Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Skim Milk posted:

if you can do a lot of weight with OHP it's probably fine but there's probably a better way to increase the size and strength of those muscles than spending 50% of your training time squirming around under 95lbs #startingstrength

I spent about 15 minutes on OHP today and got up to 3 reps of 170. Is that good enough for your goon standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hatebag posted:

It's $20/month for effectively 2 memberships. Girlfriend comes as a guest every time. No good gym can compete with that. This is a contributing factor in deciding to build a wooden squat rack, though.

Actually a good gym provides you with an environment where you can make progress surrounded by successful athletes, not pizza for $20/month

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Mmmm, Pizza. I think I will have some tonight!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
We made pizza Sunday night it was great. Naan makes a great start for quick homemade pizza.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I hit costco for protein bars, steak, chicken, and veggies.

Then I bulk on their pizza and take-n-bakes. :twisted:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

bamhand posted:

I spent about 15 minutes on OHP today and got up to 3 reps of 170. Is that good enough for your goon standards?

Yeah that's p dece

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy

FogHelmut posted:

There are still people who buy those toe shoes.

I'm on my 5th pair. My calves are so magnificent that I've inspired 3 others in the gym to get toe shoes. Little do they know you only get monster calves from being a a former obese fatty fat fat.

Having big calves gets you laid every weekend.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Its true, whenever I go outside I make sure my calves are visible. Even in winter, I cut the bottom of all my pants off

Just yesterday I was hitting up the local circus when a woman walked up to me and asked if we could have sex together. Later, after we had sex together, she said she noticed me because of my calves and that she thought they were the most beautiful thing she had ever seen

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i, too, have had women compliment my calves. :feelsgood:

although i do almost nothing for them other than the stair machine

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

Actually a good gym provides you with an environment where you can make progress surrounded by successful athletes, not pizza for $20/month

Yeah, like I implied it is a bad gym but I'm cheap and consistently getting stronger so whatever. Good for watching people do dumb poo poo though like squat 10 lbs and this one guy I call spittin spaz who just does fake karate moves while spitting.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
No gym can beat 10$ a month if a so called good gym can get to 20$ even with no extra fees i would jump in a heartbeat.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I pay $40 a month for Anytime and I got no complaints. The only thing it doesn't have is an Erg rowing machine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My gym is $20 a month + a $40 yearly fee. It's not a bad gym. While it doesn't have *everything*, it has the essentials and its all in good condition. I've been to better gyms, and I've been to worse gyms. Sometimes it's crowded, sometimes it's not. Also its like a mile away from home.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Just signed up at a powerlifting/strongman gym for $45 a month. And is "open 24/7/365" which just means it's a warehouse full of oly platforms, power cages, benches, all kinds of weird strongman concrete spheres. Keypad to enter, you just use your code , No staff. No locker room. A single small toilet room.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

Just signed up at a powerlifting/strongman gym for $45 a month. And is "open 24/7/365" which just means it's a warehouse full of oly platforms, power cages, benches, all kinds of weird strongman concrete spheres. Keypad to enter, you just use your code , No staff. No locker room. A single small toilet room.

These are the best gyms. Enjoy the roids.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wow with a gym like that you probably won't even need your Grindr profile anymore.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Paper Diamonds posted:

I work out inside of a concrete sphere irl.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am a concrete sphere irl

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

These are the best gyms. Enjoy the roids.
The equipment had a certain prison grunge atmosphere. But everybody was super nice and there were some really strong people there. One of the big powerlifting associates in the area is Natural Athletes Strength Assoc. and it sounds like some of the guys compete there. Obviously it doesnt mean nobody is using roids, but whatevs.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
There's a "gay gym" (smack dab in the gay aea, caters to the LGBTQ* community, co-ed locker rooms which is a bit much for my American sensibilities) with pretty sweet amenities for what you pay for but the commute is a bit much for something I'd be going to 3-5 days a week.

Something inspiring about working out with a bunch of extremely vain gay dudes, like they probably know what's up and are supportive (maybe)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*pours preworkout powder directly into mouth*

*machine gun sounds*

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's been four days and my calves still feel like rubbery bags of pain. On Monday I finished my leg workout with single-leg bodyweight calf raises, barefoot on a plate - something I haven't done in a couple of months, though I have been squatting. The pain is definitely in the muscle tissue not the tendons and feels like a tension that makes me stand up and step awkwardly. This is just really long-lasting DOMS from not having worked out my calves in a while, right?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yes, foam roll and get blood flowing in them.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Yep foam roll as above...I got a massage stick which is a bit more portable and allows you to apply pressure with your hands rather than your body weight, it's been worth the $20

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

The Revenant posted:

Actually he's saying they can go up by 20 lbs. 10 on each side, OP.

How do you make two 5's become 20? Or a 10...

- - -

Adding 10lbs shouldn't be that bad on overhead press, but - maybe I am just being an unintentional rear end in a top hat here :>

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can add 10lbs infinitely, because 10lbs isnt very heavy

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

The equipment had a certain prison grunge atmosphere. But everybody was super nice and there were some really strong people there. One of the big powerlifting associates in the area is Natural Athletes Strength Assoc. and it sounds like some of the guys compete there. Obviously it doesnt mean nobody is using roids, but whatevs.

Yeah more seriously the vast majority of strong people are pretty nice and helpful and less of them are on something than you'd think. Learn what you can from them. You're in the right environment to make crazy gains.

Uxzuigal posted:

How do you make two 5's become 20? Or a 10...

- - -

Adding 10lbs shouldn't be that bad on overhead press, but - maybe I am just being an unintentional rear end in a top hat here :>

post ur press bruh

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

this is a good one and the art joke is funny

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Set a squat PR tonight. Had a deadlift and OHP PR earlier this week. Glutes status blasted. Shoulders too.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Green Crayons posted:

this is a good one and the art joke is funny

i liked the gunshot noises

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Well I found the right weight tonight. I actually got a spot for my last squat rep and both squats and deadlifts felt like I was about to pop my head off and my glutes are mad at me. No more recovery/catch-up phase, that was definitely 100% for the first time since September.

Squats about killed me, I hit the bottom on the last rep of my last two sets and just lost all tension, so it was a real struggle to get it back up. It was actually incredibly easier if I leaned back a bit, it almost felt like the weight disappeared and I could push it back up relatively easily, but it also felt like I was a few inches from falling over backwards and losing it. I may have to reevaluate my stance.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

I actually got a spot for my last squat rep

Was he hot though?

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Having awesome people who know their poo poo around you is a pretty god drat good boost. My gym is about 35$ per month, classic Arnold Style, lovely place.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah more seriously the vast majority of strong people are pretty nice and helpful and less of them are on something than you'd think. Learn what you can from them. You're in the right environment to make crazy gains.

post ur press bruh

Not anything impressive, somewhere around 130lbs. Climbing steadyli :> [barbell shoulderpress]. 8th month in the gym today actualy :banjo:

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 12, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
OHP sucks. It's the worst lift in the world of lifts.

Also, where is Tiny Lowtax these days?

sperg_testing
Mar 12, 2016

by Lowtax
i heard if u want to lose MUSCLE and MASS cardio is the best

of course ppl thatsit in their basement/porch all day jacking off to gossip girl and their own cargo crew farts probably have never jogged more than 2km in their life so how the gently caress would this work 4 them idk?

weight loss is a tough concept 4 spergs as always

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Weight loss is tough for me because lifting while on a caloric deficit is the worst thing in the world, but if I stop lifting then I feel like poo poo. So I'm in a permanent state of frustrating mediocrity because I can't commit to cutting or bulking

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pesmerga posted:

OHP sucks. It's the worst lift in the world of lifts.

Also, where is Tiny Lowtax these days?

He got banned for posting like an unmedicated psycho, and good riddance.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

Having awesome people who know their poo poo around you is a pretty god drat good boost. My gym is about 35$ per month, classic Arnold Style, lovely place.

Not anything impressive, somewhere around 130lbs. Climbing steadyli :> [barbell shoulderpress]. 8th month in the gym today actualy :banjo:

Pretty good for starting out

UnfurledSails posted:

Weight loss is tough for me because lifting while on a caloric deficit is the worst thing in the world, but if I stop lifting then I feel like poo poo. So I'm in a permanent state of frustrating mediocrity because I can't commit to cutting or bulking

Move more so you can eat more and still lose weight

notZaar posted:

He got banned for posting like an unmedicated psycho, and good riddance.

That was the other one I think

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
saturday sauna activated

i hope you guys do sauna as well it fwels real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
This thread is really gay and I'm loving it.

• Locked thread