Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Google Butt posted:

lmao if these dumbass gaming "journalists" don't write a piece on this slimy this change. you suck rear end and don't deserve to make a living doing what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Whoo, The Dragonfly is hangar ready and in game already! And its got the missing chair from the other scout ship, Ben must have found it.

Moma was right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mental Gymnastics

The kickstarter estimated release date was/is November 2014. The Non-KS-TOS's don't apply or use that date.

Despite the non-ks TOS' referring to "estimated release date" and then adding 12 or 18 months, this does not mean November 2014, apparently.

November 2014 + 18 months = May 2016.

A new TOS was written for June 2016. No, this does not coincide with the old TOS' "estimated release date + 18 months" expiry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

best marketer since she was a little girl woh did ep whop etc

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i piss on the gaming journalism profession

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

haha

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

How strange that a lot of the arguments MoMA was making in this thread end up in the new ToS. Dude is a for real psychic.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

alf_pogs posted:

someone get the accc on the blower cuz this poo poo is mental ha ha haaaa

alf_pogs posted:

someone get the accc on the blower cuz this poo poo is mental ha ha haaaa
The ACCC will only really take action if a number of Australian consumers call up and complain about the conduct. They'll note it down in their database, and then refer you to your state Office of Fair Trade (I'm pretty sure you South Aussies have one of those).

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

Chris is going to have to make a hard, hard choice here. To commit fully to Squadron 42's completion probably means throwing bad money after worse. If cash grows harder and harder to come by, and the competition delivers something impossible to beat, the money he spends to complete it will come at the expense of the vehicle that flew him so very, very high. The one that most of his financiers wanted. The one that offers him the better chance of continued employment.

When Derek told us most of the resources were being diverted, many of us said it seemed like a really bad idea. SC was clearly the cash cow, and what everybody wanted. Now, after throwing 6 months of front burner development into the SQ42 black hole, the whole project looks like it needs to be tossed, including all that expensive mocap. To release SQ42 at this point would be more embarrassing than not releasing it. And now SC has fallen even farther behind, and for what?

CIG just telegraphed their total collapse with this ToS.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nothing fishy about this at all - pushing a broken update live to coincide with the changed TOS that removes any references to delivery dates. Oh and Toast was busy the last couple days I guess

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Streetroller posted:

So up until about 2 hours ago when I read the new ToS I was supporting Star Citizen.

Truth be told, I'm not a Derek fan... and I have a significant investment in Star Citizen...

But with all the recent events of finding out I'm being labeled, the plagiarism, this new ToS made me genuinely angry.
I don't believe that the ToS is legal, because it's worded as a "Contract" with the new indefinite clause in it.

That's a perpetuity contract, I'm pretty sure... and not legal here in the States.
Anyone know a good lawyer?

You may not like Derek, but coming here asking for help with a refund is an admission that he is completely and utterly right and always has been. I hope that in time you stop shooting the messenger and turn that dislike towards people that deserve it in Cloud Imperium.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

That's from the latest AtV, posted yesterday.

Of course cultists don't pay any attention to what the devs are actually saying, they just "read between the lines", skip to the stuff where Ben talks about Dreams, and then make poo poo up.

Listen to what the devs are saying, look at the videos from every single patch that's been released for 2.4 (all 19 of them), look at the screenshots... I mean goons aren't making this stuff up, it's right there for everyone to see.

Senior staff leaving, art people leaving, 60 odd vacancies on their company site for the entirety of 2016, terms of service being changed, a AUS$40,000 refund a few days ago, stolen artwork, cancelled E3 appearance, Star Marine touted for a year and then vanishing, paid for ships overdue by years, broken engine, broken networking, obsolete and broken patching system...

And the really hosed up part is that's just the stuff that's out in the open - and it isn't even the half of it.

What else is there?

Fake funding chart
Ex-employees on the record about everything from nepotism to racism
Customer service reps lying about chargebacks being fraud
Customer service tagging users based on off-site activity
Customer service stalking users social media
The company director pleading for tier one devs on a youtube video before loving off on holiday
Company premises and equipment used for the boss's wife's fledgling film career
Mocap studios and equipment bought and paid for yet sitting redundant and unused
Ben Lesnick, Developer

And that's still not even the half of the stuff that's out in the open. Feel free to chime in with more, maybe we should make a list. And the fact that there's more and it's worse, but it can't be spoken about in the open without loving up someone's career and life puts this whole thing beyond BEYOND hosed.

There is no game coming out of this, EVER. It couldn't be more hosed if its name was Fucko McFucked, born to Mr. and Mrs. Tits-gently caress McFuckyface

How much you are in for commando?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

It couldn't be more hosed if its name was Fucko McFucked, born to Mr. and Mrs. Tits-gently caress McFuckyface

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

XK posted:

When Derek told us most of the resources were being diverted, many of us said it seemed like a really bad idea. SC was clearly the cash cow, and what everybody wanted. Now, after throwing 6 months of front burner development into the SQ42 black hole, the whole project looks like it needs to be tossed, including all that expensive mocap. To release SQ42 at this point would be more embarrassing than not releasing it. And now SC has fallen even farther behind, and for what?

CIG just telegraphed their total collapse with this ToS.

That's what strikes me-- the optics are so provocative.

I understand why they'd want to do this -- but not why they'd choose to do it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 11, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Lets see if I get this straight..

The minute you come anywhere close to this TOS, you are hosed. Happy foruming...<3

You will only get the small "unearned" portion of the money you gave us back if we roll over and die. By that time, we will have "earned" all portions of your money anyway via trying not to die, so you get nothing.

You agree that if the game you have originally pledged for is not a glorified single player FMV movie with 0 gameplay, you get no money back.

Did you buy something on the grey market? gently caress you, twas a gift. No refunds.

- Fine, I'll melt the fucker and then ask for a refund. Store credit yo.

- Too late, we have refactored the database to account for that and track if the credit came from gifted assets. Happy summer holidays, Br0wnHornet <3

I think CIG might be a bad company run by bad people.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's the middle of the night. You wake with a start, hearing a crash downstairs.

Is it an intruder? Was it a dream?

You creep out of bed to the top of the stairs. You can hear shuffling and animalistic grunting down in the darkness. You grab table lamp as an improvised weapon, flick the lights on and charge down the stairs.

In the middle of the kitchen you see a middle aged german man with a sharks grin. He is naked, squatting over a pile of money and masturbating furiously.

"NOOOOO REEFUNNDSSS" he bellows. You drop to your knees. "What about the pledge?" you ask. "PRO RATA PARI PASSU!" he screams as he reaches his vile climax. The money is soiled. The air is filled with a sulphurous reek. The lights go out. You feel hot breath on your neck. "Landing successful."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TTerrible posted:

It's the middle of the night. You wake with a start, hearing a crash downstairs.

Is it an intruder? Was it a dream?

You creep out of bed to the top of the stairs. You can hear shuffling and animalistic grunting down in the darkness. You grab table lamp as an improvised weapon, flick the lights on and charge down the stairs.

In the middle of the kitchen you see a middle aged german man with a sharks grin. He is naked, squatting over a pile of money and masturbating furiously.

"NOOOOO REEFUNNDSSS" he bellows. You drop to your knees. "What about the pledge?" you ask. "PRO RATA PARI PASSU!" he screams as he reaches his vile climax. The money is soiled. The air is filled with a sulphurous reek. The lights go out. You feel hot breath on your neck. "Landing successful."

Never thought I'd hear someone else say my safeword...

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
:stare:

lazorexplosion posted:

That means they could even try to say any alpha version they currently have fulfills the TOS, we're done here no refunds you got the game and/or your pledge item, the game just differs from how we described it, you agreed to this.
Exactly. For example that's why they made sure to put "brought to you by Bullshit Insurance Incorporated" at the bottom of the ship selection screen when they made it so you have to pay aUEC to respawn a ship that was recently destroyed. Paying aUEC to have your ship jarringly pop into existence on the pad at Olisar five minutes ahead of schedule is the insurance system.

Being sent to your room or kicked off the server if you're really naughty is the justice system.

It's hilariously transparent.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

TTerrible posted:

You may not like Derek, but coming here asking for help with a refund is an admission that he is completely and utterly right and always has been. I hope that in time you stop shooting the messenger and turn that dislike towards people that deserve it in Cloud Imperium.

People really shouldn't let their dislike of any given individual supersede what their basic common sense is telling them regardless. In the end, the ones with a monetary stake in this shitshow ain't Derek.

Also that new ToS is abhorrent and morally reprehensible. Disgusting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danakir posted:

People really shouldn't let their dislike of any given individual supersede what their basic common sense is telling them regardless. In the end, the ones with a monetary stake in this shitshow ain't Derek.

Also that new ToS is abhorrent and morally reprehensible. Disgusting.

But if I don't hate Derek Smart all the time then... does that make me a troll?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You will get your money back when CIG folds, no risk at all.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

XK posted:

What the gently caress? Are you supposed to see by leaning out the side?

Uhh, no. You see with high-fidelity space telemetry ahh systems that are really uhh neat and If I could wave my hands in text I, ahh, could show you the immersion. It's just a question of immersion of course, but uhh, if you or a player or a sentient NPC wanted to lean out the side then you could totally do that in this game. In fact, uhh, the birds will probably be leaning out the other side while you or uhh like another player or ahh an NPC or someone is leaning to the fuses in the navigation thing. This drawing is a concept, but ahh, when the groundwork of the basic design and foundation of the game is settled then ahh, it will be implemented really fast. Like super fast.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Ah give him a break, someone can be right and also an rear end at the same time.

It's always been a bizarre aspect of the Star Citizen cultists - that they think insulting Derek would somehow offend critics of CIG. Most of the time we probably agree with them - doesn't make the game any less of a shitshow though!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Repeat Offenders: The Dialogue Continues

A conversation continues between a backer planning to leave and another encouraging him to reconsider.

It's noteworthy to me for its civility. This brief excerpt touches on a popular topic here - the toxic community - but honestly I found the whole exchange interesting.

The toxic community is not an accident, nor was it inevitable. Warnings were raised here and elsewhere yet were ignored. Instead, CIG spent a good part of the last year watering its weeds and tearing out flowers and here we are...

(Link above for the rest.)

The plus side to a cult of personality is the ability to use it as a weapon and we know CIG do that to full effect. Marketing, funding, attacks.

The downside is if it turns before they die off and how others view it from outside looking in. It is clear that almost everyone is aware of the rep of shitizens.

They fostered the community totally with luck like this but started early on. See Lti/vet backers vs non lti backers and let that fester for a year plus.

Once they finally realize that it wont happen and the shockwave hits CR & Co. better hope they are far away because they will reap what they have planted and nurtured.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

Ah give him a break, someone can be right and also an rear end at the same time.

It's always been a bizarre aspect of the Star Citizen cultists - that they think insulting Derek would somehow offend critics of CIG. Most of the time we probably agree with them - doesn't make the game any less of a shitshow though!

Wrong, either you hate Derek SharterFarter or you are a troll.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But if I don't hate Derek Smart all the time then... does that make me a troll?

I know this may be very difficult to accept, friend, but people you dislike are right all the time. And sometimes, even, people you like are wrong about things.

Perhaps on the internet of all places.

It doesn't matter. Let me know if you need a moment to get your bearings here.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chalks posted:

Na, gently caress em. They had a warning months ago and couldn't come here begging for help with a refund without couching it in "but still, I dont like Derek.."

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

star citizen is stupid thats all i have to say about it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danakir posted:

I know this may be very difficult to accept, friend, but people you dislike are right all the time. And sometimes, even, people you like are wrong about things.

Perhaps on the internet of all places.

It doesn't matter. Let me know if you need a moment to get your bearings here.

Wait... you mean people I dislike aren't wrong all the time?

I don't know if I can accept this new line of thinking...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I am feeling hollow, like death

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WOOOO! Just bought a Constellation and boy-oh-boy do I believe in this project!

Star Citizen will. not. fail!

gently caress you, Derek Fart! (HAHAHA I MADE FUN OF YOUR NAME)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So no one owns the completionist package anymore. Good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm a consumer, as if I need rights!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lime Tonics posted:

So no one owns the completionist package anymore. Good.

Uh, I do.

See my reddit flair on /r/StarCitizen for details.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/new/

Firesales are starting again.

"reasonable offers will be considered" = "please for the love of God, I made a mistake, is there no justice in world? Please buy this valuable promise of a thing that will never be"

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Not reading 1,000 more posts is MoMA still insisting the game will come out and will be great but even if its ONLY GOOD he doesn't actually care?

I think I speak for all experienced developers here that we love following this project because if you've been coding for long enough, you've probably encountered this exact type of project and you know how it ends up;

Money runs out/over budget because the product owner or whoever didn't have clearly enough defined goals or changed them continually through the project. Self proclaimed 'visionary' guys are the absolute worst.
Blame shifting and major meltdown starts.
Blame shifting and meltdowns continue and increase until either a) everyone capable of finishing the project leaves and the entire thing dies with nothing to show b) someone forces a completely laughable product out the door

I've been in the exact situation this project is (even down to a Sandi type on the scene) so many times, and I really, really want to see how it works when hundreds of millions of dollars and a few thousand obsessive nerds are involved.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm looking forward to MoMA coming back and telling us this is actually real good for the backers, honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chin up commando, things will be bright and you will once again be neon with joy - sometime soon a jpeg of the great Star Citizen forum's catte, Kayak will appear and you will feel full, like love. o7

• Locked thread