Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

UppaTree posted:

For the second time, if we take everyone along, we have to deal with...

1: Dangerous monsters.
2: A glacial pace.
3: A lack of food.

We can use (NOT MAGIC) to fix ONE AND ONLY ONE OF THESE but we risk..

4: Being noticed by other horrors.

Port the kids back, then head out with as many adults as we can stealthily transport. If we try to save everybody, we won't save anybody.

For the love of El all of the teleport options suck. Maybe, MAYBE we can save the kids but we lose out on much better stuff for ourselves. Make an artifact or weapon and get the heck out of dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is everyone voting to send the kids alone assuming that Tudiya will be able to understand them and that they're capable of telling him what's going on?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomPauI posted:

Can we make a giant tortoise for us to ride home on?

Why ride one giant tortoise when we could all be riding giant wolves.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LivesInGrey posted:

Is everyone voting to send the kids alone assuming that Tudiya will be able to understand them and that they're capable of telling him what's going on?

Tudiya has mighty language skills.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Chantilly Say posted:

One thing I'm pretty sure about : when we get back, Ish is going to need a while to piece together exactly how stupid we are, and we're gonna need a really long nap.

I wish we could just not talk to Ish. Or at least I wish we could just walk away when he inevitably starts spewing insulting self-righteous garbage. We just freed innumerable human souls from the hands of demons and returned their power to El but I'm 99% sure Ish is gonna bitch and moan but refuse to explain why he's bitching and moaning. It's like he's our awful girlfriend that we can't talk ourselves into leaving.

Either way, El will know what we did, and that's all that really matters in Ur once you get past the politics. The thread seems to finally be realizing that it doesn't matter what the nature of El is, faith is the smart bet if we wanna become a Tudiya level muscle-god.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If we make a weapon, how awesome would it be exactly? Good enough to gut Gebeb and free the souls(?) inside?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Voting:

Create a bow powerful enough to shoot individuals all the way to Zepath. Spend the next day or two shooting javelins with markings on them telling Tudiya to get ready to catch some folks, then shoot the villagers home.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Diogines posted:

All of the available material will be committed to the purpose you set it to.

I'm a smidge worried about this. "All the available materials" includes:

Us
Snarls
Giants
Laurels
Platform
Villagers

Question!

Since the laurels warned us cutting the giants open would "Increase the likelihood of detection" do we sense that we've been detected?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

LivesInGrey posted:

Even with the language barrier, I doubt he decides to suddenly not take care of 180 random kids that drop out of the sky. He'll take them in.

I think the majority of you just seem to be having trouble accepting that a hard choice has to be made here. Both teleporting options do suck to some degree, and both leave hard questions on what to do once the teleport has happened.

If we teleport the kids, we have to deal with 400+ adults still and a long journey. Why does that instantly mean we are taking them all with us?

I mean - I know you guys are dead set on trying to save everyone even to the point of oblivion - but we can always leave the 400 to fend for themselves, free men and women. Tell them El has saved their children and given them freedom, now they must find their own salvation. Send them off into the wild. Most will die, if not all of them. The Balls go home.

It sucks, but there are no great options. Making the difficult choice to save 1/3rd of them completely and leaving the rest to fend on their own is something we should seriously consider.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
I think people also want to take adults so that there is not evidence of who we are or where we're from, assuming that the giants even know anything about Ur. Taking everyone with us is a cleaner escape but we can't just walk away with their kids then.

So we send the kids, and we run some risks with the adults being here. They can describe what we and our men looked like, our creation story and maybe which direction we came from and in which direction we left?
I don't disagree that the safer bet on saving 1/3 of the village is reasonable but I want to cover our asses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can't believe we haven't asked this: If we consume everything how much stronger/more powerful will we be?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Amazed posted:

arm the adult population and curb stomp a couple more cities

Ahahahahah you're not joking you are the joke.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Make the endless food and water to nullify weariness so we can move constantly the whole way home 24/8 if that's doable

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I wish we could just not talk to Ish. Or at least I wish we could just walk away when he inevitably starts spewing insulting self-righteous garbage. We just freed innumerable human souls from the hands of demons and returned their power to El but I'm 99% sure Ish is gonna bitch and moan but refuse to explain why he's bitching and moaning. It's like he's our awful girlfriend that we can't talk ourselves into leaving.

Either way, El will know what we did, and that's all that really matters in Ur once you get past the politics. The thread seems to finally be realizing that it doesn't matter what the nature of El is, faith is the smart bet if we wanna become a Tudiya level muscle-god.

I wish we could not decide in advance how to respond to things he hasn't said. El clearly approves of what we did here, what makes you think Ish would second-guess him?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Task Manager posted:

Even with the language barrier, I doubt he decides to suddenly not take care of 180 random kids that drop out of the sky. He'll take them in.

I think the majority of you just seem to be having trouble accepting that a hard choice has to be made here. Both teleporting options do suck to some degree, and both leave hard questions on what to do once the teleport has happened.

If we teleport the kids, we have to deal with 400+ adults still and a long journey. Why does that instantly mean we are taking them all with us?

I mean - I know you guys are dead set on trying to save everyone even to the point of oblivion - but we can always leave the 400 to fend for themselves, free men and women. Tell them El has saved their children and given them freedom, now they must find their own salvation. Send them off into the wild. Most will die, if not all of them. The Balls go home.

It sucks, but there are no great options. Making the difficult choice to save 1/3rd of them completely and leaving the rest to fend on their own is something we should seriously consider.

If we don't teleport, we and all of the people left behind are dead. Giant mighty men will be up our asses guaranteed. Even if it takes them a month to find out what happened in Gebek, they'll be running day and night to catch up and murder us. And then they get all those tasty souls back to torture for eternity. I just don't see how that is a good option, even if we teleport everyone and they all end up dying, their souls will be free.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

a cat irl posted:

I think people also want to take adults so that there is not evidence of who we are or where we're from, assuming that the giants even know anything about Ur.

It's definitely a risk - there's a high chance they are all dead by the time the gold giant gets back though. Realistically, none of these people could survive more than a few nights out there alone more than likely.

As gruesome as it might be, we could also always offer to grant mercy to those who wanted it. A clean death and knowing your children are safe is probably much more preferable to death by being eaten or being an eternal soul prisoner.

I fear no matter what action we take, if Amakalite wishes to track us down, we will be found. Choosing not to teleport the adults does increase this risk though, definitely.

Edit:

If we don't teleport, we and all of the people left behind are dead. Giant mighty men will be up our asses guaranteed. Even if it takes them a month to find out what happened in Gebek, they'll be running day and night to catch up and murder us. And then they get all those tasty souls back to torture for eternity. I just don't see how that is a good option, even if we teleport everyone and they all end up dying, their souls will be free.

Like I said above, I think the men and women die to more mundane means way before the giants rally. They arent going to stay here and risk being eaten - they'll run and within a few days be dead to whatever random monster gets them. The Balls will be fine in that scenario.

I fear no matter what action we take, if Amakalite wants to find who did this, they will. I agree not teleporting the adults makes this risk increased, though.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 7, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Task Manager posted:

I fear no matter what action we take, if Amakalite wishes to track us down, we will be found.

The whispers told us this if we teleport, it will be far enough that they either can not or will not.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Waci posted:

I wish we could not decide in advance how to respond to things he hasn't said. El clearly approves of what we did here, what makes you think Ish would second-guess him?

Just based on past experiences. But here's hoping he doesn't and is decent to us.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SKY COQ posted:

What if we raised up Gebek on a tangle of grape vines and semen and walked it home

Diogines posted:

You can feel the immense heat coming from the approaching wall of molten bronze and copper. As you land behind your people, you grow to enormous proportions, two hundred feet tall...

A tortoise of godly proportions.

As you stand on your hind legs and become fully aroused, the back of your shell becomes fully visible to your people. It is decorated with thousands of images of Koa being sexually degraded in horrendous ways. The themes are a great and varied multitude. Bondage. Excrement. Unconventional points of entry. A number of beings suggested to be Koa's mother are involved.

As your divine loins grow to their full girth, a massive tortoise phallus and probably the largest in the world, ridiculously huge even for your massive height.

You cry out to the Cimbrite army.

"Do you not see fair Cimbrians? The weakness of the tyrant is matched only by his callous disregard for your well-being. Many of you lie dead and yet none have died by my hand, nor the hands of my army, how can this be? In his cowardly desperation to escape me once I destroyed his little suit he flung shards of bronze into your ranks and now many of your brothers lie dead. And now while I stand in front of my army and protect them from his pitiful wave of bronze, he cowers in fear behind you.

ARE YOU NOT ASHAMED? KOA, YOU MONSTER. A MAN MUST HIDE BEHIND HIS GOD WHEN HE IS AFRAID, NEVER THE OTHER WAY AROUND. IF YOU EVER CARED FOR YOUR PEOPLE IN THE LEAST YOU WILL FACE ME NOW.

You do not need to be afraid of him any more cimbrians, MY people are not afraid of him, behold.

Oh brave Gomorrans, would you rather go on living without your beloved God, or perish in Koa's infernal forge?

Which of you, oh poor unfortunate Cimbrians, can truly answer the same? You do not need to fear this demon, this false god, ever again. I can save you from him but your salvation must come as an expression of your own free will, I would not have you as mindless cattle under my rule any more than I would wish you to be mindless cattle under Koa. I you want me to save you you must show me that you want to be saved, get on your knees and tell me that you want to be saved."

The bronze wall gets perilously close to your city as your army as you speak.

You begin to make a series of noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJ...etailpage#t=15s

And then... there is an explosion of semen which hits the wall of bronze with a great jet of steam and sizzling. As you push against the wall with a continuous stream, you push it to the center of your two armies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...lBjoDWK2I#t=60s

At the very front of your army is Kuret, the Samanite priest who Narod made an example of. He is not wearing a stich, utterly nude, wearing only purple body paint from his head to his toes. Scratch that, on closer examination someone seems to have tattooed every inch of his skin with grapes. He is carrying a large bronze axe.

He cries out "WHAT ARE YOU GAWKING AT!? THE ONEGOD IS WAITING! ONE GOOOOOOD!"

Kuret charges.

A moment later Koa's sons cry out "ONE GOD!" and chase after him and with them, your entire army cries out "ONE GOD!" and charges forward. With their faith you feel a surge of power and the wall of semen and flaming metal slowly pushes towards Cimbra.

In the city behind you, Kranzelbarti has broken down the southern gate of your city. A few of the undead guards are fighting him but he is easily mowing them down with a flaming lash, yet his focus does not seem to be upon them. You see about twenty children, most of whom are missing one arm or one hand and five adult women running for the gate from various places in your city.

It is not visible to your mortals through the molten metal and semen, but you see them now. It is as if they have just appeared to your senses, where were they hiding? Three thousand more men are flooding out of the gates of Cimbra. Two thousand of them are armored in iron and the other thousand seem to be carrying... bows.

Bows!?!? No one in southern Akkad uses ranged weapons in warfare, it is a waste of resources to have mortals spend time training in their use...

Apparently Koa thought they would come in handy. As his other soldiers come into view, you feel Koa gaining strength, the wall of molten metal and semen stops moving.

As your army screams like madmen and runs towards the flaming wall, the other soldiers are getting into position. Koa's army remains stationary. You expected 800 men in iron and found 1,200... and now there are 3,200.

A summary of your forces: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...5#post413416163

Koa showed up with more men than you expected to begin with as well as more iron armor and now... your men are now significantly outnumbered in sheer numbers and in iron armor. Sebek has warned you repeatedly that the other gods will take grave offense if they learn of the existance of your Undead or Rangers, but they are still waiting for your orders...

For your further viewing pleasure, unrelated, but I had to throw this out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3BYCT5oWw

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Task Manager posted:

This, with Ibleam being what, less than a week away? He's never going to send any sort of substantial attack force one to two months out and leave Zepath at risk.

Two months for a refugee convoy is not even close to two months for a Mighty Man, or even for a Mighty Man and an ox cart full of food.

Just based on past experiences. But here's hoping he doesn't and is decent to us.

Please link me the times he disapproved of us doing things we were directly told to do by El.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

So what I'm seeing here is a kick-rear end tortoise which makes plan tortoise sound even more appealing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Baha I wound up finding an extremely sketchy Yahoo Answers to see what happens when you heat semen for that fight. God that was a good game.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think we should teleport the kids, offer to take about 40-50 people who are able to keep up with us and then tell everyone else that we are sorry. I know this runs a risk of having the giants learn about us, but I think that Gebeb will know what happened to him regardless. It seems unrealistic and perhaps even a little gamey to come up with a solution that doesn't leave us with any loose ends or risk. If we try and teleport everyone into dangerous territory then we run the serious risk of having everyone die, not just the people who we are trying to protect. If we teleport the children, we can save nearly 200 people that otherwise we doomed to eternity as giant food. This is of course in addition to the THOUSANDS of souls we released from torment from the giants.

It might be morally repugnant, but we have to leave a huge amount of these adults to their fates. Also, if we die trying to bring them home then we can never save other souls from demons.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Waci posted:

Please link me the times he disapproved of us doing things we were directly told to do by El.

When have we ever been told anything directly by El?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Waci posted:

The whispers told us this if we teleport, it will be far enough that they either can not or will not.

There are other way they can find out who did this than by following a physical trail. The teleport will hide where we went, possibly who we were - but there's still a chance they piece this carnage together somehow.

Waci posted:

Two months for a refugee convoy is not even close to two months for a Mighty Man, or even for a Mighty Man and an ox cart full of food.

That doesn't change the fact it will still be a journey of several weeks, for a bunch of Ruths. Tudiya just loves sending a sizeable portion of his defense force weeks away to save a bunch of natives.

He sent Aaron and Fifty House Men to Ibleam. He's not going to send even close to that to us. Into wilderness that we've been told we have survived solely thanks to moving quickly and Snarls nose, which a Mighty man with an ox cart of food does not have.

Tudiya ain't sending a relief force off into the wild blue yonder. Not during these times.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

When have we ever been told anything directly by El?

Remember the sacrifice when we got the thing we used to seal away Gebeb?

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Whatever we end up doing, I'm looking forward to Ish going, "... you did what? You got here how? " *Huge sigh with massive facepalm*

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Last round of answers for the night:

Rahul posted:

Edit: how close could we teleport people to the forest that contains zepas monument?
Still far south of it.

FoxTerrier posted:

I asked this earlier. He said we had to pick one, sadly.

edit: Although, you know what, I never asked exactly how fast it could make us. That could matter.

Diog exactly how fast could we make everyone? How quickly could we do the trip if we made something that sped us all up?

Speeding them up sufficiently that the trip is short and easy, temporarily, will be highly noticeable.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ask our knowledge:
Will we (Enkidel) be stopped from entering Ur?
If you will be, you have no knowledge of it.

Can we sense Ishamal?
If you can, you are not aware of it.

Could we make a tool to break the hide of a Hunger Demon as we know it, to free the trapped souls within?
You need a clearer knowledge of what you are calling a "hunger demon" before you can figure out an answer to this.

Amazed posted:

Can we
Send the amalikites home, and we and the balls remain here to further wreck the giant's poo poo?
There is certainly no reason you can't. Well, subject to the restrictions described earlier on how many you can move and how quickly.

Aades posted:

Can we give all adults presently here mighty man strength?
For a given value of "mighty man", yes. Not all Mighty Men are created equal. And not all of the Amalakite men. But many. This will be highly noticeable.

Theglavwen posted:

How much further could we teleport everyone if we added our bow and/or sandals as fuel?
The sandals will add significantly more than your bow.

4The total increase in distance is marginal.

Theglavwen posted:

What if we added Tudiya's shield?
The shield... won't help?

FoxTerrier posted:

......Diog can we give everyone wings or otherwise make everyone fly (independently, no transporter)? How quickly/effectively could they fly to Zepath if so?
If you wish to permanently give the Amalakites wings, yes. The journey will still be long, but far shorter. A.... flock(?) of 600 might draw the eyes of the hostile natives of the wilderness, but this is unlikely to drastically increase your visibility otherwise.

jazzyhattrick posted:

Question for diog: how long would the journey from Everfang's land to home take if everybody in the party is riding a wolf?
Do you mean inside of their colons, after they eat the farmers? You speculated that Everfang called the wolves together over a great distance, gradually over time. A pack that large in one place would never find enough food.

RandomPauI posted:

Can we make a giant tortoise for us to ride home on?
Yes.

A living creature as a means of transport would likely less notice than a flying building overhead. It would however need to be quite large to fit 587 people farmers as well as your men. It would likely be large enough to scare off many monsters and wild beasts.

But probably not demons. Whatever they are.

Algid posted:

If we make a weapon, how awesome would it be exactly? Good enough to gut Gebeb and free the souls(?) inside?
Not great enough to smite Gebeb.

But great indeed. The resources available here pale in comparison to Gebeb's might.

Travic posted:

Question!

Since the laurels warned us cutting the giants open would "Increase the likelihood of detection" do we sense that we've been detected?
If you have, you don't know it.

Outrail posted:

Can't believe we haven't asked this: If we consume everything how much stronger/more powerful will we be?
Much.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Stargate everyone

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Diogines posted:

Last round of answers for the night:

Damnit.

I'll be honest, I am pretty torn here. Leaving aside anything else, I'll note that David at least was on the verge of challenging Uriah to a duel because he wouldn't try to save everyone, so that's something to look forward to.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It might be best if we could do a partial teleport and eat the rest. If we had enough ??? to be a syched up mighty dude we could burn it off running defence all the way home.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tomn posted:

Damnit.

I'll be honest, I am pretty torn here. Leaving aside anything else, I'll note that David at least was on the verge of challenging Uriah to a duel because he wouldn't try to save everyone, so that's something to look forward to.

Nah, I'm sure they'll get over it fine.
Everyone was really worked up, it was a tense situation, and I want to believe that it speaks of Uriah's growth as a person that he was trying to be the pragmatic one when Uriah from 20 years ago probably would have been "gently caress yeah! David's right!"

I'm proud of them both :3:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
How far would the teleport go if it left us and the Balls behind?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Task Manager posted:

There are other way they can find out who did this than by following a physical trail. The teleport will hide where we went, possibly who we were - but there's still a chance they piece this carnage together somehow..
Well, yeah but even if they do;

The Whispers posted:

If we teleport, it will be far enough that they either can not or will not.

And in any case re: The Trail of Tears, escorting a group of ~500 for several weeks through dangerous terrain will have a higher success rate than escorting a group of ~400 for several months through certain death terrain imo

Lets be honest, we aren't leaving anyone behind

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yo.

Here's an idea

Make a giant bird to fly us all. Apparently creatures will attract less notice. And we can name it Larry Bird!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Every plan here carries some dangers, so I vote giant turtle.
Just as stylish as a floating temple and safer.

Redundant vote.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 7, 2015

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Uhhh...

A large worm to burrow a tunnel straight to Zepa lands. It will secrete some kinda parasite which will harden the walls to prevent creepy crawlies from entering our tunnel or a cave in. These parasites will also glow bioluminescence like we saw that one time we went in the cave. And I guess the big worm shits delicious and nutritios fruits that smell nice and are very watery.

Make that.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I feel like a giant tank would be cheaper and more effective than a giant turtle. Wouldn't need to be as large to hold everyone, could have a roof and sturdy walls, etc.

Would a ground vehicle suitable for carrying everyone be allowed into Zepa's land?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Uhhh...

A large worm to burrow a tunnel straight to Zepa lands. It will secrete some kinda parasite which will harden the walls to prevent creepy crawlies from entering our tunnel or a cave in. These parasites will also glow bioluminescence like we saw that one time we went in the cave. And I guess the big worm shits delicious and nutritios fruits that smell nice and are very watery.

Make that.

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Uhhh...

Make that.

It's an interesting idea. I see two issues with it however even if it's possible:
1. The Ur-Underdark is very extensive. We've got a good chance of tunneling into an untold number of nasties below the surface. Maybe if we don't go too deep we can avoid the worst of this.

2. We'd be creating an underground invasion-express highway for an army of vengeful giants if they manage to find the entrance.

Still, an interesting out of the box idea. I'm curious to see what diog says about it.