Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you humanely put down a beloved pet?
shovel
detergent in his soup
the transporter
his meows are shrill and offputting
View Results

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
just gently caress your cat and pretend your downsy kid did it like everyone else op no NDA needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

what about that goon that crushed a cat with his girth? is he still around?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lGGrw7b9xrM

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with you people?

OP, if you're that concerned about judgement from a vet, take it in and tell them it's a stray you've been feeding and you've grown concerned about it's health. Tell them you'd like it to get better if possible and, if not, you'd like it to be comfortable.

Also not bonding with an animal after 4 years makes you sound like sociopath.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
Post this same thread in Pet Island please

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Its hosed up that you want to give it to a vet when there are so many starving ATMs around

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

Kill your family OP, this is a test

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I miss my first family dog. He was an irish terrier named berti who was unbelievably dumb but a total teddybear. He'd go around the house letting himself be pet by everybody, if one person was tired of it he'd go to the next one. I also broke double digits at the "pretend to throw the ball but don't actually throw the ball game" he was such a retard.

When it was time to put him down I stayed at home and cried because I couldn't bear to watch it, I wasn't living at home anymore. He was a good dog.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I find transporter 2 has a heavier dvd case, at least in the special edition

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
drive out to a vet that works near farms and poo poo, like out in the boonies. they are more hardcore and have no problem offing inconvenient animals

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I heard a small flask of hydrocyanic acid will do the job, maybe

or maybe not

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you don't care about the cat just put it in a trash bag and throw it in a dumpster.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
No, OP, keep that cat alive for the next 20 years like the rest of these dumb loving goons insist

gently caress that, if I start vomiting every day and making GBS threads on the couch, I've told my wife to take a shovel straight to my dome

It won't be long now

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ElGroucho posted:

vomiting every day and making GBS threads on the couch,

This is a good life for a cat, to the best of my knowledge

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
People who have cats instead of dogs deserve every brain worm they get if you ask me

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think if a pet has a hosed up illness or injury and will cost several thousand dollars to have a low chance of getting better, you have the vet put that pet down and get a new pet maybe.

They're not people, they're animals.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Why would the vet judge you? It's their primary job to kill animals.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know what people or the op are arguing about. If the cats that old and that sick then yeah it should probably be put down. Unless the op was reluctant to do that for some reason because of cost/embarassment/I have no idea??

Do vets tend to yell at people if their pets get too old? I've never seen that any time I've had to take our really ancient pets in

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

vets that will submit an ANDA

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bundle of Keys posted:

Why would the vet judge you? It's their primary job to kill animals.

This is what I was gonna ask. Like, why are you coming up with plans to discreetly kill your cat when you can literally just take it to the vet and have the cat gassed for a nominal fee.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like this relationship isn't working out for you op, but I would take it to the humane society first.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Or just like, release the cat into the wild? No one will wonder where it's gone.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

This is what I was gonna ask. Like, why are you coming up with plans to discreetly kill your cat when you can literally just take it to the vet and have the cat gassed for a nominal fee.

For a slightly bigger fee they'll let you watch the process. I hear this is how Steve Spielberg got the idea for schindlers list.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Chrpno posted:

I heard a small flask of hydrocyanic acid will do the job, maybe

or maybe not

make sure to take your cat to a shelter before drinking it tho, op

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hmm yes I should ask GBS about this kind of thing when this kind of thing is a thing

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
if you go to do this, the vet will not care

The braindead dropout vet tech girls will despise you and whisper wicca curses under their breath, though

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I had to put my 17 year old cat down last week. She also had chronic kidney failure, and only weighed five pounds. Apparently she had lost over 90% of her kidney function.

It was the saddest thing I've ever done, but her quality of life was not going to improve, and she was miserable, lying around with her chin on her water dish.

I drove her dead body to the arts and crafts store to buy an ink pad, so that I could take her little paw prints.

Then I buried her in the woods where we used to live, although my shovel broke after I had only dug down around two feet, so I'm pretty sure raccoons are eating her right now.

Anyway, if your cat has chronic kidney failure, there's not a lot that you can do for them. Putting your cat to sleep costs around $150.

RIP Mr. Mittens. You were a great cat.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Stay safe Mr. Mittens ghost.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
drat you drove around with your pet's corpse? That's brutal. When my pet died I was too numb to do any of that poo poo I just signed whatever they handed me and let them incinerate his corpse. They did an acrylic paw print at the clinic though that was nice.

Also it was February so there was no chance I could dig him a respectable grave in the frozen dirt.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

jwh posted:

I had to put my 17 year old cat down last week.

She ... she ... her

... her ... she ... her ... her

... her ... her

... her ... her

RIP Mr. Mittens. You were a great cat.

I think your dead cat may be broken.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Burying dead things is dumb but yeah burying dead animals is especially dumb cause somethings just gonna get at them. Always incinerate your dead pets and snort them

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
devour your dead pets, or its an insult to the starving african children you bourgeois scum

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

a hole-y ghost posted:

You took that line from xXx starring Vin Diesel

I've never seen XXX starring Vin Diesel.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Nuts and Gum posted:

How do I find a judgement free vet? my cat is old as hell and has chronic kidney disease and weighs 5 1/2 pounds and pukes everywhere. I've only had him like 4 yeras but he's started getting sick half that time, so I barely know the guy. feel bad but my couch is hosed.

What do you mean by "judgement free"? The majority of vets realize that people can't always treat everything because it cost money that many of us don't have. Unless you're talking about going to a vet you have no history with for the purpose of euthanizing your cat...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

What do you mean by "judgement free"? The majority of vets realize that people can't always treat everything because it cost money that many of us don't have. Unless you're talking about going to a vet you have no history with for the purpose of euthanizing your cat...

From what I gather he plans to euthanize his cat at home then take it to the vet to dispose of the carcass, but doesn't want the fact that the cat's autopsy revealed detergent in its stomach to be made public because it would ruin his political career/social standing.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

City of Tampa posted:

drive out to a vet that works near farms and poo poo, like out in the boonies. they are more hardcore and have no problem offing inconvenient animals

Yeah, this is true.

Also, if your current very knows the cat's history and that it is miserable and you have the blood work backing it up, they won't judge you for wanting to euthanize.

Unless you're one of the weirdos who calls the clinic, says you don't want to pay for euthanasia and demands that the staff just give you the euthanasia solution to take home.

I accidentally laughed at the dude who asked this. Euthanasia solution is a controlled substance. I understand he was poor, but really?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Could I have enough solution to put down let's say 160 pounds of cat?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Applewhite posted:

From what I gather he plans to euthanize his cat at home then take it to the vet to dispose of the carcass, but doesn't want the fact that the cat's autopsy revealed detergent in its stomach to be made public because it would ruin his political career/social standing.

Ah. They won't necropsy the cat, that's expensive. although he could take the cat to the shelter for disposal. Or put it in the trash like people do with dead squirrels. Slow poison would be a terrible way to go, though.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Reminder: all cats deserve death but especially sick ones. Do the right thing. Kill a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Please. All my cat does all day is post on the somethingawful forums instead of doing work because his job and life are pointless.

• Locked thread