Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Ah, that's really funny, but makes sense. Why do you leave the passenger pegs on, then? I doubt they are strong enough to protect the exhaust if you drop the bike (but would be cool if they were).

Because I got it five days ago and have a job and some very important video-game commitments. I've got a lot of little things I want to do to the bike but it's been an absolute treat so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You know what's cool? Pipe on the belly. Can't even tell mines rusted to crap. A+ would neglect again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

N is for Nipples posted:

Group photo! Click for absolutely massive because I'm too lazy to resize pics from my phone.

Whoa, welcome to the old Honda/newer Suzuki club! LOL

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

Whoa, welcome to the old Honda/newer Suzuki club! LOL

:hfive: I didn't even know that was a thing!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Puddles + water crossing. :hellyeah:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Coupla sneaky pics after another ride today. The monster goes real well sitting on 100k's but I think I might need to adjust the front forks as they are extremely stiff. By comparison, mates '78 cb250 in the background struggles to exceed about 95 but the ride is way more comfortable.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

'77 Yamaha XS750 triple! Bought it less than an hour ago.

Vintage Lyffe...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least it looks cool parked on the side of the freeway :ohdear:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sofullofhate posted:

'77 Yamaha XS750 triple! Bought it less than an hour ago.

Vintage Lyffe...

Need gas or something? I'm heading up that way in a bit.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Thanks, it was the battery. WSDOT gave me a jump and I kept the revs high to get home. It's on a Tender now - I don't think it was charging while I rode it though, so probably reg / rect or worse, generator.

Safely home:

She's a complete hoot to ride, and makes a fantastic noise. I'm very pleased with my purchase. Garage has four bikes in it now - starting to look right...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks great!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Got a fender eliminator kit but feel free to make fun of my chicken strips.

Went down south through the Arizona salt river canyon and back up on hwy 191 this weekend. Of course it started raining as soon as I entered the canyon, but 191 was beautiful and perfect weather, lot of bugs though, I think they were attracted to that Kawi green!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where in Arizona do you live?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Where in Arizona do you live?

Eagar, BFE Arizona.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn, 191 is your backyard. Very cool.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Took this the other day when I took a difficult route to get around that huge puddle. Came back today and it was much bigger and deeper from the rain. It's been bugging me, though, so I decided to try and cross it... by getting a good running start and hitting it at 40mph and staying on the throttle all the way through.

It was deeper than expected. I made it through, but water splashed up over my helmet, and through the mouth vent, drenching me and the bike from head to toe. Things also got pretty hairy the second I exited the water, but I kept it up.

Then I went off to dump it a bunch of times in muddy and more technical sections of the trail where it was single track.

Today was a good day.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Virgil Vox posted:

Got a fender eliminator kit but feel free to make fun of my chicken strips.

Went down south through the Arizona salt river canyon and back up on hwy 191 this weekend. Of course it started raining as soon as I entered the canyon, but 191 was beautiful and perfect weather, lot of bugs though, I think they were attracted to that Kawi green!

I've always wanted to ride the 191, I'm jealous. SRC is cool though. It was raining last time I went there too.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

7.3 litres of bike :D

Edit: whoops, sorry!

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 4, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You have to link to the file, not the gallery URL:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Who is the guy who likes to watch the world burn by pointing the forks right when parking?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Who is the guy who likes to watch the world burn by pointing the forks right when parking?

Only the worst people in the world do this. If hitler had a bike he'd have pointed the forks right when parking.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also scooter riders who park their bike between 2 bikes in actual designated parking spots so they can't get out. :argh:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

3 week review of a former rental 35k miles 2014 F700GS
The good:
If you loving told me two months ago that I would be driver a german bike, and one that was a loving weenie compared to my mighty ZRX I would have laughed and laughed at you and calling a loving oval office for suggesting that. After all I would ride that thing until my dying breath or its dying breath.

And of loving course it died, shinny and chrome and on its way to become a stuntbike in mad max heaven

And so the search of a new bike was on low and high I searched. Asked in here and read reviews everywhere. But i'm not here to recount the story of how I found it, but instead i'm going to tell you in an objective fashion why this is a good bike.

It runs.

However subjectively I loving love this bike, its lighter, its engine is big enough to feel peppy and it loves to ride at 5k-5.5k RPM in sixth gear. Now that it has a touring windshield I don't feel like I am paragliding, the new seat feels like a seat instead of a loving cinder block, the suspension feels nice and it handles really loving good. Like on my commute the ZRX felt clunky and sometimes even dangerous, gently caress i even dumped it on one of the hairpin turns to work. I feel confident driving it and its a nice drat feeling to have.

Oh and its averaging 50MPG, 20 more than the ZRX. The savings are offset by the fact that I use premium fuel innit. The ABS brakes, EFI and heated grips are a nice cherry on top.

The bad:
The standard windshield (BMW has 3, this model comes with the smallest) and the standard seat are abysmal as gently caress and whoever designed them are loving nazis...

Wait gently caress.

I mean they are loving horrible spergs of engineers who have no notion of human anatomy and just designed something quick in autocad before going back to their model trains.

That's better.

I have a love hate relationship with the acoustics of the bike. It sounds like its trying its damnedest to be a sneaky, sausage eating ninja. While the imga is hilarious it loving sucks when i'm driving in a tunnel, give it a little gas and I dont hear poo poo. On the other hand I gotta go to work at 5AM if I work in the mornings or get back at 7AM if I am working graveyard shift. So the bike being reasonably quiet pays off in not being ashamed of its noise.

Overall if you want a motorcycle to commute, light touring and has a little bit of brains and brawn I would recommend this motorcycle. Just dont take the fourth reich...

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Congrats on your german puzzle bike.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Flew out to LA and rented a bike to ride to Oakland. Turns out it takes forever if you go up the coast highway. Pretty, though.

Tiger was a pretty sweet ride, but I was missing my much smaller Ducati Scrambler when it was suddenly time to learn how to lanesplit.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha you don't have to lanesplit if you don't want to. How long did that take you? I'm contemplating Ventura -> SF or maybe just to Monterey

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

About 10 hours. Highway 1 had about zero viability most of the way, so I took it slow. If you end up around San Simeon during lunch, definitely stop by Sebastian's for a burger.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Professor Wayne posted:

Flew out to LA and rented a bike to ride to Oakland. Turns out it takes forever if you go up the coast highway. Pretty, though.

Tiger was a pretty sweet ride, but I was missing my much smaller Ducati Scrambler when it was suddenly time to learn how to lanesplit.

Did you get it from Eagle Rider? I rented a Tiger 800 from them and I absolutely loved the bike. I really want one still.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

Where's this photo from?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's Bixby Creek Bridge in the BG - Big Sur.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How much does a bike rental run you, per day?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Did you get it from Eagle Rider? I rented a Tiger 800 from them and I absolutely loved the bike. I really want one still.

MetaJew posted:

How much does a bike rental run you, per day?

I rented from Eagle Rider. The bike was great except for a few hiccups that I wouldn't expect to see on a non-rental. If I ever need a bigger bike, I think a Tiger would be a solid upgrade.

On paper, rentals are about a hundred a day. But that's before you do things like get it insured or add a drop off fee if you aren't planning on riding it back. I would expect to pay closer to 140 a day. Not something I plan to do often.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I plan on doing an LA -> San Fran trip in about a month. There are other options to Eagle Rider, I even found place renting R Nine Ts for $200 a day :homebrew:

I'm debating if I want to do the full PCH both ways, or if I should take the regular highway up north and then return on PCH going south. Any suggestions?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

No. 6 posted:

I plan on doing an LA -> San Fran trip in about a month. There are other options to Eagle Rider, I even found place renting R Nine Ts for $200 a day :homebrew:

I'm debating if I want to do the full PCH both ways, or if I should take the regular highway up north and then return on PCH going south. Any suggestions?

I5 is the most boring 2 lane highway in existence. Prepare for heat and cow poo poo.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I5 is the most boring 2 lane highway in existence. Prepare for heat and cow poo poo.

This is accurate and true. You could take 101, which is much nicer and only slightly longer. Still pretty straight though.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What's the climate like in early May?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

No. 6 posted:

PCH is best Southbound, since you're on the water side. Traffic on PCH is almost always fairly heavy IME, so it depends on how much time you have.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

No. 6 posted:

What's the climate like in early May?

Should be fabulous, alternating chilly and hot.

If you are thinking of doing a loop and conditions are nice consider going norther out of LA on 395 through the desert then cut west on 120. Nice scenery through there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

PCH is best Southbound, since you're on the water side. Traffic on PCH is almost always fairly heavy IME, so it depends on how much time you have.

The PCH is mostly a two lane road, so in my opinion it doesn't really matter whether you're going north or south. You'll be very close to the water/cliff and see all the good views going either direction. I find that the traffic on it is very low once you get outside of the cities and obviously touristy areas.

The climate in May should be beautiful, but be aware that it might be cold, misty and blustery at times as you get up near San Francisco. Depends on the short term weather and the time of day. Don't bring summer-only gear, basically.

I have the same opinion about I-5 as everyone else -- it's straight, flat, full of 18-wheelers, and boring.

Also, ask in the socal and bay area threads for specific suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When I've toyed with the idea of touring between LA and San Francisco, I've thought about visiting the desert and Yosemite one way, then PCH the other.