Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://fat.gfycat.com/OldShockedDegu.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
"Sandi Gardiner is a marionette that Chris Roberts built for his movies. It has come alive and gone mad with power. Chris is afraid of her. Everyone is afraid of her. Please send the military to destroy Foundry 42."

-Ben Lesnick

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Malkof posted:

May I recommend the Smorky's girlfriend thread in GBS, it's right up your alley!

This sounds amazing.

e: it's been open for a day and there's like 2,500 posts. at this rate my consumption of insane drama through the sa forums is going to rival my full time job.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 2, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Can somebody test if dancing makes you immune to gunfire?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh I wanted to say that thanks to this thread/ben lesnick I finally managed to overcome a 32oz/day red bull habit, and have lost 10 pounds and have probably saved a small fortune

THANKS STAR CITIZEN

Nice one!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Clifford_Miku/status/693234130746642432

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

God bless that looks like a fun bunch. Can't wait to see them all at citcon 2016.

Commando out.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Clifford_Miku/status/691103002690658305

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

He has come on that hatatamuni nikumon anime 100% chance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That's some major headbobbing going on.

Seriously, it looks like they don't have a damage model for the FPS component. They can be affected by physics, but the only damage we've seen only is inflicted on ships and not people.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 2, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

For a laser to cause that sort of impact, each shot would be roughly equivalent to a few dozen kilowatt hours or burning a few dozen litres of crude oil. They have some really good battery tech/thermal resistant armour in the future.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris really strokes his own ego a lot in those videos.

But he thinks of the backers, too.

(this is around 00:15:12)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! :five: :five:

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
Been lurking in these threads since late September, so after seeing the free flight week I decided to try it out to see just how bad it could possibly be.

At first everything seemed... functional. Sure, I moved like I was several hundred pounds overweight and it seemed like my head was attached to my left shoulder, but I was able to move and interact with my environment, two essential parts of the gaming experience. After several minutes of wandering I discovered the ship-summoning terminals and excitedly chose the first ship listed, and was told that there weren't any available spaces, nor was I allowed to summon the remaining two ships. Five minutes later I summoned the RSI Aurora, and upon finding it on the landing pad, realized it was the ugliest loving ship I had ever seen. Regardless, I attempted to board and was kicked from the server, and then my computer hard-locked.

Second attempt: I summoned some sort of fighter. I climbed inside like an arthritic grandmother boarding a roller-coaster and batted soundlessly at the mess of buttons and toggles, nothing inside the cockpit animating in any way. The screen lit up, and I was kicked due to an authentication error.

Third attempt: I ran as quickly as I could, summoned the Aurora again, and made it inside after waiting for my turn at the airlock. Once on board I noticed a small passage behind the cockpit and opened it. It turned out to be a tiny cot, which my character proceeded to loudly sleep upon. No combination of buttons would end the animation. Over the snoring, I could hear gunfire and explosions. Somewhere, someone was actually gaining some measurable amount of entertainment. Above me, the reflection in the ceiling split in two and began to vibrate. I mashed every button on my keyboard, inadvertently bringing up my mobiglass, which caused the game to crash.

Fourth attempt: I played Elite instead. Sure, it may not have the sheer fidelity, realism, and immersion, but at least I can get off the damned space station in less than an hour.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

That's some major headbobbing going on.

Seriously, it looks like they don't have a damage model for the FPS component. They can be affected by physics, but the only damage we've seen only is inflicted on ships and not people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPieruXpd6Q&t=104s

There is player damage, the damage doll in the bottom right, that you fix by a magic injection you can give yourself.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Tippis posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spBXAgho3fw
Actual exploration in an immersive and dynamic universe.

This storyline started months ago with strange alien artefacts being found in space, emitting signals that were actually decoded by the players. This ultimately lead to alien life found on the planet shown in the video. Part of an emerging (and somewhat dynamic) storyline unfolding in a game that can be played right now. Yes E:D can be miles wide and only an inch deep, but stuff like this is simply amazing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

A wild rajafa appears!

edit: They also removed my comment about joining this forum but not the ones taking the piss out of chris :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 2, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

King of Cheeses posted:

This storyline started months ago with strange alien artefacts being found in space, emitting signals that were actually decoded by the players. This ultimately lead to alien life found on the planet shown in the video. Part of an emerging (and somewhat dynamic) storyline unfolding in a game that can be played right now. Yes E:D can be miles wide and only an inch deep, but stuff like this is simply amazing.

Pretty much. That last part really needs emphasising: it can be an inch deep. If you play it the way Elite II was played, then all you get is an updated Elite II. If you choose to engage in the emerging storylines, or if you just decide to go out and explore, it's hell of a lot more than that.

To be honest, this is the only way that actual exploration can ever work in a multiplayer universe: by having meta-game puzzles that the players have to pick apart and pursue, and which get updated on a regular basis by the devs. For a singleplayer experience, you can get (very) far with a procedural system, but even that will eventually be picked apart by the players unless it's constantly updated. It will certainly still provide a different exploration path every time you restart it, but the general story beats and available paths will be on GameFAQs after a month or three.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

I am not a native speaker, so I had to look up what the title of Derek's latest essay meant.

Errm, you meant that you are "shining a brilliant light on the uninformed", right?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How'd we miss this

https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/694316192492720128

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
George Broussard knows his way around games that'll never be released

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

I am not a native speaker, so I had to look up what the title of Derek's latest essay meant.

Errm, you meant that you are "shining a brilliant light on the uninformed", right?

There is another definition of it, you can find out more about it if you read about the fourth stimpire.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
real_lethality to the rescue
https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/694319597034418176

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Are there zombies in the verse? I kid. I know its just broken as poo poo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPieruXpd6Q&t=104s

There is player damage, the damage doll in the bottom right, that you fix by a magic injection you can give yourself.

poo poo, I remember seeing someone gun down a commando earlier, where his death was delayed, so I should have remembered that it does have player damage implemented. It's just that it's hard to see it in that .gif, you could assume it wasn't there.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beexoffel posted:

It's similar to 'getting screwed'/'ripped off'. So it's derived from the first meaning.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokamak posted:

It's similar to 'getting screwed'/'ripped off'. So it's derived from the first meaning.

also penis

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

What success? Raising a whole lot of money and then pissing it all against a wall while telling your backers they're annoying isn't success. It's just a rollercoaster at the start climbing higher before the inevitable plunge.

He should really look at Broussard, look at Roberts and go "Well, what's the difference really?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dear Video Games,

Please bring back Counter-Ops.

Thank you,

Jobbo_Fett

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

poo poo, I remember seeing someone gun down a commando earlier, where his death was delayed, so I should have remembered that it does have player damage implemented. It's just that it's hard to see it in that .gif, you could assume it wasn't there.

To be fair the target was dancing, as with quantum travel and a ship being destroyed, this player character has been temporarily swapped out for a model which they obviously haven't made damageable.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLastRoboKy posted:

What success? Raising a whole lot of money and then pissing it all against a wall while telling your backers they're annoying isn't success. It's just a rollercoaster at the start climbing higher before the inevitable plunge.

He should really look at Broussard, look at Roberts and go "Well, what's the difference really?"
I don''t grudge Broussard the right to waste his own cash in development hell

At least he didn't do preorders

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Do you have this from the player getting shot perspective?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

Do you have this from the player getting shot perspective?

It's just a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAI1JzDCuNM

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don''t grudge Broussard the right to waste his own cash in development hell

At least he didn't do preorders

In the end though, the product he was constantly delaying and reiterating up had to be forcibly ripped from his hands to get released in any form.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The first man to stop dancing dies. Once again Croberts proves he's a visionary director by taking inspiration for Star Marine from "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dancing, the perfect anti-griefer technique.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's a double meaning, so I guess it could be used that way in Derek's article.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tokamak posted:

I think you mean the third meaning

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dancing, the perfect anti-griefer technique.
No, no, what you you see is his soul.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone please explain to me what a "goon" is?

quote:

To my understanding, they are users of the SomethingAwful forums who do not like Star Citizen. But they seem to hold Derek Smart in a position to stoke his ego, according to this subreddit. As I know nothing of the SA user base, I am unable to authenticate the validity of these claims; and I only know of Derek from the Battlecruiser 3000 A.D fiasco.
Can someone please enlighten me in a polite and engaging manner?

quote:

A bunch of people who pay $10 to pretend they're on 4chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQpSoWWtUH0