Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Add another company to the ranks of mentioning the Verizon ad, now US Cellular is doing it too. Although they're still working within their own ad style but their spokesman manhandles some balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

muscles like this? posted:

Add another company to the ranks of mentioning the Verizon ad, now US Cellular is doing it too. Although they're still working within their own ad style but their spokesman manhandles some balls.

If it weren't for the White Sox stadium I would never have heard of US Cellular at all. Is their service area really that small?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'll echo the sentiment that I never considered that ball commercial especially noteworthy until Sprint made their response to it. Verizon's competitors really made that ad a lot more memorable than it would be on its own merits.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I don't "hate" these Jim Beam ads really but it's super weird hearing Meg Griffin shill whiskey.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

spoon0042 posted:

I don't "hate" these Jim Beam ads really but it's super weird hearing Meg Griffin shill whiskey.

To me Mila Kunis will always be Jackie Burkhart (and while looking her up to remind me what Jackie's last name was I learned she married Ashton Kutcher last year. Huh.)

Did you guys know that cigarettes are literally facehuggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8fcHI0-BI

The message here is fine but something about the delivery just really loving irks me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

razorrozar posted:

To me Mila Kunis will always be Jackie Burkhart (and while looking her up to remind me what Jackie's last name was I learned she married Ashton Kutcher last year. Huh.)

The message here is fine but something about the delivery just really loving irks me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I had an extended twitter exchange with them about how lovely their ads were - particularly the one where a dude starts smoking in the woods and suddenly the Nazgul and a bunch of other awesome ghostly entities appear and charge towards him. I told them that it might, in fact, be making smoking look cooler than they had intended. They insisted that FOCUS GROUPS said otherwise. Which is great for them, I'm sure.

It's kind of bonkers how everybody is going after Verizon for their weird balls commercial.

Sprint's is the worst because they've got a white douchebag with a katana and kimono slashing Verizon's name in half or something. I'm sure their marketing team was like "YEAH PWNED!" when they saw that.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 20, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Majorian posted:

Sprint's is the worst because they've got a white douchebag with a katana and kimono slashing Verizon's name in half or something. I'm sure their marketing team was like "YEAH PWNED!" when they saw that.

No, they're cutting the bill in half. Because Sprint is doing a promotion where if you switch to them you'll pay half of what you did on your previous carrier, get it?!?!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

I had an extended twitter exchange with them about how lovely their ads were - particularly the one where a dude starts smoking in the woods and suddenly the Nazgul and a bunch of other awesome ghostly entities appear and charge towards him. I told them that it might, in fact, be making smoking look cooler than they had intended. They insisted that FOCUS GROUPS said otherwise. Which is great for them, I'm sure.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StealthCigaretteCommercial

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

If it weren't for the White Sox stadium I would never have heard of US Cellular at all. Is their service area really that small?
They also sponsor arenas in Milwaukee and somewhere in Iowa, so it's probably a Midwest thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Their big advertising thing is that it works in the middle of nowhere so yeah, a Midwestern thing.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

razorrozar posted:

Saw a similar stop smoking PSA full of internet famous cats saying that cats get second hand smoke, too. Quit smoking for your cat.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

NarwhalParty posted:

Saw a similar stop smoking PSA full of internet famous cats saying that cats get second hand smoke, too. Quit smoking for your cat.
Thank you for reminding me to post this. You can find it here: https://www.thetruth.com/articles/videos/catmageddon

I was giggling with incredulity when I saw this poo poo on tv.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why do we even need anti-smoking campaigns on TV anymore? Everyone knows the health risks, and cigarette smoke smells terrible. Those are two good reasons to never smoke cigarettes.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Visual Sneeze posted:

Thank you for reminding me to post this. You can find it here: https://www.thetruth.com/articles/videos/catmageddon

I was giggling with incredulity when I saw this poo poo on tv.

I actually like this one? And BUB is at the end, and BUB is a magical kitty.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aren't anti-smoking ads funded by smoking companies because they are forced by law to do so. I've always felt those ads were so overpoweringly terrible and lame to intentionally get kids to smoke in defiance of them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Y-Hat posted:

Why do we even need anti-smoking campaigns on TV anymore? Everyone knows the health risks, and cigarette smoke smells terrible. Those are two good reasons to never smoke cigarettes.

It's basically the same reason that Coke and McDonalds still need to advertise, which is basically just the idea of "out of sight out of mind". Even if you know the risks, not being constantly reminded means there's a chance you might forget for long enough to try it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Aren't anti-smoking ads funded by smoking companies because they are forced by law to do so. I've always felt those ads were so overpoweringly terrible and lame to intentionally get kids to smoke in defiance of them.

They were forced to pay into a fund as part of the class action settlement. They have no fiscal control of the fund or editorial control of the ads.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

drat. It was more fun to think it was a conspiracy that just being anti-smoking people believing vine memes, cat videos, and dub step was the way to get the kids off the cigarettes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

And yet, people continue to do it worldwide.

I think the ones where the little cigarette dude keeps making the kid interrupt poo poo with his friends every 10 minutes to go smoke is a pretty good one. Because that poo poo is real, and real annoying when you have friends that smoke.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't know how effective they are since they are kind of sensationalist, but the ones where they show the person who had his or her jaw removed from the cancer and died at 50 make me never want to start personally.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not an ad, exactly, but... what the gently caress is the point of this?

"Hmm yes let me personalize this tiny 8 ounce plastic bottle of water"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That's probably be useful for field trip lunches or something, each kid gets a bottle and a sharpie to doodle something on it so they don't get mixed up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
One of the stereotypes about the US from foreigners is how we have Tobacco police that'll take away your cigarettes (compare with the right wing fear about gun control).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

computer parts posted:

One of the stereotypes about the US from foreigners is how we have Tobacco police that'll take away your cigarettes (compare with the right wing fear about gun control).

With all due fairness somebody was choked to death by a cop because he was selling loosies a short while ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Short Penguin posted:

I actually like this one? And BUB is at the end, and BUB is a magical kitty.

The guy who owns Bub has said that he actually did quit smoking because he was worried about her health, so that's why she's in the ad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ayn rand hand job posted:

They were forced to pay into a fund as part of the class action settlement. They have no fiscal control of the fund or editorial control of the ads.

Emphasis on 'were.' The payments ended like a decade ago.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

So I just saw this on TV...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=belVxm6aRSY

Apparently the author is in prison in Russia and helped found a bunch of crazy pyramid schemes. I can't wait to read this horror masterpiece that compares to Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

Kwatz fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 23, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In amongst the 10 billion ads for blinds on national radio these days, now 7-Eleven is running an ad for some melts and features a guy making as many chewy, smacky sounds as loving possible :suicide:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DJExile posted:

In amongst the 10 billion ads for blinds on national radio these days, now 7-Eleven is running an ad for some melts and features a guy making as many chewy, smacky sounds as loving possible :suicide:

I keep getting an ad on Pandora for kit-kats and it ends with the loudest, wettest 'crunch' sound you can imagine and every time I hear it I want to strangle the person who created it with my headphone cord.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kit Kat seems to have finally caught on with their TV ads at least that people hate that poo poo, so they redid the ads so the crunching is more muted and they put music over it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

The guy who owns Bub has said that he actually did quit smoking because he was worried about her health, so that's why she's in the ad.

that's so awesome :')

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The ad was cute the first time, but I am tired of the commercial with the girl singing about going to college to the tune of "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rirse posted:

The ad was cute the first time, but I am tired of the commercial with the girl singing about going to college to the tune of "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz.

It being University of Phoenix doesn't help much either.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Are we tired of the hash rocket ship old time cartoon commercial yet?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
"We all wonder. Wonder what it would be like to fly...to have in-credible power...to journey to a world beyond anything we thought possible. We wish, we hope, we dream; then we come to realize...wonder can be real after all..." "Lumos Maxima!" :barf:

Wonder can be real...FOR A 1-DAY PASS OF $95!*

*WonderŽ is a registered trademark of The Walt Disney Company and cannot be used without explicit written consent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I was tired of it the first time, but yeah.

Also why is Extra gum trying to do the heavy romantic angle?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rirse posted:

The horrible off-key singing that goes on for a full minute is the worst part.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also the weird insistent "you didn't think I was smart, did you?" Tone. Nobody said you didn't have a brain! Stop taking your insecurities out on us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Their big advertising thing is that it works in the middle of nowhere so yeah, a Midwestern thing.

They're the only carrier that works reliably at all in southern Virginia. But yeah, still middle of nowhere. :banjo: