Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Wii/360 ones were irredeemable garbage, they have improved a bit since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just want action games where I swing as fast as I can hit the button, down with input/animation lag

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meowbot posted:

I just had to alt tab to tell you my initial impresion of this onechamber chaos game is I AM INLOVE
Hey man, I'm glad to see your posts again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

corn in the bible posted:

i have not played onechanbara z2, but i've played the wii one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuctsebANe0
I'm glad to see they ported a Simple 2000 PS2 game without any improvements.
Shame this series never took off https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OF4XYU/

I probably should play Onimusha Dawn of Dreams I've got before buying the Onechanbara, though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When is podunkian gonna finish the unde

dammit

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Onechanbara looks really good

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition

4. Port Royale 2

I can't be the only person who's gotten a pirate ship or spaceship and spent all their time hauling junk around to sell. There's something quietly gratifying about buying low and selling high, and so there should be no surprise there are games that exist to scratch that itch. Port Royale 2 does just that on the surface, and then surprises you with several more layers of fortune-seeking options.

You play an aspiring merchant in the Carribbean of the 1600s, starting with little more than a sloop and some sacks of money. Your ship will get you around to the many ports, each modeled in simple, charming Stronghold-esque 2D. The buildings that comprise each town determine what goods they produce from a list of about two dozen, and the rate at which they consume them. Your job, then, is to learn which towns need which goods, and where the best place to buy them up is.

It's not as simple as finding a town that makes shirts and a town that grows cotton, though. Each location is constantly producing and consuming goods, and their prices are determined by dynamic supply and demand. So, if you bring a huge load of cotton to shirt town you might make a pile of money, but turn around and do it again and that cotton might be worthless because they haven't used up the first load yet. Success in the mercantile business means making circuits around the sea, picking up whatever you can at bargain-basement prices and unloading it at whatever port happens to need it. The world map helpfully displays what good a town needs the most at the time, but there are plenty of other trader that can beat you to the punch.

The dynamic, living world of Port Royale is what keeps it fresh and entertaining, because not only will demand flip on you, you can be the agent of that change. Strike enough deals in a town and they'll grant you building permits to set up your own farms and workshops, allowing you to add new production sources across the map. With enough capital you can move away from buying and selling random goods and instead working your own supply chains for pure profit. You can have enormous merchant fleets at your disposal, moving around huge loads of goods or broken up across the Carribbean to beat the other traders to the punch.

Somehow the developers didn't think that was enough, so if you want to eschew the merchant life for full privateering, even that's an option. Any ship can be designated a warship and outfitted with cannon and sailors to take on pirates or merchants of other nations, or even besiege and ransack ports. Governors in major towns will even give you missions to eliminate particularly troublesome captains if you need guidance. There's real-time combat between ships that's functional but basic compared to other high-seas simulators, and comes with the odd handicap of letting you command one ship at a time while your opponents have their full fleet.

Still, the combat is an engaging and welcome addition atop the robust economic simulator, and it isn't even the only one. You can also choose to ferry around settlers and construction materials to help grow towns, gamble in the many taverns of the world, piece together treasure maps, and more. A series of four extensive tutorial scenarios will help you get a grip on the game, and then you have four challenge scenarios or the wide-open freeplay mode to enjoy. The chunky 2D graphics might not have aged very well but they certainly don't detract from the relaxed atmosphere, and the soundtrack is exactly what you'd want in a low-key trading sim. Anyone with even a passing interest in being a high-seas merchant is sure to find something to enjoy here.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Is that the game with the weed emote that sells for way too much money on steam?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Nah, that's Port Royale 3 which I've heard isn't as good as 2. Might be why there's such demand, not many people actually played it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Darkest Dungeon is my GOTY (it was technically released January of this year)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Humble Narrative Bundle is pretty crazy

Her Story
Read Only Memories
Cibele

Pay more than average:
Broken Age
80 Days
Sorcery part 1 and 2

Pay $10 or more:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

I've wanted to play all of these games at one point or another, specially Shadowrun and 80 Days, and I don't own any of them! The only two I haven't played or heard of are Cibele and Sorcery, anyone have any comments on those?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 4, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

retrovirus: pretty cool i like 6DOF shooters but Descent Underground is taking forever to put in singleplayer so I guess I will just play this instead

heavy fire: basically a mediocre on-rails shooter but that's kind of what i wanted after playing the COD games two weeks ago cause this feels like the idiocy cranked up to 100. the shooting does feel awful tho

after i nap i'll probably play the snes games next. that's my story, like comment and subscribe

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 4, 2016

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

The only two I haven't played are Cibele and Sorcery, anyone have any comments on those?

The Sorcery! games are pretty cool and most people seem to agree. I don't like the combat mechanics that much but I was probably missing a trick or something. The magic system is needlessly overwrought but functional. You can also get them for free on cell phones if you use the Amazon app but you have fiddle with the stupid search to find the unlisted free version.

I consider them visual novels done right. Most of the screen is dedicated to text as opposed to a small box at the bottom that fits like 2 sentences at a time. Its' focus on the story as opposed to the art really appeals to me as someone who reads books but I can see how someone who reads comics would prefer the opposite.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition

4. Port Royale 2

I can't be the only person who's gotten a pirate ship or spaceship and spent all their time hauling junk around to sell. There's something quietly gratifying about buying low and selling high, and so there should be no surprise there are games that exist to scratch that itch. Port Royale 2 does just that on the surface, and then surprises you with several more layers of fortune-seeking options.

You play an aspiring merchant in the Carribbean of the 1600s, starting with little more than a sloop and some sacks of money. Your ship will get you around to the many ports, each modeled in simple, charming Stronghold-esque 2D. The buildings that comprise each town determine what goods they produce from a list of about two dozen, and the rate at which they consume them. Your job, then, is to learn which towns need which goods, and where the best place to buy them up is.

It's not as simple as finding a town that makes shirts and a town that grows cotton, though. Each location is constantly producing and consuming goods, and their prices are determined by dynamic supply and demand. So, if you bring a huge load of cotton to shirt town you might make a pile of money, but turn around and do it again and that cotton might be worthless because they haven't used up the first load yet. Success in the mercantile business means making circuits around the sea, picking up whatever you can at bargain-basement prices and unloading it at whatever port happens to need it. The world map helpfully displays what good a town needs the most at the time, but there are plenty of other trader that can beat you to the punch.

The dynamic, living world of Port Royale is what keeps it fresh and entertaining, because not only will demand flip on you, you can be the agent of that change. Strike enough deals in a town and they'll grant you building permits to set up your own farms and workshops, allowing you to add new production sources across the map. With enough capital you can move away from buying and selling random goods and instead working your own supply chains for pure profit. You can have enormous merchant fleets at your disposal, moving around huge loads of goods or broken up across the Carribbean to beat the other traders to the punch.

Somehow the developers didn't think that was enough, so if you want to eschew the merchant life for full privateering, even that's an option. Any ship can be designated a warship and outfitted with cannon and sailors to take on pirates or merchants of other nations, or even besiege and ransack ports. Governors in major towns will even give you missions to eliminate particularly troublesome captains if you need guidance. There's real-time combat between ships that's functional but basic compared to other high-seas simulators, and comes with the odd handicap of letting you command one ship at a time while your opponents have their full fleet.

Still, the combat is an engaging and welcome addition atop the robust economic simulator, and it isn't even the only one. You can also choose to ferry around settlers and construction materials to help grow towns, gamble in the many taverns of the world, piece together treasure maps, and more. A series of four extensive tutorial scenarios will help you get a grip on the game, and then you have four challenge scenarios or the wide-open freeplay mode to enjoy. The chunky 2D graphics might not have aged very well but they certainly don't detract from the relaxed atmosphere, and the soundtrack is exactly what you'd want in a low-key trading sim. Anyone with even a passing interest in being a high-seas merchant is sure to find something to enjoy here.

I hope you dont do this all month because youre making me want to buy Startopia (again) and reinstall Port Royale and I already have enough on my plate with Stellaris and Total War Warhamer and soon Hearts of Iron 4. :argh:

Also meowbot is totally selling me on Onechanbara.

Also also freak futanari is clearly slacking off because I havnt seen a glowing review for Sakura Dungeon yet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Star Citizen still in development in this setting?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Haha wht is that

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Keys for whoever wants 'em:

The Forest:

BYTN5-MF9TD-B4RLW

Steredenn

CWP0T-X7PKL-2657E

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

7YJTF-7II85-6RWMF

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

She Bangs the Drums posted:

The Zyborne Clock is still a hilarious example of too many chiefs not enough indians.

Ironically, if you know anything about Zybournian History, you'd know there was a game dev who wanted to help with the project, but was kicked off the team after saying maybe we should actually mak gam instead of just writing a bunch of bad steampunk fanfiction.

(itds me. im the legendary zybournian game dev.)

Zachack posted:

Ok I'm not as down on it and the inventory getting bigger is good to know. Thoughts so far:

There's too much exposition in the beginning and it goes on too long, it's probably too late but I'd have changed the apoc cause to something like "did you ever see wargames? Turns out WOPR can win".

The text boxes should have been broken up into multiple ones on screen, as they are now they get in the way. Like, when I'm in the inventory for the first time the big text box covers a good chunk of the inventory image.

Good to know about inventory, but maybe either increase the default at the beginning to 15 or, better, don't have ammo (and maybe medpacks) eat a full slot. I get having to think about what I'm hauling but the ammo thing is more anti-fun because I wind up with a lot of one type of weapon. And maybe I missed something but do I have to get through the whole cooler before I can start upgrading my shack (instead of spawning there)?

Also, unless I missed an input, have guns unload themselves when picked up. At the beginning I'm running around with 4 loaded pistols trying to use them up instead of the bullet pile and getting irritated with myself for muscle-memory reloading.

I haven't managed to get past floor 3 of the 1st Cooler because of Mutamoms, specifically when they die and... something happens where I'm still being attacked? It's very visually unclear what's happening and death comes so fast I can't react. I also find melee'ing rad dogs to be too difficult and it seems... wrong somehow. Like the stat-based drift on bullets is continuing on to my crowbar (bat seems easier for some reason). Unlike killing raiders which I don't have a problem with and understand when it's my fault for taking damage.

Yeah, I'm not suuuper psyched about the intro either. The guy who recorded it has done super stellar work for me in the past, but when he gave me the recording, I was kinda under a super time crunch and just had to use it. I think he later told me that he was drunk while he was recording it, which, while being thematically relevant, didn't do huge favors for the already kind of stale sounding copy. Luckily, immediately after you slog through/skip the intro, you get to meet Blinky, Stinky and Clyde, who have some of the best performances of the game.

The shack upgrades don't happen until you get through your first Cooler Run, but the first run isn't really as long as you might think.

Guns don't unload. Sort of a dumb thing, but because enemies have unlimited ammo, it seemed weird that enemies would drop more or less ammo depending on the state they were in when you popped 'em.

Mutamoms will explode into Mutapupae when they die, which are like Snarks from HL1 in that they jump around and chase any living creature around them. If they touch you, they stick onto you (you'll see you have a debuff called Pupa Love), slowing you down until they finally explode. Basically: don't shoot a Mutamom from too close. (If you loot the Mutasac from her, you can use the Mutapupae as a weapon and you'll have a much better idea of how they work once you use them on an enemy)

EDIT: Also sorry for coming off like a shill before but I don't get anything from Duck Game getting any sort of success because though I "work for" Adult Swim, they're really just my publisher, so their success kinda doesn't have anything to do at all with me.

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 4, 2016

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

spudsbuckley posted:

Keys for whoever wants 'em:

Looks like these were lurked, but thanks for sharing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Haha wht is that

:irony:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hey theres picross on stema now whoah

yes

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 4, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If Onechanbara does well I hope it means we'll see all of Suda51's games ported to PC. Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw are like if the Onechanbara series had a budget and Hollywood screenwriters writing the stories and dialogue.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

If Onechanbara does well I hope it means we'll see all of Suda51's games ported to PC. Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw are like if the Onechanbara series had a budget and Hollywood screenwriters writing the stories and dialogue.
Suda had nothing to do with Onechanbara.

Looking it up to make sure he did direct a Blood+ video game, were you thinking of that?

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

yes

why is that penguin wearing a fedora?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is Assassin's Creed Rogue worth $15 in the humble bundle? I have only played the first maybe two Assassin's Creed games and thought they were all right.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Accordion Man posted:

Suda had nothing to do with Onechanbara.

Looking it up to make sure he did direct a Blood+ video game, were you thinking of that?

I didn't say he did, but he's a Japanese developer who releases games for Japanese publishers who are really stingy with porting Japanese games to PC. If other Japanese games do well in North American/European PC markets then maybe we'll see some Suda51 ports besides Killer Is Dead.

But probably still not :shrug:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tsyni posted:

Is Assassin's Creed Rogue worth $15 in the humble bundle? I have only played the first maybe two Assassin's Creed games and thought they were all right.

If you're feeling Assassin's Creedy my recommendation would be to grab Black Flag from the coming Steam Sale, it'll go for less than 10 bucks, probably more like 5. Rogue isn't a massive improvement on Black Flag, but if you enjoy Black Flag you can buy Rogue later. Black Flag is considered the best game in the series after AC2 and Brotherhood, anyway.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Snips posted:

why is that penguin wearing a fedora?

It's called peacocking, get with it!!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't say he did, but he's a Japanese developer who releases games for Japanese publishers who are really stingy with porting Japanese games to PC. If other Japanese games do well in North American/European PC markets then maybe we'll see some Suda51 ports besides Killer Is Dead.

But probably still not :shrug:
Ah my bad, I misconstrued you. We are getting a remaster of The Silver Case on PC at the end of the year so there is that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 4, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

yes

was this meant to be an informative post

because it isnt

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

yes

There's also a game called "Paint it Back" which is Picross.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i hope the other fantasy mosaic games also come to steam someday because apparently there's 16 of them but only Fantasy Mosaics 14 is on steam

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

You'd think that if nothing else "from the man who brought you Guardians of the Galaxy" would be enough of a selling point.

At least we got Killer Is Dead.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

i found a lore-friendly custom companion in wasted, courtesy of one lover slab

A+

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Haha wht is that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIAhQhBswo

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also Hexcells and Squarecells are basically Picross.

The Hexcells games are particularly good/difficult.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Found Sound posted:

i found a lore-friendly custom companion in wasted, courtesy of one lover slab

A+
You found her, you found my darling Asuka! But it looks like you're not using the obviously superior Type III custom body (with full tail support) mod??

Ugh, pearls before swine.

Voicing Slab is probably the pinnacle of all of my creative efforts to date

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So, is anyone else getting constant connection errors ATM?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Question about mods in Witcher 3 - I have a few mods installed and now Steam isn't activating completed achievements. Is this typical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
It took me 24 hours for my character in Sorcery! to go from legendary hero to the muddy stupid cowardly starving murderer not even children respect from the Galley Slave

edit w/ a DJ Paul arm

• Locked thread