Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

These highly trained superstrong safe cracking teens always defeat our gun grabbing arguments :negative:

Not to mention the majority of gun owners who are apparently extremely deaf, have broken/missing legs and are missing their fingers, so they can't walk to the phone to call 911 when the teens are making a shitload of noise banging their safe around and literally bending and breaking the metal.

Guess there's nothing we can do about guns, someone go get me a Coors light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The first RCP-quality poll of 2016 is out. It's a fairly crap poll of California that barely matters except for the fact that it's the only poll of anywhere that anyone's done for a week and a half.

If it holds up and this is a nationwide trend, say hello to your new Canadian overlord:

http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2521.pdf

Cruz 25
Trump 23
Rubio 13
Good Doctor Hands 9
Jeb! 6

And the reason I'm actually posting this, the second choice preferences:

Cruz 22
Rubio 14
Trump 11
Christie 8
Fiorina 8
Doctor 7
Cucked! 5

Schlonged imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ripoff posted:

Not to mention the majority of gun owners who are apparently extremely deaf, have broken/missing legs and are missing their fingers, so they can't walk to the phone to call 911 when the teens are making a shitload of noise banging their safe around and literally bending and breaking the metal.

Guess there's nothing we can do about guns, someone go get me a Coors light.

Well you know, without silencers (whose sole purpose is to make guns safe for your ears)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well you know, without silencers (whose sole purpose is to make guns safe for your ears)

Suppressors! :tfrxmas:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Doesn't max4me know that if he had his 1911 in a safe his relative would have just gone online to find a specific weakness in the particular model safe he had, or gone to town on it with a crowbar??? He may as well just leave his guns all just scattered across his front lawn, they are literally just as secure there as they are inside of a safe.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DrProsek posted:

Doesn't max4me know that if he had his 1911 in a safe his relative would have just gone online to find a specific weakness in the particular model safe he had, or gone to town on it with a crowbar??? He may as well just leave his guns all just scattered across his front lawn, they are literally just as secure there as they are inside of a safe.

More to the point would you still hold him liable if cousin did that?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Armyman25 posted:

Would you pay out to a homeowner who left their doors unlocked and got robbed because of videos like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsk9fneamJA

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Would you pay out to a homeowner who left their doors unlocked and got robbed because of videos like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsk9fneamJA

Why did I just watch that? Now I'm probably on some FBI list.

Also I hardly doubt people are out there picking deadbolts in the year 2015.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

max4me posted:

I had a 1911 pistol stolen from me by family.

long story short, I kept my guns at my grandmothers house, there is a safe. I left this one out in case of a break in. By out I mean well hidden in the room but not in the safe.

My grandma wanted to make a photo bigger I was living out of town and i told her to get her brother in law to bring his youngest grandson over to print a bigger photo.

The little poo poo tossed the room found the pistol came out and said he could print the photo. Then left with it. Later he showed it off to people who work for my family. (was honestly told "we didnt know it was yours" by them). They failed to relieve him of the pistol. So a six teen year old has a hand gun what does he do with it.

Does he shoot up his school? Rob a store? Kill him self? no the fucker sells it to a mexican national. Who gets pulled over by the CHP. He serves jail time and then gets deported.

When the CHP came by to verify the gun wasnt in possession. They didnt give a poo poo about how it was stored, who took it, or how pedro got it. (yes that was his name). The attitude honestly was "whelp we got our mexican"

Part of me kinda wishes there was some attention or focus my failings in the matter, or the fact I was burgled by family.

ResponsibleLawAbidingGunOwner.txt

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At least this episode of "leaving a gun out so there can be a fantastic gun battle to death in the event of a robbery or scary noises" did not result in killing a family member or suicide.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Adar posted:

The first RCP-quality poll of 2016 is out. It's a fairly crap poll of California that barely matters except for the fact that it's the only poll of anywhere that anyone's done for a week and a half.

If it holds up and this is a nationwide trend, say hello to your new Canadian overlord:

http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2521.pdf

Cruz 25
Trump 23
Rubio 13
Good Doctor Hands 9
Jeb! 6

And the reason I'm actually posting this, the second choice preferences:

Cruz 22
Rubio 14
Trump 11
Christie 8
Fiorina 8
Doctor 7
Cucked! 5

Schlonged imo

Isn't California the very last primary?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Good thing you can't break into a safe then.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

A Man and his dog posted:

Why did I just watch that? Now I'm probably on some FBI list.

Also I hardly doubt people are out there picking deadbolts in the year 2015.

What, knob locks instead? Or keyless pads? Knob locks are easier because all you need for that is a hammer and enough muscle to knock off the knob since that's where the lock is and the door will swing open. Much like how you can crowbar a safe open apparently even, and usually keyless pads come with stuff like ADT or otherwise sophisticated services.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
It is up there and this poll is worthless, except that I have a hunch that the second choice prefs are pretty much correct nationwide right now and it's capturing the third week of the Cruz tsunami.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the idolatry of the Constitution among the conservative right.

It's a fluid document from nearly 240 years ago.

I went to lunch with my mother last month and she handed me a small, glove-box copy of the Constitution....I was like, 'what the hell is this?'

She said she bought a box full of them to hand out to family and friends, so they could keep it with them at all times. :psyduck: That feeling of shame in your family is hard to verbalize.

Yet somehow, out of all the amendments, only the 2nd is completely unassailable to most of these amateur constitutional lawyers.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

What, knob locks instead? Or keyless pads? Knob locks are easier because all you need for that is a hammer and enough muscle to knock off the knob since that's where the lock is and the door will swing open. Much like how you can crowbar a safe open apparently even, and usually keyless pads come with stuff like ADT or otherwise sophisticated services.

:stare:

Sorry I don't rob people. But I'm glad you know these techniques. Not talking poo poo. Cause this is obviously what they do.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://nyti.ms/1mFOQzX

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz says young women are "complacent" about Hillary because they grew up in a world where Roe v. Wade exists. She also says pot is a gateway drug. gently caress off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the idolatry of the Constitution among the conservative right.

I went to lunch with my mother last month and she handed me a small, glove-box copy of the Constitution....I was like, 'what the hell is this?'

She said she bought a box full of them to hand out to family and friends, so they could keep it with them at all times. :psyduck: That feeling of shame in your family is hard to verbalize.

Yet somehow, out of all the amendments, only the 2nd is completely unassailable to most of these amateur constitutional lawyers.

It's because we are taught that the Constitution is a divinely inspired document written by Godly Men.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

A Man and his dog posted:

:stare:

Sorry I don't rob people. But I'm glad you know these techniques. Not talking poo poo. Cause this is obviously what they do.

Literally less than a few minutes of google gave me this info but there was also a while back a news article about bike locks that was similarly jaw-dropping in how easy it was to break a bunch of them where the journalist talked to a couple of bike thieves about this stuff which makes me less surprised about it all. I'm still gonna keep my knob lock locked on my front door because even if it is a piece of poo poo when put up against someone determined to break it I'm not dumb enough to think that's a good reason to invite trouble by not locking it anyway.

e: more easy googling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVd8KWgr5-c

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Paper isn't a fluid last I checked

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://nyti.ms/1mFOQzX

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz says young women are "complacent" about Hillary because they grew up in a world where Roe v. Wade exists. She also says pot is a gateway drug. gently caress off.

She's the worst

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

Ideas are bulletproof but you can't wear them as armor.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Literally less than a few minutes of google gave me this info but there was also a while back a news article about bike locks that was similarly jaw-dropping in how easy it was to break a bunch of them where the journalist talked to a couple of bike thieves about this stuff which makes me less surprised about it all. I'm still gonna keep my knob lock locked on my front door because even if it is a piece of poo poo when put up against someone determined to break it I'm not dumb enough to think that's a good reason to invite trouble by not locking it anyway.

e: more easy googling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVd8KWgr5-c

Bumping locks is mega easy, yeah. First time I had to do it to get into my own house, took a couple of minutes to file down a key and all of 15 seconds to get in. Frighteningly easy. Best not to think about those sorts of things, really.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Armyman25 posted:

More to the point, would a gun stored on a front lawn be exactly as secure as a gun in a safe in a house?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buy a dog, crime fearers.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It might be worth mentioning that a properly installed safe is bolted to the ground so you can't just knock it over and use body weight to lever the door open. Also good safes have a thick recessed door plate that makes it hard to use pry bars on them with locking bolts that come out of the sides and the corners of the door. Most safes that are sold as gun safes are more about fire protection than they are about stopping theft. They're rather flimsy and designed more for the look because building an actual safe is out of Liberty's 2-3 grand price point sweet spot.

Really safes and locks at the end of the day aren't there for stopping someone who really wants what is behind them. They're for the lazy burglar that can't be assed to kick your door in or break out the crow bar.

Also don't worry about someone picking your lock when your door frame is more than likely basically made of the cheapest wood available and held in with hilariously short screws.

zoux posted:

Buy a dog, crime fearers.
Don't do this. Training a dog to be useful as an alarm will make it a horrible pet. It will bark at anything and everything at all hours and you will learn to hate it. Without attack training (or abuse that will make it attack anything that it doesn't fear, you basically) it will also be more likely to greet the guy with a happy wagging tail than he would be to bite him.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively stop living in fear and love your fellow sentient beings unconditionally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1) Everyone should buy a dog
2) Who the gently caress has to train a guard to be a guard dog, get a dog, it will bark at strangers, the mythical robbers that break into people's houses while they are home will give you a pass and go to the next dog-less house.

The mental gymnastics gun people go through to convince you that obvious and simple conclusions are in fact not the case if you will just consider this extremely convoluted and tortured chain of logic, you will see that more guns are clearly the answer to gun crime.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

Alternatively stop living in fear and love your fellow sentient beings unconditionally

But... ISIS!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

McDowell posted:

This directly contradicts the V for Vendetta documentary I watched the other year

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gravel Gravy posted:

This directly contradicts the V for Vendetta documentary I watched the other year

No, the ideas were bulletproof, but the actual armor was a metal (or ceramic?) plate.

RevKrule posted:

The Bundy standoff got magical overnight.

I know it doesn't look like much, but in post production that bluescreen is going to pop when it turns into a badass skull fort.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

In the same way the founding Fathers have become deified, the Constitution has become their sacred gospel. With the same picking and choosing, ignoring, and making poo poo up these type of people apply to the Bible

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

zoux posted:

1) Everyone should buy a dog
2) Who the gently caress has to train a guard to be a guard dog, get a dog, it will bark at strangers, the mythical robbers that break into people's houses while they are home will give you a pass and go to the next dog-less house.

Rental lease won't even let my family have cats and we're too poor to rent elsewhere atm, not that I fear robbery anyway because we're not exactly prime targets.

crazy cloud posted:

Tell my fellow sentient beings to stop being horrible assholes to each other all the time first. :colbert:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Smith and Wesson et al. should really be major Democratic candidate fundraisers. Obama has done more to (indirectly) increase gun manufacturer revenue and stock prices than any other President I've ever seen.

This isn't something really new or surprising. It's not a coincidence that most modern gun control was passed by a coalition of social conservatives and "law and order" Democrats, but had the full support of gun companies. The companies' part of the deal was that the laws would protect or even improve their business, for example by blocking cheaper imports, by choking out upstart companies, or just by forcing the market toward more expensive, high-margin products over cheap, low-margin ones.

The "universal background check" law Obama pushed fits perfectly into this mold too, just since it forced private sales through commercial dealers rather than allowing private sellers to verify buyers themselves. If someone proposed a law in any other in industry that worked this way it would (rightfully) be pointed out as a handout to manufacturers and dealers by disincentivizing used sales specifically and making sure dealers always get their cut. Ditto for proposed new AWBs on federal and state levels: they don't really reduce gun availability or lethality, nor are they honestly intended to: they just mean that if you're buying a new gun you have to make sure you're using all new post-ban parts with it, and that means extra sales. There pretty clearly isn't deliberate collusion between modern gun control advocates and the gun lobby like there was in the past, but the effective results would be the same.

What changed there? That's another of the funny things, but it ties in heavily to why gun control stalled on the national level even though it progresses in some but not all blue states. The Reagan-era social conservatives who were into gun control got old and died: their replacements were less opposed to guns that weren't in John Wayne movies, and less invested in Jim Crow era may-issue laws meant to keep guns from blacks and poors. Gun buyers started to notice when gun companies would screw them over, causing a backlash. Since gun control advocates weren't customers, and since the incrementalist approach requires them to go back to calling the gun lobby double-Hitler on the next law no matter how much they cooperate on this ones, it turned out to have no real upside. This left just the more authoritarian and urban Democratic factions as strong gun control advocates, since progressives will passively support gun control but won't go out on a limb when given a choice between guns and actual progressive issues, while remaining rural Democrats represent constituents who like guns fine. They still keep proposing the same wish-list laws that were devised when the other two factions were still biting, though, and the growing tribal nature of the issue means that "stick it to those guys" becomes a selling point in itself even where no one seriously believes a proposed policy will change the course of (stubbornly decreasing) gun violence.

Oddly enough, if you're a gun company, the breakup between gun control advocates and the gun lobby is win-win. If laws don't pass you can sell to people afraid of coming bans; if laws do pass, most won't seriously hurt your business and some will help; either way, your customers can't blame you, and your non-customers wouldn't blame you less if you did anything else.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

"LOVE YOUR ENEMY unless they're really mean and distasteful"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geostomp posted:

Preying on insecurities has become the biggest gun advertising tactic over the decades. It's part of why their diehard supporters are trained to reject any attempt to regulate them as an attack on their very identity.

It also is no coincidence that the sort of weapons that appealing to those insecurities let them sell easiest - semi-automatic handguns and rifles with military or law-enforcement styling - are very profitable compared to boring (and highly competitive) poo poo like an over-under shotgun or bolt-action deer rifle. And that's before you get into all the tacticool accessories you can sell.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Bumping locks is mega easy, yeah. First time I had to do it to get into my own house, took a couple of minutes to file down a key and all of 15 seconds to get in. Frighteningly easy. Best not to think about those sorts of things, really.

Hopping in from the insurance/loss control side - this is true but not. As a general rule, if someone wants to take something of yours/break into your house/steal your guns/etc, they're going to do it. There is basically nothing you can do that will stop a sufficiently motivated thief. However. The key part of the phrase there is 'sufficiently motivated'. A huge amount of this stuff is preventable by taking even basic precautions because the vast majority of thieves will consider it not worth the time investment and risk. It's far, FAR more lucrative to move on to an unprotected target (which there are plenty of - so many people are complete idiots for home security). Basic poo poo like locking your doors prevents a huge amount of crime.

Ironically, they're usually (unless they have a specific grudge against you) only going to go above and beyond to break in if they know you've got something that's portable, significantly valuable and easy to sell. Like a gun!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

McDowell posted:

Actually a bunch of soaking wet dictionaries are pretty good at slowing down smaller caliber bullets and furthermore :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I pity anyone who tries to break into my house, who is going to quickly encounter 80 lbs of Akita who is very protective of her home and is quite willing to do what is necessary to keep anyone we haven't OKed out.

• Locked thread