Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
AC is going to have the 2015 Ferrari as DLC in like two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Halo14 posted:

What's a good F1 sim to play Norns? I enjoy the Codemasters games but I was wondering about Assetto Corsa or rFactor.

Automobilista is in beta, but has amazing open wheel content.

In a couple weeks Assetto Corsa gets this lovely thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYyJhsBhgqA
The track is garbage, but I can't wait to drive that 2015 Ferrari.

The best modern F1 Sim if you want to get close to the real deal is the mp4-30 in iRacing. But that's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down unless you're real serious about it.

There's a fairly active thread for PC sim stuff here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wouldn't be surprised if people aren't still modding Grand Prix 4, adding in new tracks and cars

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Cheers guys. Yeah I tried Assetto Corsa and it didn't hold my attention for too long, thankfully Steam let me get a full refund for it. I should have grabbed it for cheap during the sales recently :(

I'm not into gaming as much these days but I would like to play something that lets me do the full practice/quali/race weekend for the track they're at that week in real life. I guess F1 2015 and hopefully 2016 best suits my needs.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Halo14 posted:

Cheers guys. Yeah I tried Assetto Corsa and it didn't hold my attention for too long, thankfully Steam let me get a full refund for it. I should have grabbed it for cheap during the sales recently :(

I'm not into gaming as much these days but I would like to play something that lets me do the full practice/quali/race weekend for the track they're at that week in real life. I guess F1 2015 and hopefully 2016 best suits my needs.

2016 looks pretty good. If Dirt Rally is any indication of the level of quality we're getting. Be excited.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Oh stop being a smug rear end. I don't drive any real car at all. But stick shifting in sims isn't loving difficult.

I love this forum

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

julian assflange posted:

I love this forum

I spent a large portion of my life on a Aircraft Carrier. Didn't really need a car doing circles in the middle of some giant body of water.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

My favourite part of this thread is all the backbiting and apparent grudges while I barely remember who any of you even are

No wait, not favourite, the opposite

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

My favourite part of this thread is all the backbiting and apparent grudges while I barely remember who any of you even are

No wait, not favourite, the opposite

I'm a gay. A big gay.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

learnincurve posted:

Not yet, looking at the footage Ferarri were full of poo poo when he said he was staying off the kerbs as he was clearly on the red solid car killers. My wild theory is that something came off his car and cut his tyre.

It'll be his fault, somehow

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Gordon Murrays 2014 ideas to make cars F1 cheaper, look different, increase overtaking and provide a better show in general:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Gordon-Murray-on-F1.pdf
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/podcast-gordon-murray

a) no carbon fibre for suspension arms and require them to be symmetrical
b) straight front and rear wings out of one or two pieces
c) more freedom for center of car aero
d) 18" wheels and low profile tyres
e) smooth bodies without barge boards etc
f) no telemetry
g) no driver to pit radio
h) less downforce

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

nsaP posted:

I learned on an 85 Golf I'd love to see you give that a go with your sim practice

I learned with a 1999 Corsa and I swear that lil fucker had the hardest clutch in the history of clutches, I had to stand on it to shift.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm a gay. A big gay.

Lewis Hamiltion account spotted.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Riso posted:

Gordon Murrays 2014 ideas to make cars F1 cheaper, look different, increase overtaking and provide a better show in general:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Gordon-Murray-on-F1.pdf

f) no telemetry
h) less downforce

I love Gordon Murray :allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

f) no telemetry
h) less downforce

varies wildly between good ideas and "we didn't used to do this so we should never do this" ideas. like banning telemetry/pit radio is just dumb, it will accomplish literally nothing good, literally nothing at all except for when it's responsible for ruining races. "yeah the best driver on the day lost a deserved win because of a simple problem we weren't allowed to know about" honestly this poo poo is so just stupid.

i would love to see stronger, less aero-dependent cars, but what happens when you lose aero and lose downforce? the cars get slower. and for me, as long as they're still fast by some metric, i don't care about absolute lap times. but obviously a lot of people are going to bitch and whine that the cars aren't getting faster every single year.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Things like this are real Ship of Theseus

How much can you change F1 regulations before it becomes a fundamentally different type of racing, especially when evolution is the name of the F1 game
I don't have the answer.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I say we get rid of fans like wicka and drivers like Britney.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ban riso-to-forums telemetry

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's not so much telemetry but pit to driver radio!

You're terrible!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i agonized over which metaphor to use but the internet seems more like telemetry than radio

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I hope at least we can agree it's poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the internet? it is definitely poo poo

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Ban frauds. Formula One would be saved.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Norns posted:

I have a 300 dollar set of pedals...the answer is no. It's missing that clutch bite. I haven't used a hydraulic pedal set. So it might still be possible. Still feels really nice. But diffrent.

I actually found it easier to shift in my buddies veloster turbo than I do with some cars in the rig. So who knows knows?

Another classic.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Agreed. Then declare Adrian Newey a honourary fraud because his cars are obviously cheating and not fair. Also give Ferrari the lifetime achievement award for a fraudulent team because there's no way they can get anything done to win races.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Another classic.

:thumbsup:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Seriously the amount of poo poo you guys are giving Norns is hilarious given that despite what you may think driving your Honda civic on the highway has zero correlation or bearing on what its like driving an F1 car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I learned to laugh at myself and my stupid hobbies a long time ago. Clown on

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Also, even as far away as sim racing is from real racing, it's a drat sight closer to being an authority than "It was like it in the 80s".

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Sims in the 80s were pretty bad tbqh

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Pirelli says Sebs blown tyre was structurally fine, probably ran over some debris.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

Also, even as far away as sim racing is from real racing, it's a drat sight closer to being an authority than "It was like it in the 80s".

To be fair, I have talked to an 80s F1 driver about what it was like.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Riso posted:

Pirelli says Sebs blown tyre was structurally fine, probably ran over some debris.

They'd say that

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I mean did they not watch the race? Doesn't look ok structurally to me :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I still love Merc is sticking to the brake by wire failure for Nico. Apparently that controls his loving arms as well?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I still love Merc is sticking to the brake by wire failure for Nico. Apparently that controls his loving arms as well?

If his brakes were hosed turning in would've just induced more understeer and scrubbed off any braking he did have. I don't buy the brake thing but if that is what happened I would minimize any steering input until the speed was down as well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

If his brakes were hosed turning in would've just induced more understeer and scrubbed off any braking he did have. I don't buy the brake thing but if that is what happened I would minimize any steering input until the speed was down as well.

Seriously this is exactly what you do when you're too fast for your turn in point, brake in a straight line until your speed comes down enough that you're able to turn in.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
ban autism from F1

make f1 grate again

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd love to see the telemetry, but he certainly didn't seem to be entering that corner hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I'd love to see the telemetry, but he certainly didn't seem to be entering that corner hot?

Its pretty easy to see when they lock these tires up which is why I don't necessarily buy that it was the brakes. Maybe he lost brake pressure or something hosed up with the brake by wire that gave him a soft pedal and so he couldn't slow down, that's the only thing I can think of that would explain that beyond "Nico can't handle any sort of pressure"

edit: also worth noting that a brake pressure problem would likely be addressed by adjusting the brake bias which would make the car more prone to locking up, which is why I find the whole thing unlikely.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 6, 2016

• Locked thread