Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Umm... If you've been hit 5 times I'm pretty sure it's not the other guy that's the idiot.

poo poo happens in some places. The roads near my HS used to be notorious for fender benders because of the idiot 16 year olds getting a taste for freedom and insisting that they had to eat every lunch at the nearby Dairy Queen, which lead to a lot of fender benders as people rushed to not be late for class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You must live in Capitol Hill, only place with that many shithead drivers I think.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

You must live in Capitol Hill, only place with that many shithead drivers I think.

Almost every encounter has been in Englewood/Greenwood Village area. People in the tech center are terrible drivers. But then again, if there is 1 flake of snow everyone freaks out and starts banging in to each other.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo happens in some places. The roads near my HS used to be notorious for fender benders because of the idiot 16 year olds getting a taste for freedom and insisting that they had to eat every lunch at the nearby Dairy Queen, which lead to a lot of fender benders as people rushed to not be late for class.

The trials and tribulations of any Oregon high school right there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kramdar posted:

Yup.

hraringly bloingler
Feb 22, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Umm... If you've been hit 5 times I'm pretty sure it's not the other guy that's the idiot.

We refer to these people are "poo poo magnets". Like the guy whose car has been vandalized a dozen times. Technically he's not at fault but you know somewhere the along the line he hosed up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

We refer to these people are "poo poo magnets". Like the guy whose car has been vandalized a dozen times. Technically he's not at fault but you know somewhere the along the line he hosed up.

I messed up by continually trying to drive a nice car and not a ragged out piece of poo poo.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
EDIT: Figured it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 18, 2016

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Blakkout posted:

EDIT: Figured it out.

Installing VW wipers involves various incantations of "gently caress THIS PIECE OF poo poo" before it magically just clips into place.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I messed up by continually trying to drive a nice car and not a ragged out piece of poo poo.

People with beaters get hit by snowplows and kids making ill advised turns, too, Princess.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Nostrum posted:

Installing VW wipers involves various incantations of "gently caress THIS PIECE OF poo poo" before it magically just clips into place.

Yeah, let's just say I know more about varieties of VW/Audi wipers than anyone should ever have to.

And yes, I finally got that fucker off.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tactlessbastard posted:

People with beaters get hit by snowplows and kids making ill advised turns, too, Princess.

Salty.

I was replying to the guy that said some people are just "poo poo magnets". You must drive a beater. Show me on the doll where the bad car touched you.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Kramdar posted:

My Oregon high school was the same. I did not know this was somehow regional that kids drive and wreck cars on lunch.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Nostrum posted:

Just bought one from Costco and it took me a while to figure out. Also the pivot attachment thing is huge so I'll probably return it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I only buy oe replacements off Amazon because it's easier than dicking with various adapters. The one set I bought from Costco made the wipers sit higher than stock and it legitimately bugged me until I replaced them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
When I went to buy some wipers at the local VW dealership the lady who was the cashier managed to give me a 27 dollar refund instead of charging me 27 bucks for the wipers :downs:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So some news:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/vw-to-pay-us-customers-5000-each-to-settle-dieselgate-die-welt.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-court-idUSKCN0XH0ZV
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-usa-idUSKCN0XH2CX?mod=related&channelName=businessNews

But we'll have to wait until tomorrow to know for sure if this is true.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

$5000 is probably way more than I would have gotten out of a class action, so that is good. I would estimate that is in the ballpark of the value lost on my 2014 Passat.

/edit: Just read the last article posted. Was 500,000 the ballpark number of affected cars in the US? I thought they were throwing around 600,000 as the US number. Just going to have to wait and see if they are going to buyback the Adblue cars, or just give them a software update.

Honestly, at this point I don't know which I would prefer. The $5k in addition to current value gets it to a reasonable return, but it doesn't give me a significant down payment on a new vehicle.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 20, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orvin posted:

I still want to know what the fix is going to be.

From the sounds of it it does not look like there is one. At least not a fix that the Govt will approve.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really like my 2015 passat and would rather not have to get a new car. If I do though it won't be a VW.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I could probably be talked into another VW, but it would have to be at a serious discount. Something like I turn in my 2014 TDI SEL Passat for a 2016 V6 SEL Passat at my current loan amount. Which I fully understand is a pretty unreasonable deal.

I really like how roomy my car is, and I no longer have the super long commute that makes a TDI attractive. But I do worry about the long term prospects of VW as a company.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orvin posted:

I could probably be talked into another VW, but it would have to be at a serious discount. Something like I turn in my 2014 TDI SEL Passat for a 2016 V6 SEL Passat at my current loan amount. Which I fully understand is a pretty unreasonable deal.

I really like how roomy my car is, and I no longer have the super long commute that makes a TDI attractive. But I do worry about the long term prospects of VW as a company.

Yeah I mean if they offered me a straight swap for a new Passat and the 5k I might take that deal. I'm not fond of the idea of having to go through the whole car buying process again.

I also no longer have a long rear end commute that made that TDI attractive so I wouldn't take much of a hit on that. Time will tell I guess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So is it $5k or a buyback. Or will you be able to pick one or the other? $5k and an incentive on a new car would probably work out better for me I'd think? My car has some "character" after 75k miles in 3 years that would knock quite a bit off resale value.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fknlo posted:

So is it $5k or a buyback. Or will you be able to pick one or the other? $5k and an incentive on a new car would probably work out better for me I'd think? My car has some "character" after 75k miles in 3 years that would knock quite a bit off resale value.

From the sounds of it it would be 5k and a buyback.

My question about the buyback would be how much are they going to give? I'm not sure if I am top heavy on my loan or not ( I probably am ).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
buy backs too? i just double :gizz::gizz:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

buy backs too? i just double :gizz::gizz:

No poo poo. I don't see how I wouldn't come out ahead even if I get hit pretty hard on the cosmetic issues.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I still love my A3 but a buyback at pre-scandal value (or sticker? :swoon:) + $5K gets me pretty close to a Model 3, and after all of this bullshit I'm more then ready to say goodbye to internal combustion forever.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

bizwank posted:

I still love my A3 but a buyback at pre-scandal value (or sticker? :swoon:) + $5K gets me pretty close to a Model 3, and after all of this bullshit I'm more then ready to say goodbye to internal combustion forever.

I get where you are coming from but what are you going to do in the 3+ years it takes to get your Model 3?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I live close to transit, have a 15 minute no-freeway commute and I don't drive much on the weekends. So, I could pick up a $2K beater Corolla and supplement that with car2go/zipcar/Uber, my neighbor's truck, etc. I've got the credit to lease something nice too but I kinda like not having a car payment. Really hinges on the details of the buy-back though, if it even materializes; worst-case scenario I take the $5K, get a tune and some new wheels/tires and drive the hell out of my TDI until the government comes to take it away.

Edit: "Owners are expected to have around two years to decide whether to sell back vehicles or get them repaired."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160420/OEM11/160429980/vw-said-to-pay-u-s-customers-5000-each-in-diesel-settlement

bizwank fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 20, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No way in hell would they buy it back for sticker price. Hopefully they would use Pre Scandal KBB price or something but poo poo you never know.

lovely thing is I don't have to figure out which car to buy I have to figure out which 2 cars to buy as my GF as a 2015 Jetta TDI as well. She was super happy with her car and neither of us are happy trying to figure out what she should get next.

Why is new car buying always such an exhausting process?

Edit:

quote:

Separately, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported Wednesday that the deal to settle the case would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000. But a person briefed on the matter told Reuters that no decisions on how individual compensation will be awarded have been made.

lol I just thought maybe they will make the offer 5k off a new VW and a trade in is the buy back.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 20, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Do they actually have a mechanical fix or are they going to be forced to buy them all back?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

daslog posted:

Do they actually have a mechanical fix or are they going to be forced to buy them all back?
Nobody knows. There may be some actual factual news released tomorrow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

daslog posted:

They probably have a fix its just not one that the Govt is willing to sign off on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
From ars technica:

quote:

"VW will pay cash compensation to owners who either sell their vehicles back or get them fixed,” Reuters reported. "Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015."

Cash on top of buyback? Don't stop I'm almost there

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The article I read (which I'm sure is just as speculative as all of them) pointed out that the $1B covers about $1.3k per car, so the assumption is that the newer ones will get a combination of software patch and maybe some modifications.

The interesting curve ball is that even if VW, the layers, and the JD have all agreed the judge still needs to OK it, and there have been cases in the past where judges rejected agreements like this because they let the company off too easy or didn't remedy the situation or didn't make good damage done to consumers etc.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bizwank posted:

I live close to transit, have a 15 minute no-freeway commute and I don't drive much on the weekends. So, I could pick up a $2K beater Corolla and supplement that with car2go/zipcar/Uber, my neighbor's truck, etc. I've got the credit to lease something nice too but I kinda like not having a car payment. Really hinges on the details of the buy-back though, if it even materializes; worst-case scenario I take the $5K, get a tune and some new wheels/tires and drive the hell out of my TDI until the government comes to take it away.

Edit: "Owners are expected to have around two years to decide whether to sell back vehicles or get them repaired."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160420/OEM11/160429980/vw-said-to-pay-u-s-customers-5000-each-in-diesel-settlement

Do what my dad did and lease an e Golf. He got a huge green tax credit and then beat them down on the price so he's pretty much got a free car for the next 3 years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

From ars technica:

Cash on top of buyback? Don't stop I'm almost there

I've seen some speculation that miles and condition may not have much if any impact on the buyback price either. If so, :awesome:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Wife and I have 2 of the affected cars. Really putting us in an interesting spot...

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

fknlo posted:

I've seen some speculation that miles and condition may not have much if any impact on the buyback price either. If so, :awesome:

Agreed... we have over 100k on a 2012 Jetta.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

lightpole posted:

Do what my dad did and lease an e Golf. He got a huge green tax credit and then beat them down on the price so he's pretty much got a free car for the next 3 years.

I thought about that option, but for some stupid reason they won't sell me an egolf despite living in Seattle, were everyone has an electric car or hybrid. If the buyback actually goes through, I will probably get rid of my TDI and lease an i3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think they are a little hard to find. They had to ship it from Fresno to SF for him.

He's really happy with it though and drives it under almost the exact same conditions you would. He says he can push the charge to about 100 miles if he tries.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 21, 2016