Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Grakkus posted:

Hey guys, I have a problem with my new-to-me '99 TT where the interior lights don't come on when I open the doors. The car can tell when the doors are open as it shows up on the central display and the windows drop the half inch they are supposed to, and I can turn the lights on manually. Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on where I should start to fix it?

Fuses would be a good place to start.

If the fuses are all fine, then go buy a goat and prepare to perform a blood sacrifice to the VW electrical gremlins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just checking but do you have the dome light switch set to turn on when the doors are opened? It should have three positions: with the I pushed in (always on), with the O pushed in (always off), and an unlabeled flat position between the two (door controlled).

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I just had a quick look at a wiring diagram (it was for a 2002 model so i dunno) and it looks like the door contact switches connect straight to the instrument cluster, and the interior lights are controlled by the central locking control unit. Have fun!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Ignore how dirty and cluttered the garage is. I think only scuz has me beat for unreliable VW collection at the moment.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The dome light switch is set correctly, and the fuses are all good. Could it just be the bulb in the central light? I was under the impression that all three lights are meant to come on when the door is opened but on further reflection that might not be the case?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Ignore how dirty and cluttered the garage is. I think only scuz has me beat for unreliable VW collection at the moment.

I'd take a rocco over my wagon any day. And what a lovely snot color that is! :swoon:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Grakkus posted:

The dome light switch is set correctly, and the fuses are all good. Could it just be the bulb in the central light? I was under the impression that all three lights are meant to come on when the door is opened but on further reflection that might not be the case?

Usually it's one in the middle and possibly the footwell lighting if your car is equipped with it. Those other two are map/reading lights and usually have their own toggle buttons.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wellllll current speculation is that all EA 189 engine cars from 2009-2015 will be bought back by VW

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/business/international/volkswagen-says-a-diesel-fix-may-not-be-possible-for-some-cars.html?ref=business

Not exactly sure how the buyback program will end up getting implemented though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

I'd take a rocco over my wagon any day. And what a lovely snot color that is! :swoon:

I just love how you're like the only other person in this thread who appreciates anything older than MkV :v:

Apparently the color is calibri green. It's actually really nice in the spots where it hasn't oxidized to poo poo. I've never seen a socal native car with rot like this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

I just love how you're like the only other person in this thread who appreciates anything older than MkV :v:

Apparently the color is calibri green. It's actually really nice in the spots where it hasn't oxidized to poo poo. I've never seen a socal native car with rot like this.
After only a week of wrenching on that B5.5 W8 in my garage, simplicity is the new king of my automotive world. Plus those boxy bodies of Mk3s and older, mmmf. Girlfriend also mentioned that the next car she wants after her Prius is an old Beetle, so air-cooled here we come (in roughly 5 years).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

Hey now, I have never said anything bad about my old MK IV Jetta. 1.8T APR tune/intake/exhaust and that thing would spin the tires at will. It was silly fun and I miss it. Never gave me any trouble, not even electrical bullshit.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wellllll current speculation is that all EA 189 engine cars from 2009-2015 will be bought back by VW

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/business/international/volkswagen-says-a-diesel-fix-may-not-be-possible-for-some-cars.html?ref=business

Not exactly sure how the buyback program will end up getting implemented though.

Several news sites are throwing around a number around 100k as the number of vehicles VW is thinking about buying back (e.g., http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/will-vw-buy-back-some-its-diesel-cars). That makes no sense, since according to this article, there are ~300k EA189 cars out there. Is there a difference between the earlier EA 189 cars and the later ones? I would seem like EVERY TDI without the urea injection system would be subject to buyback, since afaik, the only way to bring them into compliance would be to design, test, produce, and install the system on existing vehicles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nostrum posted:

Several news sites are throwing around a number around 100k as the number of vehicles VW is thinking about buying back (e.g., http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/will-vw-buy-back-some-its-diesel-cars). That makes no sense, since according to this article, there are ~300k EA189 cars out there. Is there a difference between the earlier EA 189 cars and the later ones? I would seem like EVERY TDI without the urea injection system would be subject to buyback, since afaik, the only way to bring them into compliance would be to design, test, produce, and install the system on existing vehicles.

It's not broken down by engine, it's the cars that have IRS do not have enough room to install a urea tank. Most of that 100k or so cars are Jetta Sportwagens and 09 Jettas. 10 and on Jettas have beam suspensions and that would allow room for a tank retrofit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scuz posted:

After only a week of wrenching on that B5.5 W8 in my garage, simplicity is the new king of my automotive world. Plus those boxy bodies of Mk3s and older, mmmf. Girlfriend also mentioned that the next car she wants after her Prius is an old Beetle, so air-cooled here we come (in roughly 5 years).

Don't feel bad, I've been staring at my 58 shell for going on 7 years now. One day I'll care enough to finish it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Hey now, I have never said anything bad about my old MK IV Jetta. 1.8T APR tune/intake/exhaust and that thing would spin the tires at will. It was silly fun and I miss it. Never gave me any trouble, not even electrical bullshit.

Eh, it seems the VW world is just very broken up. Aircooleds, mk 1 and 2, mk3 and 4, then 5 and up.

Surprised that yours never gave you trouble, around here at least MkIVs are the most common vw in a junkyard.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Eh, it seems the VW world is just very broken up. Aircooleds, mk 1 and 2, mk3 and 4, then 5 and up.

Surprised that yours never gave you trouble, around here at least MkIVs are the most common vw in a junkyard.
Same here. MkIVs are absolutely everywhere on craiglist and dirt cheap to boot which is quite nice.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

It's not broken down by engine, it's the cars that have IRS do not have enough room to install a urea tank. Most of that 100k or so cars are Jetta Sportwagens and 09 Jettas. 10 and on Jettas have beam suspensions and that would allow room for a tank retrofit.

Does that also include the Mk6 Golf TDI, which (at least my 2011 does) has IRS?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
According to the rumors, yes.

In sort of related news, my friend has a '14 tdi sportwagen and it's had ongoing problems with back up camera not working, despite having the dealership look at it 3 times while it was still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

He is trying to have it fixed again, they think it is probably the entire vehicle harness, not the head unit or camera.

Probably 10k for a new harness, has to be made on demand :eyepop:

I wonder if they will buy it back in light of possible future buyback.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of backup cameras.

The one on my 2015 Passat somehow got off centered. I can't even imagine how that happens.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

MK3 and newer are just engine donors for the good ones. Also I didnt know you had an S1 Rocco and that rules, even cooler than the GTI.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

I've got a garage stuffed full of 90's VWs right now, It's just that I post about them as often as I work on them. The Passat wagon is the only one in driving condition at the moment, hopefully I'll get off my rear end in the new year and finish swapping parts from the Wrecked Red Jetta to the lovely Red Jetta. I've got a '13 golf as my daily, which only makes it easier to leave these sit around and rot.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was the USA VW Fox rear-wheel drive or did they just mount the engine longitudinally for grins?

And, fun for me, there are three new Caddy listings on craigslist. I bet this guy'd take $800 and someone could have a sweet project. I like that he has snaps of the strut towers!

edit: gaht drat, i'm drooling

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
It was front wheel drive like the Audis of that era. There was a dude who had the 2 door wagon version way back when I was in high school that was cool.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My dad is going to lease the electric Golf for 3 years at around $200/month. The government is going to give him $9k so it's almost going to be free as long as he doesn't go over his milage. Taking him to pick it up Friday.

Did they give money to everyone that is effected or just certain people? I've been overseas for most of the fall and haven't heard anything about it other then a letter that my '11 Q7 was potentially effected.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've been doing a bit of research into the B8/B8.5 S4 as a possible next car but I'm curious whether it is really that much better than the older S4's on the reliability front. The only major issues I've seen anyone talking about are DSG failures, which aren't an issue as I'd get a manual, and problems with the E-Diff. My current car is a 2007 S60R, which has cost me quite a bit in repairs, probably around 2.5k/yr in the time I've owned it. This is worse than average for an S60R, but by most accounts less what an M3 or B6/7 S4 would cost. I don't want another money-pit car, and maybe that means German performance is just not for me, but I'm hoping the B8 S4 might be the answer.

Am I setting myself up for a big mistake here?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've been doing a bit of research into the B8/B8.5 S4 as a possible next car but I'm curious whether it is really that much better than the older S4's on the reliability front. The only major issues I've seen anyone talking about are DSG failures, which aren't an issue as I'd get a manual, and problems with the E-Diff. My current car is a 2007 S60R, which has cost me quite a bit in repairs, probably around 2.5k/yr in the time I've owned it. This is worse than average for an S60R, but by most accounts less what an M3 or B6/7 S4 would cost. I don't want another money-pit car, and maybe that means German performance is just not for me, but I'm hoping the B8 S4 might be the answer.

No. They are significantly more reliable than the B6/7. The early models had some water pump/thermostat issues but they should be ironed out by now. The manual is pretty bulletproof and for me, it felt like a jet fighter to drive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I have a 2013 B8.5 S4, that I got brand new, with all the options and I've never had a problem with it. Other than routine maintenance it's never been to the dealer.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
FWIW: Consumer Reports is now ranking Audi up with Lexus and Toyota for reliability.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Update to my continuing saga of my broken 2016 Jetta: still broken.

So after two long stints at the dealer for my check engine light, which was a brake pressure sensor failure, its broken for a third time. First time, in a baffling display of ineptitude, they replaced the ECU. Check engine light came on within 100 miles, brought it back, they replaced the brake pressure sensor. Light was off for a solid 400 miles, drove in the snow today and the ABS came on when I was testing the brakes and the check engine light popped right on.

So clearly, there is an issue with the brake booster/vacuum lines, but at this point I may just ask for a new car so I don't have to actually go through lemon lawing it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Voltage posted:

So clearly, there is an issue with the brake booster/vacuum lines, but at this point I may just ask for a new car so I don't have to actually go through lemon lawing it.

Without a doubt. That kind of experience is unacceptable with a trashed used car, much less a brand new one. :(

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It's just funny that I drove a rusted out salvaged titled Miata with 200,000+ for a couple years and the worst problem I ever had was the accessory belt snapped, which I easily swapped out on the side of the road. Literally nothing else ever broke, but somehow my brand new car is just a sad failure.

I suspect its just something simple like a loose vacuum line from the factory, but thats honestly not my problem to diagnose or even speculate with a full warranty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Lawyer up and look at lemon laws?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm glad the one on the left had the decency to wait until you got home before horfing up its engine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Voltage posted:

Update to my continuing saga of my broken 2016 Jetta: still broken.

So after two long stints at the dealer for my check engine light, which was a brake pressure sensor failure, its broken for a third time. First time, in a baffling display of ineptitude, they replaced the ECU. Check engine light came on within 100 miles, brought it back, they replaced the brake pressure sensor. Light was off for a solid 400 miles, drove in the snow today and the ABS came on when I was testing the brakes and the check engine light popped right on.

God drat. I always find it weird that there's always one car that is a complete basket case. Reminds me of that guy with the 911 that just had random crazy poo poo going wrong and they wouldn't give him a new one until the story blew up on the internet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

God drat. I always find it weird that there's always one car that is a complete basket case. Reminds me of that guy with the 911 that just had random crazy poo poo going wrong and they wouldn't give him a new one until the story blew up on the internet.

Nick Murray

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLaohamb74-adfyzjbntzkBVXw_2NdAN1

He's actually a nice guy but comes across a bit douchy in some of his videos.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

willroc7 posted:

No. They are significantly more reliable than the B6/7. The early models had some water pump/thermostat issues but they should be ironed out by now. The manual is pretty bulletproof and for me, it felt like a jet fighter to drive.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have a 2013 B8.5 S4, that I got brand new, with all the options and I've never had a problem with it. Other than routine maintenance it's never been to the dealer.

Well that's awesome. I'll have to take one for a test drive.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

fknlo posted:

My mother is on her second new 2016 Lincoln MKX in a month and a half. The first one had a issue where the remote start would not work no matter how many resets, fobs or whatever the dealership threw at it. GM finally said, 'Stop this poo poo and go find her another car'. The second one had an intermittent rear view camera issue. She got it back Thursday after they replaced the camera, and now the front camera doesn't work. :suicide:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

go3 posted:

My mother is on her second new 2016 Lincoln MKX in a month and a half. The first one had a issue where the remote start would not work no matter how many resets, fobs or whatever the dealership threw at it. GM finally said, 'Stop this poo poo and go find her another car'. The second one had an intermittent rear view camera issue. She got it back Thursday after they replaced the camera, and now the front camera doesn't work. :suicide:

I think you mean ford?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I think you mean ford?

I read it as General Manager, but I can see the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
poo poo, that does make more sense! I'm just surprised they did right by him.

I'm also really surprised about the whole Audi reliability thing; I suddenly really really want an s4...

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 7, 2016