Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ape Agitator posted:

I think the takeaway is that the whole thing was inherently corrupt.  Cap discovers hydra weapons on the carrier in Avengers advocated by Nick Fury and Nick Fury hired the bad guys who attack the ship at the beginning of Winter Solider.  The carriers in Winter Soldier weren't created under cover of darkness, they were done in broad daylight and just used in their intended way with a slight tweak on perspective.

I thought the takeaway was that Hydra didn't so much corrupt Shield as they were left and right hands of the same organism with the same overall philosophy.  Tony Stark's concept of order via pre-emptive force (Ultron) is an extension of that, and I assume will be the argument for a Shield/Hydra rebirth in Civil War.  You know mutant/inhuman registration because security is more important than liberty, that sort of thing.

I thought it was a bold choice to sidestep there being a 24-esque "mole in the organization" rather than going whole hog and razing the entire corrupt organization to the ground.

I know it's not widely watched around these parts, but the TV show handled the aftermath quite nicely as they transition from the Hydra-esque inhuman killers into A-Team shadow fugitives who recruited those they usually killed.

Edit:

It's the darkest thing any hero has said in any movie thus far. And the darkest choice any hero has committed to.

I never watched AoS so I'm happy to hear that they acknowledge WS.

And yeah, it was quite clear that you're supposed to agree with Steve: SHIELD wasn't corrupted from outside, it was corrupted by its own members, and Hydra only moved in when it was no longer possible to tell a SHIELD agent apart from a HYDRA agent.

It's a little silly that Fury has his own rogue squad of agents and mobile base, but I guess "they're only around for humanitarian aid" is supposed to be Good Enough until Civil War. And because Sam Jackson brings in a shitload of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I never watched AoS so I'm happy to hear that they acknowledge WS.

And yeah, it was quite clear that you're supposed to agree with Steve: SHIELD wasn't corrupted from outside, it was corrupted by its own members, and Hydra only moved in when it was no longer possible to tell a SHIELD agent apart from a HYDRA agent.

It's a little silly that Fury has his own rogue squad of agents and mobile base, but I guess "they're only around for humanitarian aid" is supposed to be Good Enough until Civil War. And because Sam Jackson brings in a shitload of money.

It's probably the neatest thing about Agents of Shield. Agents of Shield starts out as a pretty mediocre, cliche character filled procedural pretty much, but a lot of that (probably too much because people got bored with the boringness) was just set up so that they could blow up all those expectations once they got to the Winter Soldier crossover. The best bad guy in the show (and one of the best bad guys in the whole MCU...though the competition ain't that stiff) started as a very boring/cookie cutter tough guy good guy secret agent type.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

BlackJosh posted:

It's probably the neatest thing about Agents of Shield. Agents of Shield starts out as a pretty mediocre, cliche character filled procedural pretty much, but a lot of that (probably too much because people got bored with the boringness) was just set up so that they could blow up all those expectations once they got to the Winter Soldier crossover.
Typically I don't watch shows if they're not interesting. I never got to the 'surprise it was all bad on purpose' twist.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I think these pretty well sum up why I give Snyder a pass even if some of his films are deeply flawed. At the end of the day I'm just glad he's out there making movies because he's so goddamned unique.

Winter Soldier is a good movie by most measures but also kind of bland by comparison.

I really hate the idea that different carries some inherent worth.

BlackJosh posted:

It's probably the neatest thing about Agents of Shield. Agents of Shield starts out as a pretty mediocre, cliche character filled procedural pretty much, but a lot of that (probably too much because people got bored with the boringness) was just set up so that they could blow up all those expectations once they got to the Winter Soldier crossover. The best bad guy in the show (and one of the best bad guys in the whole MCU...though the competition ain't that stiff) started as a very boring/cookie cutter tough guy good guy secret agent type.

I got bored of AoS after a fair few episodes and tuned out forever. Heard about the twist though. Did it really stick? Did they manage to turn that guy heel and keep him that way without making him some kind of triple agent or he's conflicted or he's gonna come back?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SonicRulez posted:

Different stuff is interesting, especially when the industry standard is boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SonicRulez posted:

Er...alright.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SonicRulez posted:

I got bored of AoS after a fair few episodes and tuned out forever. Heard about the twist though. Did it really stick? Did they manage to turn that guy heel and keep him that way without making him some kind of triple agent or he's conflicted or he's gonna come back?
It stuck and was incredible. "That guy" has probably been the most enjoyable villain Marvel has depicted.

e: Oh wait forgot about Fisk. But still.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

Not only did it stick but they added elements of humanization or rationalization to induce thoughts of "it's all a trick" or "it's a point of view thing" and then they down down. And then triple down.

People bailing on the boring are easily forgiven but if you stick with a season of that the payoff continues rolling in.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SonicRulez posted:

Really?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, here's why Superman couldn't just find Martha, from Snyder's mouth

quote:

“I think all the way – to me, from Metropolis to Smallville is probably just on the edge of his range of hearing” he explained. “Also the clutter of the city makes it difficult as well."

"We had a scene that we cut from the movie where he tries to look for her when he finds out that Lex has got her," Snyder continued. "It was a slightly dark scene that we cut out because it sort of represented this dark side. Because when he was looking for his mom he heard all the cries of all the potential crimes going on in the city, you know when you look.

“I kind of like the idea that he’s taught himself not to look because if he looks it’s just neverending, right? You have to know when, as Superman, when to intervene and when not to. Or not when not to, you can’t be everywhere at once, literally you can’t be everywhere at once, so he has to be really selective in a weird way about where he chooses to interfere.”

It's sound logic, but, god, people are gonna get ripshit angry about this answer aren't they?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

ElNarez posted:

It's sound logic, but, god, people are gonna get ripshit angry about this answer aren't they?

I think the only work in which Superman tries to save literally everyone is Red Son.

Incidentally, I'm not a huge fan of that story.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SonicRulez posted:

Jeez, dude. That poster isn't saying "different is always better!", just that they appreciate things that at least try to be different.

ElNarez posted:

They already do that whenever he says anything.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

computer parts posted:

Different stuff is interesting, especially when the industry standard is boring.

At a certain level I agree, novelty in and of itself is a trifle and something like Creed or Fury that's wholly derivative but has a nuanced perspective on the well trodden ground it covers ends up in everyone's favorites every year. The real problem with what he's saying is it's a strawman, no one is saying things are good entirely because they're different.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
2+2=5 is different, but its also bad maths.

Thats not to say different is inherently wrong either, just that a part of the risk of Different is the potential to not be superior (or even inferior).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

2+2=5 is different, but its also bad maths.

With truncation, that's actually half of all possibilities.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

They gave him some pathos but he's definitely a hosed up psycho and has no chance of redemption at this point (if he ever did) beyond supernatural fuckery and pretty much every body on the team at one point or another has talked about how much they want to murder him (some of them have even got their shot and they've all at least taken it when they've had the chance even if it hasn't worked out exactly).

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

ElNarez posted:

He really shouldn't bother, because explaining away all of the plotholes involved in Superman's selective use of powers is a conversation that would never end.

Its like Peter Petrelli from Heroes, his powers only worked as well as the plot would allow. Otherwise there would be no drama since he'd instantly solve every problem before they got started.

The only way to win that game is to not play.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DeimosRising posted:

At a certain level I agree, novelty in and of itself is a trifle and something like Creed or Fury that's wholly derivative but has a nuanced perspective on the well trodden ground it covers ends up in everyone's favorites every year. The real problem with what he's saying is it's a strawman, no one is saying things are good entirely because they're different.

Ok, but the post just said "I'm glad he's making stuff because he's unique." If it had said "I'm glad his unique vision accomplishes xyz" then I wouldn't have said anything. But it came off as that it was appreciated just because it was different. I was looking for an explanation as to how those differences make up a better product.

Ape Agitator posted:

Not only did it stick but they added elements of humanization or rationalization to induce thoughts of "it's all a trick" or "it's a point of view thing" and then they down down. And then triple down.

People bailing on the boring are easily forgiven but if you stick with a season of that the payoff continues rolling in.

That's actually really cool. AoS is on Netflix, I should force myself through it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Rewatching man of steel really helped me appreciate how good zimmer's soundtrack is and how integral it is to the movie.

Clark saves bus? Triumphant reprise of main theme.

Kids see Clark save bus? Somber, dangerous.

Clark goes back to save Todd? Happy, but not triumphant.

I wouldn't say the message is obvious, but the music really helps sell what Clark's dad had to say about his actions.

(Also the scene where he tells Clark "...maybe" is way more nuanced than :byodood: Objectivist Zack Snyder :byodood:)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SonicRulez posted:

Ok, but the post just said "I'm glad he's making stuff because he's unique." If it had said "I'm glad his unique vision accomplishes xyz" then I wouldn't have said anything. But it came off as that it was appreciated just because it was different. I was looking for an explanation as to how those differences make up a better product.

You could have directly asked for elaboration instead of using a strawman argument.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

He was quoting me and I was talking about visuals with specific scenes called out :colbert:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

computer parts posted:

Yeah, interesting is a much better word to use. I'd rather watch an interesting bad movie rather than a boring movie. Like, give me Batman and Robin a million times before I watch Thor again. B&R isn't good, but it sure is fascinating.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Interesting bad films bum me out because they got soooo close but just shat the bed. Making movies is hard and people failing doing so is sad.

Except when it's Brett Ratner.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Looking at these two, it's amazing how much better and realistic the WS soldier fight looks. The batman clip looks like everyone's being blown around the room by a powerful fan. I always hated cap fighting with a shield, never really understood how it would help in a fight in the modern era, but seeing all the little quick beats of how it's useful (hiding behind it at close range to block bullets) really helped the scene.

The batman fight looks like a bad cliche, taking all the worst elements of bad looking kung fu and combining it in one scene.

Snyder should watch this before directing another film:

https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ

At least you see some of the impact in the cap gif.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I do appreciate it just because it's different. Different inherently makes for an interesting product, even if it's not functionally better.

Remember we're talking about art here.

To rephrase; I think Winter Soldier is a better movie by most measures, but BvS is a more interesting movie by a mile.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, interesting is a much better word to use. I'd rather watch an interesting bad movie rather than a boring movie. Like, give me Batman and Robin a million times before I watch Thor again. B&R isn't good, but it sure is fascinating.

I think after the first 340,000 views watching Thor instead might start sounding ok.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Kurzon posted:

How humorous were the Suicide Squad books?

Sorry for the necro.

There was a multi-issue mystery where members of the team kept getting pied in the face. Link for all the times it happened. It was Captain Boomerang

Most of the humor was dark, but there was that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

I think after the first 340,000 views watching Thor instead might start sounding ok.

I dunno man, I really didn't like Thor.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Mourning Due posted:

Looking at these two, it's amazing how much better and realistic the WS soldier fight looks. The batman clip looks like everyone's being blown around the room by a powerful fan. I always hated cap fighting with a shield, never really understood how it would help in a fight in the modern era, but seeing all the little quick beats of how it's useful (hiding behind it at close range to block bullets) really helped the scene.

The batman fight looks like a bad cliche, taking all the worst elements of bad looking kung fu and combining it in one scene.

The Batman fight is taken from the trailer and there a lot of stuff cut from it to shorten it down, you can't judge it based on the gif.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Equeen posted:

You could have directly asked for elaboration instead of using a strawman argument.

Not a strawman.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I do appreciate it just because it's different. Different inherently makes for an interesting product, even if it's not functionally better.

Remember we're talking about art here.

To rephrase; I think Winter Soldier is a better movie by most measures, but BvS is a more interesting movie by a mile.

See, I'm not sure I agree with that stand point either. Different only means different. Something doesn't have to be different to be interesting. Whether you think BvS is more interesting than WS is all you, but I would think there's more to it than it's not Winter Soldier.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

SonicRulez posted:

Not a strawman.

See, I'm not sure I agree with that stand point either. Different only means different. Something doesn't have to be different to be interesting. Whether you think BvS is more interesting than WS is all you, but I would think there's more to it than it's not Winter Soldier.

Agreed there, for me BvS had interesting visuals for sure, but the overall product was kinda dull. Give me something like Guardians or Winter Soldier that maybe has less interesting visuals (though Guardians had some gorgeous shots), but excels in other areas any day of the week.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The BvS thread in GBS has turned into a support group for people who dont like CineD and are crying to each other about this thread and its pretty funny.

They also really hate Zack Snyder to the point where its kind of sad and they are gleefully anticipating the supposedly inevitable downfall of the DCEU like some kind of nerd version of the Mean Girls.

Keep it goin in here guys, even if you are all objectively wrong about this movie its totally worth the meltdowns in that thread.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hey, don't hate. GBS is where I go for all my quality discussions.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Not a strawman.

Sure, I agree with that, this is obviously all very subjective and there are obviously exemptions, but we can probably all agree that uniqueness is valuable, and is a quality in and of itself.

How important you rate that quality is up to you.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 10, 2016

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Really cool + awesome how "having different taste in movies" is a dangerous enough act to get a shark-tank thread about you where a bunch of weirdos furiously Jack each other off about how much they hate you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"Show me where on the doll CineD touched you."
"They liked PROMETHEUS, man! They didn't need to touch my body. They touched my SOUL."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
maybe there should be a third thread for talking about the first two threads

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I saw BvS the other day and thought it was really, really great with a couple of small caveats like the "save...Martha- WHY DID YOU SAY THAT??? :rolleyes: part but hearing here the rumor that they might release into theatres the 'director's extended cut' seems kinda like cheating and makes me annoyed.

It feels like double dipping on the goodwill of all of us who went and saw the ~incomplete~ one. :argh: Asking us to spend ANOTHER eleven dollars to get a slightly more coherent version of it. I'm fine having it be a different media release like for bluray or whatever.

That said, I really hope the movie continues to do well, because I really enjoy this modern DC movie take on their characters. They're such visually arresting movies, too, on top of their layers of characterization.

I love their take on Superman, and thought he was pretty fantastic here. Pa Kent's story really put clearly for those that didn't pick it up otherwise what Clark has been going through, and I really think it's an interesting and unique take.

Batffleck is just amazing. The bits of dialog with Alfred, his entire experience during the Metropolis destruction in the beginning, the casual observation and help he gave to that pit fighter to take down the stronger opponent, the framed butchered Robin outfit...even his dreams and stuff (except for the random Flash bit, was all wonderful.

Wonder Woman getting knocked the hosed back by doomsday and dropping her sword before she grins and leaps back into the fight was pretty awesome, as well. I loved that little bit.

Lex took a bit to warm up to, and I wish there was more to his decline into insanity than a shitton of assumptions that only really comic nerds would understand based off from the single line of conversation between him and the ship - "there are 100,000 worlds and information blah blah what would you like to know?" "Tell me all of it."

I am goddamned stoked for the future individual Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman movies. Ooh, and the team movies, too.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 10, 2016

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Mourning Due posted:

I think it's kind of fun how we both see the same thing but walk away with totally different observations. When watching the Cap fight, because of the lighting and quick cuts, it highlights how few punches and kicks actually connect and looks incredibly phony and has little impact.

The dark lighting in Batman V Superman helps hide some of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ape Agitator posted:

She kind of is reinvented to be brooding and dark.  The universe is presented to be unaware of the existence of naturally super powered people.  But it kind of is since Suicide Squad has a person on fire and a crocodile in it so I have no idea if they're less remarkable because they're lab experiments or something.  But the existence of The Flash and Aquaman are such closely guarded secrets that they're only revealed via Lex and his infinite global reach.  Wonder Woman's previous exploits are unknown it seems and her photograph kind of subdues her costume with a coat.

And she states that she was involved but concluded humans couldn't be saved so that's a dark, dark timeline for a hero movie to cover.

They've kind of created a scenario where Wonder Woman can't leave a mark on history and has to give up on humanity for a hundred years so it's like an Aliens vs Predator where it all takes place in the arctic or everyone is bombed out so that the traces are all gone.  And then she proceeds to give up and watch WWII on Olympian TV or something.  It seems like the best case scenario is do a prequel that was all gods and deity stuff and low key secret ops against the Kaiser and then leave her disillusionment phase to the imagination because it's way more of a downer than anything in comic book movies thus far.  But it still seems primed to be as dark as MoS and BvS.  She can't exactly be featured in a newspaper with her heroics.
So what you're saying is that me being wary of them reinterpreting Wonder Woman as brooding and dark actually is a legitimate position one could take since they are in fact reinterpreting her as being brooding and dark?

Huh, who would have thought?

• Locked thread