Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

lightpole posted:

I think they are a little hard to find. They had to ship it from Fresno to SF for him.

He's really happy with it though and drives it under almost the exact same conditions you would. He says he can push the charge to about 100 miles if he tries.

I'm sure they are hard to find, but they also only sell them in certain states:

vw.com posted:

Sorry, the e-Golf will be available only at participating dealers in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, DC.

I really don't get why they won't sell them in Washington. I swear at least half the newer cars on the road are electric or hybrid. Model S's are so common I've stopped even noticing them. Granted a all electric vw kinda terrifies me, but it's one of the only electric cars that just looks like a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Oh man that sucks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Out of curiosity, how reliable are the DSG transmissions in a 2012 era Audi a3 TDI wagon? I've been looking at TDI's again for commuting and that model caught my eye.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Out of curiosity, how reliable are the DSG transmissions in a 2012 era Audi a3 TDI wagon? I've been looking at TDI's again for commuting and that model caught my eye.

If the fluid was filled/changed on time? Great. I'm willing to bet it was not...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

If the fluid was filled/changed on time? Great. I'm willing to bet it was not...

What is the fluid change interval? The one I'm looking at has roughly 46k miles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
40k interval

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My mechanic buddy jokes about how that DSG fluid must last forever because 90% of his customers aren't willing to pay for that 40k service

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
In regards to DSG, if it won't reverse on the first try, shutting down the car will reset it! Just ask my wife! Just make sure you tell the valet that trick too.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So it looks like there was a settlement, and I think they are buying back the TDIs:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/04/21/volkswagen-emissions-hearing/83332794/

Important bit, there are now gag orders on what exactly the settlement is, and there is a definite grain of truth to the amounts that leaked out yesterday, as the judge chastised the room for leaks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sounds fun. So basically change fluid immediately. If the DSG fluid is changed every 40k, how many miles do they last on average?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Even with fluid changes, it is still a toss up. After all the research I did, they will fail when they feel like it. No one posts on the internet when they aren't breaking. So who knows how many people have driven then over 200k yet without anything major happening. Clutch packs are the most common issue I've read. And that's what my wife needs replaced on her TDI.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So buy all the tdis i can right now?

Is it gonna be like the apple beats pill recall where people were buying up every used one they could find for a guarenteed $250 check from apple each.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Sounds fun. So basically change fluid immediately. If the DSG fluid is changed every 40k, how many miles do they last on average?

I tell everyone who asks me about them to have it changed ASAP and then have it checked as frequently as possible.

alternate.eago posted:

So it looks like there was a settlement, and I think they are buying back the TDIs:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/04/21/volkswagen-emissions-hearing/83332794/

Important bit, there are now gag orders on what exactly the settlement is, and there is a definite grain of truth to the amounts that leaked out yesterday, as the judge chastised the room for leaks.

Welp, color me wrong. They are doing a buyback. That's gonna sting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

So buy all the tdis i can right now?

Is it gonna be like the apple beats pill recall where people were buying up every used one they could find for a guarenteed $250 check from apple each.

You might have to prove ownership before a certain date. Or maybe not.

I wonder what percentage of the money they give out will go right back to them in new car purchases?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kramdar posted:

Even with fluid changes, it is still a toss up. After all the research I did, they will fail when they feel like it. No one posts on the internet when they aren't breaking. So who knows how many people have driven then over 200k yet without anything major happening. Clutch packs are the most common issue I've read. And that's what my wife needs replaced on her TDI.

Is the DSG like a normal automatic transmission where it is a wash to just let it go all the way because maintenance involves replacing everything anyway or is it more like a manual where you should do a teardown at the first clunk to keep from needing to replace the expensive gears?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

According to that USA Today article, VW has until June 21st to file a preliminary proposal. At this rate, even if there is a buyback, it won't be happening until the end of this year, or early next year.

If yesterday's rumors are true that the buyback amount will be at the pre-scandal numbers, then driving my car for essentially free for the next half year isn't so bad. I just wish they would hurry up a little. My wife needs to replace her car in the not too distant future, but we are waiting to see if we need to buy 2 new cars.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Is the DSG like a normal automatic transmission where it is a wash to just let it go all the way because maintenance involves replacing everything anyway or is it more like a manual where you should do a teardown at the first clunk to keep from needing to replace the expensive gears?

It's the first option based on my estimates. Dealer said clutch pack was $2100 for the part alone, so $3000 with labor. A VW independent mechanic told me that they have no technicians at the dealers qualified to work on them, so they must be doing a full swap of the guts. Another independent VW mechanic said to do the fly wheel at the same time, but his parts costs for both clutch pack and fly wheel were more like ~$1500 total I believe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how far did yours make it before making GBS threads the bed?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I haven't had any DSG issues with my 2010 Golf TDI. I'm at 87k miles, had it since 45k. I changed the DSG fluid myself at 46k and then used the dealer GC to have it changed at 85k.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

how far did yours make it before making GBS threads the bed?

MIL light came on around 80k, but here we are at 105K and it's still hanging in there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Says that it doesn't include the 3L and they havent decided what to do with those. This is starting to get annoying

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't understand how the buyback program works, have those details not been leaked yet? Are they just buying back for retail on all the 2.0L engines or is it more complicated than that?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't understand how the buyback program works, have those details not been leaked yet? Are they just buying back for retail on all the 2.0L engines or is it more complicated than that?

Nah, they'll basically work out a pre-scandal value on everything and go from there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's sounds like some may have a fix and you'll be able to choose to get it fixed (if available) or do the buyback.

If they are offering the buyback as an alternative to the fix, the fix must nerf the car pretty badly. I doubt they are expecting many to take the fix.

What happens if the owner chooses nether is up in the air at this point. It's possible that some states may refuse to put an emissions sticker on a car that hasn't or can't be fixed. So, all but die hard owners in areas that don't do emissions may be the only ones that choose to do nothing.

The VW TDI is likely to become a very rare thing.

We also don't know what will happen to all the cars that have been bought back. If they are fixable, it's possible they may do the fix and resell them if they are allowed.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 22, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

That seems like a pretty palatable solution for VW owners then. Are you TDI owners happy with that?

I'm guessing TDIs end up in latin america/africa like all undesirable but functional used cars seem to.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

That seems like a pretty palatable solution for VW owners then. Are you TDI owners happy with that?

I'm guessing TDIs end up in latin america/africa like all undesirable but functional used cars seem to.

I'm not sure, but if it's pre scandal + $5k I'll probably take it since that would mean they paid us about a grand to drive for 3 years. But then I have to replace it and it's the perfect car for my wife's 100 mile per day commute. We'll probably get a 2013+ Accord if that's what it comes to.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Audi MMI adapters for a 2011 Q7. My wife has an iPhone 6s, I have an android.

I see one with a lightning cable + aux cable attachment. I see one that's MMI to female USB. Will the latter work with a regular lightning cable, or will it not have sound? She's the primary driver, so I don't mind my phone not having the bells and whistles of full integration, but I need her iphone to work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now that the settlement is finalized, VW is reporting financial results.

The scandal is costing them $18.2 billion and resulted in a $4.6 billion operating loss for 2015.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm not sure, but if it's pre scandal + $5k I'll probably take it since that would mean they paid us about a grand to drive for 3 years. But then I have to replace it and it's the perfect car for my wife's 100 mile per day commute. We'll probably get a 2013+ Accord if that's what it comes to.

I'm in more or less the same boat, right down to getting a Honda as a replacement.

The numbers get a little wonkier when you factor in financing and the interest you paid etc, but my wife and I did the math and even with that it's still basically a really cheap 3 year lease.

That said, that math is assuming pre-scandal KBB + $5k, so the real math could end up a lot different.

I can't say I'm happy with it (I hate shopping for cars and would much prefer if the car I bought was what I thought it was), but it's a good deal.

Actually, given that the loving transmission blew at 23k miles I'm probably glad I'm getting out from under it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I figure if we can dump the car in september-ish time frame and get the pre-scandal value of 21k + TBD penalty fee I'll be sitting pretty with 12-15k cash and a burning desire for a Focus RS.

Sell my track e30 and get my wife to drive the 330i

:getin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I wouldn't be counting on an extra $5k above the pre-scandal value. The various leaked reports did not seem to confirm that number. One of the reports from Thirsday said it was $1 billion in total compensation above the buyback amount which averages in the neighborhood of $2000 a vehicle.

I would have to imagine the extra compensation will have to be on a sliding scale. i would have to imagine that an 8 year old TDI golf will get less bonus money than a 1 year old TDI Passat. But I am not counting on anything until I see a formal offer from VW.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Now that the settlement is finalized, VW is reporting financial results.

The scandal is costing them $18.2 billion and resulted in a $4.6 billion operating loss for 2015.

Shows you how amazingly profitable VW is otherwise.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Shows you how amazingly profitable VW is otherwise.

Well Porsche does offer such things as $2,500 leather on the air vents.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bovril Delight posted:

Well Porsche does offer such things as $2,500 leather on the air vents.

God bless Porsche SUV buyers

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

raej posted:

Audi MMI adapters for a 2011 Q7. My wife has an iPhone 6s, I have an android.

I see one with a lightning cable + aux cable attachment. I see one that's MMI to female USB. Will the latter work with a regular lightning cable, or will it not have sound? She's the primary driver, so I don't mind my phone not having the bells and whistles of full integration, but I need her iphone to work.

Does the 2011 have Bluetooth that is an option?
Skip the cables?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

I figure if we can dump the car in september-ish time frame and get the pre-scandal value of 21k + TBD penalty fee I'll be sitting pretty with 12-15k cash and a burning desire for a Focus RS.

Sell my track e30 and get my wife to drive the 330i

:getin:

You're going to PM me if that E30 goes up for sale. For serious.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 23, 2016

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

Krime posted:

Does the 2011 have Bluetooth that is an option?
Skip the cables?

Bluetooth connects for hands-free. The cable will charge and also provide media playback which is why I'm interested

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

My 2009 Jetta Sportwagen has been a dream so far, with no major mechanical issues. Let's pretend that emissions thing isn't happening.

Yesterday evening I started up my car on a colder day, and as I drove out of the parking lot and to home I noticed a heavy puck/thud sound coming from the rear driver side area. It almost sounds like someone is hitting a kick drum.

It seems to make the sound once every three to ten seconds. It happens more at low speeds than high speeds, and it happens more during/immediately after turns than when I'm just going straight. If I stop my car and rock it side to side I can hear the sound once usually. The noise doesn't seem correlated with RPMs.

I thought it might be a CV joint, but the noise is very intermittent compared to most of the sound clips on youtube.

I'm leaning towards checking for scalloping on the tires and having them rotated. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just got an email from the local VW dealer saying that if you use the $500 goodwill gift card on a new car, they will give you a bonus $500 off the car. Woo!

Seems kind of stupid to be buying a new car now instead of waiting for the buyback to go through, but I don't have a TDI, so who am I to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll sell you my VW gift card for 499 + free shipping!