Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
American Indian Paganism being the National religion while Omaha is Protestant is pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lord Tywin posted:

Some more HOI IV http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/29053519 , this time the dude Johan is playing against pumps out 20 completely untrained infantry divisions to trigger the anschluss in 1938 and Johan is just 200 days away from having fully motorized divisions.

I was listening to 3 Moves Ahead all day at work today while doing some super repetitive database work, so coming home and having Troy Goodfellow on the stream was a weird and momentarily disorienting moment.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

jb7 posted:

Maybe when he entered office. Not so much by the end of his administration.

Jack2142 posted:

He picked up the incapable trait, George Bush became the treacherous regent.
Yes, but President Reagan did wisely enact the "Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" Act. That decision is pretty OP, seeing that it tag-switches the USSR to Russia and force releases all provinces with non-accepted cultures. No the fact that oil prices plummeted at the time had nothing at all to do with it it was all 100% that one speech.

There are otherwise very smart people who actually believe this to be true.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17A2zuZEVFY

For the lazy.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
My humble opinion for the hoi4 stream is to turn off the face cam and put the microphones a little closer to their mouths

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Epinephrine posted:

Yes, but President Reagan did wisely enact the "Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" Act. That decision is pretty OP, seeing that it tag-switches the USSR to Russia and force releases all provinces with non-accepted cultures. No the fact that oil prices plummeted at the time had nothing at all to do with it it was all 100% that one speech.

I believed this but then I turned twelve.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Epinephrine posted:

Idk it breaks Germany and then you've got a good shot at realigning Poland

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Twilight Struggle is a great game and anyone reading this thread should give it a look.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is there any knowledge of when HoI4 will come out? From the livestreams it looks almost done, and I understand it's in beta so far, so it is more a question of final polish hopefully.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is there any knowledge of when HoI4 will come out? From the livestreams it looks almost done, and I understand it's in beta so far, so it is more a question of final polish hopefully.

February 9, 2016.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

February 9, 2016.

A couple of days after Xcom 2? I don't think initial sales are going to be as good as hoped.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

SeaTard posted:

A couple of days after Xcom 2? I don't think initial sales are going to be as good as hoped.

If I weren't posting from a phone I'd paste an image from the hit movie Momento where the protagonist looks at a photo with the caption "Don't believe his lies."

But since I can't I'll just say that the HOI4 release date remains unconfirmed. Wishful thinking has currently convinced people it will be Q1 2016 but we still don't know for sure.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SeaTard posted:

You can't play XCOM until March 1.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

At the rate of Dev Diary releases it kind of has to be Q1, unless they're taking a big break for the holidays.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kavak posted:

At the rate of Dev Diary releases it kind of has to be Q1, unless they're taking a big break for the holidays.
It's Paradox, a month long holiday starts tomorrow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's awful that Paradox is located in a developed country with actual labour regulations and holiday times :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Okay, then Q2 is possible.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Cross-posting from Wiz's twitter: Fascist Bhutan is called the 'Thunder Dragon Empire'.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Takanago posted:

Cross-posting from Wiz's twitter: Fascist Bhutan is called the 'Thunder Dragon Empire'.

Badass

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yet they refuse to implement supply mechanics that accurately model Dragon Force's historical shortage of electric guitar strings. :rant:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Have they mentioned what those Theater Groups are or what the icons mean? I probably missed it in a diary or video somewhere.

e: Oh I see, they're exactly what they sound like, they group up all the generals leading troops in a particular theater you define, part of setting up OOB.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 10, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Where's Manchukuo and Mengkiang? And why are the Communists already calling themselves the PRC?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paradox wants to break into the Chinese market.

In the release version, all of China will be shown as unified and indivisible under Chairman Mao, who will effortlessly crush the pitiful Japanese army after a week in every single game.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Takanago posted:

gently caress me I need this game in my life.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kavak posted:

Okay, then Q2 is possible.

Don't expect too much to get done in Sweden (besides shopping and drunken debauchery) between the 18th december and the 11th of january.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

Don't expect too much to get done in Sweden (besides shopping and drunken debauchery) between the 18th december and the 11th of january.

All that means is "Expect CKII to be broken as gently caress after we release the patch on the 17th until we patch it on the 12th."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Johan mentioning that doctrines is a no-brainer choice when doing research and how this probably means they should change something got me thinking that maybe it would be better and (and realistic) if instead of doctrines being normal tech research they should be unlocked with the appropriate experience. This should give you a dilemma, at least in peacetime when you don't have alot of experience coming in, whether to spend it on your overall army doctrine or retooling your divisions and such to make use of new technology and whether you want to take attrition from training your army.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Leaked Paradox Interactive 2016 Financial Forecast:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Johan mentioning that doctrines is a no-brainer choice when doing research and how this probably means they should change something got me thinking that maybe it would be better and (and realistic) if instead of doctrines being normal tech research they should be unlocked with the appropriate experience. This should give you a dilemma, at least in peacetime when you don't have alot of experience coming in, whether to spend it on your overall army doctrine or retooling your divisions and such to make use of new technology and whether you want to take attrition from training your army.

Maybe tie it to selecting the Chief of Staff? Like if Hitler chooses to appoint a super-old guard General instead of backing the likes of Guderian, then Germany ends up with Grand Battle doctrine ala Hindenburg/Luddendorf. Similarly, if the British appoint Hart (which costs a lot more political capital) they are locked into Maneuver warfare doctrine.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No, my month-long holiday starts next week :(

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Takanago posted:

its kinda relevant name actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk.
I'm sad he didnt have time to build a DRAGON FORTRESS so he could have held the indian troops at bay and got taken down :(

new dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-37th-development-diary-11th-of-december-2015.896886

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm thinking I'll just put nothing but naval bombers and fighters on my carriers - their primary role is naval supremacy, after all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ArchangeI posted:

Maybe tie it to selecting the Chief of Staff? Like if Hitler chooses to appoint a super-old guard General instead of backing the likes of Guderian, then Germany ends up with Grand Battle doctrine ala Hindenburg/Luddendorf. Similarly, if the British appoint Hart (which costs a lot more political capital) they are locked into Maneuver warfare doctrine.
Wouldn't that still kinda make it a no-brainer? Would anyone ever go with the cheaper guy who locks you (semi)permanently into inferior tactics?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

I'm thinking I'll just put nothing but naval bombers and fighters on my carriers - their primary role is naval supremacy, after all.

I'm kinda worried the go-to tactic is going to be going ham on naval bombers and just melting any non-carrier taskforce. And overwhelming a more balanced once, unless fighters can really gently caress up a swarm of bombers.

Fears of early British carriers running around the Mediterranean just barfing Swordfish while Italians uselessly flail come to mind...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm kinda worried the go-to tactic is going to be going ham on naval bombers and just melting any non-carrier taskforce. And overwhelming a more balanced once, unless fighters can really gently caress up a swarm of bombers.

Fears of early British carriers running around the Mediterranean just barfing Swordfish while Italians uselessly flail come to mind...

I imagine there is still a considerable cost to building aircraft carriers and airplanes so shoving all your eggs into one basket, so to speak, still isn't wise (or easy in this case). With the Mediterranean in particular, most of it is still within easy reach of land based airfields to give Italian and German ships cover. Not to mention that with nothing but bombers at your disposal you'd have nothing to defend your fleet with if your enemy also just threw a shitload of bombers at you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I wouldn't forgo fighters on my carriers unless I had land-based fighter cover (and perhaps not even then) but I don't see myself sacrificing torpedo bombers in favour of dive-bombers on a carrier, ever. I guess it all depends exactly what stats the two bomber types end up having.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

podcat posted:

its kinda relevant name actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk.
I'm sad he didnt have time to build a DRAGON FORTRESS so he could have held the indian troops at bay and got taken down :(

how soon after release can we expect the DLC giving bhutan a unique national focus tree, podcat?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gort posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't forgo fighters on my carriers unless I had land-based fighter cover (and perhaps not even then) but I don't see myself sacrificing torpedo bombers in favour of dive-bombers on a carrier, ever. I guess it all depends exactly what stats the two bomber types end up having.

It feels like this really opens up the need/value for CVEs that can be built at a reduced cost to CVs and used specifically for the kind of land support role they were intended for...

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'll be honest, most of HOI4 I am understanding and THRILLED for, but then it gets to naval stuff and I'm like "ok so which ship is better again, a destroyer or a fighter? or is one of those a tank"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I feel ya bro, here WW2 navies for dummies

Submarines: long hard and full of seamen. Botes that sink, but can also unsink. Used either independently or as part of fleets.

Destroyers: smallest warbote you'll see on the surface. Fast and lightly armored its good at killing subs or using torpedoes to kill large botes with no support. Best used in large numbers.

Cruisers: like destroyers but larger. Not sure what the were good at, neither were IRL navies to be honest

Battle cruisers: you know what sucks? Armor. Armor is for pussies, strip that bullshit off so we can go fast and carry bigger guns.

Carrier: huge fucker that carries airplanes. Will get hosed if caught alone

Battleship BIG GUNS BEST GUNS BEST SHIP so long as there arnt carriers in the region.