Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…why is it that people so often seem to misuse the term “ambitious” when relating to this game?

Maybe I'm missing a trick here, but the only somewhat ambitious part of SC is the purported seamless transition between station, ship, and space environments, and even that one is only really ambitious due to the interlinked local physics of each zone. For everything else, there are games out right now that does what SC is supposed to do on a far larger, far more intricate and complex, and far more ambitious scale.

It's the same between visual fidelity and detail on the one hand (which is moving in this direction anyway as hardware becomes more powerful), and the claim of “realism” on the other, even though realism is so far divorced from everything related to SC, and indeed any space shooter. The “realism” is just a function of predictable computer evolution, not of some grand vision… and especially not as deadlines keep being missed and spectacular visuals become common-place simply because that's what happens over time.

Do these people simply not play space games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tippis posted:

No. They just mentally edit that part out. You have to rectify the past to achieve goodthink, after all.

Oceanea has always been at war with Eastasia Star Ctizen was always slated for a 2014 2015 2016 2017 release and development only ever really started in 2011 2012 2013 2014.

I'm glad i'm not the only one getting a slight "1984" feeling from the groupthink the "true fans" are spreading on the media.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

That article is structured like an 8th grade book report.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

…why is it that people so often seem to misuse the term “ambitious” when relating to this game?

It's more the 'seamless' move from walking to barrelling along at multiple c that is 'ambitious', but having seen this presented for the past couple of decades in various forms (Mercenary being the first), I struggle to actually understand the reason why it's desirable.

Eve Online provoked much the same reaction with walking in stations; why?

The reasoning ultimately came down to opening a revenue stream for clothing and geegaws for your 'apartment', but the 'win' on the players side was a lot more amorphous and involved role-playing, something that inevitably involves a grown rear end man pretending to be a waifu space-hooker.

edit:

aleksendr posted:

I'm glad i'm not the only one getting a slight "1984" feeling from the groupthink the "true fans" are spreading on the media.

Doublethink is 1984. The ability to hold in your mind two entirely contradictory concepts without a problem. Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon where a number of people reach the same fallacious conclusions to strengthen the group. The latter is why the Romans would have someone that would advocate outside of the group to allow for all possibilities.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 7, 2015

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Their target audience being gamers then?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

There's a portion of them who say they haven't played any video games in years.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Yes. Because you know, they had to build a company, studios all those years. Then the real development started in Nov 2014. But it's all good now though because it's coming in 2016.

Didn't you say something major was going to happen this month? We're getting close to d-day on whatever that rumor is. Who's going to be departing?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

quote:

A myth. Star Citizen have been in development now for 3 years. Most other AAA games have far more development time. So don't just repeat something you heard on Internet, research it before writing about it.

LOL!!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Maybe I'm missing a trick here, but the only somewhat ambitious part of SC is the purported seamless transition between station, ship, and space environments, and even that one is only really ambitious due to the interlinked local physics of each zone. For everything else, there are games out right now that does what SC is supposed to do on a far larger, far more intricate and complex, and far more ambitious scale.

It's the same between visual fidelity and detail on the one hand (which is moving in this direction anyway as hardware becomes more powerful), and the claim of “realism” on the other, even though realism is so far divorced from everything related to SC, and indeed any space shooter. The “realism” is just a function of predictable computer evolution, not of some grand vision… and especially not as deadlines keep being missed and spectacular visuals become common-place simply because that's what happens over time.

*cough* Line Of..*cough* Defe*cough*

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Which is still better structured than Star Citizen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

Well you have to stay pure for Star Citizen, you know. It won't embrace the unclean, who have soiled themselves with other games. Which is why Rainbow Six: Siege presented such a huge dilemma for me.

Sarsapariller posted:

Didn't you say something major was going to happen this month? We're getting close to d-day on whatever that rumor is. Who's going to be departing?

A whole bunch of people are supposed to be leaving over Christmas break, per Crobbits

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

It's more the 'seamless' move from walking to barrelling along at multiple c that is 'ambitious', but having seen this presented for the past couple of decades in various forms (Mercenary being the first), I struggle to actually understand the reason why it's desirable.

Eve Online provoked much the same reaction with walking in stations; why?

The reasoning ultimately came down to opening a revenue stream for clothing and geegaws for your 'apartment', but the 'win' on the players side was a lot more amorphous and involved role-playing, something that inevitably involves a grown rear end man pretending to be a waifu space-hooker.

That's the feeling I get more and more: that ideas are being thrown into the mix without any consideration to that singularly important question. It also makes them not consider what has and hasn't been tried before and what the results were.

The constant cries for “immersion” might hold some superficial value, but at the end of the day, it turns out that it just becomes a synonym for cumbersome, fiddly, and terminally boring. That was part of the problem with WiS: aside from the failed microtransaction scheme, it was just the most inefficient UI imaginable, and it came as no surprise that the first thing CCP patched back in was the ability to directly access your ships and go flying rather than run around and click virtual virtual buttons on in-game holo-displays. The parts that were supposed to give it any kind of gameplay purpose were nowhere to be seen and turned out to have been unceremoniously dumped just to get the tech demo out of the door. Now we're seeing something very similar happen again for much the same reason.

But I suppose that partially answers my question: somewhere along the line, someone confused “ambition” with “dumping everything in without any filter” — more is better! If anything, the opposite should be true…

Omi-Polari posted:

The scary part is that I think we can include CRobber on that list… :ohdear:
Even with his well-documented inability to manage a project in mind, some of the stuff he's suggesting only makes any sense from that perspective.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

Doublethink is 1984. The ability to hold in your mind two entirely contradictory concepts without a problem. Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon where a number of people reach the same fallacious conclusions to strengthen the group. The latter is why the Romans would have someone that would advocate outside of the group to allow for all possibilities.

So they sudffer from both ? Having a "Doublethink" condition of "Things are awesome and on track" and "We are already 4 years in that project with nothing more than a Tech Demo and a huge list of promised features" in the brain at the same time and a groupthink of "Only us really understand this awesome dream/game, buy more ship" ?

The whales are going to spew so much tears once reality knock on the door next year. Even if that thing come out and is awesome in four more years the rational people will be able to say "Look, i know the game is good, but your 35k placed on the Down average 10 years ago would be worth 39k now, allowing you to buy even more ships if you choosed too"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thor-Stryker posted:

Didn't the whole maneuvering thrusters idea come about because of the sperg team for the ship contest that actually 'balanced' their ship around thrusters having individual physics?

I only say this because I remember the Cutlass not having those hilarious maneuvering thrusters bolted onto the side of the hull until after the contest.

No they've been doing it since the beginning. You can see the design in the Hornet. The problem is that CIG does not take into account the ship's maneuverability until the model is already done (or at least that's how it was in the beginning). You would think they would mock up something simple and run it through CryEngine to make sure the feel of flight is appropriate before having an artist spend hundreds of hours crafting every little bit, but I guess I just don't understand games development.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Or they could just add offsets to the thruster physics positions to adjust ship handling without having to remodel the ship.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mashed_penguin posted:

Or they could just add offsets to the thruster physics positions to adjust ship handling without having to remodel the ship.

There's a lot of things they could do, but won't for whatever reason.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No they've been doing it since the beginning. You can see the design in the Hornet. The problem is that CIG does not take into account the ship's maneuverability until the model is already done (or at least that's how it was in the beginning). You would think they would mock up something simple and run it through CryEngine to make sure the feel of flight is appropriate before having an artist spend hundreds of hours crafting every little bit, but I guess I just don't understand games development.

Obviously. How could they sell a thruster-placement dummy box to players? Anyone could replicate that jpeg in MS Paint, doy!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

blueberrysmith posted:

Why even try guys.

Humorous, ability to count.. loving goons. Why do you ruin everything.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vsav1/top_secret_new_tech_december_16_livestream_p/

Speculation? Does anyone care?

I'm going to guess that it'll involve procedural planets, because the closest competitor to Star Citizen just released a procedural planet generator and it would be just like Roberts to ditch all of the work already done on planetside to pursue yet another tech.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vsav1/top_secret_new_tech_december_16_livestream_p/

I'm going to guess that it'll involve procedural planets, because the closest competitor to Star Citizen just released a procedural planet generator and it would be just like Roberts to ditch all of the work already done on planetside to pursue yet another tech.

new dance emotes

hundreds of them all animated poorly

edit: or paint jobs / decals for your ships

sold separately of course! 3.99 per paint job - best value!

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Procedural dance emotes. 400 billion possible dances. Created using RNN.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mirificus posted:

Don't forget about Wesha, CitizenSlum, and Kurt_M.

hahah someone posted the conversation slum had on reddit where he told some guy he built low income housing in Mexico and called him (for no reason) all sorts of names and acted like a lunatic and the admins banned the guy who posted the conversation, not slum for "abusive behavior".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ShredsYouSay posted:

Procedural dance emotes. 400 billion possible dances. Created using RNN.

…and you should have to grind for the combinations. If there's anything missing in SC, it's that Borderlands 2 touch, so it's about time they add something like that in.

Chalks posted:

Humorous, ability to count.. loving goons. Why do you ruin everything.

Why climb a mountain?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

So they sudffer from both ? Having a "Doublethink" condition of "Things are awesome and on track" and "We are already 4 years in that project with nothing more than a Tech Demo and a huge list of promised features" in the brain at the same time and a groupthink of "Only us really understand this awesome dream/game, buy more ship" ?

There's a great psychological mix in there; groupthink is basically just a self-affirming viewpoint that just becomes reinforced. 'Chris Roberts has a proven track record' would be an example. Cults tend to survive on groupthink and isolation of challenging viewpoints.

There's groupthink in here, but it's largely mediated by Goons. If you ever want to start a fight between Goons, lock them in a room together. Reddit's vote mechanism tends to feed groupthink, because dissent can 'disappear'.

Doublethink is harder, because it _has to be_ opposite viewpoints. Normally this gives rise to horrific cognitive dissonance, and is used in torture to attempt to break people. The point in 1984 was that the regime was utterly psychotic at that point. The only solid example of doublethink that I can produce would be the talking points that 'Immigrants are lazy freeloaders' and 'immigrants are taking all the jerbs' being largely accepted by one group of people.

Edit: If they were smart, they'd create an IK chain editor and allow people to submit emotes. And by 'smart' I mean 'playing into Goon hands'.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mashed_penguin posted:

Look, if you buy a Galvin 418-k thruster for your Hornet and it somehow gets 24.1% extra thrust so that the ship handles fine that would totally ruin *my immersion*.

And you're suggesting having an offset? Jesus Christ! I would have a heart attack if that happened.

BTW, I have already five tuned all variables to get maximum performance from my ship. I hope SC lets your pilot go on a diet so that you can manage his mass.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Let's see what Kurt_M has been up to lately:

Hmm...

Oh no, another publication added to Kurt_M's blacklist:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 7, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Dynamic Unscripted Module Builder

It uses preconfigured assets and the dimensions of module slots for ships to generate and build unique "one-off" modules for players who want something more than just "cargo bay type 1" or "torpedo bay type 3" or whatever.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Derek didn't know about that stream

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

There's a great psychological mix in there; groupthink is basically just a self-affirming viewpoint that just becomes reinforced. 'Chris Roberts has a proven track record' would be an example. Cults tend to survive on groupthink and isolation of challenging viewpoints.

There's groupthink in here, but it's largely mediated by Goons. If you ever want to start a fight between Goons, lock them in a room together. Reddit's vote mechanism tends to feed groupthink, because dissent can 'disappear'.

Ya, which is why the worst thing you could do to a goon thing is to ignore it and go about your life. With no drama or news, all the smartest goons in the room will tear each other to shreds.... or post recipes/catte photos.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

Thats one of the thing i like here. When the thread goes too much in suckling on D_Smart "They are going to fail so horribly" narrative, a few voice rise up to say "Look, its poo poo now and they dont deserve money, but somehting might yet come out of this"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

Given that they've been making GBS threads out faces lately (albeit captured) I'm going to guess that we're going to see a prototype of their revolutionary person maker. But you're probably correct.

Also TIL AMD and other hardware manufacturer advertising campaigns are word of mouth advertising.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 7, 2015

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Real gameplay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7GlAVrjAU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Dusty Lens posted:

Given that they've been making GBS threads out faces lately (albeit captured) I'm going to guess that we're going to see a prototype of their revolutionary person maker. But you're probably correct.

Also TIL AMD and other hardware manufacturer advertising campaigns are word of mouth advertising.

Faces? Are you saying that we might see more of this?

I can't wait!!!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Sarsapariller posted:

You mean procedural planets in the background (how they visually look while you are flying around), or procedural planets for you to land on and walk around on with randomly generated terrain and structures? I could see the former, but not the latter, because of how much Roberts loves to approve and re-design things, I just can't see him giving up creative reigns to a computer's random number generator.

I could see a new buggy or buggy skin though.

Their livestream will most likely show something like their upcoming voxel-asteroid tech, where they will probably show us a pre-rendered demo, and then we won't see it again for a year at least.

And another ship for sale, of course.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

i'm the super realistic gun-flying-off-the-wall animation

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

Can their revolutionary person maker make avatars that don't run like they've poo poo themselves?

Because 18 mocap studios and more than a year spent on "FPS" gameplay, and that's still a thing for some reason.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

My money would be on some high-end graphics Pizzaz, like prettier explosion or more glowing pew pew. That or maybe a new ship ready for Hangar. Maybe a B-reel of some finished mocap from SQ42. CIG dont seem to be a fan of "procedurally generated" anything.

Grab Bag procedurally generated modules (kinda like a module bay filled with random cubesats) would be a fantastic cash cow as a slot machine. Pay 1$ Citzenbuck, 95% of modules are trash but sometime you get a good random combination for a certain type of ship. You can even have another version of the machine costing real $$$ giving trash only 50% of the time.

Unwanted modules get scrapped for points you can use to upgrade other bonus modules for reduced iterative gains (each bonus module giving only 90% of the value of the preceding bonus module of the same type), ensuring a never ending cycle of consumption !

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maneuvering thrusters add fidelity. Fidelity adds immersion. If you don't understand that, you can't understand game development, and no words can reach you.

Here-- allow this animated gif to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

That or maybe a new ship ready for Hangar.

They did say the Starfarer is like basically done in the last space talk show they did. And the new F-150 Freelancer is supposed to be near complete too.

• Locked thread