Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A BUT... I don't want to use up our crumbs anymore!

Get back to our body!!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
C

Stupid weight ain't the boss of me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

poo poo! The weight is the crown. And it's some kind of hive mind device. The hivemind is why the baby kobold was so intelligent. Don't mess with this! Get back to our body

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

poo poo! The weight is the crown. And it's some kind of hive mind device. The hivemind is why the baby kobold was so intelligent. Don't mess with this! Get back to our body

Makes sense and I changed my vote. :tinfoil:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, back to the body. When we get asked, just say the crown seems possessed by things that want to merge with people so we've got to put it away and not touch it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Poke the kobold-ghost hivemind.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Back to our body it is, we need our crumbs, for reasons.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I feel we should eat the crown.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Crown hypothesis seems sensible.

Abort mission!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Weight and the Wisps

You stand a moment afore the wisps, the thrumming of the weight the rhythm of the room at large. The strange lights come and go, and at your hesitation one of the three that had approached slink away to join its brethren.
But as you stand there, ghostly mouth agape at the wonders before you a seed of doubt sprouts in your mind.

These motes, this hoarded hive, the vortexes of dread... don't they all compare just so, to scenes you have espied in the waking world?

The words of dead king Egg echo in your mind, as you slowly realize the gravity of the situation. You are metaphorical inches away from falling to the most insidious Kobold-trap yet; that of the mind.

You shake yourself from the decision; you will not consider the Weighted Proposal, will not allow yourself further into the senseless schemes of superseded saurian sovereigns.
You square yourself against the lure and push; falling back and up to whence thou came – letting the gentle tug of your astral cord guide you to your body.

You awaken some time later, surrounded by no one in the chill of morn'.
Around thy no longer slumbering persona lies the remnants of your sudden snack; the wrapper from your delicate anaesthetic flower filled muffin where not a trace of the bake-ed good remains.
Your pack contains all what it once did, but you take care to quickly re-arrange it, wrapping the Kobold Crown in layers of fabric, intent to throw it in with all the other piles of loot and garbage which you aspire bring to Grüw.

For away you must; this cave holds nothing more. You find your companions and make quick the last of the busywork, loading all the detritus of combat onto your wagon and making what comforts you can for those not able to ride on their own.

---

Not long into the journey, Ragnar rides up beside you and begs a moment of your time.

“Mr. Projection! I wanted to thank you again for the timely rescue! But then again it was inevitable, was it not, that fate should see me through yet again? A kind but fickle mistress that dread goddess of whom the clergy dare not speak! Ha ha!"

"Ah, but I digress – this is no matter of personal theology but rather the serious complications of bureaucracy. For you see we are both under contract to bring an end to the troubles of the mine; The team I led came before thine slew many a scalie beast before succumbing to that deadly rockslide.
I reckon even with thy strength and skill you would not have lasted long had you faced the likes of 'Egg' in its prime – cutting it down as you did when but a hatchling."

"But fair is fair; You did what we could not. You slew the last of them and so with gusto! With a little help from yours truly of course."

"With but two members of my company alive, the lions share would go to Ragnar! But your guild lay likewise claim. I propose a deal: we strike an even fifty split – half the geld to yours and all the plunder. You may even keep this ill fitting amalgamation 'pon my form, for whilst it is jest to behold I doubt it will cover me much further."

"As to the fame and glory? Side by side we fought, so shall the sagas ever say of us, I will hear no different."

---

1: It looks like Ragnar wants to split the reward (whatever it ends up being) 50-50 with ITEC. He is offering to waive his salvagers rights in favour of yours however, as payback for the rescue.
With most of your life spent knee deep in the economic side of the bureaucracy you realize that this isn't actually that bad of a deal; his company got to the site first and was there when the final blow was struck.
If he is under contract (and by all rights he should be) that gives him equal claim to the quest, if not moreso for getting there earlier.

The situation isn't all that common however – monster hunting being a dangerous enough profession without constant competition to mangle the profit margins – you might stand a chance should you wish to bring a case to court.
However such an action would obviously burn any bridges you wish to build with the mercenary before you and would in all probability be a long and drawn out affair. If you wish to receive your payment quickly, taking the offer or haggling for better terms would be your best bet.
You may ask Ragnar any question you desire, normal CYOA question rules apply.

A: Accept his deal.
ITEC will get 50% of the Chamberlains reward and 100% of the loot (or well, whatever % of the loot is yours to keep.)

B: Haggle.
What % are you aiming at and what reasoning will you employ?

C: Take the matter to court.
You wont receive ANY reward until the matter is settled. This will take months, and there is a chance that you'd lose.

D: Something else?

---

2: You have a crate full of Kobold Eggs. Do you take any extra steps to secure them?
Currently, Big Kate is secured to your supply-wagon (cushioned by dozens of Kobold corpses) and under constant Vigil by your cousin, Kvelar.

E: Smashmouth eat the eggs.

F: Keep things as they are.

G: Something else?

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good. The mood is weary, but triumphant.
You are somewhat hurt. You are rested. You are not hungry. Your armour has been pierced by claw and javelin and but you are no longer bleeding. Your side hurts. Your shoulder smarts.
[You feel weird.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.] [You feel pressed for time.] You are weary.

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: … *is unconscious*
Tommy: “Ragnar knows his way around a fight, make no mistake. He accomplished much today with very little. Could do with the likes of him to teach us what your cousin can't.”
Kvelar: “Lets hope the Yetis are late risers eh? Wouldn't want another scrap today.”
Abigail: … *is unconscious*
Khami: “With such a load of goods on our wagon, let nothing hinder our progress. No larger target can you present, than being both fully-laden and lolly-gagging.”
Johakim: “Glad to be on the road again, the sooner we get to Grüw the better.”
Skvababt: “Such excitement pleases me greatly Mr. Thorgrim. Would that every day be as eventful. Mhmm.”

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. They can keep their salvage rights if they join on at a discount for a few months. They would likely make much more money joining up with us than they would if we left them be.

2. Smash them

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

An expert employee with no reason to begrudge us is worth more than whatever we'd get by haggling, and our Economic Senses tell us he's not fleecing us. I say:
1. Take his offer.
As for Big Kate... well, I don't think we can get much use out of those. Maybe keep them until we're in the city, then ask around, see if there are any alchemists that would be interested in those? If they give the slightest hint of hatching though, smash them on the spot. We don't want to be the company that brought a plague of kobolds right beyond the city gates.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

1. A
2. F
Don't destroy the evidence!!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

1. A
2. F

Propose hiring him for our company. He seems used to be the leader, but he may appreciate the opportunity to get back in business quickly without needing to gather a group. If not as a member, we could use a few fighting lessons.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nemo posted:

1. A
2. F

Propose hiring him for our company. He seems used to be the leader, but he may appreciate the opportunity to get back in business quickly without needing to gather a group. If not as a member, we could use a few fighting lessons.

All This. Get him and the gnome on board. Demand more FOOF

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A simple matter of payment.

You take some time to work on the minor details with Ragnar. His claim is ironclad and the deal is fair, so you co-sign a one-time cooperation contract and deal with all the other paperwork required to get the legalities of your most recent mission dealt with.
You consider broaching the possibility of a mutually beneficial future but decide to delay it until you are all more rested and have your other affairs settled first.

The rest of the trip is mostly uneventful. A snowstorm picks up a few hours in and at one point you think you see shapes in the gloom that surrounds your path, vaguely human-shaped, if larger.
The shapes seem content to observe your heavily armed group and do not engage. You press on.

Grüw
Month 2, week three, day six.
Mid-Day

At mid-day your convoy reaches the outskirts of Grüw to minor commotion, the city-gates open up well before your proximity demands it and several curious inhabitants peek their heads through windows and doorways as you pass, headed for the Castle.
Again your arrival is heralded to the sound of trumpet, as is Ragnars and it does not take long until you are brought before the Chamberlain in a side-office adjacent to the main banquet hall.

“Tell me I have one less headache to deal with.” he begins, his demeanour all business, his words leaving no space for pleasantries. You acquiesce, summarizing the tale of your endeavours in the mine. Where appropriate, Ragnar fills in with the exploits of his own crew.
At the end of the presentation, Ragnar hands the chamberlain a small tome that he must have kept somewhere on his person which the Chamberlain readily accepts.
For your own part, you hand him the shipping documents you found on 'Big Kate' explaining at brief the significance of its subject matter.

You can see a vein in his forehead bulge under the pressure of unsettling information and he brings a hand to his temples and then further down to rub the bridge of his nose.

“Thank you.” He says. “The treasury is strained to the breaking point you understand, with the mine having been inoperational for so long, the Yeti attacks and everything else that is going on...” a dreadful pause
“... but you have been most helpful, even going so far as to salvaging equipment that would otherwise have been lost. Securing the source of the infestation, making sure the machinery of the mine did not go haywire.
Even, if I understand things correctly, clearing up most of the traps. And without blowing everything up. I would commend you, but it is not within my right, and the Lord of the Manor is still... occupied.

“And these...” Putting his hand on the tome and stack of shipping papers in front of him.
“... are invaluable. If I had a team only half as useful as yours we wouldn't have nearly as many problems around here.”

“Now, to the matter of payment.” “For the completion of the mission, The State of Grüw owes you the full sum of [010 wealth] for services rendered, an additional [08 wealth] bonus for exceptional conduct. However...”

You tally the final sum in your mind. With all the extra gear you brought with you for sale that is a full [020 wealth]. The mere thought of that much money is enough to make Konnie, still unconscious, foam at the mouth.
To put it in some sort of context, it is enough to keep a person of means going for well over a year and a half with all the luxuries of life at their disposal, without any sort of gainful employ.
Properly managed and with some side-income to draw things out, a commoner might live a decade on the spoils of this one-day accomplishment.

But of course, you are not a commoner. You have bills to pay, a mercenary to share it with, mouths to feed and wounds to heal. Not to mention that lingering however.

1: … “The coffers are strained. Whilst we could part with the money, and of course will if such is your desire, perhaps we can come to some other arrangement?”
“The armoury has a fine selection of arms and armour, and Grüw has many fine craftsdwarves to it's name besides. What say you?”

Ragnar immediately accepts the offer on behalf of his 'group', reasoning that he would have just used the money to buy new gear anyway since the Kobolds stole all of his old stuff. You decide to...

A: Follow suit.
The [09] wealth would translate into into some very high quality gear for one of your number (especially with the Lords Armoury at your disposal and the Chamberlain probably looking the other way should you go ever so slightly over budget) or some mid-tier gear for several of you.
If A wins we will have a separate armoury-vote to decide exactly what this entails.

B: Decline.
That wealth is needed for upkeep, debt and salaries! The economic Peace of Mind it would bring you far outweighs the safety of your comrades-in-arms.

C: Something else?
The Chamberlain seems to hold a lot of sway in these parts, perhaps there is something else he could provide for you in lieu of cashmoney?

[Bonus Accounting Information]
You have [07 Wealth] to your name.
You have [02 wealth] in salvage to sell at your earliest convenience.
You are being offered a reward of [018 wealth] half of which will go to Ragnar for a total of [09 wealth]
You owe [013 Wealth] in salaries and upkeep by the end of the month.
The date is currently month 2, week three, day six meaning you have one week and one day until the deadline.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

C - we need at least half of it in cash/coin so we can pay our men - UNLESS the group agrees to be paid in new armor and weapons. We need to talk to them.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

C. Allow our group members the chance to use their salary to get something from here. Maybe the items offered aren't easily obtained.

How is the matter of rent going to be handled? We are probably not going to be in *home city* for at least 2 weeks, if we choose to obey that prophetic vision or whatever. How much of the 13 wealth is going to salaries? I'm thinking keep enough for rent (in case we don't come by another mission before we return), spend the rest on equipment.

Let's not forget that we have 3 owl bear cubs, which would probably net us an extra 3 wealth. Fair assessment?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Voting to hug owlbears :3:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Voting to coldly look at owlbears, calculating if it would be more profitable to sell them while still alive or if we should skin them first.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hollylolly posted:

Voting to hug owlbears :3:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hollylolly posted:

C - we need at least half of it in cash/coin so we can pay our men - UNLESS the group agrees to be paid in new armor and weapons. We need to talk to them.
Yeah, we need at least 4 or 5 wealth in cash unless other arrangements can be made. C.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Guild Economics 101

hollylolly posted:

... we need at least half of it in cash/coin so we can pay our men - UNLESS the group agrees to be paid in new armor and weapons. We need to talk to them.

Mr. Nemo posted:

... Allow our group members the chance to use their salary to get something from here. Maybe the items offered aren't easily obtained.

You have yet to pay them any salary.
However, this question came up during your previous stay in Grüw, was voted on and a precedent set.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

This is a popular vote this round so I want to address an issue with it.
One of the many perks of running your own guild is that you can throw around much larger resources than a single individual could hope to obtain, at least quickly.
The salaries you pay (will pay) your men go mostly to the costs of living, perhaps some spare utilities and entertainment, and is in any case theirs to spend as they wish.
They might choose to save up for a big specialized purchase but this will probably take a while or need higher wages to occur with any regularity.

Consider the following: Konnie has been working and fighting for you for two months, risking his life on several occasions.
Buying a new pair of decent daggers would cost him everything he has yet to get from you, and more if his tastes are any indication, leaving him with a net gain of nothing for two months of high-risk work.
Is this a precedent you want to set?

Most of your recruits thus far have come with their own equipment, it's true, and that trend is likely to continue as you have to offer something to be a viable candidate.
But it is safe to assume that they expect the Guild to provide for them the tools they need to get the job done, beyond what they bring with them themselves.

TL/DR: It is your job as a Guild Leader to provide your recruits with equipment. Salaries usually go to entertainment, upkeep, savings and other costs-of-living with the ratioes determined by the whims of the individual.

---

Mr. Nemo posted:

How is the matter of rent going to be handled? We are probably not going to be in *home city* for at least 2 weeks, if we choose to obey that prophetic vision or whatever. How much of the 13 wealth is going to salaries?

At the end of the month there will be a large update focused on the budget, as Mr. Ironscript sits down and does all the accounting necessary to keep the Guild running.
The [013] wealth you owe is nearly all salaries, with some minor upkeep costs thrown in. You owe a very very large sum of money to be paid in full at the cusp of the sixth month, repayment of the substantial debt you accrued purchasing your guildhall and license.

---

Mr. Nemo posted:

Let's not forget that we have 3 owl bear cubs, which would probably net us an extra 3 wealth. Fair assessment?

You tried to sell them previously to not much luck. Here are the options again for your perusal

3:
You have decided to put the owlbear cubs up for sale. Whilst not much time has passed, these are the offers you have on hand thus far.
E: You passed a butcher, who offered to take them off your hands for free a free sausage.
F: Following on some previous advice from Skvababt, you enter a leatherworkers shop. The Owlcubs hoot in protest, but you let the Tanner examine them anyway.
In the end she tells you she might be able to turn them from cute, huggable babies into something more useful for a fighter such as yourself for a modest fee of [-02 wealth], such as a “fine quality owlbear hat.”
G: Axi Meyer regards the cubs with interest. She offers one of her inventions in exchange for all of the cubs. [Will lead to new vote]
H: Wait for more offers.
I: Wait for more offers, but send Konnie out to find them. He seems to have a a strange knack for such things.

Konnie later offered to take [01 wealth] and the Owlbear cubs and a day or two of generously donated free time to work out some sort of deal and or manage the sale for you. He seemed pretty keen on the idea.
He could probably still be persuaded to sell them for you, even without the investment, if only he was concious.

---

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We need the wealth right now, especially since we'll have to pay back our loan before long.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Mr. Nemo posted:

Voting to coldly look at owlbears, calculating if it would be more profitable to sell them while still alive or if we should skin them first.

First of all, this :colbert:

Second, I'm thinking C. Roll accountancy to discuss the possibility of the town of Grüw shouldering some of our loan. It does not have to be paid immediately, which would suit their cash problems. Also, since they are not paying us cash like they should be and are making us unduly wait for our reward, we could justly argue that they should shoulder more loan in Wealth than what they actually owe us (ie. we use, say, 4 Wealth of our reward to make them shoulder 6 Wealth from our loan). Also, our lender should be happy with this arrangement since a Town is a much more secure source of monies than some adventurers that might die at any time (which should also translate into us getting more loan shortening done due to more merciful interest rates etc.).

Use our money skills to make a good deal, Thorgrim!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ok ok, changing from C to B. We'll roll the dice on getting money out of this guy for getting rid of the yetis. what prophetic vision? we need money!

Our people also need repairs to existing gear and actual gear (Abigail). This will save us some money in the long run, especially if we - Tell the Chamberlain that we'll accept the equipment in lieu of payment as long as it is at least [011] wealth of equipment. We will then use this to get rid of the yeti problem for him, for which we expect all reward to be in cash.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Theantero posted:

Second, I'm thinking C. Roll accountancy to discuss the possibility of the town of Grüw shouldering some of our loan. It does not have to be paid immediately, which would suit their cash problems. Also, since they are not paying us cash like they should be and are making us unduly wait for our reward, we could justly argue that they should shoulder more loan in Wealth than what they actually owe us (ie. we use, say, 4 Wealth of our reward to make them shoulder 6 Wealth from our loan). Also, our lender should be happy with this arrangement since a Town is a much more secure source of monies than some adventurers that might die at any time (which should also translate into us getting more loan shortening done due to more merciful interest rates etc.).

I can't support this poster's callous attitude towards our murdercubs, but their financial reasoning is sound. Voting for this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A. Use the better gear to hunt yeti for payment

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Something to consider:

quote:

The date is currently month 2, week three, day six meaning you have one week and one day until the deadline
Can we guarantee that we will get rid of the yetis and come back in one week and one day in time to collect payment? I would not bet our employees' paycheck on that, considering the leniency they have already shown in waiting for this.

In fact, I think I will change my vote to C: split the difference: we'll take 6 wealth now and 3 to be invested in equipment. That way we can guarantee that our employees will be paid, even if we decide not to sell our salvaged stuff for whatever reason, the ones in particular need of gear will be equipped and we'll still have eight days to start to build up for our next round of salaries and possible debt repayment.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 28, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Theantero posted:

First of all, this :colbert:

Changing from my previous C vote to this C vote.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On Splitting the Reward

paradoxGentleman posted:

In fact, I think I will change my vote to C: split the difference: we'll take 6 wealth now and 3 to be invested in equipment.

One thing I'd like to point out is that, even if the Chamberlain will be generous with his offer of taking things from the Armoury (and from context you believe he will), gear is rather expensive. You may recall Konnie bought his new set of daggers for [02 wealth], so an investment of [03] would not net you much gear at all, although one or two items of reasonable quality could still be obtained.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

On Splitting the Reward

One thing I'd like to point out is that, even if the Chamberlain will be generous with his offer of taking things from the Armoury (and from context you believe he will), gear is rather expensive. You may recall Konnie bought his new set of daggers for [02 wealth], so an investment of [03] would not net you much gear at all, although one or two items of reasonable quality could still be obtained.

I mantain that this is the right course of action. Paying our employees should be priority number one, equipping the ones that absolutely need to (I believe Abigail?) number two, and doing an admittably minor favor to the Chamberlain while achieving this a distand third.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

How much will healing everyone back to travelling/fighting shape cost us at the Temple?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Right, we even have to pay for the healing of some of our number. And others are lacking gear or otherwise unable to fight. How are we going to deal with the yetis this way? I'd say, take the money, go do the solo/not full group "Prophetic Vision" side quest, return and join with the newly healed group, expend all new/not spent money on equipment on Grüw or other nearby town, and then go kill the yetis.

So, for this vote B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Hmm, I voted B when I meant A but now I want to change to B....so I'll keep it as is. Mr. Nemo makes sense.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Toughy posted:

How much will healing everyone back to travelling/fighting shape cost us at the Temple?

This sounds like a good idea for something we could ask for in place of money, if it can be done quickly.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Right, we even have to pay for the healing of some of our number. And others are lacking gear or otherwise unable to fight. How are we going to deal with the yetis this way? I'd say, take the money, go do the solo/not full group "Prophetic Vision" side quest, return and join with the newly healed group, expend all new/not spent money on equipment on Grüw or other nearby town, and then go kill the yetis.

So, for this vote B

I like most of this plan. I don't think we need to kill all the yeti's though

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Chamberlains Quarters.

You politely decline his offer. The Chamberlain makes the barest of nods, his unchanging face masking all emotion inside. “Very well.” He says, and orders a servant to deal with the logistics of monetary compensation.
Ragnar leaves your party at this juncture, having accepted the deal and thus being privy to the contents of the armoury, wheretoo he is led by another of the manors many employees.

Before you part however, you make sure to arrange a meeting back at the tavern for later in the day.

What follows is a few hours of mundane busywork; the restocking of minor supplies, organizing the sale of unusable salvage and delivering the Death Certificates to the proper authorities.

---

Grüws Chapel of Toil is a far cry from the quaint pastoral affair housing the congregation of Sockne. In that tiny village, most of the citizenry were farmers, content to work their own lots.
Not so for the city: those who do not work the mines or in the market, indeed all those people who are not otherwise occupied labour in the complex that is colloquially known as the Holy Factory.

Conditions here are much as you expect; backbreaking labour in the service of the Empire. Most people here are far too occupied to stay and chat with you, which makes finding the foreman head priest a chore.
When you finally DO find him you are disappointed to learn that no healing miracles have been scheduled, and that fitting one in at such short notice is impossible.
When you try to explain your Holy Purpose the priest merely nods at you, as if to say “yes that's right, so why don't you get on with it?”

Dismayed, you decide to instead check the market since they usually double as temples to Quackeen, even if cities formally dedicated to other deities.

The market is a place that you would like to call bustling, but only if the word included provisions for most of the people involved sluggishly milling about, insomnia apparent on their tired faces. Here and there a market stall offers you a view into a microcosm of the local economy.
Having worked for the Ministry of Trade you can see the telltale signs of diminishing trade all around you. Sure, there are fabulous goat-cheeses and many goods of varying quality of silver, but imported goods are at an all time low.
Sadly the only waterfowl about are of the non sentient variety, live-geese sold for whatever purpose such creatures can ever be sold for. Not to be defeated, you ask a random passer-by if xie knows any Quackinites nearby.
“Oh yes.” xie replies, “there’s a Quackieknight who rode in but a few days ago, hailing from far-off Karg if I recall correctly. You can find 'im yonder, just follow the scent of gold!”

You sniff the air. Ah, of course. You must have been too preoccupied to notice.

You follow that lustrous fragrance to its solid but unexpected source, the cart of a donkey; next to which a cheerful dwarf is haggling with a citizen about some trifling matter. You wait your turn and approach him.

“Why hullo there! What can I do for you?”

1:
You explain your conundrum; a party of mercenaries, battered and bruised with a few in need of serious medical attention, with no temple willing to aid you in sight. You are asked as to the extent of your injuries and Johakim butts in, providing the dwarf with all the relevant details.
Vote for any combination of letters

A: For the tending of all your minor injuries and ailments, [01 wealth] would be required.
B: To fully recover Konnie, an additional [01 wealth] and a day or two of bed-rest.
C: To fully recover Abigail, whose arm is most definitely broken, [02 wealth] and a good nights rest should do.
D: Decline, you will let natural rest and time-off do the healing for you. Note that should you choose this option Konnie will be unavailable for missions for the coming ??? weeks, as will Abigail. (Although she will probably try to join you anyway.)

[Bonus Accounting Information]
You have [18 Wealth] to your name.
The date is currently month 2, week three, day six meaning you have one week and one day until the deadline.

--

Sometime later you return to the tavern and you quickly find Ragnar accompanied by Axi Meyer (the gnomish tinkerer from earlier) chowing down on a lavish meal.
Ragnar waves you over and soon all the waking members of ITEC join you as well. The mood is mostly jovial, for even if many of their companions perished during the assault at the mines their duty was completed and a large sum of money was obtained.

Indeed, the nonchalance of Axi Meyer is typical of Gnomes. Where any other species would, when faced with an industrial accident; lament the loss of a valued member, a gnome would happily state that at least there are a dozen left.
As for Ragnar, well, he hardly knew them to begin with, being a hired on mercenary. Such tragedies are just the realities of his line of work.

2: For some time now you have been considering Ragnars potential for furthering the interests of ITEC in general. A skilled combatant such as he could be just the edge you need to make your company a fighting force to be reckoned with.
Currently training is being overseen by Kvelar, but he relies mostly on his own experience as an axe-wielding adventurer and not on the vast and varied experience of a former member of the Imperial Militia of which Ragnar can boast.
With him at your side, a world of possibilities open up, beyond just having another front-line fighter. Yet such an opportunity probably comes at a cost.
You could attempt to hire him on temporally, although such a contract would only really be useful for teaching some specific skill or for bolstering your ranks for a particularly tough mission.
True strength in combat comes from working together as a team; the more time your troops spend and train together the better they will perform. Do you wish to attempt to hire Ragnar?

E: Yes!
But in what capacity, and what exactly are you offering? For references sake you are paying your current recruits a salary of [01 wealth] per month – but they are not professional soldiers.

F: No!

---

3: Axi Meyer is at the table. With most of her company gone you suppose she might soon be looking for more work again. You recall from months ago that she wanted a room to herself and to be kept off of field duty and she is presumably sticking to those terms no matter what. Do you wish to attempt to hire her?

G: Yes
Again, what are you offering?

H: No

---

4: The missions is (finally) over.
As the celebrations continue well into the night, you consider all that has occurred. Did everything go as planned? Did all perform their duties? What do you think went well, and what could have been done better? Did anyone in particular stand out? If so, what do you want to say to them?

I: Write-in.
Be it praise or scolding, what do you say to the gathered members of ITEC?

---

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: … zzZZzzzz stupid owlbears kobolds... zzzZzz
Tommy: “Best not let the opportunity pass you by, Boss. Get Ragnar on the team, whatever it takes. Come the morrow he will be gone.”
Kvelar: “That Quackeen merchant travelled here from Karg, with such a plethora of riches? All alone with but a donkey? Mark me words cousin, he is more dangerous than he lets on.”
Abigail: “When are we fighting the Yetis? I bet I can take one down on my own!”
Khami: “As they say in my ancient homelands, it is better to have a camel as your carvan leader, than to have a caravan leader without any camels!”
Johakim: “If we must face more combat so soon, I'd prefer it if you found us some better protection. I don't fancy seein' my brothers in a like state again, let me tell you!” “And poor Abigail! At least get her some decent armour! Not that bog-standard surplus stuff!”
Skvababt: “Oh how I long to return to return to Braav, Mr. Ironscript. Mhm, all that leather, just waiting to be moulded by my hands. Mhm. But of course, I'll follow you anywhere.”

Ragnar, Axi and the Dwarven Quackeen-Merchant are all available for questioning. Normal rules apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

B
C

Our wounds are quite minor right? After a few days of not doing anything very physical we should be back to 100%, right? Or dow e have a wound that requires medical care?

2. Full team member. He fights with us, and he helps us train. (I'm thinking 2 wealth?)

3. I don't feel like paying 1 wealth for her services. We should try to arrange a system where we give her first pick of our spoils, and she provides us with healing potions and other inventions at a discount price or something? But that would end up costing us more than 1 wealth! Stupid idea.

Hire the drat gnome.

4. We kicked rear end everyone! Next round's on me! Skavbat, you knew we were going to a mine, perhaps you could've let us know a bit earlier about your condition? Still, exceptional work before going down, and in the "interrogation". Abigail, a dead enthusiastic party member isn't much help. Next time you may get yourself killed.

I know I only said bad stuff about the women, but I can't really remember anything good or bad about the other team members.