Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kommando posted:

I imagine he sounds exactly like John Safran

I'm a fan of first dog.
So what's with the nested quotes thing you Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Cartoon posted:

So what's with the nested quotes thing you Nazi.

dunno.

What's with the Isis flag?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kommando posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/act-election-2016/results/

All parties made gains at the expense of the liberals who lost 3.3%

Except the Greens who also had a small swing against them. I'm not sure of the politics that gives a swing to a Labor government at the expense of both the Liberals and the Greens.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Resident Idiot posted:

Except the Greens who also had a small swing against them. I'm not sure of the politics that gives a swing to a Labor government at the expense of both the Liberals and the Greens.

Rational politics, seems kinda obvious

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Resident Idiot posted:

I got a suspicion that that's a feature of li'l parties like Sex, and the "not really politicians, common sense blokes" parties and candidates really trying hard to wrangle protest votes, in a way that the Greens have really backed off from recently.

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 15, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

The political field has broadened, in the sense that more parties are viable. 30 years ago when I started voting, you could count the number of parties on one hand. It's important to remember why the Senate voting changes and registration changes were made: because people are organizing more. It was easier before because no one could be bothered to set up a party based on one or two issues, now they are bothering. Even if there are batshit insane parties to our eyes, they're still representing something to a section of people. Some of this is definitely regional too, which is an interesting development, which might see some inroads into the Nats power base.

As small as our population is and as homogeneous a culture, we might see something similar to Germany's democracy in the future where parties have strongholds in different regions in a more detailed patchwork than at present.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

I'm expecting the Greens to even out. right now - 0.1% is nothing since the Greens retained their one elected member from last time.
the main gains have been independents and LAB

also the rules changed to allow votes to exhaust instead of numbering all the boxes.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Resident Idiot posted:

There's basically no swing to Labor or the Greens, and a strong swing against the Liberals, which basically all went to minor parties.
The ACT really doesn't like the Liberal party.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7mo3TiBvD4

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Schlesische posted:

The ACT really doesn't like the Liberal party.

who can say why :iiam:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think the Greens are going to have a hard time increasing their vote by much as long as ACT Labor keeps governing in a reasonably competent and progressive way. A lot of the reasons for voting Greens instead of Labor at state and federal levels just aren't there in the ACT.

That the tram will be built is a huge relief and finally, after two elections on light rail, the city can get on with developing its transport infrastructure.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

half the reason i voted greens/alp was to stick it to all the morons who seem to believe that light rail is going to cause god to smite us or something

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BBJoey posted:

half the reason i voted greens/alp was to stick it to all the morons who seem to believe that light rail is going to cause god to smite us or something

BUT ARE BALINCED BUGGET!

I don't know how badly Canberra needs light rail when in my experience *nobody* uses the busses, but weh. I guess if you have it people might use it?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

One of the main benefits is that it provides some structure for future development. Building car based suburbs and retrofitting them with public transport is just about impossible. Building the transport first and then developing around it goes some way to preventing the same mistakes from being made again.

You could do more or less the same thing with BRT for a lot less money, but people hate buses and you can't trust the government not to change all the routes at the drop of a hat.

Also trams are cool.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/casey-council-mosque-decision-draws-protest-and-hostility-in-melbournes-south-east-20161015-gs31u4.html

quote:

Local council elections have traditionally revolved around the three Rs: rates, roads and rubbish.

But for Casey Council, a rapidly expanding and multicultural municipality in Melbourne's south-east, a new R appears to be taking centre stage: religion.

It came to a head in April.

With police officers stationed at the door, a ban on public questions and photographs, the air rippled with tension at Narre Warren's council chamber the night the mosque was rejected.

What was supposed to be a straightforward planning matter had become so much bigger.

More than 1000 objections to the mosque had been received. The council chamber was so full that dozens of residents and anti-racism protesters had to waitoutside.

Inside the chamber, the mosque's proponents, the Saarban Islamic Trust, were not given time to speak. But the mayor, Sam Aziz, used his address to slam the group.

Cr Aziz told the group that their response to a planning report on the mosque was unacceptable and the group had not endeared themselves to anyone.

"For you to claim that you are now shocked by the content of the planning report, is either at best mischievous or at worst malicious – either way it is unacceptable," Cr Aziz said.

The mayor said the council would fight any appeal to its decision to reject the mosque with "every resource required".
That Aziz guy sounds like a bit of a fuckwit

quote:

Although he said he voted based on planning issues alone, Cr Aziz has aligned himself with the "Stop the Mosque in Narre Warren" group, which rallies against the "Islamisation" of Australia.

He has posted on its Facebook page thanking his "friends" for their support, following a story in Fairfax Media where he accused local doctor Belal Haniffa, who joined the "Casey Against Racism" Facebook page, of dressing up "to look like a terrorist in his spare time". Dr Haniffa's profile picture was taken on a hunting trip.

also there's some good poo poo doing the rounds up in queensland

quote:

Queensland paramedics fear a mysterious new drug that causes severe hallucinations may be handed around at the annual schoolies celebrations.

Paramedics were called to treat seven patients in Surfers Paradise and one in Labrador on Saturday night, in what became the second round of cases.

A Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) spokesman said the patients were all suffering the same symptoms, including hallucinations, and paramedics were "very concerned" about the unknown product.

At least one of the patients had to be sedated before being taken to hospital.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Greens have gotten 2 quotas now.

Currently at 12 LAB, 10 LIB, 2 GRN, 1 contested.

BBJoey posted:

Come to the next canberra goonmeet.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Kommando posted:

Greens have gotten 2 quotas now.

Currently at 12 LAB, 10 LIB, 2 GRN, 1 contested.

You're the sex party guy, right? Congrats on the turnout

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Stephen Koukoulas' latest steaming take: millennials should stop whining, they could all afford houses if they just cut back on the smashed avocado

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

i could afford a house if the industry i spent 5 years at uni studying to work in didn't crash as a result of the GFC

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

i could afford a house if the industry i spent 5 years at uni studying to work in didn't crash as a result of the GFC

Or

Less $20 brunches

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or

Less $20 brunches

I can't remember the last $20 brunch I had
might have been a huge pile of macca's from the drive through as I was heading home the morning after a big night on the piss

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
more like wurst dog

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But all of this is mere ephemera. It gets worse. I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more. I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn't they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But all of this is mere ephemera. It gets worse. I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more. I can afford to eat this for lunch because I am middle-aged and have raised my family. But how can young people afford to eat like this? Shouldn't they be economising by eating at home? How often are they eating out? Twenty-two dollars several times a week could go towards a deposit on a house.

you could buy a weeks worth of mi goreng for $22

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Stephen Koukoulas' latest steaming take: millennials should stop whining, they could all afford houses if they just cut back on the smashed avocado

Bernard Salt you mean

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Picketer/status/787460057449365509

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Salt was the one who specifically said the avocado thing, though Kouk pretty regularly says that housing affordability is fine too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh, I saw Kouk defending it on Twitter and it seemed inane and stupid enough to be one of his

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nah guys, capitalism will solve it.

Shipping crate pop up houses.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Fair cop, though. $10 less a day on gold leaf vodka and you'll save a $3,650 a year. That's a 5% deposit in only 11ish years. Another 10 or so to save for the lawyers, purchaser's insurance, and stamp duty and you'll have a house at two-decade old prices by the time you're 40.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yes but interest rates were higher in previous decades and furthermore faaaaaaaaart

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I am in my late 30s and I own a small unit in western Sydney. I earn well above the median wage, yet I can't afford to upgrade to a median priced home in Sydney.

I feel so sorry those in their early to mid 20s. I have no fucken idea how they are ever meant to buy a place without major help from their parents.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Freudian Slip posted:

I feel so sorry those in their early to mid 20s. I have no fucken idea how they are ever meant to buy a place without major help from their parents.

The only way any of us youngbloods are going to own our own homes is when we inherit them from our dead parents, whom most of us currently live with

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i intend to rent forever from generations with more financial acumen

you can pry my smashed avo from my cold dead hands you bastards

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

You're the sex party guy, right? Congrats on the turnout

Was. I was a member for a year so they wouldn't be deregistered. Not a financial member any more.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bill Leak's being investigated by the HRC under 18c. Here we go again!

Surely he'll have a measured and reasoned respons-

Oh.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The federal government has defended its approach to tacking welfare following the release of new research showing nearly 3 million Australians are living below the poverty line.

A new Australian Council of Social Service (Acoss) report says this figure includes 731,000 children – a 2% increase in the past decade.

The chief executive of Acoss, Cassandra Goldie, said the alarming results should act as an urgent appeal to senators to reject further cuts to family payments, currently before the upper house.

The assistant minister for social services, Zed Seselja, said the government was very committed to finding ways to encourage people to look after themselves and get people off welfare if they didn’t need to be on it.

“Our opponents on the left have pushed, I think, a welfare mentality in this country,” Seselja told Sky News on Sunday. “We simply can’t go on assuming huge numbers of Australians welfare will just become the norm.”

He said the government is committed to an “investment-led approach” which could result in more training, more mentoring and more opportunities for internships.

Labor’s spokeswoman for families and social services, Jenny Macklin, responded by saying that the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, had failed to show leadership on tackling poverty and inequality.

“Instead, Mr Turnbull wants to make cruel budget cuts that will hurt vulnerable Australians even more,” she said in a statement.

But Dr Goldie is becoming increasingly frustrated with such debates.

“We frame it as if it’s the fault of the individual, you’re either lazy, not working hard enough, not retraining hard enough, but the basic numbers are there,” she told ABC television.

“One job available for every five people conservatively is the estimate looking for paid work.”

She said former Labor prime minister Bob Hawke reduced child poverty by a third after setting it as a core goal of his government.

“But over the last 10 years we’ve seen no change in the level of poverty among the Australian population as a whole – but children are really at risk,” Goldie said.

She said the cuts stripping another $60 a week from single parent families and the proposal to withhold Newstart support for young people for up to four weeks would likely lead to increased poverty.

Goldie said the overall picture from the past decade was one of persistent and entrenched poverty across the community with an increase in child poverty, which she described as a national shame.

Those most at risk were children in lone parent families who are three times more likely to be living in poverty than those from couple families,

Goldie said those doing it toughest were overwhelmingly people living on the $38 a day Newstart payment, 55% of whom were in poverty.

That was followed by families on the parenting payment (51.5%), the majority of whom were lone parents with children.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kommando posted:

i'm concerned that you're all going to be viciously anti-tram and will beat me up, make fun of me, put me in a locker etc

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So old Mal was hanging out with News Corpse editors the night before ABC and SBS heads were due to appear at a senate committee...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pauline Hanson's One Nation party has quadrupled its primary vote since the July election, a new poll suggests, with their support in Queensland reaching 10 per cent.

• Locked thread