Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sperglord posted:

I've been tossing that idea about in my head, how to create a unique IP set in a quasi "Fall of the Roman Empire" style universe. The IP would have to achieve the following:
- Give players the chance to be an adventurer on the "edge of civilization"
- Give players the chance to interact with effectively Alien societies
- Give players the chance to interact with a intergalactic change of society and governance

I'll have to develop it further, but I think that such a game could be made which also plays on threats people feel about present society, too much consumption on finite resources.

To give broad brush strokes, the Empire is "Post-Scarcity" but that "Post--Scarcity" is supported by an extensive Raw Material transportation links. (Nobody wants their own solar-system stripped for minerals, especially if telepresence tourism is a big thing) FTL is relatively slow (10Ly / year), but hugely energy efficient, so people leave long-distance transport to robotic trade links. This system works as long as the Empire expands enough to provide easy access to new raw materials. (Strip Mining being far more energy efficient than some other mining mechanisms, etc.)

Human society is divided into a Post-Scarcity Post-Human inner core, sustained by the Empire's continual inflow of raw materials and with a life pushed towards greater and greater experiences. Outside the inner core are the still-Human pre-FTL colonies, which provide the manpower and resource locations to support the expanding resource burdain of the Empire. This state of affairs continues for some time, the Empire uses it's FTL and resource capabilities to cow the pre-FTL society into submission.

The story begins with a discovery that some pre-FTL colonies do possess FTL, of a more advanced technological design than the Empire. The player is part of a military mission to the frontier to punish that colony and recover the technology.

From here, the rest of the story proceeds according to the Fall of the Roman Empire. Outside colonies want to get the material wealth of the Empire, but their moving towards the Empire disrupts the trade and resource flows which sustain the Empire. A general societal collapse ensues, nearly genocidal, as solar systems, dependent upon outside resources, lose those resource flows.

The player focuses on the frontier between the Empire and the incoming humans. Interesting moral questions appear as: why defend the Empire when it's wealth requires exploitation of the humans? Why support the humans if they are less societally advanced than the Empire.Throughout this, there is the question of why the Humans are moving now and in such numbers. And where did that advanced FTL come from?

Can I play as a tiger?

TIGER:

I had this crazy idea. When you make your space game, instead of making lots of panels that are just low res images of complete bullshit, instead make no panels. Then add in panels that display actual information one at a time as you implement functionality.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Making it Rain posted:

I literally clicked the link like 10seconds after your post and it was already deleted... :troll:

I decrypted/bruteforced it the other night, it appears 8ace during he's Salty Dick moment removed what ever it was that was linked to.

i've re done it like x4 times now and i get the exact same result after each run. :fry:

Share what you did then so that others can see what you are on about.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Beet Wagon posted:

I rock the foodlab four step process and it works great (even if it's a bit of a pain in the rear end)

1. Boil with water and vinegar
2. Light fry
3. Freeze
4. Final fry

It's actually pretty nice to be able to prep a huge batch of fries and just freeze them so I can pull them out on burger night or whatever and not have to go through a bunch of steps.

Try goose grease. It makes even better fries than peanut oil in my opinion.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Secret PTU

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6553031/#Comment_6553031

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6553557/#Comment_6553557

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6553665/#Comment_6553665

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Haskell9 posted:

goose grease with potatoes might be the greatest combination known to man.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Sillybones posted:

Can I play as a tiger?

TIGER:

I had this crazy idea. When you make your space game, instead of making lots of panels that are just low res images of complete bullshit, instead make no panels. Then add in panels that display actual information one at a time as you implement functionality.

Rather than selling 101 different loving ships, make one of each archetype/function & use components/modular parts to test/balance game systems. Implement ships as functionality is available.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:laffo:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

A goon on CIG's forums being replied to by someone who is probably also a goon, then getting screenshotted by a goon and posted on SA to be criticised by goons.

It's a complex web of :gary: from which we will never escape.

You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's goons all the way down.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Variable 5 posted:

Milestone reached this morning, guys:

:golfclap: tooterfish will be proud

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

All CIG devs actually being goons would explain so much about SC's development

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

AP posted:

It's a nice break from designing shoes.
:prepop:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Reharakhti posted:

I may have turned a tweaked pgabz cat into the main character of a game :v:

Special airhorn backpack will be included as a skin of course

Incredible, this is the best!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Verhoeven tried reading the original Starship Troopers book by Heinlein, gave up a couple chapters in because it was a love letter to fascism (it was written when Heinlein was going through a very militarily-optimistic phase and he used the book as a vessel for his views which he had come under attack for) and went and did his own thing using just the broad strokes of the plot and setting and used it as a criticism of optimistic militarism/might makes right. Large chunks of the movie are inspired by propaganda newsreels (not just the famous "would you like to know more?" parts), the characters wear uniforms heavily inspired by WW2 Germany's, and a lot of the dialogue is about how violence and war is good and just. This is juxtaposed with things like how all the people who earned their citizenship through military service and came back alive were crippled in some way, how executions are broadcast on TV and advertised like sporting events, and how public floggings are mentioned and shown to be a typical punishment for stepping out of line.

If you turn off your brain you might just end up cheering the characters on, when in fact you're supposed to see all of this stuff as being bad. I mean, the bugs couldn't possibly have even launched that asteroid at Earth from across the galaxy but they're used as the punching bag for the current two minutes of hate because the society that was depicted in the movie always needs something to direct its violence at. But after all the death and killing, the movie ends on a "hell yeah let's get some more" note with the characters who survived showing up as stars of a propaganda reel of their own.

Edit: It was so good at what it tried to do that it got criticized for being a "fascist" movie by critics who didn't look past the surface to see that the movie was in no way endorsing this society and was in fact showing it to be monstrous

This is a few pages ago but I don't care.

Starship Troopers is less a love letter to fascism and more Heinlein manifesting his lust for Marine Corps dick into literature. During his brief stint in the Navy he became infatuated with the Marines and idolized them. gently caress if I know why but the book is basically one big sloppy deepthroat of the United State Marine Corps except in this case its bugs instead of south americans

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Speaking of pgabz where is pgabz?

Where are you pgabz?

:pgabz:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Sperglord posted:

I've been tossing that idea about in my head, how to create a unique IP set in a quasi "Fall of the Roman Empire" style universe. The IP would have to achieve the following:
- Give players the chance to be an adventurer on the "edge of civilization"
- Give players the chance to interact with effectively Alien societies
- Give players the chance to interact with a intergalactic change of society and governance

I'll have to develop it further, but I think that such a game could be made which also plays on threats people feel about present society, too much consumption on finite resources.

To give broad brush strokes, the Empire is "Post-Scarcity" but that "Post--Scarcity" is supported by an extensive Raw Material transportation links. (Nobody wants their own solar-system stripped for minerals, especially if telepresence tourism is a big thing) FTL is relatively slow (10Ly / year), but hugely energy efficient, so people leave long-distance transport to robotic trade links. This system works as long as the Empire expands enough to provide easy access to new raw materials. (Strip Mining being far more energy efficient than some other mining mechanisms, etc.)

Human society is divided into a Post-Scarcity Post-Human inner core, sustained by the Empire's continual inflow of raw materials and with a life pushed towards greater and greater experiences. Outside the inner core are the still-Human pre-FTL colonies, which provide the manpower and resource locations to support the expanding resource burdain of the Empire. This state of affairs continues for some time, the Empire uses it's FTL and resource capabilities to cow the pre-FTL society into submission.

The story begins with a discovery that some pre-FTL colonies do possess FTL, of a more advanced technological design than the Empire. The player is part of a military mission to the frontier to punish that colony and recover the technology.

From here, the rest of the story proceeds according to the Fall of the Roman Empire. Outside colonies want to get the material wealth of the Empire, but their moving towards the Empire disrupts the trade and resource flows which sustain the Empire. A general societal collapse ensues, nearly genocidal, as solar systems, dependent upon outside resources, lose those resource flows.

The player focuses on the frontier between the Empire and the incoming humans. Interesting moral questions appear as: why defend the Empire when it's wealth requires exploitation of the humans? Why support the humans if they are less societally advanced than the Empire.Throughout this, there is the question of why the Humans are moving now and in such numbers. And where did that advanced FTL come from?

Congratulations, you have a more interesting IP than anything Croberts has ever envisioned, and you haven't even had to promise procedural birds!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
pgabz seems to have disappeared at around the same time as 8ace.

....just sayin

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

pgabz seems to have disappeared at around the same time as 8ace.

....just sayin

:tinfoil:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Daztek posted:

All CIG devs actually being goons would explain so much about SC's development

imagine 3 ships at the edge of a space

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best fries were from McDonalds back when they still used to fry them in beef tallow.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Iron Tusk posted:

The best fries were from McDonalds back when they still used to fry them in beef tallow.

Mr Potato Head era Burger King fries. Don't get me started on the poo poo they call nuggets now.

Seriously someone get me a time machine so I can go back to 95 to get some decent fast food. I never collected all the Pizza Hut window stickers, poo poo needs fixing.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 10, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Attempt to Pre-empt

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT I HAVE TALENTS AND SKILLS PLEASE AND THANK YOU

HAVE A NICE THREAD EVERYONE, IM HOME ALL DAY DOING TAP DANCING

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Reharakhti posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
That is really cool, sorry I am not around much at the moment but I am keeping up with the thread as best I can :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

hakimashou posted:

Speaking of pgabz where is pgabz?

Where are you pgabz?

:pgabz:

I am still reading the thread but I have just got busy :(

It won't last forever, I have to learn a load of songs cos I am in a band and stuff and we are doing some festivals and gigs soon

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Also-- I can't remember-- was that larger table identified and added to the Restoration Hardware tally? It's hard to keep track of all that wonderful rustic furniture they've purchased from the world's leading purveyor of luxury home and office furnishings...

Posting from the past, so hopefully no one replied already, but...
If you're talking about the round one, then yes, $5k or thereabouts.

Also, the chairs, if they are RH, are not originals, as RH appears to have been making knockoffs and got into a legal spat with Emeco. So all the chairs are likely to be expensive ($1k?) knockoffs. Kinda like Star Citizen.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

it's like eating fluffy pillows of dreams, fat and diabetes.

So... Like eating Star Citizen backers?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Reharakhti posted:

:swoon: pgabz is gonna be a star. Bigger than minecraft

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Shouldn't someone her age be dumping all her unfulfilled hopes and dreams on her children? That's what you have children for right?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Haskell9 posted:

Stinks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

orcinus posted:

Posting from the past, so hopefully no one replied already, but...
If you're talking about the round one, then yes, $5k or thereabouts.

No - the round one was $2000-2500. A pittance! (Beer posted it in.)

I meant the long rectangular one in AP's most recent pic. Looked rustic and bigger so I'm assuming it's an RH table and costlier than the round one.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I think Sandi is attempting to learn how to play Full Burn on the piano.
It's gonna be her central act at the next Citizen Con.

Chris' snorting will provide the rhythm section, alongside Lando's beard mammals doing the vocals.
Ben will be lying across the piano (reinforced RH model) with a thorned rose in his mouth.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Reharakhti posted:

You need to make a comic. This needs to continue into forever.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

No - the round one was $2000-2500. Beer posted it in.

I meant the long rectangular one in AP's most recent pic. Looked rustic and bigger so I'm assuming it's an RH table and costlier than the round one.

Ah, i might've mixed them up.
I'm half-sure one of them really *was* $5k.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biHeRs2JRYE

can someone explain the punchline for this to me? :confused:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Can someone explain to me why he seemingly pulled a knife out of his butt?
Was he trying to smuggle it aboard past the Space TSA or something?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

My mom asked me to make some prints of these so I figured I'd share them with y'all too.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Best guess:

:itwaspoo:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

moveable shape posted:

:swoon: pgabz is gonna be a star. Bigger than minecraft

Is this model going to be in Solar Plebian? Please say yes Toops!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

moveable shape posted:

Shouldn't someone her age be dumping all her unfulfilled hopes and dreams on her children? That's what you have children for right?

Isn't that why her children have IMDB profiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

runsamok posted:

My mom asked me to make some prints of these so I figured I'd share them with y'all too.

Beautiful work, mate. Ever consider going to CitizenCon with your infrared setup and taking pictures of whales? It would be like taking a safari through the DSM-5...

• Locked thread