Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Fhate posted:

I suspect the reason they didn't have Ned and Arthur Dayne fighting with great swords is likely due to the fact that realistic, metal great swords are quite massive, making them fairly dangerous even when blunt. In order to make them safe for the actors to use, they'd probably have to be so flexible they'd look completely ridiculous or have them never actually clash. I mean, it's certainly possible to accomplish a scene with realistic great sword vs. great sword action, it would just be difficult, time consuming and probably pretty dangerous. They did have the mountain wielding a pretty drat big sword when he fought Oberyn, but banging a spear point against one is probably safer than banging an equally heavy blade against it.

Or they just didn't want to for whatever reason. It's a crying shame, because a duel between Ice and Dawn could have looked spectacular.

You're talking about maintaining a sense of realism in a fight scene where a guy wields two equal length longswords and twirls them like loving batons.

This is a joke, right?

No one could really be so daft that they're unable to see that changes to details like this are there to make book nerds froth and draw more attention to a show where the only priority is to pocket as much money as possible from its overinflated budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's silly to use a magic sword that can cut through anything in a fight.

- me, an idiot

It's also silly to expect actors to engage in violent swordfights. That's impossible.

- also me, an idiot who's never seen a movie made in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, or Die Another Day

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Looking back at the Brienne-Hound fight, the sword part is okay but not great but the brawl is pretty vicious.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's silly to use a magic sword that can cut through anything in a fight.

- me, an idiot

It's also silly to expect actors to engage in violent swordfights. That's impossible.

- also me, an idiot who's never seen a movie made in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, Korea, or Die Another Day

my point was less about it being a magic sword (the characters dont even know its magic just that its a special type of steel) and more about it being a priceless ancestral artifact.

Like, if I had a priceless one of a kind Ferrari that can never be duplicated, I wouldnt race it just because its faster than my opponent's racecar. Obviously a sword fight is a matter of survival, but I juat have a different opinion regarding collectibles.

Sure Ned returned Dawn to the Dayne family but really nobody elae would have. Ice was not only stolen by the Lannisters but loving melted. Why did Ned even have it in King's Landing. It should have been in Winterfell.

whatever, I guess its "cooler" to fight with a gigantic magic sword. gently caress me, right?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It was also legendary and famous because his ancestors actually used it in a lot of important battles. I´d imagine defending your prince´s son as a member of the Kinsgguard against traitors would rank pretty high.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Is that seriously the argument people are going with? Dayne, The Sword of the Morning, didn't use his fantastic impossibly sharp and durable sword which was the basis of his title because he was worried it was going to be damaged? In a scenario where he was planning to fight to the death?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Plucky Brit posted:

After the way they botched Tyrion's final scenes with Jamie and Tywin

what

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Besides, don't you remember Dick Crabb's message to Brienne? "Shoulda used your magic sword" having a magic sword and not using it in situations where it could save your life is silly.

The wisest man in Westeros.

:rip: Nimble Dick :rip:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

I'm assuming he means that the whole Tysha thing was cut out, and Tyrion murdering his father and mistress was kind of whitewashed from the show.

E: That reminds me - They're really loving up Jaime's arc in the show. Shouldn't he be pissed that his sister/girlfriend was banging their cousin on the side? Also, Dorne.

E2: And the whole "raping Cersei on the sept" thing.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 10, 2016

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

TommyGun85 posted:

whatever, I guess its "cooler" to fight with a gigantic magic sword. gently caress me, right?

Yep, and yep.

It's a fantasy story and he has a magic ancestral sword. Even if it was something like his dad's watch that he only wears on special occasions, this is literally the special occasion for your dad's magic sword. If Ned was ever going to throw down with Ice that was the time.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

Is that seriously the argument people are going with? Dayne, The Sword of the Morning, didn't use his fantastic impossibly sharp and durable sword which was the basis of his title because he was worried it was going to be damaged? In a scenario where he was planning to fight to the death?

not every discussion is an argument, relax.

e: and once again, my thought was less about it being practical or even useful or becoming damaged and more about his priceless family artifact being lost to his family forever because he died on a battlefield with it.

I would imagine such a thing to be considered more as a priceless valuablable instead of just a really good useful sword.

anyway, im in the clear minority so whatever, im cool with it.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 10, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah mug as the toj fight was mediocre it was still better than the godawful stuff from season 5. Everyone hates in the sand snakes fight and rightfully so, but almost nobody mentions just how awful selmy street fight or jorah's arena fights were.

The Jorah arena fight was worth it for his Dark Souls-tier rolling thrust attack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Unnamed One posted:

I'm assuming he means that the whole Tysha thing was cut out, and Tyrion murdering his father and mistress was kind of whitewashed from the show.

E: That reminds me - They're really loving up Jaime's arc in the show. Shouldn't he be pissed that his sister/girlfriend was banging their cousin on the side? Also, Dorne.

E2: And the whole "raping Cersei on the sept" thing.

Well since Jaime has been butting heads with high sparrow perhaps the faith militants might drop that little cousin loving bomb on Jaimie to destabilize cersei's vengeance crusade

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Can't believe the dude with the anime hair on the cover of final fantasy 7 fought with his magical sword.

Doesn't he know it's valuable and he should have used a pointy stick which is cheap?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 10, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Unnamed One posted:

Yeah, they're really wasting Jaime. A good example of the show nailing one of the best aspects of the books then having it go to poo poo when they deviate.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Can't believe the dude with the anime hair on the cover of final fantasy 7 fought with his magical sword.

Doesn't he know it's valuable and he should have used a pointy stick which is cheap?

what's final fantasy 7?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

TommyGun85 posted:

not every discussion is an argument, relax.

e: and once again, my thought was less about it being practical or even useful or becoming damaged and more about his priceless family artifact being lost to his family forever because he died on a battlefield with it.

I would imagine such a thing to be considered more as a priceless valuablable instead of just a really good useful sword.

anyway, im in the clear minority so whatever, im cool with it.

Did the neighborhood bully break his priceless ancestral rock over your head in a schoolyard fight? It would explain a lot about your position.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

what's final fantasy 7?

It's an episodic action RPG being released over the next few years by Square-Enix.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDagL5LQOVE

And you edit out the jew thing before I have a chance to post.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Hey guys, I'm in a literal life or death situation, I'm not going to use the absolute best tools available to me in order to come out on the life end of the equation because they might get lost or damaged.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

CaptainRightful posted:

yet no one has mentioned the wacky sitcom gag of Pycelle ranting about zombie Mountain leading to the "He's standing right behind me, isn't he?" reveal, followed by an actual sound effect of him making GBS threads himself.
Next time on an all new Game of Thrones, Cersei has an important dinner-guest (the High Sparrow) and everyone has to be on their best behavior, but Tommen and his imaginary friend Ser Pounce have a few japes up their sleeves. Meanwhile Dany's only way out of Vaes Dothrak is to marry a new Khal, too bad she asked two Khals out on the same date!

Only on Nickelodeon

Hogge Wild posted:

lyanne didnt warg hodor, but she warged howland reed instead, and the future bran warged past hodor
Lyanna warged into Howland Reed and whispered into Ned's ear, "Promise me, Ned. Promise me you won't tell anyone I took over Howland's body and fathered his future children."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is dual wielding really unbelievable in a world with fuckin' dragons? They can just hand wave it and say Dayne had two magically light longswords.

Not that the scene wasn't bad (it was).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Syncopated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDagL5LQOVE

And you edit out the jew thing before I have a chance to post.

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ginette Reno posted:

Is dual wielding really unbelievable in a world with fuckin' dragons? They can just hand wave it and say Dayne had two magically light longswords.

The Swords of the Morning doesn't have the same ring to it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ginette Reno posted:

Eh, it's more that in the books we know very little about Arthur Dayne, but what we do know is repeated a few times. He's a loyal, honorable, true knight. And he wields a big fuckoff magic sword that is different then every other magic sword in the universe.

Aside from dual wielding be a dumb fantasy trope (in a show that loves to upend fantasy tropes) there was no need to make the change in the 1st place. Go with what was written, it works.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The Swords of the Morning doesn't have the same ring to it.

Sounds like a Braavos dockside show.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The Swords of the Morning are the pioneers of improv

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MrSlam posted:

The Swords of the Morning are the pioneers of improv
Oh poo poo, it's gerold!

DARKSTAR: I am of the nights.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

yes, because what you can do with a sword is a limitation of human anatomy and spatial awareness and not magic or whatever. dual wielding identical swords does not work irl because if youre going to have something that heavy in your off hand your better off with a big rear end shield that can protect more of your body without requiring you to specifically parry blows correctly. dual wielding like that would split your focus and leave you really undefended.

real life dual wielding is using something like a sai to catch and break your opponents blade or a main gauche knife which can be used to parry sometimes and other times to slash at your opponent's hand as they come in, and that only works because it's very light and small so it's easier to move around.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yes, because what you can do with a sword is a limitation of human anatomy and spatial awareness and not magic or whatever. dual wielding identical swords does not work irl because if youre going to have something that heavy in your off hand your better off with a big rear end shield that can protect more of your body without requiring you to specifically parry blows correctly. dual wielding like that would split your focus and leave you really undefended.

real life dual wielding is using something like a sai to catch and break your opponents blade or a main gauche knife which can be used to parry sometimes and other times to slash at your opponent's hand as they come in, and that only works because it's very light and small so it's easier to move around.

lol

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
well at least we arent arguing that the dragons arent anatomically correct...

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I know this is the Bad Thread, but some of the nerd rage here is misdirected.

First, the dialog in the Tower of Joy scene looks worse than what was written, but those changes were made primarily because subtlety doesn't work in the context of the show. Almost no viewers know who Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning is. There are so many characters that have barely been mentioned--some of which have had zero screen time--that they need to quickly reestablish the relationships between Ned, Lyanna, Rhaegar, Robert, and Aerys. So they insert "my sister", "your prince", and "The Mad King" and everybody understands why this moment is so important to the story.

Second, you can sperg about realistic swordplay, but that would make for lousy television. Even that competition video is nothing like real one-on-one swordfighting, which was typically over in a matter of seconds, because only one decent hit would be required to finish someone off.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or, counterpoint, be Miyamoto Musashi and dual-wield because you're a boss.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

Eh, it's more that in the books we know very little about Arthur Dayne, but what we do know is repeated a few times. He's a loyal, honorable, true knight. And he wields a big fuckoff magic sword that is different then every other magic sword in the universe.

Aside from dual wielding be a dumb fantasy trope (in a show that loves to upend fantasy tropes) there was no need to make the change in the 1st place. Go with what was written, it works.

I agree they shouldn't have changed it I just don't think two swords is unbelievable. If they'd nailed the rest of that scene properly and had used the dialogue from the books nobody but Linda would have much cared.

I hate how they write the dialogue on the show as if the viewer is a moron though. The Wire never holds your hand as a viewer and it has just as many characters and crazy plots at GOT. The people who need their hands held are just tuning in for tits and violence anyways and won't care if you try to write good dialogue instead of pointing out every little thing.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

TommyGun85 posted:

well at least we arent arguing that the dragons arent anatomically correct...

Well technically they're wyverns I believe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought the ToJ was about as good as we could get with late season GoT. Season 1 was good because they didn't know it was gonna be a smash hit. Now that it is they have to dumb poo poo down so people like my roommate who play on their phone and can't remember any of the characters names cab watch and not feel stupid.

My roommate isn't stupid, mind you, he just doesn't care but likes to watch the show so he can talk about it with his coworkers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The longer this show goes on the more it looks like that 90s HBO parody video with the Queen soundtrack

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
GRRM said his books could never be adapted but here we are, once again impressed by the size of the failure needed to overcome this much sunk-cost-fallacy thinking.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CaptainRightful posted:

First, the dialog in the Tower of Joy scene looks worse than what was written, but those changes were made primarily because subtlety doesn't work in the context of the show. Almost no viewers know who Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning is. There are so many characters that have barely been mentioned--some of which have had zero screen time--that they need to quickly reestablish the relationships between Ned, Lyanna, Rhaegar, Robert, and Aerys. So they insert "my sister", "your prince", and "The Mad King" and everybody understands why this moment is so important to the story.

The book dialogue establishes that. The show doesn't at all. There's no mention that they were in the Kingsguard, that their king had just been killed by Jaime, that they were expected to show up and bend the knee or flee with Viserys. It's the show that isn't helping the audience. They have a reference to the Trident and Rhaegar. Good luck to anyone who doesn't remember those two names.

The "our knees do not bend easily", "the Kingsguard does not flee", and "our false brother would burn in seven hells" lines lets you know about who these people are. In the show they're just two guys who are good with swords.

I don't know why any viewer who hasn't read the book or studied the show would care about that ToJ fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The book dialogue establishes that. The show doesn't at all. There's no mention that they were in the Kingsguard, that their king had just been killed by Jaime, that they were expected to show up and bend the knee or flee with Viserys. It's the show that isn't helping the audience. They have a reference to the Trident and Rhaegar. Good luck to anyone who doesn't remember those two names.

The "our knees do not bend easily", "the Kingsguard does not flee", and "our false brother would burn in seven hells" lines lets you know about who these people are. In the show they're just two guys who are good with swords.

I don't know why any viewer who hasn't read the book or studied the show would care about that ToJ fight.

Maybe I was high but I recall show lines about all of those things.

Edit: Didn't Ned say your buddy fled with your prince, and Dayne says well he ain't a kingsguard and our prince is right here.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2016