Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

norp posted:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-20/bill-leak-cartoon-accurate-reflection-karl-ocallaghan-says/7951320?pfmredir=sm

Seriously? Why would you bring that cartooon back to the fore and hitch your wagon to it?

Just remember that this "top cop"'s son nearly blew himself up while hanging out in a meth lab with his buddies a few years ago.

Furthermore the kid he's making reference to isn't even indigenous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm pretty sure screeching llama isn't a gun nut and what we're dealing with here is lolbcat under a re-reg.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's hard to know what screaming llama stood for, towards the end he was only posting for a few precious hours every 30 days and most of it was a sort of nonsensical high pitched wailing

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Buzzfeed poo poo journalism still better than regular poo poo journalism:

Mining Lobby Linked To Fake Twitter Army Co-Ordinating Against Renewable Energy

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There was a bunch of stuff like that on Twitter just before the ACT election. Must be the new buying Facebook likes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theage/status/789337955286540288

Leyonhjelm for Prime Minister.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I wouldn't say that, he might take it as an invitation.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

There was a bunch of stuff like that on Twitter just before the ACT election. Must be the new buying Facebook likes.

and look how much good it did

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Bob Day has “forgiven” a $1.4m loan to Family First as part of the continuing fallout associated with the collapse of his building empire.

The Family First Senator confirmed this week he was quitting politics after his building company, Home Australia Pty Ltd, went into liquidation.

The advisory firm McGrathNicol has been appointed liquidator of Home Australia Pty Ltd and each of its wholly owned subsidiaries.

A new return published by the Australian Electoral Commission shows Day has forgiven the loan, made in the 2013-14 financial year, to Family First.

Day has been a substantial personal backer of Family First over several years. His loans and donations to the political party in recent times are in the order of $1.7m.

Pity about those 200 people with unfinished homes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

adamantium|wang posted:

ahaha that's so great

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

adamantium|wang posted:

"Families", isn't it?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Think of all the avo toast that could buy

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

tithin posted:

I wouldn't say that, he might take it as an invitation.

Fwiw my preferred pronouns are Xe/xem/xir. Thanks.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Okay Llama.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

I only recognise "citizen", "boat person" and "robot" thanks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Really sticking it to the people who oppress your rights as a white guy

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Recoome posted:

Really sticking it to the people who oppress your rights as a white guy

I politely stated my preferences which I don't need to justify. Thanks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I politely stated my preferences which I don't need to justify. Thanks.

you are that liberal dude who signed a stat dec in order to be elected right?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-22/calls-for-tasmanias-begging-law-to-be-changed/7956548

quote:

A Tasmanian law that fines people for begging is "criminalising poverty" and should be abolished, human rights advocates say.

The state's Police Offences Act lists begging as a crime, and it comes with a fine of almost $800.

Since July, two people have been charged under the law.

Australian Lawyers Alliance Tasmania director Henry Pill said people who were forced to beg were in no position to pay a fine.

"Putting them into the justice system is only going to make the system worse," he said.

"It's using the resources of the justice system in an inappropriate way when they're already under stress.

"It's compounding the severe problems of ... people with severe economic and social problems."

Mr Pill called for the policy to be reconsidered.

"It's time in 2016 that we stopped criminalising extreme poverty," he said.

"It seems to be an offence that is still being zealously pursued by the police."
'Beggars reflect growing hardship in Tasmania'

Tasmanian Council of Social Service chief executive Kym Goodes said poverty should not be a crime.

"People only beg out of extreme poverty and extreme desperation," Ms Goodes said.

"We shouldn't have a criminal response to what is a social issue and a social need in our community."

She said the fine would be very difficult to pay back for most Tasmanians, let alone someone "already forced to beg".

Ms Goodes said an increase in the number of beggars reflected growing hardship in Tasmania.

"Most people would see a higher incidence of people begging outside of supermarkets at the moment," she said.

"This is an indicator of the high level of Tasmanians living in poverty."

Police Minister Rene Hidding said the Government did not have plans to change the law.

"We believe there are sufficient measures in place to ensure that disadvantaged people are not unduly caught up in the legal system," he said.

WTH Tasmania...

E: Although we probably have the death penalty for begging in NSW and I wouldn't know because no-one gives a poo poo about the homeless in NSW.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Starshark posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-22/calls-for-tasmanias-begging-law-to-be-changed/7956548

WTH Tasmania...

E: Although we probably have the death penalty for begging in NSW and I wouldn't know because no-one gives a poo poo about the homeless in NSW.

In qld if you don't pay your begging fine you go to prison Source: my mate (multiple times)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Apparently NSW is one of the states where begging isn't illegal along with the ACT and... WA?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

WTH Tasmania...

You must have missed the LNP memo titled "kill the poor" for their planning portfolio.

Relevant Mitchell & Webb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Ask Noel: can I increase my pension by buying a jetty?

When I sought advice from Centrelink recently I was informed that if you had purchased an apartment that came with a jetty, the jetty would be classified as an asset and not as part of the apartment. Therefore, the cost of the jetty would be assessed under the assets test even if you used it for private purposes. I was then told that if I owned a house on the water and it came with a jetty that it was classed as a part of the home and not assessable. The jetty at the apartment in question is separated from the complex by a public walkway with a separate body corporate. In saying that the house jetty would be separated from the house by a fence alignment.

I asked this question because we get a part pension and I was looking at buying a jetty that is for sale to increase our part pension, which will be halved in Jan 2017.

A jetty separate from a person's principal home would be assessable as an asset, especially if it was bought for the purposes of producing income.

The principal home exemption applies to the dwelling house and some adjacent land. The term "adjacent land" describes the land on which the principal home stands, and is held under the same title document. The maximum amount of land on the same title as the principal home that can be exempted under the "private land use test" is two hectares. To meet the private land use test the area of land must be used primarily for private and domestic purposes.

Centrelink has confirmed that, if a jetty stood on land on the same title as the home, and the land met the private land use test, the jetty could be regarded as part of the person's principal home, and disregarded from the assets test.

http://www.smh.com.au/money/ask-an-expert/ask-noel-can-i-increase-my-pension-by-buying-a-jetty-20160926-grods6.html

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real news in that article is that someone managed to contact Centrelink for advice.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"How can I collect benefits while owning a waterfront property"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

Tatjana's head would spin if she knew I parked in the parents with prams spot whilst childless.

I've done the same with a motorbike

MysticalMachineGun posted:

You're a monster. I can never get one of those parks! :smith:

:shrug: they're always empty

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There's no law surrounding parents with prams parking so I take them all the time. Just because you have a kid doesn't make you more or less entitled to a parking space.

I respect the the 2hr express parking though because if it takes you more than 2hrs to do anything at a shopping centre besides see a movie you should take a good long look at yourself and what you're doing with your life.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
You're so brave

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is there a law against parking in the disabled spaces when they're on private property?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

Is there a law against parking in the disabled spaces when they're on private property?

probably not, but they might decide to tow you

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/using-roads/mobility-parking/parking-concessions.html posted:

Parking for permit holders

You can only access parking concessions when:

A Mobility Parking Scheme permit and Australian Disability Parking Permit are displayed together in the vehicle, and
The vehicle is being used to transport the permit holder.
For organisation permit holders, parking concessions are only accessible when transporting an eligible person.

See Displaying your permit for detailed information.

Parking concessions are only available at on-street and council operated car parks.

Privately operated car parks

Car parks that operate behind boom gates are privately operated. There are no parking concessions in these areas.

To park in a designated disability parking space within a private car park, you must display your valid permit and pay any fees required by the car park operator.

Private car parks operate under rules determined by the private proprietor, and enforcement of these rules is the responsibility of designated authorised officers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So the new narrative this week is Potato vs 4corners because they wouldn't interview him. He wouldn't go on Lateline afterwards though. Stupid potato.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

There's no law surrounding parents with prams parking so I take them all the time. Just because you have a kid doesn't make you more or less entitled to a parking space.

i mean can you see why they exist though?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:ironicat:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/23/triggs-should-keep-out-politics-pyne

quote:

Federal cabinet minister Christopher Pyne has cautioned the Human Rights Commission president she should stay out of politics. Source: AAP 23 OCT 2016 - 11:32 AM UPDATED 56 MINS AGO

A senior minister has criticised Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs for making "substantial errors of judgment" in criticising MPs and allowing her role to be politicised. But the opposition says it is yet another example of the government attacking the messenger. Professor Triggs last week had to back away from evidence she gave to a parliamentary committee accusing journalists of manufacturing quotes and quoting her out of context. The commission president was quizzed about comments to The Saturday Paper in which she fumed at "seriously ill-informed and uneducated" politicians questioning her work. Cabinet minister Christopher Pyne says giving that interview had been a mistake. "Gillian Triggs, I think, has made substantial errors of judgment in commenting on the political process and commenting on politicians," he told ABC TV on Sunday "She is to stay out of politics and stick with human rights. It was unfortunate Prof Triggs had ended up with a very high profile ', he said. "I am sure if you asked her she would probably be as disappointed and surprised as anybody that the Human Rights Commissioner has become a political figure when of course they should be an administrative one. "Lots of other Human Rights Commissioners have never been heard of, they just got on with their job."

But he says the matter of whether the government still has confidence in Prof Triggs is one for the prime minister and attorney-general to decide.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten accused the government of attacking Prof Triggs to distract from its own poor performance over the past week. "There they go again, the Liberal Party, attacking the messenger, attacking statutory office-holders," he told reporters in Burnie, Tasmania. "Who haven't the Liberals attacked? Which experts haven't they brought a fight on with?"
Here's a clue Mr Pyne. Maybe stop performing human rights abuses and the commissioner could stay out of your face.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

She is to stay out of politics and stick with human rights.

:psyduck:

Are these people incapable of understanding words?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Recoome posted:

i mean can you see why they exist though?

Not really. Disabled spots yes, parents with big honking SUVs and monster prams, no.

Cartoon posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/23/triggs-should-keep-out-politics-pyne
Here's a clue Mr Pyne. Maybe stop performing human rights abuses and the commissioner could stay out of your face.

:agreed:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Seniors and parents with prams are, by and large, the groups that can visit the shops during the day outside of peak hours anyway.

Seniors parking is a double rort too since you get a disabled sticker at a certain age anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's marketing. Next you'll be telling me being worth it isn't actually a reason to buy makeup.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cartoon posted:

"allowing her role to be politicised" :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:psyduck:

Are these people incapable of understanding words?

No, they change them into the form of something they have and you don't because you don't belong in the angry rabbit club.

• Locked thread