Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Philip Rivers posted:

They touched on that one episode ago with Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny. Yes this is an important message but there's no reason whatsoever it has to be Pearl who's used to demonstrate this.

There's no reason whatsoever it has to be any given character. That's up to the writers. :shrug:

This is just a relationship that is still in the establishing stage so we get to see it grow and change. Smiley and Frowney we see years after whatever went down went down so it's not the same sort of impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Calling it now: Onion has done what Jasper could not and has successfully formed an army of corrupted gems.

Does he feed them live mice though?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TwoPair posted:

God are we just gonna be fanfiction.net for the next week+ ?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Does lube work when used on hard rock like surfaces?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

MariusLecter posted:

Does lube work when used on hard rock like surfaces?

Greg has canonically murdered a gem with his dick.

so yes

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

There's no reason whatsoever it has to be any given character. That's up to the writers. :shrug:

This is just a relationship that is still in the establishing stage so we get to see it grow and change. Smiley and Frowney we see years after whatever went down went down so it's not the same sort of impact.

We also haven't seen a positive queer relationship as it moves through its early stages except in The Answer where we already knew the outcome. I think that's way more important and probably something the Crew would care a lot more about showing than showing things not working out for whatever reason.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I want Pearl to be happy so I hope something works out for her.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I want pearl to suffer so I hope they don't.

Peri on the other hand should absolutely remain happy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Junpei Hyde posted:

I want Pearl to be happy so I hope something works out for her.

Motherfucker posted:

I want pearl to suffer so I hope they don't.

Honestly, I'm conflicted.

quote:

Peri on the other hand should absolutely remain happy.

But this is cool and good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MariusLecter posted:

Does he feed them live mice though?

Nah, Gem mutants don't like live food.

He pretty much just feeds them whatever he steals from Steven's house (remember that time Onion broke into Steven's kitchen and stole a bag of chaaaps? That was a snack for his army of the damned).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope Peridot and Lapis are happy together, too.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Just take everyone's misery and transfer it into Lars.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Swedish Horror posted:

Sorry that I saw a bad post on a poo poo website I guess?

It's a bad meme that bad goons use where they like to disproportionately hate any website or culture that isn't something awful. It's a lot like the bad meme they use where they pretend Allen Gregory isn't a really good, funny and progressive show, which it definitely is and everyone should get their hopes up and watch it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
can we use the word lesbian when we are referring to lesbians instead of queer thanks

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Troposphere posted:

can we use the word lesbian when we are referring to lesbians instead of queer thanks

No you don't understand we have to use queer, queer things aren't actually bad. We're taking it back, its this generations n-word *vomits uncontrollably*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whiz Palace posted:

Just take everyone's misery and transfer it into Lars.

The solution that's best for everybody.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There was total denial that Pearl was Gay as hell for Rose for awhile with people saying it was more of a Master/Student relationship or a more familial thing. To be fair, when it first came up in the show they were kind of vague but the show got to the point pretty quickly and there were some people that stayed in denial even after that.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Troposphere posted:

'Lesbian' assumes a bunch, that they have no attraction to guys at all, but queer can contain 'lesbian' since queer is a set of a bunch of different sexualities. A lesbian person is queer, but a queer person may not be lesbian. I mean Pearl is probably a lesbian but I don't know why you're so mad about the word 'queer'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, Gem mutants don't like live food.

He pretty much just feeds them whatever he steals from Steven's house (remember that time Onion broke into Steven's kitchen and stole a bag of chaaaps? That was a snack for his army of the damned).

Nah he probably taught them to eat live mice.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Queer is a term that really has been completely owned by the LBGTQ community (hell it's in their name depending on how you interpret the Q) so it honestly seems kind of weird seeing someone offended by it's use. I can't remember the last time I saw it used in a derogatory way.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe Onion Gang is just about Onion's family.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Megaspel posted:

A negroid person is colored, but a colored person may not be the negro. I mean Pearl is probably a negro but I don't know why you're so mad about the word 'colored'.

I hope this hamfisted analogy helps you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

No you don't understand we have to use queer, queer things aren't actually bad. We're taking it back, its this generations n-word *vomits uncontrollably*

Straight up the word queer hasn't been a pejorative since before I was born.

deadly_pudding posted:

That's extremely hamfisted, and no, it does not.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Megaspel posted:

'Lesbian' assumes a bunch, that they have no attraction to guys at all, but queer can contain 'lesbian' since queer is a set of a bunch of different sexualities. A lesbian person is queer, but a queer person may not be lesbian. I mean Pearl is probably a lesbian but I don't know why you're so mad about the word 'queer'.

the terms lgbt and wlw exist for that very reason

lots of people are still incredibly uncomfortable with the word queer

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Megaspel posted:

that's not true at all my dude

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

axleblaze posted:

There was total denial that Pearl was Gay as hell for Rose for awhile with people saying it was more of a Master/Student relationship or a more familial thing. To be fair, when it first came up in the show they were kind of vague but the show got to the point pretty quickly and there were some people that stayed in denial even after that.

She was literally jealous of Rose's actual boyfriend/husband/eventual baby-daddy, how is this even possible. lol

eta: totes platonic feels about her sempai passing away expressed in this utub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5rCSmduaY

eta2: god drat that camera rotation animation, this is so good.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 9, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think Onion is mixed up in some new element unconnected (or only tangentially connected) to anything related to gems. imo.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Troposphere posted:

the terms lgbt and wlw exist for that very reason

lots of people are still incredibly uncomfortable with the word queer

I'm just going to tag you as 'queer hater' and move on.

deadly_pudding posted:

A better analogy would be if you were to tell people of colour they aren't allowed to use the n-word any more because it's racist and they should stop being so darn racist to each other all the dang time.

Motherfucker posted:

are you a millennial?

Yes, I'm under 35 years old

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2016

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Megaspel posted:

are you a millennial?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope we get a bit more of these two

I don't think Lapis has shown up is season 4 yet, minus the short bit at the end of Kindergarden Kid (which was cute af)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Such a lovely episode!

I can't wait to hear the full version of the song they played this episode uninterrupted.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

[X]

[X]

[X]

[X]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Philip Rivers posted:

They touched on that one episode ago with Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny. Yes this is an important message but there's no reason whatsoever it has to be Pearl who's used to demonstrate this.

Well, I mean, she is pretty much the most emotionally fleshed-out character at this point...(not saying I want it to go that way though)

axleblaze posted:

There was some card or image macro going around not too long ago saying that Ruby and Sapphire were "best friends." Which is technically true but perhaps a little misleading.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 9, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

What if Pearl gets poofed and when she reforms the jacket is just permanently attached.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Philip Rivers posted:

It's set up so that it can develop off screen through flirty texts at whatever pace they want but I don't think they would do that and not have any intention of giving her any screen time. Ruby and Sapphire aren't enough to satisfy this show's quota of girls laughing and being blushy.

Maybe I should've added in a "most" or "a lot" in there. I don't think they'll just sideline her completely but a lot of what we'll see of the relationship will be showing how it affects Pearl and use Mysterious Girl's mysteriousness to fuel some humor.

Motherfucker posted:

I'm kinda hoping pearl's relationship explodes in flames because she's basically using pearlfriend as a replacement gold-fish and also because she refuses to 'lower' herself to doing human stuff the majority of the time which is very much expected of you when you're literally dating a human.

What you're failing to see here is that Pearl made a ton of positive steps in this episode. She got of of her comfort zone, went out to have fun, tried out human stuff, took risks, socialized, and did things because she wanted to do them. And yes, she chatted with a human who kinda looks like Rose, but Mysterious Girl isn't Rose, Pearl just finds her cool and interesting and...uh, mysterious. Pearl used to be more confident and rebellious, but she was also reliant on Rose to reenforce that confidence. Since Rose died, Pearl's been tied down by her old feelings and doesn't feel like she can be her best self without Rose there for her. This was part of what Mr Greg was about. This is Pearl now moving forward and being independent, and trying new things. It's good and healthy.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 9, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Pearl's going to be really disappointed when S dyes her hair green next time.

Buys her a bunch of pink hair dye for her birthday.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

MrSlam posted:

Pearl's going to be really disappointed when S dyes her hair green next time.

*Pearl's eyes narrow upon seeing this*

P: You disgust me now. Get out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

What if Pearl gets poofed and when she reforms the jacket is just permanently attached.

This is the brightest timeline. Let's go immediately.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Junpei Hyde posted:

*Pearl gets snagged in jet engine*

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MariusLecter posted:

*Pearl gets snagged in jet engine*