Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Cavalry gets a health boost too, though I think it's a much smaller one, made up for by the fact that your horse has its own health bar.

I think it's still a pretty high health boost...

https://gfycat.com/WelldocumentedGlisteningKob

Luckily a team mate clubbed him to death after these... distraction shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
If the Russian 1895 can do 97 damage to normal infantry ~40 metres away but a point blank shot to an officer is 68, they must have 1.5 times health or more.

They basically take chip damage from automatic weapon however, it feels like they have torso+limb damage reduction modifier instead since they still die to a bolt action headshot.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Bayonetting someone so hard you both go through the wall... with exposed hitboxes

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

lol nice touch on the zoom at the end.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

afkmacro posted:

lol nice touch on the zoom at the end.

shame he isn't able to superimpose the :dice: smiley on it

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

ijyt posted:

So, apparently my friend has figured out that the weather effects are client side and can be disabled. :dice:

That is a known bug in the beta. Like waves in bf4 it's all synched from the server. And like bf4 people can turn it off in a file. And again just like in bf4 if you do turn it off and it's not just the bug it is a permanent ban on the origin account.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

xyigx posted:

That is a known bug in the beta. Like waves in bf4 it's all synched from the server. And like bf4 people can turn it off in a file. And again just like in bf4 if you do turn it off and it's not just the bug it is a permanent ban on the origin account.

Did they really enforce/control for that in BF4?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Speaking of bugs, I ran into :dice: moment the other day. So, heavy tanks: they are bugged as poo poo. Not only is the main driver's aim messed up by being super sensitive, except when its zoomed in, but the passengers gently caress up the tank's loadout.

I realized this when I was trying to use the flamethrower variant. See, the tank's loadout is not determined by the driver, like every other vehicle in the game. Instead, the tank changes its loadout to the last person that enters the tank. This means that if I entered the tank, switched seats, and started shooting my flamethrower, someone else could enter and the flames would switch to bullets even while I was still firing my weapon. Luckily, this can be easily reverted by jumping out and back in quickly. This bug is even more strange because different tank variants seat a different amount of people. I wonder what happens if I enter a tank that has 5 people in it equipped with a loadout that only seats 4? :science:

In addition to that, I think the heavy breakthrough loadout is not set up properly. It was hard to verify due to the aforementioned bugs, but it appears that the right gunner gets access to some kind of auto cannon that damages vehicles, but the left and back gunners just get access to machine guns. I could be wrong on this though.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Delacroix posted:

If the Russian 1895 can do 97 damage to normal infantry ~40 metres away but a point blank shot to an officer is 68, they must have 1.5 times health or more.

They basically take chip damage from automatic weapon however, it feels like they have torso+limb damage reduction modifier instead since they still die to a bolt action headshot.

I'm nearly 100% positive their health is bugged when on a horse. Pay attention to how quickly you get shot off your horse by even one enemy soldier. Compare that to when you're on foot and nobody stands a chance of gunning you down before you saber them to death. I guess it could be intentional.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love this loving game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hey guys did you know that even Rocky had a montage? Well now I do too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71yr3a9MQs

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2016

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I was really excited for this game but after playing the beta, I don't know, I just didn't enjoy it that much :\ Maybe I'll buy it on sale in the future, game just didnt click for me.

The game is very well optimized though and gorgeous. Maybe it's just the map that bugs me... wish they had atleast another map to try in beta.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EAB posted:

I was really excited for this game but after playing the beta, I don't know, I just didn't enjoy it that much :\ Maybe I'll buy it on sale in the future, game just didnt click for me.

The game is very well optimized though and gorgeous. Maybe it's just the map that bugs me... wish they had atleast another map to try in beta.

At least DICE has the decency to provide us with a demo that shows just how bad this one will be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hey guys did you know that even Rocky had a montage? Well now I do too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhoFIyRXQE

They're going to nerf the only time I've liked flying in a Battlefield game, aren't they. :sigh:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Pissing plane sperg guys off with the AA truck to the point where they start suiciding planes into the ground around you in frustration is pretty swell. I had 3 bombers nose down in the sand around my truck by the end of the last round where I got the AA from the start and went 20 something for 0.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KM Scorchio posted:

Pissing plane sperg guys off with the AA truck to the point where they start suiciding planes into the ground around you in frustration is pretty swell. I had 3 bombers nose down in the sand around my truck by the end of the last round where I got the AA from the start and went 20 something for 0.

You aggressively lose control when flak hits around you, many times right into the ground, it's more of an assisted suicide

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

But after all of that, and the messes that were Battlefront and Hardline, I don't blame anyone for being extra cautious.

Hardline was EA wanting to get a slice of the cops and robbers pie that R* was hogging all to themselves.

Battlefront is cool and good and actually not a mess at all.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Whatever the hell it is it's funny as gently caress.

Anyone else underwhelmed by some of the gadgets? Apart from the assault dudes loser death rocket everything else has felt a bit meh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If you say it enough, people might start to believe it.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Nose-gunning for the bomber is waaaaaay more fun than gunning in a chopper in 4.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm still confused over how the flare gun works, range wise. Does it scan the area the flare flies through?

I'm tempted to go back to the spotting binoculars thing.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Reinstalled Battlefront during the free Bespin weekend and ran into someone cheating every other match. They'd go ~90:3 while standing on the ground and pop heads from across the map. I'm hoping BF1 has some actual cheat protection beyond 2004 poo poo Punkbuster looking for DLL hooks and nothing else. I've already seen probably a hundred ban notifications in the beta and I can't imagine full release is going to be any different.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

After unlocking the Assault AT gun and using it a few times, I can safely say they don't need some all-kit rifle to have a perfectly viable long-range gun to kill infantry with. :allears:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hardline was EA wanting to get a slice of the cops and robbers pie that R* was hogging all to themselves.

I'm talking about their releases. For what it's worth, I liked both in their own ways, but they were both really light on content for games that sold for $60-$120 on release, and Battlefront had stuff like overpowered pre-order items to go with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

In addition to that, I think the heavy breakthrough loadout is not set up properly. It was hard to verify due to the aforementioned bugs, but it appears that the right gunner gets access to some kind of auto cannon that damages vehicles, but the left and back gunners just get access to machine guns. I could be wrong on this though.

Could be intentional. Hermaphrodite tanks were a real thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I confesss, I get a sick sort of pleasure just throwing down gas grenades around a point and then wading in with my LMG blazing away.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I'm talking about their releases. For what it's worth, I liked both in their own ways, but they were both really light on content for games that sold for $60-$120 on release, and Battlefront had stuff like overpowered pre-order items to go with it.

That's a fair assessment. If we're defining "mess" with objective traits like bugs and glitches, though, that's where I don't see the problems with Battlefront. But as far as subjective traits (balancing, content) I guess you're all entitled to your highly subjective opinions.

fake edit: sorry (not sorry) if this arcadey shooter for Star Wars nerds has a higher population on consoles than on the computer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still confused over how the flare gun works, range wise. Does it scan the area the flare flies through?

I'm tempted to go back to the spotting binoculars thing.

Think of it like the motion mines from BC2 or a UAV. It spots where it stops and stays there for a bit. If you run through it, you set on fire. Fire it near yourself when capping a point so you can see people coming up on you. Or bounce it off a wall up ahead as you're moving up so you can see if youre about to run into someone.

I don't know if it spots as it goes through the air or not, but you probably can't see it working if you fire it far away enough because the minimap is zoomed in so far. Press N to cycle it out.

It's such a slog getting to kit rank 3 to unlock the lever rifle without the scope for the scout :negative:

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So is there a clan I need to get in on? I just joined the mumble server but everybody was already in a match and I didn't want to interrupt.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

So is there a clan I need to get in on? I just joined the mumble server but everybody was already in a match and I didn't want to interrupt.
Just add some goons on origin, and then join whatever game they're in.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Someone mentioned there was a deal on GOG earlier for 20% off. But I can't find that at all? Doesn't even look like they sell it for me

Griz
May 21, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I realized this when I was trying to use the flamethrower variant. See, the tank's loadout is not determined by the driver, like every other vehicle in the game. Instead, the tank changes its loadout to the last person that enters the tank. This means that if I entered the tank, switched seats, and started shooting my flamethrower, someone else could enter and the flames would switch to bullets even while I was still firing my weapon. Luckily, this can be easily reverted by jumping out and back in quickly. This bug is even more strange because different tank variants seat a different amount of people. I wonder what happens if I enter a tank that has 5 people in it equipped with a loadout that only seats 4? :science:

that happened to me yesterday. the tank was showing 6 seats but some of them couldn't be switched to at all, and the numbering on the other ones was messed up. I tried shooting the flamethrower but it either did nothing at all or I just saw a small amount of fire at the bottom of the screen like it was being blocked by the tank's hitbox or something.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I love this beta so much but I wish they would just get rid of the loving timer on conquest, such a boner killer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Someone mentioned there was a deal on GOG earlier for 20% off. But I can't find that at all? Doesn't even look like they sell it for me

He meant GMG.

What's the website that allows you to unlock things again?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I like this a lot more than BF4.

The setting is great. The guns feel good. The cheery supply related cries of the British in the midst of battle are hilarious. The orchestral music reaching crescendo during critical moments feels awesome unlike BF4:s farts-run-through-a-distortion-filter-soundtrack. The horses are fun. The UI is modern in a good way. The omission of battlelog is fine. The way you unlock stuff makes sense. Even the lack of bolt action rifles doesn't annoy me as much as I anticipated.

Playing with pubbies is even tolerable now if you go in with a specific mindset - WW1 was supposedly a giant clusterfuck with no radios or good communication anyway.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

https://www.battlefield.com/career but they fixed it so you can't buy the stuff you're not supposed to have yet

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
They better not nerf Supports quick at refill.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Griz posted:

https://www.battlefield.com/career but they fixed it so you can't buy the stuff you're not supposed to have yet

Have they fixed it so you can buy the stuff you're supposed to have yet?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Kibayasu posted:

He meant GMG.

Awesome I found it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Randler posted:

Did they really enforce/control for that in BF4?

Yup they consider it a major exploit if done intentionally. Plus the settings for it are buried in a file your not supposed to edit so it's super easy for them to catch as well. In both cases it confers a major advantage on the person to the extent that it is treated like wall hacks or insta kill scripts. I think with the waves it was less obvious how big of a advantage it gave but with the dynamic weather it's really obvious.