Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

That's my point, he's not necessarily only beating up criminals. Any random beating that's not proven otherwise could conceivably have been from Batman.

Batman is known in the press and in the street as someone who beats up criminals. Even if that's not 100% accurate, the average person will believe it.

When bad things happen to other people, the tendency is to look at them and say "well they must have done something that caused them to be in that situation, something I wouldn't have done." Its because people want to feel secure that the bad thing will never happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Daredevil season 2 is a really weird show to watch after seeing BvS.

Im actually looking forward to seeing the fun of BvS again after getting through this brutal, depressing loving show. I still like it but BvS is practically a family adventure romp compared to this poo poo.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 30, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Batman is known in the press and in the street as someone who beats up criminals. Even if that's not 100% accurate, the average person will believe it.

So's the Punisher, doesn't mean people don't fear him.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
when does the blu-ray come out?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

When bad things happen to other people, the tendency is to look at them and say "well they must have done something that caused them to be in that situation, something I wouldn't have done." Its because people want to feel secure that the bad thing will never happen to them.

Also this is a different context when a cop shoots a kid versus when a random thug pops out of the night to beat people up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

computer parts posted:

Yeah exactly. It's funny the dweeby 16 year old fighting monsters gets all the criticism but the grown man beating up people doesn't.

OSCORP is a WEALTH CREATOR whose goblinoid CEOs are being UNFAIRLY TARGETED, when what Real Americans want is the de-regulation of experimenting on humans and more protections of our right to keep and bear Halloween-themed arms!

:spooky:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Full Battle Rattle posted:

when does the blu-ray come out?

July, I think.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The actual canon couple has always been Bruce and Diana.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Also this is a different context when a cop shoots a kid versus when a random thug pops out of the night to beat people up.

That's the entire point of the Batman costume, and all that work he does in Year One to establish himself and his reputation. He's not just some random thug, and as far as the public is concerned the people he beats up are not random, they're criminals. That's what the press reports and that's what the word on the street is, and always has been in every single version of the character. He purposely transforms himself into a symbol so that people, both the general public and criminals, will think he's infallible.

There's never been an article written about Batman talking about how he busted into some random person's apartment and beat them up for no reason. Even if that does happen once in a while, for various reasons its not something the average person would ever be aware of.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

The actual canon couple has always been Bruce and Diana.

It might look bad, but remember, she's a centuries-old demigod, so

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

That's the entire point of the Batman costume, and all that work he does in Year One to establish himself and his reputation. He's not just some random thug, and as far as the public is concerned the people he beats up are not random, they're criminals. That's what the press reports and that's what the word on the street is, and always has been in every single version of the character. He purposely transforms himself into a symbol so that people, both the general public and criminals, will think he's infallible.

But like people said earlier, the timeline is consistently reset. Why should we believe this aspect of continuity remains unchanged?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spacebump posted:

Pretty sure that was only a brief thing in the comics. Batman's "canon" love interest is whoever the writer wants at the time.

No dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

But like people said earlier, the timeline is consistently reset. Why should we believe this aspect of continuity remains unchanged?

I know this movie changed certain things about the character, but without evidence to the contrary I'm willing to assume that his whole reasoning for putting the costume on in the first place is more or less the same. Its the only thing that makes sense really, and its a pretty standard rationale for a lot of superheroes.

What you're suggesting is, what if Batman had no reputation at all and was perceived as just some guy randomly beating people up on the street with no rhyme or reason to it? There's no scenario I can think of where that would happen in a Batman story, even one as different as this one is.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spacebump posted:

Pretty sure that was only a brief thing in the comics. Batman's "canon" love interest is whoever the writer wants at the time.

Batman's real love interest is Justice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Batman's stated purpose in his costume and MO is to strike fear into the hearts of criminals. Yet apparently there's no collateral fear as a consequence. Criminal-seeking emotions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For realz, I like Batman and Wonder Woman together much more than Superman and Wonder Woman, who have next to nothing to sustain a relationship. Like, they made an entire comic about it, and 98% of their screen time together was arguing and disagreements.

They didn't even get to have great makeup sex or anything.

Ultimately though, it'd never work out if only because Bruce is a stubborn rear end in a top hat. DCAU shows how the relationship would go best- ultimately nowhere because the dude is an unrepentant Scrooge.

And the truth of the matter is that he might be super repressed. Batman's gay as hell and that's OK.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman%27s_Love_Interests

"Wonder Woman: Diana and Bruce briefly dated [5] but nothing came of the relationship and the two remained friends.[6]. This is echoed in the Justice League animated series, where producers decided to pair Diana with Bruce instead of Clark because the show's creators disliked pairing Wonder Woman with Superman."

The closest thing Batman has had to a canon love interest is Catwoman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Batman ever have a relationship with Talia al Ghul in the comics, or was that only in the animated series?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spacebump posted:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman%27s_Love_Interests

"Wonder Woman: Diana and Bruce briefly dated [5] but nothing came of the relationship and the two remained friends.[6]. This is echoed in the Justice League animated series, where producers decided to pair Diana with Bruce instead of Clark because the show's creators disliked pairing Wonder Woman with Superman."

The closest thing Batman has had to a canon love interest is Catwoman.
Is there a character chemistry wikipedia? I didn't think so.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Did Batman ever have a relationship with Talia al Ghul in the comics, or was that only in the animated series?

Yes, and they had a son.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yes, and they had a son.

Did Batman and Wonder Woman have a kid? Kid making involves chemistry, as liquids are mixed to make new stuff. Ergo, owned bitch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Did Batman and Wonder Woman have a kid? Kid making involves chemistry, as liquids are mixed to make new stuff. Ergo, owned bitch

Superman and Wonder Woman did, then Batman called her fat

this was after he ordered a steak Well Done*

*Not My Batman

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

computer parts posted:

That's my point, he's not necessarily only beating up criminals. Any random beating that's not proven otherwise could conceivably have been from Batman.

Yes, and any conceivable beating could also be hilarious without context. People like violence, as a general rule. They just have particular subsets of violence they object to.

computer parts posted:

So's the Punisher, doesn't mean people don't fear him.

Conversely, he's so lionized in real life that every other God drat soldier paints that poo poo on their gear, and even the loving Sunni militia have picked it up through cultural osmosis. Not just "random death skull", his death skull. Because he's the Punisher, and it speaks to them. Just because you consider someone a violent sociopath doesn't mean a lot of people won't disagree, or conversely that a lot of people will think that's a bad thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yes, and they had a son.

Oh, is that Damien?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, and any conceivable beating could also be hilarious without context. People like violence, as a general rule. They just have particular subsets of violence they object to.

Conversely, he's so lionized in real life that every other God drat soldier paints that poo poo on their gear, and even the loving Sunni militia have picked it up through cultural osmosis. Not just "random death skull", his death skull. Because he's the Punisher, and it speaks to them. Just because you consider someone a violent sociopath doesn't mean a lot of people won't disagree, or conversely that a lot of people will think that's a bad thing.

So what I'm getting here is that the residents of Gotham are all of the Buenos Aires variety. Which doesn't really dispel the notion of Batman being a fascist fantasy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, is that Damien?

The very same.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

computer parts posted:

So what I'm getting here is that the residents of Gotham are all of the Buenos Aires variety. Which doesn't really dispel the notion of Batman being a fascist fantasy.

Pretty much every single super hero is a fascist fantasy, yes. Even Superman and his tinge of Kansas farmboy morality is innately fascist, playing to a patriotic image of blue collar idealism in what we are and what we stand for. Hence his radio tagline evolving into "a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.". He may be an alien god, but he's an American alien god! As it turns out though, people seem to really like fascist fantasies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Pretty much every single super hero is a fascist fantasy, yes. Even Superman and his tinge of Kansas farmboy morality is innately fascist, playing to a patriotic image of blue collar idealism in what we are and what we stand for. Hence his radio tagline evolving into "a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way.". He may be an alien god, but he's an American alien god! As it turns out though, people seem to really like fascist fantasies.

Fascism and nationalism are not identical, and Superman doesn't, or didn't initially, advocate any kind of class truce or subordination of class interests to national/ethnic solidarity. I mean if idealizing industrial and agricultural workers is fascist, a good half of the whole spectrum of politics is fascism.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Boogaleeboo posted:

Just because you consider someone a violent sociopath doesn't mean a lot of people won't disagree, or conversely that a lot of people will think that's a bad thing.

I once jokingly threw out the "Batman is crazy and uses his money to beat up poor people and the mentality Ill" canard at a party and someone who hadn't contributed to the conversation at all jumped in saying "yeah, but who wouldn't do that if they could?" and walked off before I could say anything.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

PJOmega posted:

It's a real chair, a company in Oregon makes them. $1300 or so on Amazon.

Link? Name?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I once jokingly threw out the "Batman is crazy and uses his money to beat up poor people and the mentality Ill" canard at a party and someone who hadn't contributed to the conversation at all jumped in saying "yeah, but who wouldn't do that if they could?" and walked off before I could say anything.

I mean in a world where "Bumfights" exist, how shocked can someone be that the response to "What if there was really a guy in a giant leather costume brutalizing the disenfranchised?" is often "Keep going, I'm almost there."?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mr. stefan posted:

He's got you there.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Donating money is nice, but it's not going to stop the Joker from flooding a school with joker gas. The cops can't stop him. Who can?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

nickmeister posted:

Donating money is nice, but it's not going to stop the Joker from flooding a school with joker gas. The cops can't stop him. Who can?

Most cops have bullets?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What poor people is Batman beating up exactly?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TFRazorsaw posted:

Poor people turning to crime to get by.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

nickmeister posted:

Joker only exists when Batman exists. This is actually a core aspect of both characters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

A significant majority of petty crime is done by impoverished people who are forced to it because circumstances have denied them their chance for a legitimate life.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mr. stefan posted:

A significant majority of petty crime is done by impoverished people who are forced to it because circumstances have denied them their chance for a legitimate life.

Yes all the famous Batman stories involving petty crime such as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

teagone posted:

I thought everything about that reveal with the photo was perfect. Ben did an amazing job selling the look of a man coming to grips with his world not only harboring aliens anymore, but now immortals. When the music and realization hit, that poo poo gave me shivers.

Yeah, Affleck sold all those "oh poo poo" or "what the gently caress" expressions incredibly well. This moment and his expression after the Apokolips on Earth vision really helped pull me into his character so much more because on top of all the other stuff he's dealing with - 20 years of Sisyphean crimefighting and an alien god he doesn't trust - is all this other crazy poo poo. I really loved how the Apokolips on Earth vision wasn't portrayed as a dream at all. Bruce sits down at the BatComputer, starts decrypting the LexCorps files...Decrypting 1%...Decrypting 2%....BAM. You never get the sense that he dozed off at the BatComputer, and even though it looks like he wakes up after seeing the Flash the whole thing felt much more like a vision in the Biblical or Greek sense, where the outside just touches your brain with its finger with no warning.

• Locked thread