Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

BMW 3 series

Oh, if we're doing whole history instead of a particular generation, how about the Malibu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blk posted:

BMW 3 series

If we are playing this game... 7 series

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Raluek posted:

Oh, if we're doing whole history instead of a particular generation, how about the Malibu?

You really think today's Malibu is worse than the utter blandness of the late 90's? (I won't clog the thread with inline images and force the malibu on everyone browsing.)
1998: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/1997-1999_Chevrolet_Malibu.jpg
2016: http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/09/2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-front-three-quarter-static.jpg

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

davebo posted:

You really think today's Malibu is worse than the utter blandness of the late 90's? (I won't clog the thread with inline images and force the malibu on everyone browsing.)
1998: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/1997-1999_Chevrolet_Malibu.jpg
2016: http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/09/2016-Chevrolet-Malibu-front-three-quarter-static.jpg

Okay, then compare either to a first generation Malibu, e.g. this '66: http://i.imgur.com/eeyGatBl.jpg

How the mighty have fallen.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

davebo posted:

The current Malibu looks like a Cruze that got loving blazed. It's an example of a forced corporate face applied to every car removing all individuality that car models once had.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

0toShifty posted:

The current Malibu looks like a Cruze that got loving blazed. It's an example of a forced corporate face applied to every car removing all individuality that car models once had.

Speaking of which, be thankful GM still uses names on most of their cars. I can't imagine the weird, idiotic alphabet soup they'd come up with if they have to do it for all their brands and not just cadillac.
I remember when the numbers trailing signified the size of the engine. Thanks a lot, infinity, for loving that one up. May as well call that stupid land porpoise thing that every nouveau riche soccer mom drives to 6000SUX(formerly qx54, formerly qx80)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Know who needs Jesus names? Cadillac.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Scotch posted:

Know who needs Jesus names? Cadillac.

At least their alphabet soup means something. DTS = Deville Touring Sedan, etc. Much better than Qinfiniti.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Infiniti's alphanumeric soup used to mean something. Now it's nonsense.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

Infiniti's alphanumeric soup used to mean something. Now it's nonsense.

It's appropriate for a brand of loving ugly cars

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

At least their alphabet soup means something. DTS = Deville Touring Sedan, etc. Much better than Qinfiniti.

Yeah but how many of the common man know that. :v:

These days they're all meaningless.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 31, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

QthirtyQ Q-sport edition with the 4.Q liter Q6

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Speaking of which, be thankful GM still uses names on most of their cars. I can't imagine the weird, idiotic alphabet soup they'd come up with if they have to do it for all their brands and not just cadillac.
I remember when the numbers trailing signified the size of the engine. Thanks a lot, infinity, for loving that one up. May as well call that stupid land porpoise thing that every nouveau riche soccer mom drives to 6000SUX(formerly qx54, formerly qx80)

Pretty sure the Germans did it first. The Infiniti 35 models were all 3.5 liters, likewise the 37 models were 3.7 liters.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Tommychu posted:

4.Q liter Q6

Trying to conceptualise how the cylinders would be oriented here

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

stevobob posted:

Trying to conceptualise how the cylinders would be oriented here

A radial with a tail.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Infiniti's naming system is really simple and is just like Audi's which isn't surprising since the Johan de Nysschen came from Audi before he went to Cadillac.

Q for cars and QX for SUVs and crossovers. The number after the Q/QX indicates the model level. The higher the number then better.

It's just like Audi's A for cars and Q for SUVs and crossovers with a number after the letter indicating the model's place in the lineup.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Raluek posted:

Not anymore. They hired the Audi guy and now the names make no sense plus they killed the v8 options

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motor vehicles, no matter the type, should have awesome names. Not stupid lame numerical codes.

Good car name: Huracán
Bad car name: QX80

Good motorcycle name: Fireblade
Bad motorcycle name: R1200GS

Good airplane name: Constellation
Bad airplane name: A340

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Motor vehicles, no matter the type, should have awesome names. Not stupid lame numerical codes.

Good car name: Huracán
Bad car name: QX80

Good motorcycle name: Fireblade
Bad motorcycle name: R1200GS

Good airplane name: Constellation
Bad airplane name: A340

Don't hire Germans for any job that might involve naming things. Although they have claim on some of the most iconic words of early 20th century history, there is just nothing that can compare to the Cadillac Motherfucker.

Imagine the trim levels: Cadillac Motherfucker Supreme, Cadillac Motherfucker Limited.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't hire Germans for any job that might involve naming things. Although they have claim on some of the most iconic words of early 20th century history, there is just nothing that can compare to the Cadillac Motherfucker.

Imagine the trim levels: Cadillac Motherfucker Supreme, Cadillac Motherfucker Limited.

drat, now they're never going to live up even if they do bring back real names.

I wonder if they'd be dumb enough to drop the escalade name; surely someone there recognizes that that name at least has recognition and people come to dealerships for escalades, not an ESX 90 or whatever the hell they'd butcher it into. If only they'd make the connection with their other cars. Aren't they going to CT(model number) across the board in the future, or is that just the CTS?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Here's your Ford10XSTD1K

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In an age of global production and sales, nobody is going to bring back names for mass market cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In an age of global production and sales, nobody is going to bring back names for mass market cars.

Yeah but most mass market cars do have names though. It's just BMW, MB, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura and brands run or formerly run by Johann DeNyschen that don't. The best selling cars in the world are Corolla, Camry, Accord, Golf and Focus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also Chinese domestic brands.

This is the Lubao CA6410UA (the Toyota badge is fake; it's made on the used tooling for an Austin Maestro, but has a clone of a Toyota engine)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Would legit buy a 'new' Maestro, particularly if it came with the old digital dashboard which spoke and told you things. :3:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Here's your Ford10XSTD1K

XR4ti :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah but most mass market cars do have names though. It's just BMW, MB, Lexus, Lincoln, Acura and brands run or formerly run by Johann DeNyschen that don't. The best selling cars in the world are Corolla, Camry, Accord, Golf and Focus.

Your point is well taken that a majority of cars are still sold under names, though you're leaving out a few brands - Peugeot, Jaguar, Mazda, Citroen are all alphanumeric, and Fiat is a mix now.

I don't think there are any instances that I can recall of companies moving from alphanumerics back to named cars unless you want to count Fiat in the 1980s.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Also Chinese domestic brands.

This is the Lubao CA6410UA (the Toyota badge is fake; it's made on the used tooling for an Austin Maestro, but has a clone of a Toyota engine)

What about the Beijing-Jeep BJ 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think there are any instances that I can recall of companies moving from alphanumerics back to named cars unless you want to count Fiat in the 1980s.

Alfa Romeo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The J2000 was replaced by the Comanche, wasn't it? And the CJ-7 was replaced by the Wrangler.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Known worldwide as the "Sierra".

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Continental Mark VIII->LS->Zephyr->MKZ

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mobby_6kl posted:

Known worldwide as the "Sierra".

Yeah, but Sierra does sound nearly as cool as" Exarrfourtyi"

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, but Sierra does sound nearly as cool as" Exarrfourtyi"

A buddy of mine used to think the 4 in the XR4ti badge was an A, so he called them the "Zerati," because that's what he thought it said. He still thinks this.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

lomarf

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DropShadow posted:

A buddy of mine used to think the 4 in the XR4ti badge was an A, so he called them the "Zerati," because that's what he thought it said. He still thinks this.

Do I know you? I did and still do this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DropShadow posted:

I still pronounce them "x-ratty."

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Why does China always do poo poo like that? Why do they mess with perfection? It looks like a loving Ssanyong.

Leave jeepie alone!

:911:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Alfa Romeo.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

"Ford Motors" posted:

Ford reported a 25% Y/Y drop in passenger car sales in August

:stare:

rip cars, welcome to the 2nd suv gilded age

Ford Fiesta -16% to 4,946;
Ford Fusion -33% to 190,52;
Ford C-MAX -29% to 1,586;
Ford Mustang -17% to 8,299;
Ford F-Series -6% to 66,946;
Ford Explorer -16% to 18,294;
Ford Transit +17% to 11,993;
Lincoln MKX +50% to 2,643;