Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cave Adapted posted:

Apparently some citizen decided to make star citizen (and their referral code) into the annoying ad on inputmapper that you pay to get rid of.

Inputmapper has always had adds. Use DS4windows if it bothers you or just pay the people that make inputmapper 2 bucks to never have to deal with adds again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Is astroturfing illegal yet? I wonder how an investigation into those sorts of allegations would go with something like a forum or reddit.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AHAHAHAAHAH. What alphabet is she using when she gives herself top billing?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Lladre posted:

that's just sad. Someone should buy her some flowers or something

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D1E posted:

LOL.

Scam.

Gizmondo did release a product that existed in reality, which you could turn on and sometimes do more with. It fulfilled more of its promises than Chris has done as of yet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/784180744075771904

You're the Chris Roberts of blog posts

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marching Powder posted:

I would love to believe that nobody is that aggressively retarded, and that it is a group of people diabolical enough to intentionally mislead a herd of extremely autistic game enthusiasts for money.

Is it really that much of a stretch given who's in charge of marketing?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think she's savvy enough to realize the correlation or see that it isn't her that's the reason for it. I honestly think she's just self-conceited enough to think the success is because she's the one selling it.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SNAP.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ayn Marx posted:

Moma for new OP

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

Of all the logic gymnastics that backers do, here's the one thing I don't understand.

How in their minds, it will go from poo poo to amazing. Right now, it's poo poo. Almost everything about it is poo poo (the models are cool, if bland). Netcode is poo poo. Instances are poo poo. Animations are poo poo. Clipping is poo poo. T-posing is poo poo.

But somehow this giant pile of poo poo is going to magically transform like some kind of poo poo-caterpillar into a beautiful and not poo poo-butterfly.

idgi. :psyduck:

Because the conversation usually goes like this:

- It's poo poo.
- But it's going to be AMAZING.
- But it's poo poo.
- It's in alpha. It shows what's possible.
- But. It's. poo poo. It shows poo poo is possible. You can't polish a turd.
- It's not that bad...
- Yes it is. I've tried it. It's poo poo.
- Why are you so angry about a game? If you don't like it, don't play it!
- I won't. Because it's poo poo.
- IT'S THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD PLAYING ANYTHING IN YEARS! GO HOME DEIRDRE SMEG!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

Stop it sandi you're almost making me feel sorry for you

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Derek gets there in the end, sure he doesn't have a $125mil budget, but he just does his thing.

Star Citizen: Derek gets there in the end

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I always thought being a movie star would be cool too, why didn't I think of marrying some fat washed up game developer and scamming nerds for millions in order to make my dreams come true :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chin posted:

There's a hugely upvoted post on /r/gaming of the gif showing the warp from planet surface to planet surface in the supposed editor demo.

It really was just shiny enough to fool stupid people. Lots of unironic "this is how NMS should have done it" sentiments.

A comment with 5,000 upvotes:

quote:

Something that doesn't really come across in the videos where they quantum jump like that is that moving like that is not a loading screen. You are actually moving through the space in a persistent instance. You could also cruise from the first to the second planet, and it might take hours, but its not just magically warping you there.

You couldn't.
Anyone claiming otherwise is free to prove otherwise.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

✔ Washed up game developer
✔ Has massive ego
✔ Made countless mediocre scifi games
✔ Currently working on another terrible scifi game
✔ Never delivers on promises

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

✔ Has massive ego

Whoa

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Everything in this game has such a lame name

The Stanton System? WTF?

Also, naming the main in-game company after yourself, and naming your real-life company after that? It's mental illness all the way down!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Why is there a dense savannah right next to a sand desert wedged in between, and at roughly the same altitude as, snow-capped mountains?

The first part is because they originaly wanted to do a demo of "multiple planets with differrent ecosystems" then hosed up so badly they only left it at the desert demo (i assume the plan was to demo all the "planets" on the same map, with cuts and transitions).

The second part is because heightmaps have a limited range - and they've used most of it for detail (dunes and ripples), so total dynamic range is too small for a proper mountain.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

✔ Has massive ego

You forgot to mention Wing Commander: The Movie.

Its ok though, we'd all like to forget about it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was sort of wondering, since Cryengine runs on a heightmap image to generate the terrain, how the gently caress do you even do a spherical planet or proc-gen that.

Is that why that demo level was 10GB? It had a 9GB topology.bmp file?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'm looking forward to Wing Commander: The Movie: The Game: The Movie though.

Coming to theatres PCs PCs and Consoles near you in 2016 2017 2018. maybe

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Hamburger Test posted:

Rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Sandi Gardiner ... Dee
Aaron R Landon ... Abel
Conner Floyd ... Bryan

Using which alphabet?

Yes.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Wuxi posted:

You forgot to mention Wing Commander: The Movie.

Its ok though, we'd all like to forget about it.

Didn't know Derek was a director? :smugdog:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Wuxi posted:

I'm looking forward to Wing Commander: The Movie: The Game: The Movie though.

Coming to theatres PCs PCs and Consoles near you in 2016 2017 2018. maybe

Can't wait to read the screams of Shitizens when SQ42 (Episode 1 (Prelude)) is on sale for 80% off on PSN

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's the innate understanding that what these morons require is that degree of self-righteous,, angry, completely unwarranted condescension that flies in the face of a rational thought that I find diabolical. Not the act of fleecing nerds.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Doesn't Post-Production mean the main product is finished and that all of the final edits are being made prior to release?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

Aka "We nicked the source for Proland and mucked about with it a bit..." ;)

Okay, CIG might not have actually used the Proland code base, but there is so much public domain info on how to do realtime procgen planets that its really not that hard to put a system together. The only reason you don't see a lot of procgen planets in games is not because they are hard to do, its simply because most of the time they are not needed.

I honestly doubt there's anything real time about their terrain generation.
Their interpretation of procedural planets is generating a height map procedurally (once, in development, not clientside) and baking the resulting terrain into a crysis map, then manually sculpting and populating with scenery where necessary.

They admitted as much a while ago too, if i remember correctly.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

Doesn't Post-Production mean the main product is finished and that all of the final edits are being made prior to release?

Obviously. They just need to flick a few switches with a few quick edits to turn on features. Don't you know anything about game development?

I'm more interested in how she's starring as the pivotal role of "Vic's Mom" in "American Satan".

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

I'd be worried if they did devote more than a few people to that demo. I had a quick look at the youtube upload and compared to the low res, compressed twitch stream, the jankiness stood out to me a lot more.

None of the AI in the ambush sequence were scripted to move, and they didn't make sure that the models were placed above the ground. There were what, like four enemies?

He's placed correctly, he's just walking on stumps.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

LCL-Dead posted:

The mocap is considered the game.

Its funny how that keeps happening.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Ayn Marx posted:

Moma for new OP

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Skellybones posted:

Yeah I was sort of wondering, since Cryengine runs on a heightmap image to generate the terrain, how the gently caress do you even do a spherical planet or proc-gen that.

There is a trick where you take six heightfields, rotate each height field so it forms a cube, and then take each point on the heightfield, normalise the point, then times the normalised value by the radius of the sphere you want to create.
Its a fairly common way to generate a sphere from a mesh, you get a wee bit of distortion at the points where corners of each heightfield meet, however not as bad as polar based spheres.

Your actual mesh data is split over a number of increasingly complex meshes, and the height data is then applied to the meshes you have visible.

There are other ways to generate planet spheres, but the above system plays very nicely with quad tree systems used to simplify the mesh to reduce poly count at long distances from the camera position, so its a really popular way to draw very large planets.

This page kinda goes into some of the basics
https://acko.net/blog/making-worlds-1-of-spheres-and-cubes/

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

Worse than that.
It had a heightmap *baked into polys*.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

LCL-Dead posted:

Why is she also in Star Citizen? I thought S42 was the "interactive" movie.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Codezombie posted:

There is a trick where you take six heightfields, rotate each height field so it forms a cube, and then take each point on the heightfield, normalise the point, then times the normalised value by the radius of the sphere you want to create.
Its a fairly common way to generate a sphere from a mesh, you get a wee bit of distortion at the points where corners of each heightfield meet, however not as bad as polar based spheres.

Your actual mesh data is split over a number of increasingly complex meshes, and the height data is then applied to the meshes you have visible.

There are other ways to generate planet spheres, but the above system plays very nicely with quad tree systems used to simplify the mesh to reduce poly count at long distances from the camera position, so its a really popular way to draw very large planets.

This page kinda goes into some of the basics
https://acko.net/blog/making-worlds-1-of-spheres-and-cubes/

That's way too sensible and involved for CIG, though.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SMH. "Crysis level detail on a GLOBAL scale..."

Let's actually see this before proclaiming it as fact, hm? Also, he calls out the infinity guy(s) for not having space to planet, and having a 'loading' screen. That guy has been plugging away at that engine for over a decade. I know, I have checked in on it since the early aughts, myself. I am pretty sure he made the game only because he loves building the seamless planet stuff.

This is from 2006! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE

I actually feel a little bad for the guy. He could never sell the engine, but people clearly want this stuff in games.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

Why is she also in Star Citizen? I thought S42 was the "interactive" movie.

Extra paycheck and iMDB credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

EightAce posted:

[quote="EminusSleepus" post="465246645"]
Derek Smart do you know who these guys are ?

Guy on the left is the legendary Simon Elms. Ex CFO of gizmondo

Hmm.....small world

E; N/m he works at CIG

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 12, 2016

• Locked thread