Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

With the exception that there are still dozens of other spaces available in those two photos, I love it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Someone posted that in a local facebook group of lovely parking photos and it brought out the crowd that justifies parking in four spaces because someone dinged their door once.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spog posted:

Almost seems designed to kill someone.

Surely it's engineering 101 that if a standard feature requires a 2.5minute instruction video, then something is bloody wrong.

The BMW i8 is just an endless cavalcade of deliberately designed failure.

The emergency openers for the doors are incredibly flimsy and anti intuitive so, when the power fails during an emergency (like the car's on fire) there's a good chance you'll snap the tiny plastic part standing between you and burning to death. It takes two people to open the bonnet and it's almost impossible to do without breaking it and you need to jam it open with a screwdriver to keep it from falling back down. The door for the refuelling point can sometimes take several minutes to open after pressing the button.

And all these things were deliberate design decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 29, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePrs5TyE0A

Lithuanian cops chase a Volvo that deploys a smokescreen

Come on guys, that's not smoke, it's steam, and he didn't "deploy" anything, he just blew his engine. Basically he floors it hard, blowing dark smoke like it's running rich, then something pops and it's all steam from there on out.

It's funny how the video description implies that the driver did it on purpose so everyone watching assumes that's the case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Someone posted that in a local facebook group of lovely parking photos and it brought out the crowd that justifies parking in four spaces because someone dinged their door once.

Because, of course, double parking makes it less likely someone will gently caress with their car. Have these people never heard of the back of the lot?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Because, of course, double parking makes it less likely someone will gently caress with their car. Have these people never heard of the back of the lot?

America

That is why we will not park in the back of the lot.

We would have to walk, and it isn't just laziness..

It is beneath us.

Think I am off? Just get in an argument with one of us in public, we will tell you. "Do you know who I am!?" or "You don't even know who you are messing with!" Because in our minds we are not a regular drone trying to scratch each others eyes out to survive, we are a rapper, actress, singer, head of a gang, olympian, and soldier all wrapped up in one. We believe this because we spend all our time living vicariously through the people we incessantly follow on TV, music, and the internet through social media instead of looking around ourselves long enough to use a blinker, or park properly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

They should have sent a poet.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

B4Ctom1 posted:

America

It is beneath us.

Think I am off? Just get in an argument with one of us in public, we will tell you. "Do you know who I am!?" or "You don't even know who you are messing with!" Because in our minds we are not a regular drone trying to scratch each others eyes out to survive, we are a rapper, actress, singer, head of a gang, olympian, and soldier all wrapped up in one. We believe this because we spend all our time living vicariously through the people we incessantly follow on TV, music, and the internet through social media instead of looking around ourselves long enough to use a blinker, or park properly.

:drat:

All true though. The "American Dream" is a loving disease.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Should have done it on the passenger side to see if they try to drive off before noticing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately damaging property has been branded Not Cool(tm) by goons. But it looks like being cheeky is okay.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I avoid looking at drivers because I don't want to develop prejudices. Everyone is bad including me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately damaging property has been branded Not Cool(tm) by goons. But it looks like being cheeky is okay.

Oh, it's totally Not Cool, but it also would have been funnier.

Frankly, I was torn writing my comment. The irony of damaging your car after parking like an rear end to avoid damaging your car won out.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Just be a Cool Guy™ and get a bike, and don't use parking spots at all!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That looks more like a way to gently caress with a friend than someone who was angry about parking.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

America

It is beneath us.

This is 100% true.

I had something happen the other day, and it was kind of amazing for it's ... stupidity, and transparency. There's a parking lot at a store near where I live, busy, but not horribly tight - people park F250s in it fairly comfortably, F350s would probably be a little interesting, but doable. I pull into a space, perfectly in the lines, between two cars. While I'm in the store, the car to my right/passenger side apparently leaves, and a new one parks in it's place. (The car to THEIR right did not move - still the same car as when I walked away from mine.)

When the new car parks, they parked way crooked, and way too far to their left - like, outside edge of the driver front tire is over both of the double lines dividing the space, and within about 2 inches of my front right tire. Rear driver tire is a solid 10-12" inside their space. When I walked up, I honestly thought they'd probably bumped my front right corner. This car ALSO had those bumpers idiots put on their doors, so that they can slam their doors into other peoples cars when dismounting their chariots with impunity. (This is the stupid part.) Unfortunately, they weren't smart enough to figure out which part of their door extends the furthest, and therefore when they did what they likely always do (slam their door into the car next to them, in this case, mine), there was a nice crease placed in my door.

So, the transparent part - there were a couple other spaces not further away that I'd been able to observe as available during this time. They picked the one next to mine, if I had to guess, because "oh, it's not a nice car, he won't mind". I wanted to point out to them (but didn't, I'm not the confrontational type) ... if you're going to do that, you might want to think a bit further about it. My car has dents in it because it's a rock crawler, and I'm ok with putting dents in it myself. I'm not ok with other people denting it because they're careless. If I were a less restrained person, I might, for example, be inclined to drag a Mud Terrain down the side of your car as I carelessly pull out of the space.

I didn't.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The emergency openers for the doors are incredibly flimsy and anti intuitive so, when the power fails during an emergency (like the car's on fire) there's a good chance you'll snap the tiny plastic part standing between you and burning to death. It takes two people to open the bonnet and it's almost impossible to do without breaking it and you need to jam it open with a screwdriver to keep it from falling back down. The door for the refuelling point can sometimes take several minutes to open after pressing the button.

I saw an I8 at a track day and that awesome hood vent is perfectly placed to throw rocks right into the center of the windshield. Should have gotten a picture but the windshield was cracked top to bottom and side to side.

Happened on the drive home from the dealership on the highway.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

When did they start allowing marketing twats into engineer meetings? If you have to have a backup mechanical mechanism for when (not if) the main system fails, then what was the loving point of the electronic system in the first place? This is just more dumb poo poo dreamed up by people who have never held a wrench. Touchscreen HVAC systems that take your eyes off the road, keyless entry that makes the car less secure, I could go on and on but I know I'm yelling into the void.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gorson posted:

When did they start allowing marketing twats into engineer meetings? If you have to have a backup mechanical mechanism for when (not if) the main system fails, then what was the loving point of the electronic system in the first place? This is just more dumb poo poo dreamed up by people who have never held a wrench. Touchscreen HVAC systems that take your eyes off the road, keyless entry that makes the car less secure, I could go on and on but I know I'm yelling into the void.

I'm sure they would like to avoid a lawsuit if in the event of an accident/fire, the electronic releases fail and a customer is killed because they couldn't get out. Thats not marketing bullshit, its covering your own rear end with basic safety items.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm sure they would like to avoid a lawsuit if in the event of an accident/fire, the electronic releases fail and a customer is killed because they couldn't get out. Thats not marketing bullshit, its covering your own rear end with basic safety items.

Still a terrible idea even with the mechanical backup. The backups can be intentionally designed to be out of the way or difficult to use (or easy to break in the case of the i8), leading to situations like this:
http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-mans-death-chevy-corvette-raises-questions-about-overuse-electronics-cars-1963858

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

You're missing the point. My 15 year old car has no electronic door system. It's all mechanical. It needs no backup system, because the mechanical system works perfectly and is reliable, even in the case of electrical failure or car fire. No lawyers needed. Tell me what is wrong with that system, and what is better about the system in the i8 without using the words "elegant" or "neat-o".

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
How can they use just one backup system and call themselves German

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
These are the engineers who are trying to bring us autonomous cars as well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Gorson posted:

You're missing the point. My 15 year old car has no electronic door system. It's all mechanical. It needs no backup system, because the mechanical system works perfectly and is reliable, even in the case of electrical failure or car fire. No lawyers needed. Tell me what is wrong with that system, and what is better about the system in the i8 without using the words "elegant" or "neat-o".

gently caress you, its neat-o. This isn't supposed to be a boring driving appliance, its supposed to be a halo car with every loving bell and whistle they can think of. Including fancy rear end doors that are electronicly opened so you don't have to take your keys out of your pocket. You seriously seem like the type of person that complains modern cars are too hard to work on because of all them derned sensors and computers nowadays.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its retarded youre retarded

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

go3 posted:

its retarded youre retarded

This. It has become overly complicated to the point of unreliability. Very German engineering. Batteries fail, and can do it suddenly. Hope you don't break off the poorly designed mechanical backup!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I'd ask everyone to just watch the first 40 seconds of the i8 video I posted and tell me that isn't the most poorly designed emergency backup door opener ever made.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Even if you want the electric doors for the coolness factor, why would you make the manual backup so hard to find and operate?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Elmnt80 posted:

gently caress you, its neat-o.

This is BMW distilled to four words.

Or is it five? Is neat-o one word or two words?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm all about neato poo poo but for safety's sake make your backups robust and easy to use/find, and to hell with touchscreens in vehicles.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

gently caress you, its neat-o. This isn't supposed to be a boring driving appliance, its supposed to be a halo car with every loving bell and whistle they can think of. Including fancy rear end doors that are electronicly opened so you don't have to take your keys out of your pocket. You seriously seem like the type of person that complains modern cars are too hard to work on because of all them derned sensors and computers nowadays.

Hostile. I don't work on modern cars, obviously, because my newest car is 15 years old. I'm in IT, so I work with them derned computers every day. I see how shittily everything is "integrated" together in the IT industry and how much of a joke IT security is, and I know that the dickheads at Ford, BMW, et al are just as loving clueless about how unreliability and complication go hand-in-hand. So please, tell me more about what I know and who I am.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Instead of having that little weird clip that apparently breaks all the time, they could've put the door release button into double duty by making it a switch for the electric release and a full on button you can depress for manual release. 2 birds, one stone, cleaner design to boot.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Gorson posted:

Hostile. I don't work on modern cars, obviously, because my newest car is 15 years old. I'm in IT, so I work with them derned computers every day. I see how shittily everything is "integrated" together in the IT industry and how much of a joke IT security is, and I know that the dickheads at Ford, BMW, et al are just as loving clueless about how unreliability and complication go hand-in-hand. So please, tell me more about what I know and who I am.

Lol I'm in IT and I know everything

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

corn in the fridge posted:

He's not wrong tho. And the car makers are proving his point more and more as time passes too.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He's not wrong tho. And the car makers are proving his point more and more as time passes too.

Yeah. In regards to keyless systems: You can use a receiver/sender combo to carry the short range keyless open signal over greater distances. Thus car thieves will have one person walk close to you and another close to your car. Ain't technology wonderful?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

corn in the fridge posted:

Yes that is exactly what I said and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the clarification, noted forums shitposter Corn in the Fridge.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

Instead of having that little weird clip that apparently breaks all the time, they could've put the door release button into double duty by making it a switch for the electric release and a full on button you can depress for manual release. 2 birds, one stone, cleaner design to boot.

is this something you've seen before, or did you come up with this idea. I ask because my mind is kind of blown right now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just common sense. You press the button to open the door.

What do you do when that doesn't work and you start to panic? You push the button harder. Et voilą.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Your suggestion makes too much sense, comrade. You'll have to go on a re-education trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elsa posted:

is this something you've seen before, or did you come up with this idea. I ask because my mind is kind of blown right now.

This here vvv I thought why have 2 mechanisms to open a door when you could just have one. You already have a button, why not use it for two jobs? I'm not aware of any cars that have such a thing but I'd be very surprised if it hasn't already been done.

If it hasn't BMW I'll settle for an M2. Cheers.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's just common sense. You press the button to open the door.

What do you do when that doesn't work and you start to panic? You push the button harder. Et voilą.