Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Average Bear posted:

Brandenburg.

Actually usually a pretty fun start in spite of being OP as balls later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah post league war you run everything.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quill 18 on youtube is doing a decent (if long-winded) tutorial series in Castille, might be worth following along for new players.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Same with byz. Once you absorb the ottomans there is nothing that can stop you. But it's a very fun game.

I'm having fun with theodoro. Hard as balls to start but a good time.

Lithuania seems like a great PU monster. Get Poland, Bohemia, and Hungary potentially by some good RMs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Go Admin ideas first Muscovy

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I wanna play Muscovy but I get turned off starting big.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

edit: nvm

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 29, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

I wanna play Muscovy but I get turned off starting big.
I dont care about starting big because I am bad at this game but extending from Sweden to Korea without a navy is painful, especially when you go that way quick by taking Exploration and have stare managing that frontier for almost 300 years in face.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doing a game as Aragon and became king of Gondar. :v:

This screenshot is a few days old, what in the world happened here? Portugal did own Morocco at the time and those rebels kept on walking around the Mediterranean but... how the hell did they get there in the first place?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Poil posted:

This screenshot is a few days old, what in the world happened here? Portugal did own Morocco at the time and those rebels kept on walking around the Mediterranean but... how the hell did they get there in the first place?

Rebels will teleport all over the place if they can't path to a goal province

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Is their general name Marlon Brando?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Poil posted:

Possibly a Morroccan army that went rebel after full annexation

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Ottomans should not be allowed to ally both France and Lithuania when all three are blobbing. Naturally all three hates me a lot but fortunately I only border two of them.

sloshmonger posted:

Possibly a Morroccan army that went rebel after full annexation
That would be the most likely reason as they keep fighting a lot of wars against each other. Portugal effortlessly stomps all over Morocco and then rebels eventually set them free or undoes some of it and it starts over again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Getting back into Paradox games after getting distracted by other shiny things. Are the last two DLCs any good?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Most people like them, despite the Steam reviews. Good features. But maybe wait, a new DLC is coming soon and that usually means all the others will be heavily discounted

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the heads up. I usually try to stay 1 DLC behind exactly for that reason.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Do the AI only suffer massively reduced land attrition or something? I'm playing russia and I'm losing more men per month to attrition in my own land, than a bigger enemy stack sieging a fort during a severe winter. I have defensive ideas too!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there an intelligible combat guide someone can link? The wiki is way outdated.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Do the AI only suffer massively reduced land attrition or something? I'm playing russia and I'm losing more men per month to attrition in my own land, than a bigger enemy stack sieging a fort during a severe winter. I have defensive ideas too!

It's not supposed to, it beyond having access to the same attrition reduction bonuses as anyone else.

There was a bug (circa Sep 2015) where AI army attrition disregarded the armies of other AIs in the province. So say province P has a supply limit of 20. Country A has an army of weight 25 in P. Country B has an army weight of 15. A's armies would take attrition like there were only 25 units in the province, B's would suffer none at all. This has been acknowledged to have been a bug several times now over the years (it usually gets fixed, only to crop up again later), and is presumably fixed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Getting back into Paradox games after getting distracted by other shiny things. Are the last two DLCs any good?

Everything in El Dorado was great, I don't think that I have any complaints about that expansion and I'd definitely recommend getting it.

Some people disliked the new estates system in Cossacks but everything else about that expansion was really solid, so whether or not you get it might depend on whether or not you mind dealing with estates. It's a risk/reward mechanic where you can either spend a tiny bit of effort keeping them minimally happy for minor benefits or a bit more effort extracting some really nice benefits at the risk of a disaster if you let a faction become too powerful. Some people just want to play the map-painting game without dealing with country management, if you're in that camp then Cossacks might not be for you.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Coming back to EU4 after a long while away, due to Stellaris hype bringing me back to Paradox games. Playing as Castile, got Iberian Wedding and then a terrible string of events. End result was drop to zero stability (from 3), Prestige from 20+ to -9, Legitimacy drop to 30. It has left me with Personal Union over Aragon and Naples, royal marriages to Portugal, Brittany and Savoy. I picked up Brittany and Savoy to try to help with Legitimacy recovery, but that was probably a terrible mistake. Advice for recovering legitimacy? I would love to form Spain at some point.

Also looking for an opportunity to start breaking up Portugal, but their alliance with England has proved to effectively blocked me. England lacks a minor (other than a Personal Union over Scotland) for me to try to get a truce with them.

Playing with all DLC except The Cossacks for whatever difference that makes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
AFAIK, recovering abysmal legitimacy is mostly a function of getting lucky with events or trying to get your monarch killed by making them a general and parking them on an army (assuming your heir has a decently strong claim).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Redchaostry posted:

Coming back to EU4 after a long while away, due to Stellaris hype bringing me back to Paradox games. Playing as Castile, got Iberian Wedding and then a terrible string of events. End result was drop to zero stability (from 3), Prestige from 20+ to -9, Legitimacy drop to 30. It has left me with Personal Union over Aragon and Naples, royal marriages to Portugal, Brittany and Savoy. I picked up Brittany and Savoy to try to help with Legitimacy recovery, but that was probably a terrible mistake. Advice for recovering legitimacy? I would love to form Spain at some point.

Also looking for an opportunity to start breaking up Portugal, but their alliance with England has proved to effectively blocked me. England lacks a minor (other than a Personal Union over Scotland) for me to try to get a truce with them.

Playing with all DLC except The Cossacks for whatever difference that makes.

Patience I guess

Legitimacy grows with time and maintaining a bunch of royal marriages is really all that you need to do. You can boost your prestige with missions and some successful wars (like a war against Morocco or Granada, which should be relatively easy)

England might not have an alliance with any small nations right now, but they will eventually. Or get a big ally of your own and then declare against Portugal anyway

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Legitimacy also resets when your king dies, so low/0 legitimacy is pretty easy to ride out. Just make sure your relations with Naples and Aragon stay okay so you don't lose the unions on monarch death and you'll be okay.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, recovering legitimacy is mostly a function of time. Forming RMs does boost the recovery rate, but it also has an upfront cost, I haven't done the math on how long your ruler needs to live for it to pay off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most royal marriages will cost you 5 legitimacy and give a whopping +0.1 yearly in return, so 50 years before you break even. Royal marriages are a terrible idea for recovering legitimacy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I conquered Japan for the achievement, now what should I do with it? I've got about a third of my force limit stationed there to prevent independence revolts and that's hurting my ability to throw my weight around in Europe. Trade company? Vassal? Just let it free?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I conquered Japan for the achievement, now what should I do with it? I've got about a third of my force limit stationed there to prevent independence revolts and that's hurting my ability to throw my weight around in Europe. Trade company? Vassal? Just let it free?

It would be cool if you could decide to put a colonial nation in the old world for this sort of thing, like the British East India Company. In your situation I guess the revolts are a pain so you might be best off releasing it as a vassal. Don't know how much it'll do for you all the way over there though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Most royal marriages will cost you 5 legitimacy and give a whopping +0.1 yearly in return, so 50 years before you break even. Royal marriages are a terrible idea for recovering legitimacy.

It's one of those EU3 holdovers that don't make sense in modern EU4.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It would be cool if you could decide to put a colonial nation in the old world for this sort of thing, like the British East India Company. In your situation I guess the revolts are a pain so you might be best off releasing it as a vassal. Don't know how much it'll do for you all the way over there though.

Yeah, no colonial nations in Asia is kind of annoying. Especially since the Phillippines is the best example of that kind of administration during this period.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

A couple of questions:

- What do I need to join the HRE exactly? I'm playing as Spain, and I'd rather not carve a bloody path through France just for the achievement.
- I have a few colonies that aren't part of any Colonial Nation, even though they are in the appropriate region and I've created the nation. Can I transfer the provinces back to them? How?
- When I make a Colonial Nation attack some natives, can I target provinces outside the region?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

A couple of questions:

- What do I need to join the HRE exactly? I'm playing as Spain, and I'd rather not carve a bloody path through France just for the achievement.
- I have a few colonies that aren't part of any Colonial Nation, even though they are in the appropriate region and I've created the nation. Can I transfer the provinces back to them? How?
- When I make a Colonial Nation attack some natives, can I target provinces outside the region?

I assume you're going for the Spain HRE achievement? IIRC you just have to have 4 electors as vassals, and you'll need to improve relations with them pretty significantly.

The reason to carve a path through France is because not being a HRE member carries a pretty big election penalty, and also gently caress France. You become a member state by adding your capital to the HRE, thus the bloody path. If you don't want to carve a path through France, I think you could move your capital to someplace like Italy and carve a bloody path north.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

A couple of questions:

There should be a "grant province" option in your vassal management. It has to be adjacent to them or in the same seazone I think.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the help.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

This is why you should always let the other nation offer the RM if your ruler is high legitimacy/a regency council and you have a medium or weak heir. Royal marriages break when the ruler that proposed them dies, so upon succession your marriages won't break and you will get the benefit without the upfront cost.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
If you have 50 papal influence, you can take the "Grant indulgence for sins" action. You get a +1 yearly legitimacy boost for 20 years. Not huge, but a lot better than royal marriages. It's a good stopgap measure until your ruler dies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Still trying for the "Spain is the Emperor" achievement. I've fired up a couple of games and cheated my way through the first two decades to find the following:

- Castille is too big to join the HRE. Gaining 2-3 French provinces to gain a HRE neighbour and then dropping Leon and Galicia is not enough.
- I can make 1 elector vote for me before joining the HRE by throwing everything I have at them: Alliance, Royal Marriage, Improving Relations and Bribes. This puts me over the relation cap if I want several electors to vote for me, so it's not very sustainable.
- I can't vassalize an Elector peacefully , even OPM with 200 relation.
- Gaining a vassal Elector through war is basically impossible in an outright Castille-HRE war, and even if I could after blobbing, they are understandably pissed off and won't vote for me. 3-4 wars against the HRE for a +50 relations bonus isn't worth the AE penalty and wasted manpower. :(

Any ideas on how to get it? Do I have to make this a long term project and chop the HRE to pieces bit by bit and then wait until everyone forgets that I killed half of Europe?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Still trying for the "Spain is the Emperor" achievement. I've fired up a couple of games and cheated my way through the first two decades to find the following:

- Castille is too big to join the HRE. Gaining 2-3 French provinces to gain a HRE neighbour and then dropping Leon and Galicia is not enough.
- I can make 1 elector vote for me before joining the HRE by throwing everything I have at them: Alliance, Royal Marriage, Improving Relations and Bribes. This puts me over the relation cap if I want several electors to vote for me, so it's not very sustainable.
- I can't vassalize an Elector peacefully , even OPM with 200 relation.
- Gaining a vassal Elector through war is basically impossible in an outright Castille-HRE war, and even if I could after blobbing, they are understandably pissed off and won't vote for me. 3-4 wars against the HRE for a +50 relations bonus isn't worth the AE penalty and wasted manpower. :(

Any ideas on how to get it? Do I have to make this a long term project and chop the HRE to pieces bit by bit and then wait until everyone forgets that I killed half of Europe?

You join the HRE by becoming emperor first, then you'll be a full HRE state once your capital is added to the HRE. It sounds backwards, but it works; basically the idea is that the emperor will turn down any petition for membership from a nation that's too large, but if you are the emperor then there's no issue.

You become emperor by force-vassalizing 4 electors. War war war. As Castille it's not too hard to become a military monster. If you've already carved a path through France then vassalizing some electors really shouldn't be a big deal. You don't need to fight the entire HRE at the same time, just one nation + allies + the emperor. Since you've carved a hole through France you probably have a number of HRE nations next door that you can fabricate a CB on, one or more of which will probably be allied with one elector (or maybe more than one elector).

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPP1mBcZf-E

:siren: Join the new Goon Multiplayer Game, and strive to be the sinister, backstabbing mastermind that you always wanted to be. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Have any of the Paradox streams shown us how Corruption plays out? Given it's basically the make or break of the next patch.

• Locked thread