Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

How have the more recent GTIs been doing in terms of reliability? I have a Mazda that's getting a little long in the tooth, and the GTI is looking pretty good (I'd probably be getting a new or very recent one), but I don't want to get one and then wind up dreading the warranty expiration date.

My 2010 GTI 6-speed has been pretty solid (knock on wood). Over the 4 years I've had it, all its really needed is:

1. A new intake manifold
2. A PCV
3. New AC hose
4. Coilpacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Mk7 has been out since what 13 in Europe. Only major issue was some failed turbos that vw has resolved.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ok thanks all. I'd probably be talking about a Mk7; sounds like a few issues might come up but likely not too bad. And it is a super appealing car.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I've had one since October and have no complaints. Jalopnik called it "the car you buy when you can't buy every car" and I'd say that's pretty accurate so far.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
2012 GTI 6-speed here, bought it new. Aside from routine maintenance, it's only been in for service once when I had a misfire and CEL and the dealer replaced two injectors under warranty. When it was in last year for routine stuff the tech noticed it was hard to shift into 3rd sometimes (not often, but I had noticed as well) and found a broken spring on the pressure plate; they replaced that under warranty too.

Warranty is up in August, might have to look into getting it chipped, there's an APR dealer around here. I love the car, I'll keep it for awhile.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think today is the first time in about two years that there haven't been any warning lights on in my VW. Woo!

-Finally got both new summer wheels (to replace bent ones) and new summer tires (to replace worn out ones), so I have wheels with TPMS in them on the car again. No more tire pressure warning light!
-Got the CEL taken care of a few weeks ago. The second time my MAF wiring harness had a short in it in the last 12 months!
-The washer fluid light that's been on for about two years after Rain-X changed their formula and borked it has been (mostly) staying off lately. It either fixed itself or broke even more spectacularly, but at least it isn't flashing at me every. two. seconds.

Only my DRL light light kept me company on my drive to work today.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Uthor posted:

-The washer fluid light that's been on for about two years after Rain-X changed their formula and borked it has been (mostly) staying off lately. It either fixed itself or broke even more spectacularly, but at least it isn't flashing at me every. two. seconds.

The bulb is probably burnt out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The bulb is probably burnt out.

I'd assume so! But it's a flashing warning that replaces the clock in the MFD (just like the low fuel warning does), so it's not a bulb. And it occasionally still comes back on for no reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I got an email from the guys I signed on with for the diesel class action with a link to a transcript of the latest chat between the various parties and the judge overseeing the settlement.

Here is the link

Here is the money shot:

quote:

At our last status conference last month on April 21st, the parties reported that they had reached an agreement in principle as to what to do about the more than 480,000 2-liter-engine cars on the road and the associated environmental consequences resulting from the excess emissions from these vehicles.

I set a deadline of June 21st for the United States to file with the Court any consent decree memorializing its agreement with Volkswagen; the Federal Trade Commission to file a consent order, as well as the same deadline for the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee to file a motion for a preliminary approval of the consumer class-action settlement regarding the 2-liter engine cars.

I am pleased this morning to announce that the Settlement Master and the parties -- Volkswagen, the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee, the Department of Justice on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board, in conjunction with the California Attorney; General's Office and the Federal Trade Commission -- have reported that in the month since we last met, they have made substantial progress in their intensive daily efforts to finalize the agreements, and, most importantly, are on track to meet the Court's deadline.

Once these settlement papers are filed, the Court will make them publicly available on the Court's website. The Court's website will also direct the public to where they can find accurate information about the proposed settlements. The parties intend for class-member car owners to be able to determine the specific settlement proposal available to each class member by visiting a settlement website long before the class member has to make a decision about the settlement proposal.

Before the Court considers whether to finally approve the proposed settlements, the class members -- that is, the car owners -- will receive direct-mail notice of their rights and options under the settlement, and the public will have an opportunity to comment on the United States' proposed consent decree.
As reported to me by the Special Master, the proposed settlements are designed to accomplish three major objectives in a comprehensive manner.

First, the settlements address noncompliant 2-liter-engine cars currently on the road. By Volkswagen offering to buy back or to terminate the lease for each vehicle, or, at no cost to the consumer, and subject to Government approval after further testing, by the consumer choosing to have Volkswagen modify the vehicles to reduce the emissions in accordance with the requirements set by EPA and CARB.

Second, in addition -- and I want to emphasize this. In addition to the buy-back or modification, the settlement pays substantial monetary compensation to the proposed class of 2-liter-engine owners and lessees.

Third, the settlement requires Volkswagen to pay money into a fund that will support environmental remediation. In addition, Volkswagen will be required to commit other funds to promote green automotive technology.

None of these settlement benefits will be reduced by the payment of attorneys' fees and costs.

Here's hoping it comes out that well in the final version, but it seems to be what the presiding judge is demanding as a framework. Consumer's choice of buyback or - if feasible - fix, cash on top, VW doing some green poo poo, and the settlement amount isn't reduced by attorneys fees.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I got an email from the guys I signed on with for the diesel class action with a link to a transcript of the latest chat between the various parties and the judge overseeing the settlement.

Here is the link

Here is the money shot:

Here's hoping it comes out that well in the final version, but it seems to be what the presiding judge is demanding as a framework. Consumer's choice of buyback or - if feasible - fix, cash on top, VW doing some green poo poo, and the settlement amount isn't reduced by attorneys fees.

Well poo poo... I'm curious how they would handle a buy back for consumers that are top heavy on their loans. I'm pretty sure I'd break even but I imagine there are a few people that could be out money if they can't fix the cars to stay on the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Only my DRL light light kept me company on my drive to work today.

OH GOD DAMMIT!

I can't complain as these are my original pads and I put 100k miles on them, but I already spent $1500 on my car this month.

So, brake pad recommendations?

EDIT: MKV GTI

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 27, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Well poo poo... I'm curious how they would handle a buy back for consumers that are top heavy on their loans. I'm pretty sure I'd break even but I imagine there are a few people that could be out money if they can't fix the cars to stay on the road.

The last thing I heard implied that they would value them at KBB right before the scandal broke. I'm pretty sure that the idea is that that plus a cash payout makes sure people aren't underwater on loans.

via
Dec 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

The last thing I heard implied that they would value them at KBB right before the scandal broke. I'm pretty sure that the idea is that that plus a cash payout makes sure people aren't underwater on loans.

I'm two years into a financed purchase, if they're taking the car back at pre-dgate book prices, they'd need to hand me like $7k cash on top to make it as though we had a lease. Being compelled to sell a brand new car two years in is a financial disaster. I see them fixing mine and doing some more apology money. Since it's California, they'll have to pay the state board if they want to keep non-complying cars on the road, which would complicate a plan where I sign something now and turn the car in next year or the one after.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do you have a high rate loan? I don't understand how you could have been 7k underwater on the value of the car after only a year and a few months into the loan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Do you have a high rate loan? I don't understand how you could have been 7k underwater on the value of the car after only a year and a few months into the loan.

It's pretty easy to get quickly underwater on a new car.

You have to add in the tax title and poo poo which here in CA adds a at least a few thousand. Also don't forget about that $1200 extended warranty they sold you on. Wait how much did that car depreciate after you drove it off the lot? That's another few thousand there as well.

Even if he had a 0% interest loan I'm sure he'd either be close (like me) or maybe a little under. I bought fully loaded TDI Passat and I think my out the door price was nearly 40k when it was all said and done.

EDIT: The thing for me was I didn't mind being underwater when I bought the car because for me I was planning on keeping the drat thing for 10 years. I had all of that factored in to my purchase decision. poo poo if I would have known this was going to happen I would have just bought some used poo poo and called it a day.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Or negative equity on the trade.

I ate ~$1200 I negative equity when I bought a cpo Camry a long time ago and even with 0.9% interest it took me three years to reach the cars value.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I can't seem to find the checkbox on KBB for my wife's sportwagen to include the leather upholstery, seat heaters, and full sunroof. I know she paid an additional $7k for that when she bought it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jesus christ it's not "easy" to end up underwater on a car loan unless you're financially illiterate. Stop buying the stupid loving extended warranties, put more money down, and stop with the 60 months and trade in bullshit.

Also you need a new car every 10 years, not every 2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

:confused:

That's what I thought when I bought this TDI...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jesus christ it's not "easy" to end up underwater on a car loan unless you're financially illiterate. Stop buying the stupid loving extended warranties, put more money down, and stop with the 60 months and trade in bullshit.

Immediately after buying my car in 07, VW was having 60 month no interest loans with low down payments. It'd be stupid to pay more than the minimum on that as you'd be able to earn some cash between putting your money in an interest bearing account and accounting for inflation. It'd be hella easy to be upside down on the loan

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why would negative equity have anything to do with the VW buyback? If you were upside down before and rolled it into a new loan, just continue making bad decisions and do it again. Or realize you were probably living beyond your means and buy something cheap.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's like BFC is invading.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I recently bought a 2001 Polo as a cheap run around whilst I pump money into savings.

I thought I'd found a hidden gem but it's currently sitting outside with a dead battery and won't start. It's so dead that even the unlocking fob doesn't work and I have to use the key, with a turn in the ignition doing nothing at all.

The car has had a new battery and a new alternator in the last few months which makes me think that the old owner had the same problem but misdiagnosed it.

I'm pretty sure the issue is a parasitic drain on the battery. I noticed within a couple days of purchase that sometimes the dashboard lights (the back lights behind the speedometer and such, not the warning lights) stay on if the headlight dial is not in juuuuuuust the right position. There has been a couple of occasions that I've made sure it's off and returned to the vehicle with them back on and I'm 99% sure this is what killed the battery.

I'll be able to do some more testing when my buddy gives me a jump tomorrow but I guess I just want to know if anyone has come across a similar problem. I'm hoping I can just replace or reconnect the headlight switch dial to fix it but I'm worried it's going to be a complex electrical issue that requires a lot of cash.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm looking to get a mk2 TT. Is the 2L a better bet then the 3.2 for reliability / repair costs, as I've heard that likes munching on cam chains?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Coming up on week 8 driving a rental Nissan Altima. QQ

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here is the link

Here is the money shot:

The settlement amount will certainly be reduced by attorneys' fees, along with probably some more fees and costs. My law firm would only class actions on a contingency fee--usually 33% or 40% of whatever we're able to recover. Did you sign a retainer agreement? The fees should be reflected in there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

None of these settlement benefits will be reduced by the
payment of attorneys' fees and costs.

That's from the court transcript.

Maybe they will set aside a separate fund to pay for attorney fees so that the settlement to VW owners is not reduced by lawyer fees?

The settlement will be for all affected parties, not just those who joined the class action lawsuits.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Coming up on week 8 driving a rental Nissan Altima. QQ

The advertisements suggest that it's practically a z car!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The CVT mated to the otherwise good 3.5L on the Altima is one of the worst automotive atrocities

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I took it home to Texas and managed to average 39mpg at 71 mph. It's not a ~bad~ car, its just not my car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My 2016 GTI has 15k miles on it now, 14k of them with a DP and JB1. There driver side door has rattled whenever you closed it with the window down since new and finally the Bluetooth completely disappeared from the stereo so I get to take it in. I really don't look forward to swapping the DP out in 118* weather.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My coworkers new R is already going to have service appointment as there is a loud popping noise from the front suspension while going over bumps :allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That reminds me, my front suspension creaks when going up/down the coping on my driveway at a 45* angle.

Watch me be super lazy about putting the downpipe back on after I get the car back and realize it's the perfect time to sell it and buy an E39 M5, CTS-V, or a M54 powered E30. bad with money whatup

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Anyone have strong feelings on a particular brands of batteries? My old Sears DieHard finally poo poo the bed.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Blakkout posted:

Anyone have strong feelings on a particular brands of batteries? My old Sears DieHard finally poo poo the bed.
What size/group is it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fknlo posted:

My coworkers new R is already going to have service appointment as there is a loud popping noise from the front suspension while going over bumps :allears:

Bet the shipping pucks are still there.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be to steal a 2008 GTI?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

obi_ant posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be to steal a 2008 GTI?

Without the key? Difficult.

With a trailer or flat bed? Not bad at all.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Sciroccos are so much more expensive and rare and broken than they were 15 years ago when I was all into them. :(

In any event I'm back to the VAG after ten years of no car or crappy Japanese. Since it was entirely too convenient, I purchased a 2004 1.8T GTI for $3400. It has 85k miles. Is this about to be fun, a nightmare, or somewhere in between for a grown up former A1/A2 guy like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm sure you and your coil packs and window regulators will become good friends.

An 04 GTI should be about as sorted as a Mk4 will get, since it came out in 99.