Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

I have no idea what to expect aside from 20K+ IT dudes converging on Atlanta...

:guinness: and :guinness:

I've only heard good thing about Ignite but what's interesting is that's it's a much younger crowd than IBM Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man, I am such a slut for a free lunch. I love attending seminars and vendor events and presentations if I get free food.

My last boss told me that it was scientifically proven that IT people are most motivated by free food (including alcohol).
I didn't believe him at first, but when I started salivating every time the CEO walked by, or I heard the word "Wi-fi" I knew he may actually have been a genius.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tomapot posted:

Speaking of which, anyone going to Microsoft Ignite next month? It's their combined Office / Windows / Exchange / SharePoint / SQL / etc. conference.

I'll be going as well, last years was great content wise, although had some bumps logistically (it is overwhelming, there's just way too much content).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My last boss told me that it was scientifically proven that IT people are most motivated by free food (including alcohol).
I didn't believe him at first, but when I started salivating every time the CEO walked by, or I heard the word "Wi-fi" I knew he may actually have been a genius.

Seems consistent with motivation-hygiene theory.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

:guinness: and :guinness:

I've only heard good thing about Ignite but what's interesting is that's it's a much younger crowd than IBM Edge.

Isn't Ignite held in Vegas, though?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

psydude posted:

Isn't Ignite held in Vegas, though?

This year it's Atlanta, last year was Chicago I think.

VMworld is in Vegas this week, my boss and another team member are there right now. Vegas in August... no thank you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

This year it's Atlanta, last year was Chicago I think.

VMworld is in Vegas this week, my boss and another team member are there right now. Vegas in August... no thank you.

I was there in July. It's still better than the mid Atlantic in terms of not crushing you to death with humidity.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

psydude posted:

I was there in July. It's still better than the mid Atlantic in terms of not crushing you to death with humidity.

Good thing with vegas for conventions is that if you're staying on the strip a lot of it is connected to so you only have short bursts of heat as you move from one gigantic ACd building to the next. I'll definitely take dry heat over humid heat for sure, opposite for cold weather though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Good thing with vegas for conventions is that if you're staying on the strip a lot of it is connected to so you only have short bursts of heat as you move from one gigantic ACd building to the next. I'll definitely take dry heat over humid heat for sure, opposite for cold weather though.

Last fall I was in Vegas and a storm rolled through and for 1 glorious day it was in the 70s. Vegas in the 70s is downright pleasant.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish Ignite would do what Amazon does and just have it year round.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why does every building on the strip have the AC set to freezing, anyway? Moving from building to building wouldn't be as bad if they just left it on room temperature.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why does every building on the strip have the AC set to freezing, anyway? Moving from building to building wouldn't be as bad if they just left it on room temperature.

Because they want you to stay there and spend money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

I wish Ignite would do what Amazon does and just have it year round.

What?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon's AWS conference is in a different city every couple of months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Re:Invent is an annual affair, they have other smaller events all over the place though.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

You poor poor soul. How bad is your liver? I still haven't built my schedule, but I do mostly infrastructure stuff so I'll be attending mostly the infrastructure sessions. 5 people from my work team are going, most of them live in Atlanta already, one gent flying in from the UK.

Stone cold sober for over 27 years now. Maybe it is all the prayer and meditation? Seriously, I run SharePoint the only way it is meant to be run; a team of experts, dozens of servers and millions of dollars in operating budget. Right now we have an intermittent Server Busy error that is kicking our rear end and if I couldn't call in 4 Microsoft engineers across SP, Windows, SQL and Networking on a Sev A case I wouldn't touch this thing with a ten foot pole.

Maneki Neko posted:

I'll be going as well, last years was great content wise, although had some bumps logistically (it is overwhelming, there's just way too much content).

I have mixed feelings about Ignite, it was much easier to navigate when it was just the SharePoint Conference. I'd understand if they rolled in Office and other productivity tools. But adding all the Azure and Windows, Surface, etc. just makes for more traffic and logistical problems. The food lines at the Thursday party in Chicago were a ridiculous, hopefully they have it ironed out.

The best part with these conferences is the networking. Getting to compare notes with other companies, chat with some experts, kick around some vendors is where its at.

BTW, even though I don't drink I'm still up for a meetup if anyone is interested. Willing to buy a round for you guys.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 1, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Has anyone used cisco hyperflex in here? This poo poo looks perfect for small/medium branch deployments with vdi. I'm thinking I'm going to get a demo and buy a small deployment (single rack) for a site if it's as good as it looks.

Cheaper and faster to spin up vs our current ucs mini + small EMC vnx deployments.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Meh the only thing in my Dropbox is my 1passkeychain and its encrypted. The transmission hack is worse for us Mac users. Stupid transmission. Back to qbtorrent for me.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

jaegerx posted:

Meh the only thing in my Dropbox is my 1passkeychain and its encrypted. The transmission hack is worse for us Mac users. Stupid transmission. Back to qbtorrent for me.

Deluge is pretty good too, btw.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Has anyone used cisco hyperflex in here? This poo poo looks perfect for small/medium branch deployments with vdi. I'm thinking I'm going to get a demo and buy a small deployment (single rack) for a site if it's as good as it looks.

Cheaper and faster to spin up vs our current ucs mini + small EMC vnx deployments.

I just installed a 3 node hyperflex cluster. It's as slick as it looks. We threw 20 virtual servers at it and it didn't blink. We're planning on adding a 4th node so I've mapped out the procedure, and it's literally a few clicks from racking to clustered in vcenter.

Two caveats, one is that it's early and I've already opened one bug report, and since storage is on the hosts if you lose a node you lose 1/3 storage capacity. Inline dedupe and compression saves so much space though, we're at 45% saved disk space.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I'll definitely take dry heat over humid heat for sure, opposite for cold weather though.

False. Having lived in both humid-as-gently caress Boston and dry Denver, I'll take both temps dry every time. 5 degrees and 95 degrees with no moisture are way more tolerable to me than 25 or 75 with major humidity.

It took sub zero temps for me to reach "gently caress you I wanna die" status in the west. Whereas that's basically my permanent state of being for the entire New England winter.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

False. Having lived in both humid-as-gently caress Boston and dry Denver, I'll take both temps dry every time. 5 degrees and 95 degrees with no moisture are way more tolerable to me than 25 or 75 with major humidity.

It took sub zero temps for me to reach "gently caress you I wanna die" status in the west. Whereas that's basically my permanent state of being for the entire New England winter.

I agree with this, except the last bit.

You survive the New England summer? I was up there for six months two years ago and the humidity was almost as bad as it was in the farm states in the midwest.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We haven't had a :yotj: post in a while, so

:yotj: for me!

Interviewed last friday got the offer call last night.

Moving into a senior level position with a decent pay increase and my commute goes from 45+ minutes in rush hour traffic to 5 minutes through city traffic, also jeans/polo and no more slacks/tie! Going from working for our corporate offices to at an actual hospital facility(I've been in health care for 10+ years now, doctors and their holier than thou attitude don't bother me anymore). I'll get to be more hands on with hardware, lead more projects and be the go to for lower level techs. There was no advancement opportunities for me on our current team and we've recently had a change in management that has soured me on working for this team so this position came at exactly the right time for me. Now to break the news to my current boss today.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm setting up logmein for a new computer. It's starting up fine, but not showing up on the computer list. It's also saying you need specifically my login to access it rather than just any administrator on the network.

Has anyone seen this? Our senior admin is out today but I want to get it done today.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm setting up logmein for a new computer. It's starting up fine, but not showing up on the computer list. It's also saying you need specifically my login to access it rather than just any administrator on the network.

Has anyone seen this? Our senior admin is out today but I want to get it done today.

Are you added to another account? If you log in on secure.logmein.com there's a drop down menu on your account name to select another central. No idea about the username thing

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Had an interview today, so I bought a leather portfolio yesterday. Regurgitated a few pages of meeting notes in the notebook, jotted down some project notes on the inside-cover notepad to make it look used. Prepared a whole page of questions.

I felt drat loving professional when they asked "Do you have any questions for us?" and I opened that bad boy up. Interview lead went nuts writing down notes on the interview form. I can imagine it was mostly "Fuuuuuuck" and "hire him at base + 100k".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Need a Batman trapper keeper.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Had an interview today, so I bought a leather portfolio yesterday. Regurgitated a few pages of meeting notes in the notebook, jotted down some project notes on the inside-cover notepad to make it look used. Prepared a whole page of questions.

I felt drat loving professional when they asked "Do you have any questions for us?" and I opened that bad boy up. Interview lead went nuts writing down notes on the interview form. I can imagine it was mostly "Fuuuuuuck" and "hire him at base + 100k".

This is the greatest feeling. "Why yes... Yes I do.. :smug:"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I do that too, but my leather portfolio just says "Ask about the bonus" in it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

I do that too, but my leather portfolio just says "Ask about the bonus" in it.

Me in an interview:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
After our outsourced garbage monitoring contract was recently terminated, I'm in need of something basic and lightweight for switches and servers. All I really need is an interface that tells me up/down and preferably options for email notifications if down.

I've taken a peak at Nagios, modular is nice if I need to/want to expand it down the line. One bad thing is we have no Linux boxes here and my boss is incredible hesitant to let me put one up for some reason, so I'm trying to find something that runs the server on Windows.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PRTG

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This; it's free for 100 sensors, which with switches if you use SNMP should get you pretty much everything you need, 1-3 sensors per device should be enough for networking monitoring. You can also point it at servers and get all sorts of fun information with the WMI ones in a windows environment! Want a bunch of info on your WSUS status? Want to know if replication between two DCs failed?

It's pretty expensive if you go over though, but unless you large 100 should be enough if you are frugal with them and don't monitor "everything" needlessly. If you are monitoring a site to see if it's down you don't need to ping the gateway, open an HTTP session with the gateway, and open an HTTPS session with the gateway, pick one to see if they are up, the defaults will shove all 3 onto the device as recommended.

If you really can't find some way to get under 100 sensors, you are likely large enough that you can afford to just pay for more.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

stubblyhead posted:

Me in an interview:

During my most recent spate of interviews I came away with four pages of

Company Name

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fudge posted:

What's the point of having a network security team that doesn't have full ownership of the security architecture? Your CIO is an assclown.
Controversial opinion incoming.

Information security lives at the convergence point of information technology and risk management. As a risk management discipline, they should have input, but absolutely shouldn't own anything any more than legal should have direct access to set HR policy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Controversial opinion incoming.

Information security lives at the convergence point of information technology and risk management. As a risk management discipline, they should have input, but absolutely shouldn't own anything any more than legal should have direct access to set HR policy.

So you don't feel it's a conflict of interest for the systems and network personnel - the people who have a vested interest in making things as easy a possible - to manage security infrastructure?

Security governance and incident response shouldn't be involved in infrastructure, yes, but security engineering should be. Letting infrastructure folks run the security machine is a recipe for corner cutting. I see it in every organization that tries to let the sysadmins or network engineers manage the security stuff, and it only leads down a bad path.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

psydude posted:

So you don't feel it's a conflict of interest for the systems and network personnel - the people who have a vested interest in making things as easy a possible - to manage security infrastructure?

Security governance and incident response shouldn't be involved in infrastructure, yes, but security engineering should be. Letting infrastructure folks run the security machine is a recipe for corner cutting. I see it in every organization that tries to let the sysadmins or network engineers manage the security stuff, and it only leads down a bad path.

I see it in organizations that let security admins do it, too. They often have an incentive for security theater over security.

I find it best to not only setup a proper security apparatus, but also to have that security apparatus audited for performance. If you institute a policy because you want a result, auditing for that result is necessary. So often I see people who do things like roll their own crypto so that they "Can be sure its' secure" and end up with a system that seems secure when you present bullet points but not secure in reality because their "Crypto" is an MD5 hash of relevant files and databases (true story).

It's like any other aspect of IT: Trust, but verify.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

It's not necessarily wrong, but extremely cynical to assume everyone is acting in their own vested interests independent of the culture of the company and the incentive models it produces. After all, everyone has a vested interest in doing absolutely as little as possible regardless of where the direction comes from, yet things get done in successful organizations all the time.

Security engineering needs to be informed by the needs of the business. I think in any situations where IT is a business partner rather than a mere cost center, Information Technology is better-informed than risk management about what key projects are, and where making it frictionless for people to do their jobs trumps the need to protect intellectual property. (Most of us have worked on BOFH networks where over-conservative risk management bureaucracy results in mass waste. At Time Warner, we had to have the legal department review the licenses for any open-source software that got installed on company premises. Guess which license they would never approve, making it literally impossible for us to do our jobs without going behind their backs?)

On the other hand, risk management knows where critical information lies. They need to have input on the process and should ultimately, in some capacity, sign off.

You can easily draw a parallel to disaster recovery/business continuity, which is also a risk management discipline. I wouldn't let a risk office do my DR.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 1, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not necessarily wrong, but extremely cynical to assume everyone is acting in their own vested interests independent of the culture of the company and the incentive models it produces.

As a person who evaluates business processes, I'm just going to laugh until I end up in dry heaves and pass out.

Companies muddle through doing things constantly with people who care just enough to keep their job and a bureaucracy that doesn't care enough to kick them to the curb for any idiotic reason you can imagine. One time, I was told that we couldn't get rid of a 40 year old woman because her grandmother had died 12 years before and that would be cruel to her to do so.

Successful companies can be Mexican-Drug-Cartel levels of hosed up, and I am not exaggerating in any way shape or form. Or, Time Warner doesn't make money because its' dysfunctional. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: I'm working with a customer right now whose desktop/systems group is fighting tooth and nail to keep us from turning on 802.1X enforcement because they're worried some users will lose access if their machines aren't registered to the domain or aren't whitelisted. I have another customer that doesn't want to take a 5 minute service outage to upgrade the IPS module on a firewall so I can register it to the management center because it's the end of the fiscal year and they don't want ANY service disruptions, even if it means being unable to gain visibility into traffic.

Arsten posted:

I see it in organizations that let security admins do it, too. They often have an incentive for security theater over security.

I find it best to not only setup a proper security apparatus, but also to have that security apparatus audited for performance. If you institute a policy because you want a result, auditing for that result is necessary. So often I see people who do things like roll their own crypto so that they "Can be sure its' secure" and end up with a system that seems secure when you present bullet points but not secure in reality because their "Crypto" is an MD5 hash of relevant files and databases (true story).

It's like any other aspect of IT: Trust, but verify.

This is certainly true. Just because it's done doesn't mean it's done right.

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not necessarily wrong, but extremely cynical to assume everyone is acting in their own vested interests independent of the culture of the company and the incentive models it produces. After all, everyone has a vested interest in doing absolutely as little as possible regardless of where the direction comes from, yet things get done in successful organizations all the time.

Security has to assume people will inherently act in their own self-interest. This is the reason why banks don't just let anybody into the safe, and those that are allowed into the safe are monitored. It doesn't mean taking draconian steps, but it does mean removing the temptation or ability to cut corners by removing conflicts of interest.

quote:

Security engineering needs to be informed by the needs of the business. I think in any situations where IT is a business partner rather than a mere cost center, Information Technology is better-informed than risk management about what key projects are, and where making it frictionless for people to do their jobs trumps the need to protect intellectual property. (Most of us have worked on BOFH networks where over-conservative risk management bureaucracy results in mass waste. At Time Warner, we had to have the legal department review the licenses for any open-source software that got installed on company premises. Guess which license they would never approve, making it literally impossible for us to do our jobs without going behind their backs?)

I agree with this as well. I've often worked with customers who have secured their networks to their own detriment or to the point where, paradoxically, it has become less secure due to a spiraling number of exceptions/permissions that cannot be easily audited or tracked.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 1, 2016