Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
actually there are 3d model infantry mans and graphics in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

StashAugustine posted:

-NATO symbology is easier to read at a glance
-It's reasonable to not want to learn how to read NATO symbology

Can we stop arguing over something that doesn't loving matter because both sides of the debate have what they want?

Knowing that someone is enjoying the game differently than the way I enjoy it (which is obviously the right and only way) enrages me greatly. The heretics must be stopped from spreading their heresy.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

They're there, China just united because of the war

Oh thank goodness, this is my secret sperg. Can anyone at Paradox confirm whether Li Zongren is in the game? I bought his memoirs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

We know that the top one is a horse, but with a little squinting it also looks like an SMG or a rifle perhaps. In fact, when I first saw the post I actually took a head-take as to why a SMG unit had a cavalry counter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

StashAugustine posted:

-NATO symbology is easier to read at a glance
-It's reasonable to not want to learn how to read NATO symbology

Can we stop arguing over something that doesn't loving matter because both sides of the debate have what they want?

No.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zotix posted:

Haven't played Eu4 since CoP. Going to reinstall tonight. Which expansions should I get and any recommendations on a starting country?

Common Sense, Art of War, maybe Cossacks but probably not for your first game. Wait until April 5th though, the next expansion is coming out then so the whole DLC catalogue will probably be on sale, at which point it's pretty much all worth picking up.

They have a few highlighted countries as recommended starts when you load in, if you've played before even if it hasn't been a while any of those will probably be fine. If you literally remember nothing though, then Portugal. Ally Spain, get exploration ideas and just forget about Europe while you go colonial.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GaussianCopula posted:

But it's not the default option. There should at least be a popup asking whether the player is a filthy casual who is intellectually unable to use abstract symbols every time the game starts until the player activates NATO symbols.

this man gets it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:five:

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
They will fixed the party mandated sprites uniforms with period correct ones at $2.99 a pop. Free if you preorder I'm sure.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

:yeah:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I don't get it

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Fintilgin posted:

It upsets me far than NATO counters that all these Paradox games have a special mode that lets them rotate the map and change the angle for cool cinimatic shots, and then they never put them in the public release. :mad:

well you can increase the zoom distance in V2 to get crazy angles.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still hoping that Paradox gets a deal with Harry Turtledove, so I can play all those books I read when I was a teen:

My parents bought me this book for a plane trip when it first came out, all I can remember are the gratuitous sex scenes between a yankee and some docile chinese peasant on an alien spaceship or something. Needless to say, as a 13 year old boy I was hooked immediately.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Is Turtledove actually any good? The only thing I've read from him is the short-story The Road Not Taken (which, if you haven't read it, is alternate history where FTL travel is super easy and the galaxy is controlled by Age of Sail level civilizations, that is, until one of them decide to invade modern-day Earth (because we just somehow never figured it out)).

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

Is Turtledove actually any good? The only thing I've read from him is the short-story The Road Not Taken (which, if you haven't read it, is alternate history where FTL travel is super easy and the galaxy is controlled by Age of Sail level civilizations, that is, until one of them decide to invade modern-day Earth (because we just somehow never figured it out)).

I wouldn't call him a "good" author, per-say, but I think he is certainly acceptable in an airport trashy novelist kind of way. Turtledove is prolific enough that he has basically covered most of the alt. history tropes by now, so if anything strikes your interest in particular there is a good chance he has written 300 pages about it at some point. For instance, in one of his books he writes about the success of the Spanish Armada and how William Shakespeare joins the english underground and starts writing provocatory plays that get everyone all riled up. It isn't something you'd talk about at your weekly literary salon, but if you're commuting you could probably be doing worse!

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Hes a niche author in Alt-history circles.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm very fond of his stories sent in fantasy byzantium - the period is his focus & his passion, and it really shows.

He wrote a lot of schlock, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Turtledove's alright when he's forced to actually make up alternate history, and at his worst when he's just describing actual history with the names or countries changed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think Worldwar and the fantasy Byzantium novels are worth reading. Many of his other novels - the "what if the Confederacy won" series especially - are interesting on the surface but end up being sort of copy-pastes of the original timeline with names and dates and locations swapped around. The coolest thing from that series is that Lincoln is a one-term president, isn't assassinated, and has a post-presidency where he becomes Eugene Debs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jazerus posted:

I think Worldwar and the fantasy Byzantium novels are worth reading. Many of his other novels - the "what if the Confederacy won" series especially - are interesting on the surface but end up being sort of copy-pastes of the original timeline with names and dates and locations swapped around. The coolest thing from that series is that Lincoln is a one-term president, isn't assassinated, and has a post-presidency where he becomes Eugene Debs.

I need random poo poo to read on the bus again. What are the fantasy Byzantium novels called?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
World War / In the Balance et all make decent audio books, at least the ones I got around to listening to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Prism posted:

I need random poo poo to read on the bus again. What are the fantasy Byzantium novels called?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videssos

I liked the Krispos books the best. IIRC those are specifically based on Basil I.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Honestly, I'd almost be in favor of removing NATO counters from HOI4 just to spite the people who are physically incapable of shutting up about them.

Please make this an option, I want to play with little army men, and zooming out showing counters ruins my immersion.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

During World War Wednesdays, Johan made his basic infantry a rook, but they still showed up as the default army helmet on Daniel's view, so it seems like you'll be able to set up various elite units that you'll easily recognize on the map for your own side but it will be harder to keep track of enemy elite units. There were something like 30 symbols that aren't in use by default to designate special units. So at least you'll never get the situation someone worried about of sending a light tank unit in when you wanted to send a heavy tank unit.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Yeah I forgot about that, I think a dev diary or maybe it was in one of the WWW videos they stated there are bunch of icons to choose from.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused with the icons. Each nation only has something like six different division types at game start so there won't be that much to keep track of.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gort posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about getting confused with the icons. Each nation only has something like six different division types at game start so there won't be that much to keep track of.

At 33:20 you can see there is a duplicate function for division templates, you can have as many division types as you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPP1eiy0AQ&t=1950s

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's pretty lowbrow airport guilty-pleasure trash fiction, but I quite like them. I started with In The Presence Of Mine Enemies which is actually pretty good, but I felt like he had a hard time properly conveying the caution that a Jew hiding in Nazi society would need to feel, instead relying on constantly reminding the reader when "oh no, that barber cut my hair the wrong way! Do you think he knows I'm a Jew?" or "poo poo, the waitress brought my soup out cold, could it be because I'm Jewish?" Overall an enjoyable read though.

I didn't read the whole Southern Victory series (the huge series of books that details the timeline from mid-19th to mid-20th centuries if the South won the Civil War), but I did read the American Empire sub-series (the interwar years) and quite liked them. There is a WHOLE lot of "it rhymes" happening though, where he straight-up copies character concepts from real life and applies them to his own world. One of the biggest offenders: the US has an Irwin Rommel analogue named... Irving Morrel. I do really, really like some of his writing styles and think they make for excellent worldbuilding (the American Empire sub-series has sortof a "cast of thousands" feel, with like 20 main narrators that bounce back and forth around American/Canadian society, and he shows you a lot of how this alternate world looks through their eyes).

But I really enjoyed those books too, you just have to be aware that they're trash and sorta revel in it. There's a reason why Turtledove gets nods all over alt-history though, because he's probably the most well-known and prolific writer. I dunno if it was Ofaloaf or not, but I sorta smiled when I discovered a Turtledove easter egg in the After The End mod for CK2 (Cincinnatus Driver is the ruler of the county of Covington, Kentucky)

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012
I have had no opinion about NATO counters before, but the last few pages have convinced me that they should be removed IMO

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still hoping that Paradox gets a deal with Harry Turtledove, so I can play all those books I read when I was a teen:

I actually read some of this poo poo when I was younger, because I grew up in rural Texas and we didn't get the internet until 2005ish. I still remember the one where the white supremacists go back in time to rape slaves and give the CSA assault rifles, but it's ok because Robert E. Lee becomes President and , contrary to everything he said and did in real life, was secretly anti-slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South

:shudder:

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Wiz posted:

Honestly, I'd almost be in favor of removing NATO counters from HOI4 just to spite the people who are physically incapable of shutting up about them.

I still think it should have been an optional 39.99$ dlc, so it would be priced like a 'true' wargame.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

pdxjohan posted:

I still think it should have been an optional 39.99$ dlc, so it would be priced like a 'true' wargame.

You would've made millions.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pdxjohan posted:

$79.99 or it's not real grog poo poo :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You need to pass an exam and pay $99.99 before you're allowed to use NATO counters.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Make NATO counters unlock after 10 full games with regular counters.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This is a worse semi-ironic derail than the whole bonuses/bonii poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Star posted:

This is a worse semi-ironic derail than the whole bonuses/bonii poo poo.

Thanks to Stellaris we have the fun of arguing over the correct plural to use for ethos :v:

(I think it's ethea?)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ethi, or depending on how the Greek is latinised, ethe. But you should be saying ethii or ethea like you did because it's wrong and it gets people mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pdxjohan posted:

But then you'd have to make HoI4 into a true wargame instead of the Call of Duty Expandalone you've got.