Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

BlackMK4 posted:

It only took me 8 years to figure that out. And handlebars are fine for bikes that will see trackdays too.

My bike's got clipons, and it's all I've ever ridden. What makes them so awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you've been riding supersports, they are uncomfortable to ride around on in traffic, suck when it's slower, and terrible for long periods of time since you have to support yourself with your core at all times. Dirtbike bars let you be lazy as poo poo but have a bunch of leverage for quick turn-in. Also, less weight on the front end means more power wheelies.

It's mostly the comfort thing. You don't have to compromise power or handling really with modern bikes like the Tuono, Superduke, etc.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

opengl128 posted:

Love this doofy thing

I too love this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

My bike's got clipons, and it's all I've ever ridden. What makes them so awful?

Clipons aren't all created equal, are yours on little elevating pedestals or do they actually clip around the fork stanchions under the triple clamp? The latter kind are absolute torture in any real world scenario and I like ridiculous sportsbikes.

BlackMK4 posted:

If you've been riding supersports, they are uncomfortable to ride around on in traffic, suck when it's slower, and terrible for long periods of time since you have to support yourself with your core at all times. Dirtbike bars let you be lazy as poo poo but have a bunch of leverage for quick turn-in. Also, less weight on the front end means more power wheelies.

It's mostly the comfort thing. You don't have to compromise power or handling really with modern bikes like the Tuono, Superduke, etc.

Bars are also loving awesome on a bumpy twisty road which is almost all of them where I live.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's a lot of body variation that bakes into those preferences. I've got stubby legs and a very long torso so clipons are basically murder for me, as I'm lifting a bunch of weight with my lower back to keep my weight off my hands. Upright bars are a must for any bike I ride for more than 20 minutes. Shorter folks tend to do better with clipons, as they don't have to reach as low, comparatively.

All in all though, I don't see myself buying anything but a track toy with clipons ever again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's sunny and windy and there's bastard cherry blossoms all over everything, so I was inspired to snap weeaboo.jpg :japan:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Not a Hayabusa 3/10

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

opengl128 posted:

Love this doofy thing

The chin spoiler really makes it.
I want one in the same color, but I'll probably wind up swapping the dual headlights for a single 7" and putting fog lights low on the forks.
Also, I'd prefer to ditch those huge cans for something a little more tidy

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's sunny and windy and there's bastard cherry blossoms all over everything, so I was inspired to snap weeaboo.jpg :japan:

Wasn't sunny for me but we were due for blossom-murdering storms that evening so it was then or never. Riding through a tunnel of cherry blossom trees was pretty neat.

The_Maz fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 11, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's a loving great picture and you should brighten it a little to make it look a little sunnier.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

The_Maz posted:

Wasn't sunny for me but we were due for blossom-murdering storms that evening so it was then or never. Riding through a tunnel of cherry blossom trees was pretty neat.

I love cbr red/white/black/high viz so much

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The_Maz posted:

unfortunately the resolution itself shows more when brightened but I dont know how to fix that

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I think I have a higher res original back at home that could be tweaked. Would be awesome since the color looks a hell of a lot better/truer with some brightening. I should have sucked it up and brought my SLR that day but it was a super impulse thing born out of looking at the impending poo poo weather.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Natural sunlight is the best photoshop. There's only like one other picture I have of my bike that I don't think looks like garbage, taken on top of the moors on the one sunny day we had in January.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

unfortunately the resolution itself shows more when brightened but I dont know how to fix that

Also get the whole bike in the frame next time, it helps a great deal when parts of it aren't snipped off by the edges.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Also get the whole bike in the frame next time, it helps a great deal when parts of it aren't snipped off by the edges.

You can always crop later, but you can never get back what you don't have.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Rode nearly all the way down the Natchez Trace from Nashville. It was scenic enough. This is the only picture I took the time to take. It takes so long to get anywhere on that road, I didn't want to waste time dicking around too much.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nice Scrambler. What are they like to ride and how far do you get on a tank?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It's small, light, and low, so it's a lot of fun in the city. For short, every day riding, I love everything about it. Trips on it can be a little bit of chore, though. Power-wise, it's not the worst at highway speeds, just uncomfortable. My legs start to feel cramped after a few hours of riding, and I'm 5 foot 8. Stock seat isn't as comfortable as it looks, either. A tank gets me about 120-130 miles before the light comes on. I'm OCD about filling up every hundred miles while travelling, and there was at least one instance where I still had a good gallon and a half left.

Last bike I took a trip on had a windscreen. Definitely have a new appreciation for that, even if only as a bug shield.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Some draw bridge down by the delta.

busted up levee roads rock for supermoto poo poo. RIP black wheels.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I'm loving these Trailriders. They're very quick handling. Once you give it a nudge, that tread grabs. Nice deep tread on the back tire so I can fling more gravel at expensive BMWs too.

Way better than the Metzeler tourance next.

Full disclosure: I haven't actually navigated any gravel with them yet. Purely street observations

Same tires we mounted on the wife's schwarzpanzer...

On another note, I think I found the worst t shirt ever.

That's right. A weird scary clown ninja mechanic. They had it on a mannequin when I was buying some formula+. I had to buy it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 12, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The correct thing to have on a tshirt as a motorcyclist is a patina of grease and blood (preferably someone else's)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

That's right. A weird scary clown ninja mechanic. They had it on a mannequin when I was buying some formula+. I had to buy it.

David Spade??

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Goddamnit I love this bike so much.
I miss mine :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

HD gave up on targeting millennials, and decided on the untapped market of Juggalos.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I picked up a 2003 R6 with some mods as a trackbike last night for $1800.

Plan is to respring the front since it feels SUPER soft and probably stuff an Ohlins valve kit in at the same time then find a cheap aftermarket rear shock. First thing is to figure out how to convert this thing back to regular shift, replace the rear brake res with a piece of tube, remove the weird frame slider on the right side, and get a case cover for the right side. I also need to figure out why the clutch releases so far from the bar since I tend to fan the loving poo poo out of it on downshifts. The lever doesn't have excessive play, I adjusted that already. It does have an EBC stage 2 clutch (whatever the gently caress that is) in it though.

I'd like to race CVMA starting in September this year on a shoe-string budget. We shall see.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 13, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Fuckin rad bike man. It's in my 5 year plan to do some track days and buy a track bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Why would you want to convert it back from GP shift if you also have a quick shifter and plan to race it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've never ridden a GP shift bike and my other two bikes are regular shift. I'd rather just trade for a pull type quickshifter sensor and rotate the shifter on the trans / swap the position of the shift rod on the shift lever. I'd rather not learn / have to remember on a bike I don't ride often and will be pushing when I am riding.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 13, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I picked up a 2003 R6 with some mods as a trackbike last night for $1800.

Every time you post something like this you may as well be reaching through the screen and punching me straight in the scrotum. $1800 would get me an R6 engine, if I were lucky.

Also I'll bet the clutch hasn't been put together correctly after the PO put the kit in.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Put my Corvette up for sale. Once that's gone, going to swap my Ninja 300 out for something bigger and naked.

Probably a Street Triple R. Those goofy headlights are growing on me.

Sat on an S1000R the other day though and it felt real good. Might have to demo one.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never ridden a GP shift bike and my other two bikes are regular shift. I'd rather just trade for a pull type quickshifter sensor and rotate the shifter on the trans / swap the position of the shift rod on the shift lever. I'd rather not learn / have to remember on a bike I don't ride often and will be pushing when I am riding.

Flip the shift rod.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

Flip the shift rod.

The problem is that my shift lever actuates the shift rod from the top, so to make it work I'd need a pull sensor. :(
Or I could swap to Woodcraft rearsets since the Vortex ones eat boots anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The most edited post ever.

a) the heck is that bottle next to your sprocket?

b) the heck does the sensor on you shifter rod do?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 13, 2016

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
B) quickshift sensor. Piezo strain sensor used in combination with the ecu or a piggyback to cut spark and allow clutch less upshifting.

A) maybe a coolant reservoir?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

B) quickshift sensor. Piezo strain sensor used in combination with the ecu or a piggyback to cut spark and allow clutch less upshifting.

A) maybe a coolant reservoir?

Meta has it right. What's more important is that you don't get off the throttle. Clutchless shifting is normal, this just means you don't have to roll off to loosen the load on the transmission.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MetaJew posted:

*clutchless full throttle upshifting. you can do the same thing yourself without the quickshifter if you let off the gas and unload the transmission before pushing up (or down in this case I guess)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can also clutchless downshift easily but I don't feel like triggering half the forum.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can do that by mistake on the Buell.

"Oh yeah the brake is on the other side"

Speaking of by mistake, that's how I wheelie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Meta has it right. What's more important is that you don't get off the throttle. Clutchless shifting is normal, this just means you don't have to roll off to loosen the load on the transmission.

Sagebrush posted:

*clutchless full throttle upshifting. you can do the same thing yourself without the quickshifter if you let off the gas and unload the transmission before pushing up (or down in this case I guess)

Sorry, I was implying wot upshifts by saying it cuts spark.