky with their numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9mexeTL_o

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

gently caress you.

That was slightly less satisfying than I thought it would be.

Only slightly, though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

That was slightly less satisfying than I thought it would be.

Only slightly, though.

Well, you're not Karl. So I was going for slightly less drama.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Enchanted Hat posted:

Clicked the link, and the game graphics immediately glitched out when the video loaded. The guy got to play literally 20 seconds before the game warped his character to outer space and killed him.

AAA

He's currently trying the FPS module, and I must say, CiG have successfully fulfilled their promise: He's getting at least one frame per second.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, don't scare him off please. We already lost Karl.

You would have to actually get to him first. So far that shows no signs of actually happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
There's no way Star Citizen the best game ever wasn't going to support Dx12, I don't know why there is such a fuss about this. From the outside you can't tell if it's a good idea or a bad idea at this stage.

Throwing away most of the FPS work is bad, redoing the skeleton 8 times is bad. But even for those stupid wasteful decisions if the backers are covering the cost of the waste, which they are, then it doesn't really matter to CIG as long as the money continues to roll in.

There's 100+ ships, several of them massive, 70 odd SQ42 missions, a hollywood blockbuster movie to edit, female avatars to add, an entire mission system for the PU, NPCs, AI, ship weapons, ship systems, 3 stupid alien languages, 100 systems, flight attendant tasks plus dozens of careers and years worth of other poo poo to add. If large world and the zone system are actually really in as they've said, the game engine is actually a lot further along than all the other assorted crap, so I think they've got plenty of time for whatever they need to do for Dx12.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am starting a PC specs war in that stream

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

There's no way Star Citizen the best game ever wasn't going to support Dx12, I don't know why there is such a fuss about this. From the outside you can't tell if it's a good idea or a bad idea at this stage.

Throwing away most of the FPS work is bad, redoing the skeleton 8 times is bad. But even for those stupid wasteful decisions if the backers are covering the cost of the waste, which they are, then it doesn't really matter to CIG as long as the money continues to roll in.

There's 100+ ships, several of them massive, 70 odd SQ42 missions, a hollywood blockbuster movie to edit, female avatars to add, an entire mission system for the PU, NPCs, AI, ship weapons, ship systems, 3 stupid alien languages, 100 systems, flight attendant tasks plus dozens of careers and years worth of other poo poo to add. If large world and the zone system are actually really in as they've said, the game engine is actually a lot further along than all the other assorted crap, so I think they've got plenty of time for whatever they need to do for Dx12.

ahahahahahahahaha! That's it. Get out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I find you I scratch your couch

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I've seen power point presentations with more frames per second than this stream.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Daztek posted:

Is there a Star Citizen animes yet

Stretch goal for 110 millions. And then 2 weeks.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Yeah, thinking about it you're actually right, the asset creation will probably take way longer than porting the engine.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Well, I found out what happened to Karl. It's bad. Real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vao5rn7OHPo

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

Is there a Star Citizen animes yet

Yup. https://tinyurl.com/pcnlw7d

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

ahahahahahahahaha! That's it. Get out.

Derek, did you seriously expect them not to support Dx12? Chris Roberts has a long history of always pushing technology in his games. Any new thing that came along he's always said Star Citizen will support it (the recent lack of interest in VR being an exception and that could be he's waiting to see how that shakes out). Does Dx12 require more work than 64 bit large world, assume for the moment that they actually did what they said they were going to do with large world even though you think they fudged it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Iglocska posted:

Yeah, thinking about it you're actually right, the asset creation will probably take way longer than porting the engine.

Asset creation is and has been the most time intensive part of games since forever.

Even when you don't have Chris Roberts deciding to re-do things that were previously done 5 times because IMMERSION.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Well, I found out what happened to Karl. It's bad. Real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vao5rn7OHPo

I wonder what you actually searched for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek, did you seriously expect them not to support Dx12? Chris Roberts has a long history of always pushing technology in his games. Any new thing that came along he's always said Star Citizen will support it (the recent lack of interest in VR being an exception and that could be he's waiting to see how that shakes out). Does Dx12 require more work than 64 bit large world, assume for the moment that they actually did what they said they were going to do with large world even though you think they fudged it.

Nope. I never saw the DX12 farce coming. I thought it was Mantle and that was it.

The DX12 port is way worse than their 64-Bit positioning kludge. Trust me on this. It's going to be the stuff of nightmares and I don't believe that branch will ever see the light of day (as in merged in) before this whole thing collapses.

• Locked thread