Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Supernews is Giganews. That's who I'm on now and I'm pretty happy. If you want to sign up for them and feel like using my referral code, throw me a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Honestly, I'd say just start paying Astraweb.

But I liked my Highwinds reseller (Super news) before I switched (to News Demon, who were shady, so I went to Astra)

Why was newsdemon shady? I switched from astra to newsdemon and have had zero problems so far.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Flaggy posted:

Why was newsdemon shady? I switched from astra to newsdemon and have had zero problems so far.

IIRC, they claimed that they lost all the billing info for certain customers (who just happened to be power users on the cheap Black Friday plan) and kicked them off their plans.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah they've done that a few times. They chose a bunch of high bandwidth users too if I recall correctly. I don't mind if a provider needs to revisit their billing rates but do it in a respectable way, its a business.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

IIRC, they claimed that they lost all the billing info for certain customers (who just happened to be power users on the cheap Black Friday plan) and kicked them off their plans.

Exactly that. I was on a $5/mo plan when they had a mysterious "hard disk failure that affected some customers, resulting in their info being lost". Your only option? Sign up on a more expensive plan (around $8-9/mo). They were quickly detected doing this, I doubt they got the business they were expecting.

Anyway, I won't touch them again.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Is Sickbeard not working anymore? Lots of errors and it's not picking up stuff that's clearly marked and findable on NZBsu.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had 230gb of my 1tb just up and loving vanish on me.

I checked it not 24 hours before because i was curious, now it's gone.

Astraweb:argh:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rocksicles posted:

Had 230gb of my 1tb just up and loving vanish on me.

I checked it not 24 hours before because i was curious, now it's gone.

Astraweb:argh:

Does whatever downloader you use match up with what you think you used?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Heners_UK posted:

Exactly that. I was on a $5/mo plan when they had a mysterious "hard disk failure that affected some customers, resulting in their info being lost". Your only option? Sign up on a more expensive plan (around $8-9/mo). They were quickly detected doing this, I doubt they got the business they were expecting.

Anyway, I won't touch them again.

Were you using a lot of bandwidth each month? A lot of the people who got dropped seemed to be averaging over 1TB each month, but I've also heard from people who had very reasonable usage, so maybe they had a legitimate failure and then just used that to cull their userbase.

I really don't have too many doubts that they're shady, but I've been on my $4 Black Friday deal since 2013 without any service issues, knock on wood. I'm kind of willing to put up with a lovely business for a killer deal as long as lovely doesn't mean criminal or malicious. They do bill me on an inconsistent monthly schedule that seems to average out to 28 days, so I wind up paying an extra month every year or so. But I got a declined payment once after my credit card expired and they let me fix it and stay on my old plan with no problem.

I'm sure I'll change my tune when I eventually get dropped, but I'm a total cheapskate who balks at most of the usenet prices today.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I wasn't holding back, but a lot less than that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is there a way to temporarily disable scene remapping in Sonarr? I grabbed a season of correctly numbered files and Sonarr made a complete mess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is quite annoying that there's no indicator when it's going to work, and how it will apply. If you go to thexem.de you can see the process for each show and manually prep the files yourself if necessary. Can be a headache though. Also if it's setup wrong, they're a good bunch and will undo it if you ask.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skarsnik posted:

Does whatever downloader you use match up with what you think you used?

Nah, it's unreliable because i switched setups since the block started.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 2, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Smeep posted:

Is Sickbeard not working anymore? Lots of errors and it's not picking up stuff that's clearly marked and findable on NZBsu.

Sickbeard is a dead project. Switch to Sonarr(a better program) or the fork Sickrage.

Mark me down as one of the Astraweb e-mail recipients. I'm wondering how the gently caress this company survives if half the people using the service weren't paying. I can only imagine that some new accountant got hired and took a look at the books only to go :stare:

I'll probably resub since I'm interested in preventing Highwinds from getting a monopoly and killing Usenet off.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 5, 2016

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Is there a way to get Sonarr to update all episodes in a season from HDTV to WEB or BluRay rips?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Trillest Parrot posted:

Is there a way to get Sonarr to update all episodes in a season from HDTV to WEB or BluRay rips?

I believe it's done at the series level (wrench button) and tweaking profiles (in settings) to ignore HDTV or making a new profile altogether to only get WEB and Blu Ray. Once it's set, it'll look at what you have, download the higher quality releases and replace them and leave whatever it can't find alone until it finds a suitable replacement.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I believe it's done at the series level (wrench button) and tweaking profiles (in settings) to ignore HDTV or making a new profile altogether to only get WEB and Blu Ray. Once it's set, it'll look at what you have, download the higher quality releases and replace them and leave whatever it can't find alone until it finds a suitable replacement.

Sweet, made a new profile with HD resolutions that weren't HDTV, changed profiles on the series, hit search, and I'm off. Thanks!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Trillest Parrot posted:

Sweet, made a new profile with HD resolutions that weren't HDTV, changed profiles on the series, hit search, and I'm off. Thanks!

If I could offer a suggestion, don't bother with 1080p WEB-DL rips. They're generally upscaled poop and often look worse than their 720p WEB-DL comparable, in particular if they come from iTunes source.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep agree with the poster above. Also whether web-dl is better is on a case by case basis. I always appreciate the lack of DOG though, but sometimes the pq suffers.

For Mr Robot I've got xfinity cable legitimately, and I've looked at about 4 different versions of that show and man it's hard to find a version that doesn't absolutely murder the scenes in near-black. Which is most of them.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Mark me down as one of the Astraweb e-mail recipients. I'm wondering how the gently caress this company survives if half the people using the service weren't paying. I can only imagine that some new accountant got hired and took a look at the books only to go :stare:

I'll probably resub since I'm interested in preventing Highwinds from getting a monopoly and killing Usenet off.

They still haven't emailed me yet but I am thinking along the same lines if they do, I should probably resub with them on the off chance they forget to bill me for 4 years again.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Is Sonarr not finding any new shows (the show itself, not episodes info) I try to add a problem at my end, or is there a current sonaar/tvdb/xem issue?

e: vvvv I'm getting "Sorry. We Couldn't Find Any Series Matching '[Show Name]'" for ALL shows I type in.

ee: Looks like it's not just me. Dont know if it's everyone though?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

MeKeV posted:

Is Sonarr not finding any new shows (the show itself, not episodes info) I try to add a problem at my end, or is there a current sonaar/tvdb/xem issue?

Verify if it's on tvdb. If yes then it's a sonarr issue.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MeKeV posted:

e: vvvv I'm getting "Sorry. We Couldn't Find Any Series Matching '[Show Name]'" for ALL shows I type in.

ee: Looks like it's not just me. Dont know if it's everyone though?

Keep in mind as well that Sonarr's use of TVDB's search is picky. If I type <show> and it's a remake or a show with the same name, I'll get nothing. If I go to TVDB's site and copy exactly what's listed as the title, it'll work.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'm just not getting any hits what so ever no mater what I type.

Seems to be a handful of people with the same, spread over the sonarr forum and sonarr reddit, nothing official yet but a suggestion it might be related to tvdb being slow/timing out or something.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Same thing for me. Wondering it it's a tvdb API related issue?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's because TVBD kept timing out. I wasn't able to add anything to Sonarr last night because the site kept going down, it's fine now.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Same thing for me. Wondering it it's a tvdb API related issue?
My Sonarr is working just fine. Just tried to search for some random show and they're all there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ahh, the wonders of relying on a single third party to provide a service to millions of people for free. It's the internet way.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Works again now. Back to the status quo where we can continue to act entitled 100% uptime and accuracy from a free service.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Quite frankly I have no idea how that site survives while remaining free. They feed content to Kodi as well so they must get hammered constantly.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hmm, I seem to be having an issue where some downloads are getting stuck in sabnzbd. They just download to a certain percent then sit there in the queue without failing. Is that a bug or some setting somewhere i should change?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Godinster posted:

Quite frankly I have no idea how that site survives while remaining free. They feed content to Kodi as well so they must get hammered constantly.

More long term, I'd like to see something like BitTorrent crossed with apt crossed with distributed databases, where projects like TVDB can have people mirror them with confidence and at lower bandwidth costs, while maintaining update-ability and verification.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking of dream software architectures...I'd love to see something well integrated into players like Kodi where people could rate the quality of the file they were watching and have that tied into your clients like Sonarr/Couchpotato so they could pick the highest quality files.

As it is now, you've got to just trust whatever release group did the best encode of whatever file or download multiple versions of each thing and compare them all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thermopyle posted:

Speaking of dream software architectures...I'd love to see something well integrated into players like Kodi where people could rate the quality of the file they were watching and have that tied into your clients like Sonarr/Couchpotato so they could pick the highest quality files.

As it is now, you've got to just trust whatever release group did the best encode of whatever file or download multiple versions of each thing and compare them all.

I wish you could even prioritize by release group in Sonarr. That'd go a long way.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

For that to work you'd need to find people willing to have intrusive prompts making them rate files after playback, while at the same time being smart enough not to rate something as great just because it downloaded in five minutes on their 56k modem connection.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well that's a problem with all review systems that is generally overcome with volume and averages.

I mean it's not a guaranteed win, but I can think if all sorts of tweaks to the system. For example you could have filters that let you filter by download capacity. You could also weight reviews by psychovisual quality rating algorithms.

edit: copy/paste errors fixed

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 15, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Oznzb does (did?) this. After you downloaded five files, it would "lock" future API hits until you rated what you'd previously downloaded. It wasn't super intuitive, but it let you rate audio and video separately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Heners_UK posted:

More long term, I'd like to see something like BitTorrent crossed with apt crossed with distributed databases, where projects like TVDB can have people mirror them with confidence and at lower bandwidth costs, while maintaining update-ability and verification.

I think that's pretty much what "Bittorrent Sync" is. I don't use it but I'm pretty sure it has basically two keys for each collection, a master that can change it and a read-only one for distribution. As far as I'm aware they statically generate the files the API clients are reading every X minutes rather than doing it dynamically on request.

Unless BTSync has changed significantly from Bittorrent you should be able to select only specific files. You of course get anything else that may have shared a chunk with that file as well, but it seems like it would work well to allow clients to cache and automatically update the shows they want. More popular files (and those lucky enough to be around them) are more widely distributed by the nature of the system.

I think it's closed source though, which is a turnoff, but there's probably some open source equivalent or implementation.

The Modern Leper posted:

Oznzb does (did?) this. After you downloaded five files, it would "lock" future API hits until you rated what you'd previously downloaded. It wasn't super intuitive, but it let you rate audio and video separately.
That'd be really annoying for me, I just let Sonarr and Couch Potato do their things and might not watch something for months after they're downloaded.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Keito posted:

For that to work you'd need to find people willing to have intrusive prompts making them rate files after playback, while at the same time being smart enough not to rate something as great just because it downloaded in five minutes on their 56k modem connection.

At the end of playback for any Kodi file, offer two five-star selections, one for audio and one for video. Press cancel to skip rating, or rate them accordingly. Filter downloads by bitrate or filesize (which you can already do, I think) and the ratings should be somewhat accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks like Dog have stopped accepting amazon gift cards for VIP and now the dumb tshirt or buttcoins are the only option :(

Well they're not getting any money from me anymore, how loving stupid