Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

hahaha my coworkers think I'm a loving idiot because I can't stop laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

please don't doxx me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

please don't doxx me

I know your mini PC would be in a Mr. Sub wrapper.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sweet clock.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mayodreams posted:

You can look forward to things like I found at one of our acquisitions a couple of weeks ago:

The company HQ file server, which all of the remote offices access via VPN, runs on a Dell pizza box with 32gb of ram and 2TB in RAID5. But wait, there's more! The file server is actually a VM running on Hyper-V on that Dell which is being backed up to 2TB usb powered hard drive that is full. So there is just a single 2TB volume that the Hyper-V server runs on along with the VM. Not even partitioned.

All of their IT was outsourced to a loving terrible MSP, and everything I've seen in their infrastructure reflects that.
I don't even think this place has an IT department or just had an MSP for one-off issues. Everything was managed by the owner, and while she's receptive to help and understands that she didn't do things the best way, getting information from her is difficult. I'm sure she's being pulled in several different directions right now so I don't really want to blame her, but it's kind of frustrating that we'd like to get them set up on Office 365 or move their website and we don't know have access to their DNS registrar. On the other hand I'm really thankful that that's the only part I'm involved in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm burnt out and it's almost 'gently caress-this-poo poo-o-clock'

I decided to see what happens when 2 phones try to play tug-o-war with a thumb drive:

any takers?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're using HTC phones, so they'll erupt in a spontaneous garbage fire and cause you to go bankrupt

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Left wins.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You'll bridge the filesystems and gain full access between phones, including battery charge sharing!

(real answer one phone will mount the usb drive first and the other phone will be denied access, so it will sit doing nothing)

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're using HTC phones, so they'll erupt in a spontaneous garbage fire and cause you to go bankrupt

The Samsung bridge has a "no garbage" icon so it won't communicate with the HTC phone.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So it looks like the one plugged into the native micro usb won, when I turned them on.

But they are both trying to charge each other when turned off, so it looks like everybody wins.
I wonder how long until the batteries poo poo themselves from playing tug-o-war through a usb stick.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm guessing the USB devices will burn out before anything happens to the batteries. There's no way the USB stick was designed to handle energy flowing through it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I know your mini PC would be in a Mr. Sub wrapper.

How do you keep your resume short while also not taking out too much meat when you update it? Do I just need to pick and choose what skills and experience are the most important? Also, should I put in non-technical stuff like "helped regional company grow into national retail chain" or should I save that for Linkedin?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 26, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you keep your resume short while also not taking out too much meat when you update it? Do I just need to pick and choose what skills and experience are the most important? Also, should I put in non-technical stuff like "helped regional company grow into national retail chain" or should I save that for Linkedin?

My latest strategy is to keep 2 resumes, one for security, one for networking. Allows better focus on the target position.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I do a technical summary on top that lays out everything I'm good with, then expand on how I supported the business/drove results in the bullet points.

The technical summary is literally bullet points like 'Windows Server Administration'. No more than three words per bullet in four-five columns to save space.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can anyone back up that multiple columns of bullet points idea? It sounds really good.

I've been bitching about my job, and while I'm not actively looking yet, I figure with how many recruiter emails I get, I should probably put an updated resume out there in hopes of one of them being good rather than short term help desk or field technician postings in Ohio.

2.5 months is too long and short of a timeframe for a job to look good on the resume, right?

I do have two resumes, one for programming and one for operations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For a while now I've had my resume chopped off at 2000, but 16 years is seeming like too much to have on there. I also redid each position and got away from lists of responsibilities and products. Now each job starts with a little story about my time and challenges/projects and if appropriate follows with a brief responsibilities/products summary. For a long time manager type I think it makes more sense then showing how much time I've spent working on old stuff like Server 2008.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is there a colloquial term for an AD stack of AD, group policy, file sharing and exchange? It takes up a lot of resume space to list each individually when they're all usually related.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been in IT since 2014, so I'm only going to have three jobs on there once I add this one. Which is a lot for barely more than 2 years, but contracts suck and so do companies that make you work every other weekend while also going full time M-F.

I'm definitely including a bit about how I taught myself powershell in order to reduce the time to do a common task by 90%. That shows me taking initiative, an aptitude for scripting, gives a definite number, and it's a big number.

I can't wait until I can land a developer gig, scripting is the best part of my job, aside from the occasional catered lunches.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is there a colloquial term for an AD stack of AD, group policy, file sharing and exchange? It takes up a lot of resume space to list each individually when they're all usually related.
I'd list Active Directory and Exchange. The first three are so inexorably linked that I'd doubt the largest organization you can think of has a group policy guy at this point, for example - thereby making it pointless to mention separately.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"The Microsoft Stack" although I would assume anyone saying they do Windows admin work to at least know AD, GP, Filesharing, DNS, DHCP, and how to set up a print server. Exchange is kind of a different animal though. I know I haven't even worked with any on prem deployments for about 7 years until recently. Would definitely classify it separately cause it's not a requirement

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm burnt out and it's almost 'gently caress-this-poo poo-o-clock'

I decided to see what happens when 2 phones try to play tug-o-war with a thumb drive:

any takers?

2phones1plug

NWS that poo poo man

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

it's just froyo, dude

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I just tried the the same thing with my old Nexus 5 and my Nexus 6p. The 6p was the only one that accessed the drive, while also charging the N5. It also kept trying to mount the N5 as storage, but kept failing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If BlackBerry Enterprise Technical Support ever tells you to run this harmless little script, don't believe them. Don't do it. You'll never escape alive.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CLAM DOWN posted:

If BlackBerry Enterprise Technical Support ever tells you to run this harmless little script, don't believe them. Don't do it. You'll never escape alive.

The last time I blindly ran a script from a vendor I spent the next 12 hours un-loving a database that I started the night knowing nothing about. We had just taken over IT work for this customer and hadn't had a chance to verify backups were sane yet. Hint: They weren't. Managed to get them back online by 6:30 AM with the only loss being x-rays taken the previous afternoon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only BlackBerry-related scripts you should run are things to remove BES from your environment

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been on vacation in cancun all week and have been watching the poo poo pile on from afar for when I get back. It's amazing how many onsite meetings in Manhattan I've been scheduled for and not a single coordinator looked at my existing calender to see I'm now quadruple booked. I just texted my boss to let him know and all I got was a whoops.

Next week's gonna suck.

On the plus side, the wifi is pretty good here.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A resume should be re-written for each "good job" you apply to. Make up a pool of descriptions for your work experience based on what you see in ads and C&P as necessary/appropriate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do a little bit of that, probably not as much as I should. In this case, though, I'm reworking them to put on all of the job sites.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sepist posted:

I've been on vacation in cancun all week and have been watching the poo poo pile on from afar for when I get back. It's amazing how many onsite meetings in Manhattan I've been scheduled for and not a single coordinator looked at my existing calender to see I'm now quadruple booked. I just texted my boss to let him know and all I got was a whoops.

Next week's gonna suck.

Why the hell are you even looking at anything work related while on vacation?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Careful, Fruit Stripe might be mean to you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
FOR THE LOVE OF

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

Next week's gonna suck.

consulting.txt

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Dammit, I completely forgot this was happening, and it's too to get my boss to pay for me to go.

Give us a trip report.

DevOps Days Boston trip report: I'd give it a solid B, which includes the fact that it's absurdly cheap (early bird tickets were like $200). If you're coming into it from a very traditional, old school IT environment, it would probably be very eye opening and valuable. As for me, I drank the DevOps kool aid a long time ago so it was mostly old hat.

The talks were kinda blah. They were well done, but it was a lot of very DevOps 101 stuff that I've known and have tried to put into practice for years. Empathize and work with devs and the business units you're trying to make money for. Collaborate. Break down barriers. Automate everything. Monitor everything. Don't create a racist/sexist/homophobic/xenophobic work environment. These are all very very important topics, and I'm glad they are being discussed. I did come away with a few things I want to dive deeper into. But overall it was a lot of head nodding for me. Which I guess is still valuable in a way, because hearing people discuss industry best practices and thinking "yeah, my company mostly does that" is reassuring.

As usual with DevOps Days events, the open spaces were the highlight. If you've never been to one, the audience proposes and votes on topics. Then after lunch, everyone breaks out into small groups to discuss the most popular subjects, attending and moving between whichever sessions interest them. These are almost invariably awesome, as you just have 5-30 people very interested in a given topic discussing their questions and real-world solutions in a small room. I got some great pointers on testing your config management code, storing and distributing secrets like passwords and private keys, and optimizing your ELK stack, as some examples. You'll end up shooting the poo poo with a lead engineer or manager from like Twitter or GitHub or Etsy or Google, as well as random brilliant people from your local community, and it's totally worth the price of admission.

The "hallway track" talking to people about whatever, and after hours open bar partiesnetworking events are also great. I am not at all actively looking and walked away with several interesting job leads should that ever change.

So yeah, if you're local, I'd say it's worth attending. Ridiculously cheap for a professional conference, it's only 2 days, and you'll get lots of face time with very smart people tackling the same problems you are. I might try to get on the organizing committee next year because I have ~feelings~ about how it could be improved (mainly making it more like DevOps Days Rockies, which was one of the greatest events I've ever attended).

If you aren't local, attend the closest DevOps Days event to where you live. They pop up all the time.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 28, 2016

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

RFC2324 posted:

Why the hell are you even looking at anything work related while on vacation?

What are you, my fiance?

At least I didn't do any actual work this time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sepist posted:

What are you, my fiance?

At least I didn't do any actual work this time.

If not yours, then mine

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make a start with https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/understanding-active-directory-8233?l=aErw3QJy_6904984382

CALs are required for each user or device accessing resources on a Windows server. The most common choice is to go with user CALs unless you're running a workplace with shift workers, and if you have 100 staff then you need 100 CALs.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This is a good opportunity to link Microsoft's licensing how-to. You can skip the most of it and just search "DHCP" for the good bit.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sheep posted:

This is a good opportunity to link Microsoft's licensing how-to. You can skip the most of it and just search "DHCP" for the good bit.

loving lol they didn't even pull out that second bit of the question. At least it gives an honest answer!