Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ab

Let's not waste too much time on this. we've picked the time-intensive options thus far, and I don't think we can really afford that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

##vote
1.Ab

Let's get a move on!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Wait, she said something was important, which bit was important?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah also ask about this.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Forgetful Duckling

Nettle Soup posted:

"Oh. One of the torches went out. The really bright ones? You seemed concerned about those, so I came right down to tell you!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ok we're really on a time limit now, we want to get back before Slime Lake wakes up.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
If we used all of our kobold junk to make a fire how long would it last and could it light up the room?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fire Utility

Klingtron posted:

If we used all of our kobold junk to make a fire how long would it last and could it light up the room?

You have access to [016] piles of Kobold Equipment, which you may salvage for plausible parts for your hearts desire.

There are at least [08] additional piles of Kobold Equipment strewn about the passages you have already gone through which you have yet to pick up as you had other things to do.

You know of a room full of Kobold Junk, the amount of useful items therein cannot be reliable evaluated without a thorough search.

You know of several Kobold 'nests' which could probably be salvaged for parts, but doing so would take precious time and you suspect they might be trapped.

You are aware of a large puddle of Oil nearby.

Your own lanterns and torches are made out of a special mixture of alchemical reagents that produce clean, smokeless fire, but not one bright enough to get the job done, apparently.

The Ultra-Bright torches, of which you have a very limited supply are all being used to keep the suspected Slime Lake at bay.

You are aware that, should you pile a bunch of junk in a great pyre and set fire to it, the resulting released gasses would A; make it impossible to see and B; Quickly suffocate you, as you are currently within an underground mine with but one exit, far far above you.
That said, it is difficult to gauge how long it would last. You do have rather a lot of junk, but fire consumes greedily.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

You are aware that, should you pile a bunch of junk in a great pyre and set fire to it, the resulting released gasses would A; make it impossible to see and B; Quickly suffocate you, as you are currently within an underground mine with but one exit, far far above you.
That said, it is difficult to gauge how long it would last. You do have rather a lot of junk, but fire consumes greedily.

Could we uh...just build a really big fire and run away, thus blinding and suffocating the angry kobolds and giving us a diversion to escape in one fell swoop? We'd have to come back later to confirm of course.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Fire questions, continued!

There Bias Two posted:

Could we uh...just build a really big fire and run away, thus blinding and suffocating the angry kobolds and giving us a diversion to escape in one fell swoop? We'd have to come back later to confirm of course.

Aside from the time it would take to pile all the easily burnable stuff together and the time it takes to make a safe fuse? Nothing is stopping you.
However there is no telling what will happen to the pyre after you leave; or indeed the Kobolds or the mine in general, or how long the mine would be uninhabitable after the fire has died out. Again, only one exit.

Judging by the oilslick and the Kobolds general lack of safety protocols in general though; they don't seem too concerned with the possibility of a fire.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Mine, Level 5, The Nesting Hall.
Month 2, week three, day six.
Night.

You tell Abigail to run back to Basecamp and come gather as many pieces of armour as she can and perhaps a weapon worthy of a someone as skilled as Ragnar from your various piles of Kobold junk, and she nods, eager to help.
Before she leaves you give her a gentle reminder to please stay in contact viz a viz the status of the remaining Ultra-Bright torches as well. Such business concluded, you return to check on the lockpicking progress.

It doesn't take much convincing to get Ragnar aboard with the whole “Lets kill the rest of the Kobolds” plan, at least in theory, but he is still somewhat apprehensive about his lack of equipment.
You assure him you have your best duck working on that as you speak which results in a smirk from the prisoner before you.
Since there isn't much to do whilst waiting for Konnie to finish his work, at least util Abigail gets back, you head down to the main cavern again to do some light and very careful reconnaissance.

---

Just as you enter you see the nesthall proper you hear the rattle and squeak of metal wheels on metal tracks, and you dash to hide behind one of the giant stone pillars, peaking out from behind it as to not be seen.
Two Kobolds are pushing a minecart from the side-passage up towards the light in west-central part of the cave, what for convenience sake we shall call the core.
They do not spot you and in any case seem very preoccupied with their task, but you decide to keep back for now in any case.

Fortunately the next movement you spot is Abigail as she returns with Johakim in tow to help her carry a mass of stuff from your ever increasing pile of Second Hand Kobold Equipment Pile.
Together you make it back to the cell and show the seasoned mercenary your findings. You are met with a spectacular combination of a laugh and a sigh.

“That is certainly going to get someone killed! I just hope that someone won't be me!” “Haaha!” “Ah. Sigh.” “Hah!”

A few sweat-laden tinkering clicks later and the heavy mechanism barring your way into the cell gives way to Konnies apparent hobbyist mastery.
The chains holding Ragnar in place are much easier to break though, especially with the combined might of Kvelar and Tommy and a bit of leverage courtesy of dead Kobolds.
After getting him on his feet you decide to split up into two teams; Ragnar, Abigail and Johakim working on outfitting the former as quickly as possible whilst you, Kvelar, Konnie and Tommy go check out the traps littering your escape route.

---

The strange Pillar-trap is the first to go, as Konnie inspects it and takes a gamble on that it wont collapse the entire mountain on top of you.
Kvelar takes a shot at it with his crossbow from a safe distance, the pillar falls and with it the trapdoor covering the ceiling.

Thousands of small sharp things come raining down, pieces of iron and other metals broken and bent, glass shards and even claws and bones from what must be dead Kobolds.
As a pièce de résistance a large rusted beartrap falls down, snapping shut instantly as it touches the ground which is now throughougly littered in improvised caltrops.
Fortunately for you all it takes to 'disarm' this trap is to sweep them aside. It takes all of a minute, and the route is safe once more. Had you been forced through it in the midst of combat however, the situation would have been very different.

The Oil is much harder to deal with, just covering it in soil wont do much, and you don't have time to soak it up with rags or futilely herding it into empty canteens. There is simply too much of it.
The powdery piles, strewn on the sides are easier to deal with. All you need is a thick leather bag, though you have no time to separate them. [+01 large thick bag of mixed ??? (red and grey metallic dust]

Khami comes running down to your position during your disarming session, notifying you of yet another Ultra-Bright torch going out. Seems you only have four left now. Unsure of how to progress with the oil, you head back to check on Ragnars progress.

---

It's.... certainly something. Armours fit to cover at least three kobolds have been mercilessly belted together and forced into a rough humanoid shape, with metal bits that could be anything covering holes where there simply wasn't enough fabric to go around.
His gauntlets might be recycled tail-guards and you have reason to believe blood was used as glue somehow. [-08 Kobold Equipment]
Ragnar has what can only be described as a big dumb grin on his face, but even you can tell from his eyes that he is pumping himself up.

“Not exactly combat-armour, but it will have to do. I wonder though, what roll would I be suited for in the battle to come? We've got a crossbow and some spears that are more like Javelins in my mighty hands,
but I’m sure we could break something to make a crude axe or wooden shield without to much trouble.”
He says as he affixes the worst helmet you have ever seen to his head. A dissatisfied grunt follows and he takes it off again, throwing it to the ground.
“Too small either way, if only I had my actual gear, this would be much easier.”

---

1: Ragnar is a former Imperial Army Soldier turned Mercenary. He has basic to advanced training with most martial weapons and considerable experience with both small and large unit combat. He is a formidable if perhaps temporary ally.
He is currently equipped with Kobold-Quality Handcrafted custom-made ??? leather “armour” with regulation loincloth as well as a satchel containing important imperial documents.
Across his back is slung a hastily made backpack the contents to which you are not yet privy.

If he is to fight for you, he needs appropriate weaponry and a basic role to adopt in combat.

A: Plan Ragnar
“There aren't that many of us so we need every advantage we can get, with a shield and a few 'spears' I could do considerable damage, might even be able to throw one or two and the shield should keep me safe where the armour cannot.”

B: Plan Kvelar
“We can handle Kobolds in meleé, 'tis their archers I'm worried about. We could use another ranged fighter in our team, give 'im a crossbow or two an all da bolts he can carry.”

C: Plan Abigail
“We devastated them as soon as we got close, right? Just strap some more armour to him and give him an axe or something, or as many sharp things as possible! We could even add spikes to his armour! It’ll be awesome!” [-02 Kobold Equipment] [Locating the extra equipment will take time!]

D: Something else? You have a total of sixteen piles of kobold equipment left in various stages of being-easy-to-get-a-hold-of although all of these are all back at basecamp.
Anything you could plausibly craft or salvage from the remains of the enemies you have faced so far. The more difficult the suggestion the more piles and time it will take to construct.

---

2: You can feel it in the air. Battle is nigh. The question is how long you have until the Kobolds force your hand, or until the Ultra-Bright torches holding the lake at bay fizzle out.
Staying would let you fortify and disarm more and equip Ragnar better if that is your plan, but it would equally leave you at the mercy of whatever the tiny lizards are planning.
Going into the core might take them by surprise, or it could be yet another trap. What do you do?

E: Plan Abigail
Charge the core, right now!

F: Plan Kvelar
Charge the core, but explore the remaining side-passages first and don't charge as much as creep up to it slowly, attempting to essentially ambush an enemy that knows you are coming.

G: Plan Konnie
Have Konnie Scout. Including the side-passages. The rest of ITEC is to stay behind and await his report.

H: Plan Johakim
Johakim insists you should have everyone able with you if this is to be the final fight, if you should fight it at all. Skvababt included.
She is not of much use up at basecamp with the torches so nearby, and probably couldn't deal with a giant slime monster even if the torches did go out.
Getting her down here will take some time and you aren't sure how much use she will be if she was already feeling the effects of whatever her condition is further above, but at the same time more bodies couldn't hurt?
This option can be combined with the others, except Abigails as she wants to engage immediately.

I: Plan Tommy:
Stay and fortify the nest-hall as best you are able. You have lots of crates from the nearby storage room, as well as thousands of sharp metal objects you recently acquired if you wanted to beat the Kobolds at their own trapping game.

---

ITEC quick Summary
Morale is High, the Mood is Worried and Tense.
You, Konnie, Tommy and Kvelar are equipped and ready to fight. Ragnar is being equipped. Abigail is just sort of hanging around, innocently waiting for battle to start. Johakim and Khami are about to head back to basecamp, where Skvababt is keeping guard over Slimelake.
You have [-02 crumbs] remaining. You have [04 Ultra-bright torches] remaining. You have a [01 bag of strange dust]. You have access to [an arbitrary amount of caltrops] as well as a large oil slick and are in control of a pit-trap much higher up in the mine.
You have done your best to disarm the nearby traps, but the nests in the Nesthall are all still unexplored, as well as its side-passages.
As always you are free to ask questions of any NPCs present.

---

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: “We are giving them too much time to prepare, I don't like it.”
Tommy: “I say we fight them here, (in the nesting hall) lots of cover, easy choke-points to fall back too.”
Kvelar: “Da time for chit-chat is over, let's give em what for before they give us what.”
Abigail: “Yeah! Fight! Lets do it!”
Johakim: “... Don't get anyone else killed now, y'hear?”
Khami: “Let swiftness be our guiding word, whatever path we take.”
Ragnar: “When fighting the little scalies, be careful! Your first impression is nearly always wrong.”

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A
F

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

AE

“Too small either way, if only I had my actual gear, this would be much easier.”

Ask him about this. Is his gear around here I wonder?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

AF, I trust Ragnar to know his best strengths and he can still get a couple ranged shots. And we need to be cautious even if they won't be surprised.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ragnars Gear

Nettle Soup posted:

AE
Ask him about this. Is his gear around here I wonder?

"Judging by the state of the armour I find myself in at the moment, and it's origins, I'd wager good coin on my own gear meeting a similar fate as those of the dwarves that used to mine this mine.
Used for the nefarious purposes of trap-making and protecting those very creatures whom I was sent here to destroy!" "A pity, I really liked some of that stuff."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A
F

Charge! ...carefully! :black101:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AE

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Mine, Level 5, The Nesting Hall.
Month 2, week three, day six.
Night.

A note on Orders

You decide to follow Kvelars advice, and Ragnars best judgement. Another minute is spent getting everyone ready and in that time Ragnar has managed to find an iron buckler (it might be a re-worked skillet) in the midst of all the Koboldish debris.
Better than nothing at least!

Johakim pleads with you to bring everyone along, but you feel you are somewhat strapped for time. Dejected, he heads out of harms way, presumably to make it back up to Skvababt.
Abigail does not follow him however. She figures since she is already here, she might as well join the fight, right? Khami looks concerned for a moment, but decides to stay as well. His orders where to protect the others and he feels Abigail is most in need of protecting.
That he actually wanted to fight and told you as much earlier might also have something to do with it.

Whilst your team usually follows your directives that does mean they always will. ITEC is still less than three months old and in either case, your followers all have their own wants and needs.
Still, having another two fighters with you for the final push is not exactly dire news, but perhaps it's something to consider for the post-mission debrief, if anyone makes it out alive.

---

Your team slowly makes it way to the northern passage, taking care to hide behind the natural stone pillar to break line of sight to the core, should curious Kobolds be on the lookout for danger.

What you find in that pleasantly lit passage was not perhaps what you had been expecting; true, it was another exploratory tunnel turned storage-room but what it stored was not useful equipment but rather macabre meat.
Corpses to be precise. In various states of decay and, you shudder to think of it, consumption. At least 80% of the corpses are Koboldian in nature and the fatal wounds that they suffered to meet such a fate are as far as you can tell all artificial in nature.
Spearwounds, crushed bones, broken bodies. Some of them still attached to the traps that did them in, although any easily accessible working parts have been salvaged long ago.

You also spot what are unmistakably dwarvish skeletons, stripped bear(d) of all belongings as well as muscle and other protein rich tissue. A few taller skeletons tell tale of the mines once human inhabitants as well.
The fell pile is quiet large and going through it at this juncture is unthinkable. The stench alone causes you to vomit, joined shortly by Khami and Abigail. You eye is instinctively drawn to the blue goop in your own fresh miasma and you start to feel woozier still.
Shuddering, you motion for everyone to turn around and keep going, the sooner you can leave this place the better.
The non-kobold corpses will have to receive proper interment, and you still need to find the appropriate Death Certificates (you know divine blessings will have made sure they survived whatever the Kobolds did with the satchels), but all things in due time.

Moving more quickly now, as the metallic drumming from the core reaches a crescendo in rhythm and power you make your way to the southwestern passage, following the left fork in the minetracks that have led all the way down here from the surface.
A few minutes ago you saw a few Kobolds leave this area pushing a minecart in front of them and they seem to have taken everything of value with them.
The storage area houses naught but empty boxes and dozens of fresh kobold-tracks, leading every which way but ultimately core-wards.

Members of your group mutters under their breath as once more you turn around, this time to face the music, literally.

---

In the Core, The Most Sacred Object, affectionately dubbed Big Kate by the Grüwian Silvermine Kobold Community for two weeks running, was both backdrop and spotlight of the grandest of ceremonies.
Another Egg was hatching, and not just any old egg was inside. The eldest could tell by the markings that there, waiting for the glorious release of birth, was none other than their new leader.
The gleaming Crown of Command lay ready at it's place of honour, though how the Kobolds had gotten a hold of gold was anyone's guess, much less how they had managed to both mould and smelt it into a wearable shape.

Two rows of Kobolds beat the Rythm of Birth in Battle on large metal containers, using whatever lay at hand.
Unsalvaged pickaxes, hammers, the skull of an old friend. Anything would do. All the while screaming, chanting “All Hail Egg!” “All Hail Egg!” The assembled masses cheer, waving spears and torches high.

And there, in the very centre of it all, two huge Kobolds, standing a good two feet taller than all the others, looking more like Lizard People than their rattish-monkey-lizard brothers, where the Eggaurd.
The brusier brothers whose lot in life was to guard 'Big Kate' against all comers, come what may. Theirs was the best armour, weapons and tools. Theirs was the pick of the meatpit, the choice of bones.
Their bulk glitters in sputtering torchlight, their eyes wandering to and fro, a measured gaze.

And as you peak around the corner, axe and shield in hand, you watch as they reach into Big Kate and remove the egg of prophecy, holding it high as the shell crackles and breaks.

The chanting intensifies. All Hail Egg.

---

1: You enter Big Kates Core unbeknownst to the Kobolds, but they spot you within seconds. Battle commences, yet those crucial moments let you position your troops as you will within squares [A to H] and [12 to 13].
Place them as you see fit.

---

2: You are facing what appears to be 4x Kobold Spearbolds, 2x Kobolds wielding Crossbows, 2x Eggaurdians, 3x Torch-wielding Kobolds, 1x Caped and Ancient Kobold as well as 1x Egg (All Hail Egg.)
Although its debatable if Egg (All Hail Egg) would actually put up much of a challenge in a fight, having just been born.

What is your plan of battle, how do you wish to proceed?

---

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is Good, the mood is unnervedegg.
You are unhurt? You have eaten your share. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your shoulder smarts.] [You feel weird.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]You feel the weight of responsibility on your shoulders.
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [05 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Slightly Hurt, Well fed and rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [04 kills] [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, Well fed and rested. Fights with daggers. [06 kills]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, Well fed and rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [2 assists]
Abigail: Is Hurt. Well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 kills] [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.]
Ragnar: Is unhurt. Is somewhat fed and rested. Fights with Spear and Shield, but has three javelins as well. [00 kills] [00 assists]

---

[Bonus Tactical Information]
Kobolds are individually weak and seem to prefer weapons that give them range or reach to make up for this fact, as well as utilizing traps or ambushes.

You have [-03] crumbs remaining. You have [04] Ultra-bright torches remaining. You have a bag of strange dust. You have done your best to disarm the traps leading to the nesting hall.

Kvelars Hand-Crossbow has a range of 6 squares.
Ragnars Javelins has a range of 4 squares, but he only has [03] of them.
Khamis chain has a reach of 1 square.
Koboldian Crossbow range is 6 squares.
Koboldian Spears have a reach of 1 square.
All other weapons have a rage of 'meleé'

---

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: “The ones without weapons are probably the most dangerous, who knows what they might do?”
Tommy: “We should try to get to Egg before something bad happens.”
Kvelar: “Ach, keep together and prepare for da fight of yer life.”
Abigail: “Yeah!! Fight!! Let me at 'em!”
Khami: “For once I agree with Konnie. Danger lies foremost where you cannot see it.”
Ragnar: “You know if my old group had started by killing the leader, they probably wouldn't have all died. Then again cave-ins are the great equalizer, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered!”

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm not great with strategy, but I agree with Ragnar and Konnie. Kill the weaponless and Egg first.

As an aside, we are apparently still losing crumbs, we should stop that.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

hollylolly posted:

Kill the weaponless and Egg first.

Easier said than done - they have better range, after all - but you don't want to let something like that hatch.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Move Ragnar to 12, then move everyone up four (so Ragnar is A12, and at the opposite corner of the formation Konnie is at D13). Make a concentrated push along the top. That way we can take out the first torch kobold immediately, the crossbow kobolds as early as possible, and the barrel one after he's in range. And also avoid the ancient caped kobold for as many rounds as we can.

Edit: Also swap Abigail and Khami, so Abigail is B13 and Khami is C13. That way Khami can support us at the corner.

HBar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 28, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

----12---- 13--
A Cousin Chain
B Tommy Abigail
C Ragnar Daggers
D Ourselves

My reasoning is have the guys with shields on the first line. And also Tommy because he is the most able to one shot a kobold, but he is a big target, so he needs protection on both sides.

Keep the fragile characters on back up, ready to break through the line if needed.

The kobolds may try to surround us, we should try to advance slowly, but without stopping. Our cousin should try to nail kobolds with the crossbow as we advance.

I'm worried about the barrel on the corner, they are stupid enough to have gunpowder next to torches.

Caped kobold and the tall ones may be trouble, but hopefully we will have taken the 2 crossbows and a few others before engaging them, enabling us to use all of our members at full strength.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

----12---- 13--
A Cousin Chain
B Tommy Abigail
C Ragnar Daggers
D Ourselves

My reasoning is have the guys with shields on the first line. And also Tommy because he is the most able to one shot a kobold, but he is a big target, so he needs protection on both sides.

Keep the fragile characters on back up, ready to break through the line if needed.

The kobolds may try to surround us, we should try to advance slowly, but without stopping. Our cousin should try to nail kobolds with the crossbow as we advance.

I'm worried about the barrel on the corner, they are stupid enough to have gunpowder next to torches.

Caped kobold and the tall ones may be trouble, but hopefully we will have taken the 2 crossbows and a few others before engaging them, enabling us to use all of our members at full strength.

Yeah, this. With the addition that Kvelar should prioritize Crossbow wielding kobolds when shooting.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Prioritize the egg and the egguardians

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All fire a barrage at egg before charging for melee.

If the chance presents itself empty the bag of powder over a torch bearer.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We need to get in range before we can shoot the egg. From our starting point the bolts would clatter harmlessly to the ground in front of the mine cart.

If we kill egg, it'd probably just enrage the remaining kobolds instead of instigating an immediate succession crisis among them while they're still in the middle of a life-or-death fight. Capture is the better option if we get the chance and the strongest opponents are still in the fight, then we can bargain with them to pack up and leave peacefully in exchange for egg's life.

Adding to my vote:
Announce "Surrender and you can all leave the mine in peace. If you refuse to leave, egg dies."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If we kill egg they'll have no central leadership and nothing to die for. So it'll shatter their already lovely moral and give more of them a reason to peace out.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Grüwian Silvermines
“Core”
Round one, Fight!

The situation was even worse than you had suspected. Not only was their new leader in the process of being born, he was also surrounded by at least a dozen of his kind. Including two massive brutes that defied your hitherto decent definition of a Kobold.
Wary of traps and archers you had decided to advance slowly, shields in the front ready to deflect incoming attacks. You hope that this strategy will see you get into meleé range where you believe you have the clear advantage, although the numerous spears pointing your way
beg to differ.

The battle begins with ITEC methodically pacing up together and the spearbolds rushing to meet you with closed ranks. Before they can do so however, Ragnar throws one of his Javelins with full force at the one closest (c7); it misses and lands harmlessly at its side, undamaged.
It responds by yelling angrily at him, pushing the fallen javelin to the side with his spear.

Next to act is the lower Egggaurd (g3) ; he moves up to shield Egg with his body, at the same time giving the minecart in front of him a great heave, sending its torch and crossbow wielding occupant hurtling towards the assembled ITEC lines at great speed!

The cape-wearing Kobold (h4) steps closer to one it's larger cousin and holds there for now.

This is when things get a bit weird. A little green Kobold wearing rickety metal armour with crude symbols etched to the front raises a crossbow to aim, but does so at the ceiling instead of you.
The bolt flies straight and true (not that hitting the ceiling is very difficult) and strikes a very precarious stalagtite, breaking it off and sending it tumbling to the ground with a smash!!
Fortunately it misses you; landing instead right in front of the Spearbold that Ragnar had just recently tried to skewer with his Javelin.

Safe in the confines of his shell, Egg does not feel particularly inclined to move. Instead he yells something to the Barrel-lugging Kobold (b2), who starts running south, hiding behind Big Kate.
Equally, the torch-holding Kobold (b8) that also just avoided being smashed by a falling stalactite decides that running into your steadfast line is not for him and rushes away, ending up somewhere behind the approaching spearbolds just as the minecart races by.
Said minecart's occupant takes this opportunity to fire his crosbow at you, but inertia and terrible aiming means the bolt goes wide, missing your line entirely.

The last torch-runner (h4) begins dashing across the bottom of the cave, end goal unknown, whereas the upper Egggaurd(d3) takes a side-step to collect from the barrel-lugger, becoming the new owner of its mysterious content.
Finally, Kvelar fires, attempting to take down the cross-bold before his crazy antics create even more trouble for you. Alas, it falls short, being at the extreme-range of his crossbow.

1: You have not yet come into meleé, so you are still free to change orders or tactics as you will by barking commands to your team. In the heat of battle they are not guaranteed to be followed as everyone is fighting for their life, but the general gist will still be taken under consideration.
Is there anything you wish to change? Is there anything you wish to add?

A: Write-in.

Bonus Tactical Information:
Ragnars Javelins has a range of 4 squares, but he only has [02] of them. (one more can be salvaged)
One of the Kobolds is apparently firing at the ceiling, causing stalactites to shatter upon the floor creating barriers which will be difficult to cross in the middle of combat. Having one of them land on you would probably hurt a lot.

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is Good, the mood is unnervedegg.
You are unhurt? You have eaten your share. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your shoulder smarts.] [You feel weird.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]You feel the weight of responsibility on your shoulders.
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [05 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Slightly Hurt, Well fed and rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [04 kills] [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, Well fed and rested. Fights with daggers. [06 kills]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, Well fed and rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [2 assists]
Abigail: Is Hurt. Well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 kills] [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.]
Ragnar: Is unhurt. Is somewhat fed and rested. Fights with Spear and Shield, but has [02] javelins as well. [01] Javelins lay salvageable nearby. [00 kills.] [00 assists.]

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

So much for that I guess.

Have Kvelar and Khami rush through the top, trying to get closer to the kobolds on the top left corner, first step is to take the crossbow wielding one, maybe with a bolt from Kvelar's cbow. Kvelar will lead the charge, to block incoming fire with his shield.

Tommy and Abigail will try to take care of C6 and C7.

Ourselves and Ragnar will go "under" that crashed stalactite and deal with the ones there.

I assume the mine cart is still advancing, Daggers will rush to it to try and kill it, can't leave one alive behind our line.

I was worried the barrel may be dynamite, guess not if they are guarding it. And Egg can talk and give orders just after being born, impressive.

Check the roof for any other trap looking stuff. And watch out for pit traps. May be difficult in the heat of battle, but try to see if the kobolds avoid any "square"

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 31, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Grüwian Silvermines
“Core”
Round Two, React!

Greatly surprised at Eggs (All Hail Egg!) apparent verbalization, stalagtraps and barrel shenanigans, you try your best to update ITECs order accordingly.
Konnie is about to give you the universal look for 'how do you expect me to stop a speeding minecart with a dagger?' when Abigail takes matters into her own winged-hands, throwing her quarterstaff as well as her lithe, splinted-body can muster.
A feather is loosened in the violent assault, marring her otherwise rich coat with more signs of combat.

The quarterstaff spins through the air quiet improbably, landing perfectly on the tracks just before the minecart, breaking in half from the force of the impact but sending the cart widly careening off course, smashing into the southern cave wall with a cacophonous noise.
The former cart-riding Kobold manages to jump out just before the crash and rolls to safety, dropping his torch in the process but coming out relatively unhurt by the whole ordeal.
Still, the biggest threat he posed is averted and it will probably take him a bit to get his bearings back, giving you a much needed break from being shot at.

That business concluded, you and Ragnar head southwest to intercept the aligning spearbolds whilst Tommy, Khami and Kvelar advance forward.
Ragnar takes this opportunity to throw another one of his Javelins, this time aiming at the furthest spearbold (f6) and nailing it right in the eye. It collapses is agony. [-01 Javelins. +01 Kills]

The north-of-the-minecart-tracks spearbolds advance, trying to make up for the loss of one of their number by using the recently blocked terrain to their advantage.

Not one to be outdone, Konnie sneaks off from the main-group to deal with the dismounted crossbow Kobold before it regains its senses, trusting in you and Ragnar to keep him safe.

The lower Egggaurd (f3) begins walking purposefully towards the fallen Kobolds corpse, puts a large clawed foot on its chest and pulls the head of his former comrade, thus constructing a crude Kobold Skull Mace with the haft of the javelin still sticking out of the skull.
With his other hand, the Egggaurd picks up the leftover spear and goes into some sort of Koboldian Combat Stance. The south-of-the-tracks spearbold joins up with his larger cousin.

The southern torch-runner (h4) keeps on running, almost catching up to the Kobold that so recently tumbled out of his metal wagon. The caped-Kobold walks up to Egg (All Hail Egg!) and leans in closer, as if to listen to what he has to say.

The strange ceiling shooting Kobold continues his antics, gleefully unaware of anything else happening around it. Another Stalactite falls, crashing into the ground right in front of Tommy and complicating ITECs charge further.
A quick step back is all it takes to avoid the worst of the rock-shrapnel and Tommy is none the worse for wear.

Kvelar and Khami take the northernmost route to try to engage the spearbolds that rushed up to meet them, the newly uneven ground providing some cover from enemy flanking manoeuvres but at the same time disrupting your line.
Still, this works to the pairs advantage as Khami should be relatively safe doing what he does best behind the twin rocks of an actual rock and your dwarfish warrior cousin.

The torchrunner closest to you (d6) rushes forwards, its small paws clutching at the spent but salvageable javelin lying in between it and Ragnar. The former prisoner will have none of that, denying the Kobold its battlefield looting with the aid of the superior reach a spear, however crude, gives to someone of Ragnars stature. The Kobold yips in frustration, waving its torch angrily!

The upper Egggaurd (c1) takes the barrel over his shoulder and strides towards the forming spearline, yelling something you cannot overhear over the sound of crashing carts and falling rocks.

Tommy meanwhile picks up a sharp looking rock from the fresh pile in front of him and tries to homerun the rocksickle onto the incoming spearmen. It looks cool but does nothing.

Finally, Kvelar lets loose another bolt which flies past the spearbolds to hit the annoying collapse-causing Kobold square in the right elbow, causing it to drop its crossbow. It yelps in pain, hops around in place and draws another crossbow with its left arm.
How its going to reload that thing is anyone’s guess, but judging from the blood pouring out of the fresh wound it probably wont get to try.

---

1: Combat will continue shortly with the clashing of the lines in grand mêlée. The time for coherent orders has passed, now only your survival is on the line.
As it looks like now, you and Ragnar are facing a spearbold and one of the Egggaurdians equipped with a spear and mace as well as one or possibly two harassing torch-runners with a crossbold at your southeastern flank.
Fortunately Tommy is right behind you and Konnie is moving up to deal with that last threat. You've lost track of Abigail and she seems to have spent her only weapon in either case, but you can probably count on her to do something rash.
The important question is, how do you plan to fight in the coming battle?

A: Like Abigail!
Rash, taking every opportunity that presents itself no matter the long term consequences. Concentrate on killing the enemy before they kill you.

B: Like Kvelar!
Slow and steady wins the race. Block with your shield, chop with your axe. Prioritize your own and Ragnars safety at the expense of a much slower battle.

C: Like Ragnar!
You've never fought with him before but he is a professional. Just try to copy what he does and hope for the best!

D: Something else? Perhaps you do not wish to fight the spear-users, your eyes could be on another target? Perhaps you will try to push through to kill something else?
Write-in.

Bonus Tactical Information:
Ragnars Javelins has a range of 4 squares, but he only has [01] of them left.
(Although one more can still be salvaged)
One of the Kobolds is apparently firing at the ceiling, causing stalactites to shatter upon the floor creating barriers which will be difficult to cross in the middle of combat. Having one of them land on you would probably hurt a lot.
This threat is somewhat diminished by the loss of one of its arms however.
The ceiling is full of a myriad of stalactites, but you can see no other obvious traps.
One of the Egggaurdians is carrying a large barrel over its shoulder.
From casual observation, the Egggaurdians seem to be freakishly strong for their size.

You are unhurt? You have eaten your share. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your shoulder smarts.] [You feel weird.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.] [You feel the weight of responsibility on your shoulders.]
You have [-03] crumbs remaining.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We have to stop that barrel, it's probably filled with explosives or more thermite (I'm assuming that's what our red and gray dust is even though we haven't tested it and the party probably wouldn't have any in-character knowledge about it).

Do the torches look like regular torches, or ultra-bright ones?

e: Who has the best throwing arm, and how far could they throw a torch with accuracy?

HBar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 1, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Torch?

HBar posted:

Do the torches look like regular torches, or ultra-bright ones?

Now that you think about it, the room IS unusually bright for being merely a torch-lit cavern at the bottom of a silver mine, yet the torch-runners are not to blame. Their torches are the regular kind.
There must be ultra-bright torches lit somewhere else in the room, you realize, providing ample sight for all. That you hadn't noticed it earlier is partly due to the fact you have had some trouble seeing ever since you woke up and partly the looming battle taking your mind of off things.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

D: We need to stop the barrel and torch wielders, and if we can't stop them then we need to stay the hell away from the barrel.

If we were still giving coherent orders, I would say to immediately shoot the remaining torch bearers at range (javelin to D6, crossbow bolt to H7), Konnie stabs G10, and Abigail runs for the loose torch if she can take it safely. She just showed that she's good with throwing things.

edit:

There Bias Two posted:

D Have Ragnar throw our dust bag toward the torch wielders near the barrel and watch them go BOOM!
This too.

HBar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 2, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

B gonna go with slow and steady keeps us from vomiting up blue gunk

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D Have Ragnar throw our dust bag toward the torch wielders near the barrel and watch them go BOOM!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Perfect. Amending my D vote to include this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HBar posted:

Perfect. Amending my D vote to include this.

There is always the slight risk that it's enough powder to collapse the entire room...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

There Bias Two posted:

Shock and awe. They're going to set it off anyway so might as have it go in our favour.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B.

Glad to see my ppan worked 10% like i had expected. That's what you get for letting me decide tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

B.

Glad to see my ppan worked 10% like i had expected. That's what you get for letting me decide tactics.

This isn't a vote for my Michael Bay-inspired plan. I'm disappointed.