Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So basically they saw that one idiot was getting a ton of attention by making an online petition and said "we gotta get in on that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Curious George is back again, in live-action form:

quote:

Andrew Adamson in negotiations to direct and co-write Curious George, a live-action adaptation for Universal Pictures based on the children’s book series written by Margret & H.A. Rey. Adamson, who showed a flair for family fare in directing, producing and scripting the first two installments of The Chronicles of Narnia series, will executive produce.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/andrew-adamson-to-direct-live-action-curious-george-for-universal-1201800317/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I thought the misleading trailers discussion seemed familiar. Turns out we had a thread on the subject about a year ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drive is mentioned early in that discussion and that's another movie where an audience sued because the movie was not an action flick like advertised.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Drive is mentioned early in that discussion and that's another movie where an audience sued because the movie was not an action flick like advertised.

What?

There were some brutal shoot 'm' ups and executions in that movie.

I guess "Action" means all the time running and gunning to some people but drat.

This movie explores complex human relationships? Oh gently caress this.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I thought the misleading trailers discussion seemed familiar. Turns out we had a thread on the subject about a year ago.

Samuel L. Jackson in the trailers for Deep Blue Sea was misleading, however I don't want my money back.

I'm honestly not completely against the idea on principle of someone suing over a trailer. Misrepresenting a character as being more involved than they are is somewhat understandable, but when you are using largely footage that isn't in the film at what point is it a bait and switch?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fallen Rib
Remind me if the Dusk til Dawn trailer mentioned vampires at all because there would be a missed opportunity there either way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Madkal posted:

Remind me if the Dusk til Dawn trailer mentioned vampires at all because there would be a missed opportunity there either way.

The ads for From Dusk Til Dawn featured the vampires so heavily that I spent the first half wondering if I'd seen commercials for the wrong movie when I actually saw it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

The ads for From Dusk Til Dawn featured the vampires so heavily that I spent the first half wondering if I'd seen commercials for the wrong movie when I actually saw it.

I could tell it was a foot fetish video.

What if Tarantino had directed Robin Williams in RV?

I need access to this alternate universe.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

whydirt posted:

I mean there probably is some threshold where a trailer and the movie it advertises are so different that you could reasonably have a case. I don't think Suicide Squad meets that threshold.

Those trailers made Joker look like the main villain instead of an unneeded B-plot.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

This is about as stupid as the whiny nerds who tried to get the Better Business Bureau to shut down EA because they didn't like the ending of Mass Effect 3.

gently caress those ME sequels. Such trash

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

effectual posted:

gently caress those ME sequels. Such trash

The second game is widely considered as good by people who played it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

True that, I don't think that the series took off until that second game. ME2 had better gameplay, a more diverse and interesting character selection, and better written storyline over that first game. I think it also helped that it had a ton of DLC for it, so it felt like more than one game came out between ME2 and ME3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Going forth, movies should have a list of contents, like you have on food. Something like:

Characters
Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) 27%; Japan Lady (Karen Fukuhara) 11%; Australia Guy (Australian Guy) 3%

Scenes
Dialogue 65%; Quips and Banter 34%; Victimless Mayhem 15%; Bloodless Action 14%; Intrique 8%; Brooding 5%; Romance 4%; Mild Patriotism 3%; Swearing and Adult Language 1%

These could be written by film majors, to alleviate unemployment.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

raditts posted:

I was one of the rare lucky people who knew nothing about FDTD when I first watched it. It was on some video streaming service and the description was conveniently vague about the supernatural goings on in the latter half. I saw Tarantino and figured it was a crime movie. I was very pleasantly surprised

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder what the scifi movie Tarantino said he wants to write will look like.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I wonder what the scifi movie Tarantino said he wants to write will look like.

I'd hope he would pull something like the Enzo Castellari Bronx movies or Sergio Martino's Hands Of Steel or 2019: After The Fall Of New York, but it sounds like he wants to do something like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, with people getting replaced and paranoia and poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I was one of the rare lucky people who knew nothing about FDTD when I first watched it. It was on some video streaming service and the description was conveniently vague about the supernatural goings on in the latter half. I saw Tarantino and figured it was a crime movie. I was very pleasantly surprised

I thought it was a darkish humor buddy film.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

I played it and thought it was a tenth as good as the first. Getting rid of the unique 'overheating' railgun mechanic in favor of ammo should've tipped me off :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The conversation with the Reaper in the first one is a fantastic sci-fi moment that the series never tops, so that's probably the best one.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

My parents rented it for me from Blockbuster the same year it came out because they rented some piece of poo poo they knew I probably wouldn't want to watch. I didn't ask for it, my mom just recognized George Clooney from ER and that's why she picked it. I grew up on action and horror/sci fi movies so it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but I remember bringing it up and asking them if they had any idea what they had rented for me. Not what any of us were expecting.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The conversation with the Reaper in the first one is a fantastic sci-fi moment that the series never tops, so that's probably the best one.

Convincing the main boss to eat a bullet was pretty great too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I hate to say it but it's gotta be nostalgia speaking for you guys because the 1st mass effect's gameplay is complete trash and it's aged horribly. The story stuff and characters aren't even THAT good to save it.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 10, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

hemale in pain posted:

I hate to say it but it's gotta be nostalgia speaking for you guys because the 1st mass effect's gameplay is complete trash and it's aged horribly. The story stuff and characters aren't even THAT good to save it.

I think it depends somewhat on the class you picked, because I had fun as a sniper rifle person in ME1, but ME2 was clearly not designed for that class at all and was a horrible slog because you mostly just had to use the crappy little pistol, because they made sniper rifle ammo extremely scarce and let you carry like six rounds of it at a time. I also didn't like the narrative shift: ME1's story is a dumb fun space adventure and then ME2 and ME3 just get really dark and misanthropic in the most juvenile, inept ways possible. The writing in ME1 wasn't much better but it was at least focused on creating the fantasy that you were having a fun and exciting adventure instead of a whirlwind tour of "bad" places.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't play video games, watch anime.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Only play video games that have an anime based on them, or which are based on anime.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Mass Effect 2, you can play a space marine who headbutts monsters and pirates at high velocity before romancing a scaly dinosaur alien. Sounds anime to me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm willing to forgive a lot of flaws in the original Mass Effect because it let you throw people into outer space and load your shotgun with explosive shells. Admittedly, this does wear thin over the course of 40 hours, but then being bloated is an issue that plagues a lot of modern RPGs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The worst, hardest part of Mass Effect is simply getting out of the tutorial level. I'm not kidding, Mass Effect was the first game i bought for the 360 that wasn't Rock Band or guitar hero, that loving game sat unplayed for like two months before I manned up and found out there was a playable game in there.

Mass Effect 2 blows it out of the water. On one hand I sort of lament how much of the RPG stuff was stripped out but honestly everything else was so much better i forgave it. Mass Effect 3 was an insane regression, I'm not just talking about the ending but everything from AAA EA game beginning to the end. I got it for free, as a "we're sorry we tricked you into buying a non-game" consolation prize on Origin, but I have no idea how a company that made Dragon age 1 and Mass Effect 2 has sunk to the level of making everything they've made since.

If you were to make a movie in that universe, it needs to just be Mass Effect 2, and the franchise it kickstarts needs to skip 3, maybe just do the first game as the second movie before the andromeda soft reboot

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
ME1 - great world building, good RPG, horrible shooter, really great villain in Saren, all the stuff with the Reapers and Protheans is excellently written and very well fleshed out

ME2 - good shooter, horrible RPG, some really great characters with involving stories, but the overall plot is a meaningless tangent to the Reapers

ME3 - best overal gameplay in the series and best combination of shooting and rpg, terrible, terrible villains (that anime guy, wtf?), why is everything so centred on humanity and how humanity are the greatest and most important? the whole strength of the series is the whole universe building in the first game! Also how come the reapers have gone from one of them can nearly destroy the citadel and combined fleet all on its own, to hundreds of them can't even capture a single planet? And the ending just feels like a betrayal of the whole series premise on agency and the 'philosophical' choices it forces you to choose between have no resonance with the first two games at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

syscall girl posted:

I could tell it was a foot fetish video.

I watched FDTD recently, and you weren't kidding. I think last time I saw it was on a Saturday afternoon, edited for TV, about 10 years ago, and yeah, I had forgotten all about everything really.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mass Effect 2 and 3 have loving garbage stories. They're only saved by characters people like and good gameplay. Which is neat and all, but there are games out there that doesn't gently caress up a promising story and have good gameplay.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's really nothing in the latter installments that quite matches the stuff in mass effect 1. they completely nailed the first one's final act too which is not common enough in RPGs or sci-fi games. the gameplay gets better as the series progresses but at the expense of everything else: the plot, the dialogue, the soundtrack, the villains, the RPG elements, the level design, the color (everything in 2 and 3 looks like you're seeing it through a brown filter)

maybe it's just nostalgia but 1 made me go "drat, that was cool" a heck of a lot more than the others

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

To bring this slightly back on topic, whatever happened to the planned Mass Effect film?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

maybe it's just nostalgia but 1 made me go "drat, that was cool" a heck of a lot more than the others

It just depends on which genre you like more.

Mass Effect 1 was a deliberate homage to early-80s spacey sci-fi adventure. It also has maybe the greatest mid-reveal and back half of any RPG ever.
Mass Effect 2 was a more Firefly, Whedon-esque, character-focused affair.
Mass Effect 3 was the other two games fed through Heinlein and generic right-wing military science fiction.

What has continued to stay with me after these games was how good the art direction did "generic 'clean future' science fiction". I see elements of Mass Effect constantly in cinema - Oblivion is coming instantly to mind.

Samuel Clemens posted:

To bring this slightly back on topic, whatever happened to the planned Mass Effect film?

It lies moldering in the grave with the Splinter Cell movie.

http://screenrant.com/mass-effect-movie-writer-mark-protosevich/

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Probably just lack of interest, they arent making yearly installments of Mass Effect games so unlike Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There's an interesting note in this article that Ubisoft's movie studio has "tell a new story rather than replicate the story of the video game we're adapting" as one of its key tenants, which is a good approach in general because video game stories are really not structured or paced in a way that's suitable for a 2-ish hour film, and it makes sense for Ubisoft in particular because the IPs they own (Assassin's Creed, Tom Clancy and Watch_Dogs) are premise and setting driven rather than driven by any marketable protagonist or single story. It'd work for other studio's IPs too, though, in my opinion. Just a new, but tonally consistent story where you have a guy called Snake/lady called Faith/dragon called Spyro, etc etc.

I'm glad studios are still experimenting with video game adpations, because I feel like there is a way to do them, it's just that nobody's really hit the mark yet, and it's interesting to see people try and make it happen.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm positive someone could make at least a decent film out of the first contact war

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like Splinter Cell as a grizzled, older Jason Bourne brought in to fend off some threat is a fairly simple and safe movie to make, you just need the right actor. Which honestly I'm having trouble picturing, most of the good ones would have been really good ten years ago.

Also one would think DreamWorks could easily vomit up a Rabbids/Rayman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

Maybe if you'd never played a Bioware game before. Otherwise it was just the latest version of the same plot twist they'd used in every other game they made up to that point where the big bad guy is actually being controlled by an even bigger and badder ancient evil. KotOR even had an ancient evil giant spaceship controlling the villain that you defeat by killing the villain so your space fleet can deliver the coup de grace while it's distracted.

• Locked thread