Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I solemnly swear I will never, EVER rely on overwatches like Beagle does, because clearly they're cursed to fail you when you need them most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
How in the hell did he win that.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 31, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stun lancers seem pretty brutal

Yeah, they didn't seem like they'd be that bad when revealed but they're ripping poo poo up right now.

e: the DrVahlen donating money to Beagle while posting Vahlen's lines about explosives is cracking me up a lot more than it should.

e2: His overwatch sniper just unlocked Guardian from the AWS. If that works with Long Watch that sniper is going to kill so many aliens.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 1, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Oh god, his dark event.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Game's available at Nuuvem for ~20 €. No VPN shenanigans required.

http://www.nuuvem.com/item/xcom-2

Scratch that, Steam's telling me I can't activate the key I bought.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 1, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy crap, getting Guardian on that sniper. If it works it will be amazing

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Please let that hidden ability work. Please, please.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh man, the advanced warfare skills look amazing.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
What does Guardian do?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder if the devs sent a special "get hosed" copy to beags' house.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work today and can't watch the stream. How difficult does legendary seem in the release version?

I'm on the fence about what difficulty to start at, as I eventually enjoyed impossible in EW, but think that getting to know the game at a similar difficulty level would be masochistic. Ideally, I'm looking for a mode that will brutally punish poor decisions, but where success and failure under optimal play isn't just a roll of the dice. Is that legendary?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mashed Potato posted:

What does Guardian do?

on successful overwatch hit, 50% chance to take another overwatch shot immediately

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mashed Potato posted:

What does Guardian do?

50% chance to take another shot after hitting with overwatch.
efb

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

beer_war posted:

Come on there is no way a price like that should be passing the sniff test

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lol the EGM review of 75:

quote:

XCOM 2 is a generally solid experience, but it is definitely one of those titles that may not be for everyone due to its punishing game style and occasional unpredictably of success.

"Hrrnnngggg rng is haarrddd and I want to win every single battle with no deaths all the time why is this game forcing me to make tough choices waahhhh"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

God drat Faceless are an amazing unit. Terror missions are just so drat tense and scary because of them.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Come on there is no way a price like that should be passing the sniff test

Nah, Nuuvem's legit, but they usually only sell to Brazil.

They've recently been cracking down on people from abroad buying games for cheap. The store page won't let you buy most games if you have the wrong IP / the wrong PayPal address.

I could buy this one without a problem, but the page does say: "This game cannot be activated outside Brasil", so I'm not blaming them in any way.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 1, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm trying to imagine the Commander patrolling the Avenger, keeping troops in line and preventing a severe outbreak of ADVENT burgers. The only one who gets away with it is Van Doorn, but he's in prison so it was probably the President.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
lol @ punishing difficulty. I've gotten up to week 105 in Darkest Dungeon and I'm going to really enjoy playing XCOM 2 and not having to deal with a screaming Vestal that gives my Houndmaster a heart attack after he refuses to allow himself to get healed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

God drat Faceless are an amazing unit. Terror missions are just so drat tense and scary because of them.

Yeah. It looks like Battle Scanners take some of the sting out of them but they're still nasty customers.

And I underestimated the usefulness of Phantom Rangers, on missions where you normally get no concealment they still start in concealment. And it looks like Phantom Rangers are great for rescuing civvies.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ahahaha Beagle.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

AegisP posted:

Ahahaha Beagle.

I like his reaction. Just a deadpan "Ok, Civilian, you're on your own. We're out of here."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lol the EGM review of 75:

"Hrrnnngggg rng is haarrddd and I want to win every single battle with no deaths all the time why is this game forcing me to make tough choices waahhhh"

That doesn't feel like an unfair claim to me. "That's X-COM!" isn't for everyone and the fact that you can lose due to random chance can be frustrating to people. It's a fair thing to mention in a review.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

AegisP posted:

Ahahaha Beagle.

JEEE-ZUUUUS

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Bremen posted:

I like his reaction. Just a deadpan "Ok, Civilian, you're on your own. We're out of here."

To be fair, that civilian dodged the "kill a civilian" shot and then lived 2 more turns. He's basically a god at this point.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't feel like an unfair claim to me. "That's X-COM!" isn't for everyone and the fact that you can lose due to random chance can be frustrating to people. It's a fair thing to mention in a review.

There's no excuse for being a big baby. Play on easy if you can't handle the A's.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Holy gently caress Lancers are fast.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Holy poo poo these Stun Lancers :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ahaha Beagle is dead five loving ways from Sunday with all that crap on him

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ImpAtom posted:

One of his bad points was "i missed a 95% shot". That alone is worth ridiculing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stun lancers really seem as scary as Chryssalids

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It still bugs me that grenades are tile ranges and not just spheres of influence you can tool around with but that's the single thing I'm not down with now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, they don't turn you into a zombie but they rush you and slap you in the face with a lightning rod. Jesus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeahhhh I'm going to be playing this on "hard" as opposed to impossible. Though Beags doesn't seem to have adapted his playstyle as much to the new paradigm of "rush poo poo and stop overwatching". If anything the new style of map set up might actually help new players better than people who are used to slowly popping pods.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

beer_war posted:

Supposedly everyone who bought the game before the 25th of january will get a region free key, at least that's what Nuuvem's Support told me.

I hope 2K doesn't make them change their minds.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

NOT THE BOSS

BOSS NO

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, they're great replacements. Scary as poo poo, much harder to game with distance, but less of a complete "gently caress you" if they get to your squad.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, they're great replacements. Scary as poo poo, much harder to game with distance, but less of a complete "gently caress you" if they get to your squad.

... Replacements? Boy, you're in for a rough surprise.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy crap, I leave to go to my team's standup meeting while beagle was doing great in the rescue civilians mission and come back and it's near squad wipe. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 31, 2022