Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kavros posted:

Squadsight penalties are pretty extreme in this game. How do they work? I've had squadsight penalties as serious as 80%.

The further away the higher the penalty isn't it? So opposite of EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If I'm getting sick of the pod activation metagame and wanted to use that all pods active mod, will I be absolutely hosed on commander difficulty? If so, are there any mods that will balance things out or should I just go down to veteran?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The further away the higher the penalty isn't it? So opposite of EU.
Sort of. Sniper rifles also get a close-range penalty. So your ideal range is near the edge of their normal vision.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that is the one difficulty change I disagree with and would personally mod out if I could make heads or tails of script. Pretty much all the mods I roll with are cosmetic.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Pilchenstein posted:

If I'm getting sick of the pod activation metagame and wanted to use that all pods active mod, will I be absolutely hosed on commander difficulty? If so, are there any mods that will balance things out or should I just go down to veteran?

You will be absolutely cornholed beyond all recuperation. Future generations will find the ruin of your body and ask, "Was there an rear end here?" And their greatest sages will come together and consult and declare, "No, there was never an rear end here."

But you might have a lot of fun anyway. Consider modding down the price of replacement rookies down to barely anything, and likewise reducing the time required to train up a rookie to a squaddie in the GCS to barely anything. You're going to have a lot of dead bodies and a lot of failed missions, probably.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pilchenstein posted:

Concealment will be your only ally in this situation, as activated pods will do poo poo like rush you all at once or overwatch right outside your visual range if they know where you are and they will know where you start at least.

Take Rangers, all the Rangers.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kavros posted:

Squadsight penalties are pretty extreme in this game. How do they work? I've had squadsight penalties as serious as 80%.

High ground is a requirement for usable squadsight sniping in this one, unlike the first game where it just was a crazier bonus on an already crazy bonus. So if you run with snipers scout the area right away to pick a good spot to plant them. Also want to keep them a reasonable range near your other guys, no more archangel snipers in the back corner anymore, you have to stay near(ish). I try to leave mine within a screen or just past my frontline, out of enemy sight and just into squadsight range. Combined with high ground bonus they are reliable hitters at that range.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kwyndig posted:

Concealment will be your only ally in this situation, as activated pods will do poo poo like rush you all at once or overwatch right outside your visual range if they know where you are and they will know where you start at least.

Take Rangers, all the Rangers.

All grenadiers, all in exo suits. Scorch the earth.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I've never had a pistol sharpshooter do well. His "shoot all guys in range" is just a worse grenade for the most part, his "shoot pistol 3 times" will do less damage than rapid fire + shotgun usually, and return fire means you're getting shot which is bad. I guess quick draw is nice if you need to finish an alien off then unload in to another one, but the 4-5 base damage of a beam pistol is just wretched. Even with Bluescreen rounds at +5 you're almost better off with Rapid Fire, and you can do that every turn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reik posted:

I've never had a pistol sharpshooter do well. His "shoot all guys in range" is just a worse grenade for the most part, his "shoot pistol 3 times" will do less damage than rapid fire + shotgun usually, and return fire means you're getting shot which is bad. I guess quick draw is nice if you need to finish an alien off then unload in to another one, but the 4-5 base damage of a beam pistol is just wretched. Even with Bluescreen rounds at +5 you're almost better off with Rapid Fire, and you can do that every turn.

I don't think my gunslingers have ever not been the guys with the most kills, even considering the grenadiers. The snipers are always middling at best though.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
a pure gunslinger would be trash, I think. You want a rifle focused sharpshooter but you pick out the really cool pistol abilities and you end up with a best of both worlds type.

You end up with a unit who can camp and killzone easily but who can also unload five pistol shots into anything that comes too close and who always has free pistol shots ready.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kavros posted:

a pure gunslinger would be trash, I think. You want a rifle focused sharpshooter but you pick out the really cool pistol abilities and you end up with a best of both worlds type.

You don't really need to spec into the sniper rifle on a gunslinger, they use them fine without anything in particular. Unless you're really aching for kill zone, but Faceoff is where a huge amount of a gunslinger's damage comes from (remember, Fanfire doesn't end your turn if used first when combined with Quickdraw). Steady hands is better than Aim though.

Also remember, for whatever reason, Fanfire's first shot benefits from Stocks on sniper rifles and probably other items too. Basically a grenadier blows apart cover and armor, the gunslinger wraps it all up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I put poison bullets and an Aim PCS on a sharpshooter with dead zone and she shot 3 archons and 2 advent guys in one turn and everyone was poisoned and sick and half-dead and they didn't even know where anyone was since I was spotting with a phantom ranger.

I dunno much about this game but if gunslingers can compete with that someone tell me how.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mzbundifund posted:

I put poison bullets and an Aim PCS on a sharpshooter with dead zone and she shot 3 archons and 2 advent guys in one turn and everyone was poisoned and sick and half-dead and they didn't even know where anyone was since I was spotting with a phantom ranger.

I dunno much about this game but if gunslingers can compete with that someone tell me how.

I've never gotten killzone to fire on more than three targets, even with extended mags. Usually it just doesn't fire, for the sharpshooter or the AWC grenadier. :shrug:

I've never gotten poison bullets though that sounds sick.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My Snake Plisken gunslinger was bad rear end, fan fire and face off are both super handy.

I'll be very disappointed when Vahlen shows up and doesnt look like some mix of grizzled cyborg from Metal Gear revengeance and an infested terran from Starcraft/Wh40k, with cyborg laser eye replacement, extra pair of arms from meld enhancement, still with the labcoat though.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

RBA Starblade posted:

All grenadiers, all in exo suits. Scorch the earth.

This was my c/i run. Worked well. Added some psi dudes for the last mission cause andromedons and gatekeepers tank so hard.

I'll probably end up doing the same for l/i, having enough grenades to remove all cover is winner.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Reik posted:

I agree that the 'trigger overwatch with squadsight' ability is better than Return Fire (mostly because Return Fire will happily trigger on your own dudes if you get panicked/mind controlled - same reason I usually skip Bladestorm) but the other pistol abilities are pretty awesome.

You never have to reload pistols, and with all the multi-shot abilities you can get they synergize really well with special ammo. A Sharpshooter with Bluescreen Ammo doing a Fan Fire at a Sectoid is an instant 15 points of damage in addition to whatever damage those 3 shots would normally do. And Face Off is basically Serial/Kill Zone but you can do it after moving. And hell, Lightning Fingers or whatever it's called is a no-action free attack - who cares if it's a pistol shot, it's loving free, how is that not useful always?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never gotten killzone to fire on more than three targets, even with extended mags. Usually it just doesn't fire, for the sharpshooter or the AWC grenadier. :shrug:

I've never gotten poison bullets though that sounds sick.

Got a pentakill once on a fresh squad. Kill Zone is one of the primary reasons why sharpshooters are so powerful on non-timed missions, since you can wait out turns between pods and have one use of killzone per pod, on a fresh magazine. It used to be even more powerful, especially when paired with conceal scouting, but its interaction with pod popping has been toned back or removed.

The only other class that is able to scale up their power so hard by refreshing all their cooldowns at leisure before advancing is psi ops, who also don't have to worry about risky inflexibility on timed missions/hot drops

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Pimpmust posted:

I'll be very disappointed when Vahlen shows up and doesnt look like some mix of grizzled cyborg from Metal Gear revengeance and an infested terran from Starcraft/Wh40k, with cyborg laser eye replacement, extra pair of arms from meld enhancement, still with the labcoat though.
Why would she be a cyborg? Shen was the cyberpunk engineer, Vahlen was a slightly less terrifying version of Christopher Lee's character from Gremlins 2. By the time of XCOM 2, she's probably got less human DNA in her than Swoletoids do.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Pipski posted:

Problem: A while back I installed a mod that just made every hack attempt guaranteed to succeed. I've uninstalled it now, but for some reason my hack chance is still set to 100%. I need to fail a few hacks in order to test something. Is there any easy way to undo whatever's been done without reinstalling? I can't spot anything obvious in the ini files, though I'm still hunting.

Moola posted:

It seems like if you mod anything that references the default ini files, then you pretty much are permanently modding those files, rather than creating copies that reference them. Which is like, not how any other game I've seen treats ini mods.

I'm pretty sure deleting the files that were modified (so probably GameDataCore?) should force the game to rebuild a fresh one on launch.

The .ini files that is modified by mods, located at Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config (that should be named stuff like XComMissions.ini, XComGameCore.ini, etc) can be freely deleted to force the game to update them, since it doesn't seem to automatically do so when a mod is uninstalled or otherwise unavailable. I have to do this whenever I switch from playing the game to using the SDK for example since the .ini files can still be referencing about 220+ mods that the SDK can't detect.

The default .ini files located where the game itself is installed (and is named more like DefaultMissions.ini, DefaultGameCore.ini, etc) shouldn't be touched since that's what the game calls upon for base game values before adding modifications to it, and thus will cause issues if it tries looking for say, DefaultMissions.ini or DefaultGameData.ini and finds nothing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DefaultEngine.ini is where you comment out the startup videos, though. Definitely do that (after making a backup)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

WarLocke posted:

I agree that the 'trigger overwatch with squadsight' ability is better than Return Fire (mostly because Return Fire will happily trigger on your own dudes if you get panicked/mind controlled - same reason I usually skip Bladestorm) but the other pistol abilities are pretty awesome.

You never have to reload pistols, and with all the multi-shot abilities you can get they synergize really well with special ammo. A Sharpshooter with Bluescreen Ammo doing a Fan Fire at a Sectoid is an instant 15 points of damage in addition to whatever damage those 3 shots would normally do. And Face Off is basically Serial/Kill Zone but you can do it after moving. And hell, Lightning Fingers or whatever it's called is a no-action free attack - who cares if it's a pistol shot, it's loving free, how is that not useful always?

I just think when you compare a Sharpshooter to a Grenadier or Ranger not only does their damage fall behind but so does their utility. A lot of it probably has to do with overpowered grenades. The radius on a Volatile Mix+Advanced Grenade Launcher Gas Bomb is insane.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Reik posted:

I just think when you compare a Sharpshooter to a Grenadier or Ranger not only does their damage fall behind but so does their utility. A lot of it probably has to do with overpowered grenades. The radius on a Volatile Mix+Advanced Grenade Launcher Gas Bomb is insane.

I do kind of feel this a little too, but in my experience it's usually because I'm trying to use Sharpshooters like I used to use Snipers - find a high perch with good LOS and just camp there all mission, popping heads. Used that way, Sharpshooters can pull off impressive shots and the occasional Serial, but there aren't a lot of missions where you can just camp like that, if only because of timers and evac spots.

Meanwhile a Sharpshooter mostly specced for pistols can move with the squad, provide close support fire and still snipe decently when the opportunity comes up. The only thing you really give up is Serial but you gain a lot of options and utility with the pistol-specific abilities.

Basically IMO Sharpshooters aren't Snipers and shouldn't be used the same way.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Serial isn't even that big a deal anyway because of its high rate of flop. It would be cool, but it's not Fan Fire.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Had a great :xcom: moment earlier. Doing the first Retalion mission, a Sectoid causes panic in one of my rangers. She proceeds to take cover on a car close to a civilian and then promptly throws a grenade on the guy, killing herself.

I didn't even know panicked soldiers could throw grenades!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

WarLocke posted:

DefaultEngine.ini is where you comment out the startup videos, though. Definitely do that (after making a backup)
You can just put "-nostartupmovies" (without the quotes) as a launch option to skip them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ADVENT troopers seem to really like taking cover behind cars right before their Mr. Fusions go off in my games. :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sombrerotron posted:

Why would she be a cyborg? Shen was the cyberpunk engineer, Vahlen was a slightly less terrifying version of Christopher Lee's character from Gremlins 2. By the time of XCOM 2, she's probably got less human DNA in her than Swoletoids do.

Please she is clearly a believer in the doctrine of the homo superior. She would rock out hard as a gender bent Paxton Fettel, biting the ADVENT trooper program to psionically control her own army. The faceless troopers rush up a crowded street, breach and clearing the buildings, as she stomps inexorably down the center of the road, emitting a low laugh and a constant message over her psi amp:

"You deserve to die.

You ALL deserve to die."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Now I am imagining Vahlen with a Swoltoid morph :stare:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

For some reason she's german I imagine she would go for the mecha-Vahlen treatment just in case it got some advantages.

Vahlenpod stomp stomp crush puny enemies of vahlenkind

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Hair posted:

It's like Seaman all over again, except with Bradford rather than George Takai.
Leonard Nimoy. :colbert:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

ZearothK posted:

Had a great :xcom: moment earlier. Doing the first Retalion mission, a Sectoid causes panic in one of my rangers. She proceeds to take cover on a car close to a civilian and then promptly throws a grenade on the guy, killing herself.

I didn't even know panicked soldiers could throw grenades!

i didn't either until one of mine panicked, ran 10 feet, and tossed a grenade at 2 friendly soldiers behind cover and promptly badly wounded them and destroyed their cover which made the mission flunk.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Someone needs to make some Fast & Furious voice packs.

I'm already planning my Dominic Toretto entry in the character pool.

2 X 2 COM :iiaca:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

NAT-T Ice posted:

You can evac on Gatecrasher?

You can now, screenshots don't really show what it's about so here's a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-X4yXlU3co

https://github.com/MalucoMarinero/XCOM2GuerillaWarfare/issues

Here's the elevator pitch as I posted it on the video:

I'm working on a mod. I don't exactly where the endpoint is, but I know where I'm headed. I feel for a game about Guerilla Warfare there's not nearly enough missions focussing on getting in and out while achieving an objective. The fact that you can 'win' most maps sort of sucks the air out of that thematically.

This mod seeks to change that, this is a preview of what I'm developing. The core premise I'm working from is to avoid changing core systems of combat, and instead rework the way we do missions, so the following changes are currently in:

- Upon breaking concealment, reinforcements will be spawned within a few turns, and ramp up to eventually reach two reinforcements per turn.

- Mission Sites can not be 'won' with a clean sweep of enemies, you will be forced to evacuate. Evacuation is of course not a failure condition. (I will probably keep supply raids as they are, although with more pressure to storm the convoy (distress beacons probably))

- Because mission sites can't be won for the most part, corpse recovery is now different. To that end, corpses can now be carried, and you must evac with them to recover the body.

- Evac has been balanced with a delay (currently 2 turns), so you drop a flare like reinforcements and then the evac zone will spawn after that delay. This means you will need to be less reactive with evacuating. I may possibly further nerf this with a 'window' as well, so the Evac Zone itself can also only stay active for two turns, meaning you can't just prep an evac zone close to the objective and then sit on it.

Other than that, the game has not been changed. Let me know what you think, I'll hope to get a version up in the Workshop soon enough but I'll probably try to get through some more of the maps first, now that I've done the harder stuff.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well... re-installing again. My game crashes whenever I press "Begin Mission", even after I uninstalled all the mods I had. The my2k forums are absolutely no help whatsoever, so if this doesn't work I think I'll see if I can get a refund on steam.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

(I will probably keep supply raids as they are, although with more pressure to storm the convoy (distress beacons probably))

Random thought: Maybe instead of 'winning' raid maps, you could set it up so soldiers can 'loot' the supply crates? Maybe treat it like they're carrying a corpse (not sure what you'd do for an animation though) so you can choose between evaccing with one guy holding loot and 3+ covering him, or if you got balls 3 guys with loot is 3x the supplies - if you can get them to the evac point while slowed and unable to shoot back.

I'm kind of looking at this like a modified VIP rescue - get to supplies, get out, probably with heavier reinforcements than normal since the objective is simple and out in the open. A literal running raid, get in, grab what you can and book the gently caress out.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WarLocke posted:

Random thought: Maybe instead of 'winning' raid maps, you could set it up so soldiers can 'loot' the supply crates? Maybe treat it like they're carrying a corpse (not sure what you'd do for an animation though) so you can choose between evaccing with one guy holding loot and 3+ covering him, or if you got balls 3 guys with loot is 3x the supplies - if you can get them to the evac point while slowed and unable to shoot back.

I'm kind of looking at this like a modified VIP rescue - get to supplies, get out, probably with heavier reinforcements than normal since the objective is simple and out in the open. A literal running raid, get in, grab what you can and book the gently caress out.

Yeah that'd be pretty cool. I mean, I've already got the ideas for Fulton Harness swimming around, and the stuff you collect from Supply Raids is actually there on the map, so maybe we play it like that. I think it'd be a much cooler solution than treating it like the one case where you can control the area. I mean thematically you could sell it as being remote enough, but I much better like the idea that you have to strike while the iron is hot and get what you can.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Also, that Gatecrasher video was dope, I am hype for this mod. :f5:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Pilchenstein posted:

I actually just finished a Bronzeman Commander run with all-pods-active and it mostly wasn't as bad as all that - it can be balanced out with other mods I'd say (I used Extra Squad Size Upgrades so it went from 4-8 over the course of the game, but really, season to taste.) Usually the other pods start far enough away that you have time to kill the first one or two you meet before the rest find you. I was worried it would break the scripted missions (especially the final one) but mostly it just made them a bit less controllable - sometimes that Sectopod/Gatekeeper will have THE WORST GODDAMN TIMING but all in all it was a fun challenge.

Side note (lategame spoiler): If you're going for the Overpowered achievement, the Advent Network Tower mission where you can only take three people does count for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

(I used Extra Squad Size Upgrades so it went from 4-8 over the course of the game, but really, season to taste.)

Does that one play well with the Avenger transition screens? I saw someone mention the 7th and 8th soldier showing up in T poses somewhere, may have been a different squad size mod though.