Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Reasonable is fine. It's just a lot of people decide they are going to eat clean and then guilt their significant others into doing the same by saying if they don't then they'll never be successful. While I understand that, I hate kale and brown rice tastes like dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rice is only a base for sweet pepper sauce.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CubanMissile posted:

Reasonable is fine. It's just a lot of people decide they are going to eat clean and then guilt their significant others into doing the same by saying if they don't then they'll never be successful. While I understand that, I hate kale and brown rice tastes like dirt.

yeah pretty much this. Compromise and conversations are perfectly fine, but bullshit guilt and manipulation tactics can just :fuckoff:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

That's a tough thing to give up. When I see vegans cheat, it's usually for bacon.

For me it would be steak

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's probably easier for me because I am not a terribly picky eater. I can find something at just about any restaurant, like spicy food, and will try pretty much any cuisine.

Miracle Whip and blue cheese are dealbreakers, though. If you like either of those then I question your actual humanity.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's probably easier for me because I am not a terribly picky eater. I can find something at just about any restaurant, like spicy food, and will try pretty much any cuisine.

Miracle Whip and blue cheese are dealbreakers, though. If you like either of those then I question your actual humanity.

Miracle whip vs mayo is a time honored deathfight. I will admit to keeping both in the house but I wont tell you which one I will fite you for real if you put it on a turkey sandwich for me

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Both are gross and make me want to vomit just by smell alone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I forgot sweet pickles - they are perhaps an even bigger abomination than Miracle Whip and blue cheese.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Blue cheese is delicious

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

Blue cheese is delicious

welp guess you can pick food :haw:

but still everyones tastes are different, so insisting someone eating something or not is just a really annoying thing to do. Try new poo poo for sure and if you are someones guest be polite and eat politely even if its goddamn ghastly I dunno it just seems like courtesy is all. :shrug:

I tried sea urchin once. there is no NOPE hard enough for doing it again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

CubanMissile posted:

You are not cooking it right :colbert:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I forgot sweet pickles - they are perhaps an even bigger abomination than Miracle Whip and blue cheese.

Holy gently caress sweet pickles are gross as poo poo yuck

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Azuth0667 posted:

You are not cooking it right :colbert:

A lot of people don't get that brown rice and white rice cook differently and just think rice is rice. I've had to explain this a bunch of times to people who refused to eat anything I cook with brown rice because they made it one time and it was gritty poo poo because it was only partially cooked.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

tell me more about the foods you like

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
lol if you dont buy triple star 88 EXTRA SUPER PREMIUM rice by the 50lb bag with three elephants and poo poo on the front

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tears In A Vial posted:

tell me more about the foods you like

Tomatoes are terrible and very restaurant has tomatoes in 90% of their dishes, it's terrible

I go out for Asian food mostly to avoid that bullshit

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomatoes are terrible and very restaurant has tomatoes in 90% of their dishes, it's terrible

that is interesting where do you think your distaste for tomatoes comes from also why are you a big baby

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomatoes are terrible

This is a wrong opinion and you should feel terrible for having it.

:c00lbutt:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Guys guys guys I hate to interrupt foodchat but I think I've been m'ladied IRL.

I was visiting family for a few days and went out for drinks with a couple of (male) friends I hadn't seen in ages, and met some of their (also male) friends. One of them, whom I had never met before, spent almost the entire time staring at me and stroking my hand and forearm. Occasionally he would tell me I was pretty, but had ugly man-hands and other 'negs'. Unfortunately every time I attempted to extricate my arm, he started ranting about the evils of Islam, immigration and non-traditional gender roles. Everyone else around the table just kind of ignored him and I was having a pretty good time, apart from the weird petting.

Later on my friends asked why I hadn't just slapped him and shrugged his behaviour off as him having a bad day. Uusually they only meet up to go for a boys' night so probably never see him getting his creep on when encountering a :siren:female:siren: . Apparently he used to be less racist but they still keep him around for old time's sake or something. :cripes:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cheetah7071 posted:

Is "go out for asian food" code for "go to costco and pick up a pallet of ramen?" because in my experience that's all tomato-haters ever eat.

tomatos are amazing, versatile, and delicious. That's why they're in everything you goon.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Onions make me violently ill and it's irritating that most dishes come with them by default.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Onions make me violently ill and it's irritating that most dishes come with them by default.

What about garlic?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lady Demelza posted:

Guys guys guys I hate to interrupt foodchat but I think I've been m'ladied IRL.

I was visiting family for a few days and went out for drinks with a couple of (male) friends I hadn't seen in ages, and met some of their (also male) friends. One of them, whom I had never met before, spent almost the entire time staring at me and stroking my hand and forearm. Occasionally he would tell me I was pretty, but had ugly man-hands and other 'negs'. Unfortunately every time I attempted to extricate my arm, he started ranting about the evils of Islam, immigration and non-traditional gender roles. Everyone else around the table just kind of ignored him and I was having a pretty good time, apart from the weird petting.

Later on my friends asked why I hadn't just slapped him and shrugged his behaviour off as him having a bad day. Uusually they only meet up to go for a boys' night so probably never see him getting his creep on when encountering a :siren:female:siren: . Apparently he used to be less racist but they still keep him around for old time's sake or something. :cripes:

thank you for the healthy back on topic crap even though its creepy as gently caress and yeah shoulda done the ol yoink and smack maneuver for that poo poo.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Azuth0667 posted:

What about garlic?

I like the taste of garlic so i put up with it. I don't think it's as bad or as fast as onions though. I can eat italian food or season my food with garlic and get heartburn or a little Ill, if I eat anything at all that was cooked with / in / on onions I'm blowing my rectum out within an hour.

One of my Exes said I just needed to build up a tolerance so when it was her night to cook, unbeknownst to me, she would slip powdered / minced onion into my food in quantities you couldn't quite taste.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I like the taste of garlic so i put up with it. I don't think it's as bad or as fast as onions though. I can eat italian food or season my food with garlic and get heartburn or a little Ill, if I eat anything at all that was cooked with / in / on onions I'm blowing my rectum out within an hour.

One of my Exes said I just needed to build up a tolerance so when it was her night to cook, unbeknownst to me, she would slip powdered / minced onion into my food in quantities you couldn't quite taste.

That sounds like a genetic thing then my goondolances.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Is "go out for asian food" code for "go to costco and pick up a pallet of ramen?" because in my experience that's all tomato-haters ever eat.

tomatos are amazing, versatile, and delicious. That's why they're in everything you goon.

Tomatoes are the exact opposite of delicious

Asian food is good anyways so preferring it isn't exactly a burden

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

raw onions are bad, cooked onions are delicious

and the opposite with spinach

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Tomatoes are the exact opposite of delicious

Asian food is good anyways so preferring it isn't exactly a burden

Have you tried chicken tikka masala?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stinky_Pete posted:

Have you tried chicken tikka masala?

Yes. I can tolerate cooked tomatoes in small quantities as a background flavor (e.g., lightly sauced pasta, pizza) but raw tomatoes or tomatoes as the primary flavor are just horrid

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Rationalization Hamster
A creature which lives in a woman’s brain, and feverishly spins the hamster wheel which helps her rationalize and justify her thoughts, behavior and actions regardless of how counterintuitive they may be. No amount of logic or reason can stop the hamster from spinning. Coined by the blogger Roissy. Her hamster will (for example) become apparent when she REFUSES to acknowledge the possibility that a man is simply not interested in her. She will convince herself “he’s a jerk” or “he must be gay” rather than accept the truth. The dialogue in her own head has no place in reality. The hamster also convinces “strong and independent” women who openly declare they “don’t need a man” (while simultaneously seeking one) that men are somehow “intimidated” by them . . . instead of accepting that she is best left to be “strong and independent” on her own for as long as possible. Preferably forever.

xlanciferionx
Apr 18, 2004
recovering suicide victim
I love that how they never see how they have a rationalization hamster working overtime in their own heads.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My first male crush did turn out to be gay. This was middle school and I didn't fibd out for another 15 years. He apologized to me for being kind of a dick but by that time I didn't really care either way and hope his life is going fine and good and etc.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love how in threads people always attempt to justify why they can't eat the most basic foods like tomatoes or cucumbers, or even mayo on a sandwich.

If it's not a medically diagnosed food allergy, you're a huge pussy if you can't eat something regularly sold at a supermarket.

If you can't handle raw onion or tomatoes your parents failed you badly. But make no mistake, it's still your fault.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 20, 2016

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Tumble posted:

I love how in these threads people always attempt to justify why they can't eat the most basic foods like tomatoes or cucumbers, or even mayo on a sandwich.

If it's not a medically diagnosed food allergy, you're a huge pussy if you can't eat something regularly sold at a supermarket.

If you can't handle raw onion or tomatoes your parents failed you badly. But make no mistake, it's still your fault.

I agree. Mushrooms can gently caress off though

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Benny Harvey posted:

I agree. Mushrooms can gently caress off though

Depends on the kind try some morels.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tumble posted:

I love how in threads people always attempt to justify why they can't eat the most basic foods like tomatoes or cucumbers, or even mayo on a sandwich.

Harsh, but fair. As long as you don't consider Miracle Whip, blue cheese, or sweet pickles to be edible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Harsh, but fair. As long as you don't consider Miracle Whip, blue cheese, or sweet pickles to be edible.

that is thrice ambiguous nongendered internetperson . I stand as champion as the first, fan of the second and ok maybe you are right on the third.

but still come on now.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Many moons ago, in the great city of Chicago, I stood in line with other members of my 3rd grade class. Outfitted in a god-awful uniform comprised of a red shirt, blue clip-on tie with little American flags, dark blue pants, and black “church shoes”, I waited in line at the only outdoor water fountain after recess with about 30 other kids. (Super relevant: we had to change back in to our uniforms with “church shoes” after recess before entering the building, or Jesus would get all worked up about it.)

The “exceptional student of the week” umpteen times in a row was Brad Richie (I used his real name because it’s just too perfect). Brad was in charge of making sure the line moved quickly at the water fountain after recess, so he’d stand there with his finger on the button and his nose three inches from your ear counting “One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, STOP!”

But any time a pretty GIRL mounted the stepstool to reach the fountain, Brad changed his method of counting. It went something like this:

“Oneeeeeee Miss…issss…ippi . . .[long drawn out breath] Twooooooo Miss…issss…ippi . . . [long drawn out breath] Threeee . . . etc.”
My first encounter with White Knighting was Brad Richie.

Clearly I was a little behind Brad in my development, because I didn’t even notice girls at the time. I honestly had no idea they were getting preferential treatment by Brad simply because he thought they were cute. In my young mind, there were just “some kids” being treated better than “other kids.”

I was always too smart and persuasive to do my own dirty work, so I enlisted the slow kid to go to the teacher and blow the whistle on Brad’s gross mismanagement of authority. The response from our chick teacher was exactly what you might expect:

“Don’t tattle-tale on your classmates. Brad is just being a gentleman.”

Deep inside my 3rd grade brain, I started to ponder. Gentleman. Hmmm… Gentleman… Let’s think about this for a moment; a gentleman is what I’m supposed to be to my mother and my sisters… Wait a minute! My mother and my sisters are GIRLS! Is Brad letting them drink from the fountain twice as long as the rest of us because they’re GIRLS?

Nah, that’s just silly. Those girls are not his sisters or his mother, and girls are poo poo soccer players who don’t think farts are funny. They’re ok, but no boy in his right mind would go out of his way to be extra nice to them, so I must be way off base here. Or am I? I don’t know. I’m confused.

But there was still injustice taking place in the water fountain line, so I decided to put an end to it. Knowing I’d never be “exceptional student of the week”, I came up with an alternate plan of attack. I wrote up a little flyer in not-so-secret secret code, snuck in to the teacher’s lounge during an impromptu bathroom break to make copies of it, assembled all the guys on the soccer field during recess, and unleashed my plan.

After recess, when once again the line for the water fountain was stretching half-way back to the monkey bars, all the boys waited patiently for the first little girl to reach the fountain. When she did, all of us lifted our voices in unison and said:

“ONE MISSISSIPPI, TWO MISSISSIPPI, THREE MISSISSIPPI, STOP!”
Thus was the end of Brad Richie’s beta supplication at the water fountain. We only had to do it two or three times for him to get the picture – and it was worth every demerit I received for unruly behavior plus the paddling in front of the entire class for sneaking in to the teacher’s lounge to make copies. Brad ratted me out after launching a full scale investigation and bribing the slow kid with seedless grapes (you can’t make this poo poo up.)

After that incident, most of the little girls started treating me differently, and the Queen Bee of the bunch took action. To this day, I still remember her walking up to me and calling me a “meanie jerk” who wanted “girls to be thirsty all day” because I wasn’t a “gentleman.”

I remember that conversation clearly even though it was decades ago, because I got yet another paddling for calling her a “booger-john”, but she didn’t get in trouble at all for calling me a “meanie jerk”. Don’t ask me where the term booger-john came from or what it meant, but I picked it up from my cousins in South Carolina. All I know is that my first encounter with unequal consequences based on gender came at the hands of my 3rd grade teacher, Ms. Bethany Auclair.

Mentu’s Sixth Law of Dickatry: Women will gladly embrace gender inequality when it yields preferential outcomes. This is why no man should ever take their bullshit demands seriously.

At first I didn’t really understand her hostility, because my actions were completely aimed at Brad, not the girls. My intention was never to have the girls receive less water – I just wanted Brad to stick with the program. Had we all benefitted from the long drawn-out version of the counting, I would have never said a word.

The water fountain incident was a long time ago, and the stakes are much higher today. From the White Knighting and female privilege found in an ultra-conservative Christian elementary school to the White Knighting and female privilege found in today’s society, it’s up to me and you to rectify the situation. We might not be able to change the world, but drat it, we can at least change the environment around the one little fountain we drink from.

Every sexual encounter I have with women, every relationship I’m in, every business meeting I have with my female staff, and every post I drop centers around one goal: True equality. Game levels the playing field in the SMP, my unending commitment to holding my female staff members to the same standards of excellence as the men levels the playing field at work (which a small handful of women actually appreciate), and my willingness to nuke hamsters and put a stop to beta and princess bullshit before it even get started keeps my social life on the level.

Of course, true equality sounds a lot like “ONE MISSISSIPPI, TWO MISSISSIPPI, THREE MISSISSIPPI, STOP!” so the majority of women aren’t very fond of it.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What type of blue cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tears In A Vial posted:

Many moons ago, in the great city of Chicago, I stood in line with other members of my 3rd grade class. Outfitted in a god-awful uniform comprised of a red shirt, blue clip-on tie with little American flags, dark blue pants, and black “church shoes”, I waited in line at the only outdoor water fountain after recess with about 30 other kids. (Super relevant: we had to change back in to our uniforms with “church shoes” after recess before entering the building, or Jesus would get all worked up about it.)

The “exceptional student of the week” umpteen times in a row was Brad Richie (I used his real name because it’s just too perfect). Brad was in charge of making sure the line moved quickly at the water fountain after recess, so he’d stand there with his finger on the button and his nose three inches from your ear counting “One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, STOP!”

But any time a pretty GIRL mounted the stepstool to reach the fountain, Brad changed his method of counting. It went something like this:

“Oneeeeeee Miss…issss…ippi . . .[long drawn out breath] Twooooooo Miss…issss…ippi . . . [long drawn out breath] Threeee . . . etc.”
My first encounter with White Knighting was Brad Richie.

Clearly I was a little behind Brad in my development, because I didn’t even notice girls at the time. I honestly had no idea they were getting preferential treatment by Brad simply because he thought they were cute. In my young mind, there were just “some kids” being treated better than “other kids.”

I was always too smart and persuasive to do my own dirty work, so I enlisted the slow kid to go to the teacher and blow the whistle on Brad’s gross mismanagement of authority. The response from our chick teacher was exactly what you might expect:

“Don’t tattle-tale on your classmates. Brad is just being a gentleman.”

Deep inside my 3rd grade brain, I started to ponder. Gentleman. Hmmm… Gentleman… Let’s think about this for a moment; a gentleman is what I’m supposed to be to my mother and my sisters… Wait a minute! My mother and my sisters are GIRLS! Is Brad letting them drink from the fountain twice as long as the rest of us because they’re GIRLS?

Nah, that’s just silly. Those girls are not his sisters or his mother, and girls are poo poo soccer players who don’t think farts are funny. They’re ok, but no boy in his right mind would go out of his way to be extra nice to them, so I must be way off base here. Or am I? I don’t know. I’m confused.

But there was still injustice taking place in the water fountain line, so I decided to put an end to it. Knowing I’d never be “exceptional student of the week”, I came up with an alternate plan of attack. I wrote up a little flyer in not-so-secret secret code, snuck in to the teacher’s lounge during an impromptu bathroom break to make copies of it, assembled all the guys on the soccer field during recess, and unleashed my plan.

After recess, when once again the line for the water fountain was stretching half-way back to the monkey bars, all the boys waited patiently for the first little girl to reach the fountain. When she did, all of us lifted our voices in unison and said:

“ONE MISSISSIPPI, TWO MISSISSIPPI, THREE MISSISSIPPI, STOP!”
Thus was the end of Brad Richie’s beta supplication at the water fountain. We only had to do it two or three times for him to get the picture – and it was worth every demerit I received for unruly behavior plus the paddling in front of the entire class for sneaking in to the teacher’s lounge to make copies. Brad ratted me out after launching a full scale investigation and bribing the slow kid with seedless grapes (you can’t make this poo poo up.)

After that incident, most of the little girls started treating me differently, and the Queen Bee of the bunch took action. To this day, I still remember her walking up to me and calling me a “meanie jerk” who wanted “girls to be thirsty all day” because I wasn’t a “gentleman.”

I remember that conversation clearly even though it was decades ago, because I got yet another paddling for calling her a “booger-john”, but she didn’t get in trouble at all for calling me a “meanie jerk”. Don’t ask me where the term booger-john came from or what it meant, but I picked it up from my cousins in South Carolina. All I know is that my first encounter with unequal consequences based on gender came at the hands of my 3rd grade teacher, Ms. Bethany Auclair.

Mentu’s Sixth Law of Dickatry: Women will gladly embrace gender inequality when it yields preferential outcomes. This is why no man should ever take their bullshit demands seriously.

At first I didn’t really understand her hostility, because my actions were completely aimed at Brad, not the girls. My intention was never to have the girls receive less water – I just wanted Brad to stick with the program. Had we all benefitted from the long drawn-out version of the counting, I would have never said a word.

The water fountain incident was a long time ago, and the stakes are much higher today. From the White Knighting and female privilege found in an ultra-conservative Christian elementary school to the White Knighting and female privilege found in today’s society, it’s up to me and you to rectify the situation. We might not be able to change the world, but drat it, we can at least change the environment around the one little fountain we drink from.

Every sexual encounter I have with women, every relationship I’m in, every business meeting I have with my female staff, and every post I drop centers around one goal: True equality. Game levels the playing field in the SMP, my unending commitment to holding my female staff members to the same standards of excellence as the men levels the playing field at work (which a small handful of women actually appreciate), and my willingness to nuke hamsters and put a stop to beta and princess bullshit before it even get started keeps my social life on the level.

Of course, true equality sounds a lot like “ONE MISSISSIPPI, TWO MISSISSIPPI, THREE MISSISSIPPI, STOP!” so the majority of women aren’t very fond of it.

source your quotes

• Locked thread