Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

These retarded delights have retarded ends.

Easily the funniest thing I've seen all month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't been reading the thread.

Well you're smart after all.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The TV IV › HBO's Westworld: Have you ever questioned the nature of your banality?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

R-Type posted:

The TV IV › HBO's Westworld: Have you ever questioned the nature of your banality?

Mods please change thread title.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bicyclops posted:

"gently caress your speculative theories, questions about minutiae as to how stuff works, and pretentious allegorical analysis!"

-a bunch of posters on a forum discussing a television show, apparently incapable of realizing that there is almost nothing else to post besides "It's good" or "It's bad" and a few obvious jokes referencing the actors' appearances in other work.

no no no its fine to post theories, i just have to agree with them!!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

"gently caress your easily-refuted speculative theories, incessant questions about minutiae as to how stuff works, and pretentious allegorical analysis!"

Fixed your post.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How do i shot gun?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

JossiRossi posted:

This interested me, because why would the designers make the Natives believe that spirits who look like the clean up suits are beings from hell? Not to say they didn't, but it might be that the designers could never quite stamp these ideas out, but found a way to mitigate their impact.

It makes sense considering the idea that these beings come up from the earth (underground facility), take the dead and carry them into the earth, and then some time later the dead are alive and walking around the town.

Though it doesn't explain why hosts have a concept named Hell or Heaven unless it was part of the cowboy thing.

mng posted:

Rewatching the episodes again, and I'm still impressed by the way they show the hosts glitching out, and how they sit perfectly still when they're being diagnosed.

For some reason Teddy can't sit still when Ford is talking to him (before uploading the Wyatt backstory); it's like he was trembling a little the entire time. Makes me think the actor was really cold or something, unless he's justa twitchy guy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LentThem posted:

For some reason Teddy can't sit still when Ford is talking to him (before uploading the Wyatt backstory); it's like he was trembling a little the entire time.

You try acting opposite a legend for the very first time bare rear end naked.

I give him props for keeping it together at all.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LentThem posted:

For some reason Teddy can't sit still when Ford is talking to him (before uploading the Wyatt backstory); it's like he was trembling a little the entire time. Makes me think the actor was really cold or something, unless he's justa twitchy guy.

Each host has a prescribed "Emotional affect".

Teddy is a calm and cool customer and as such, behaves that way, even under scrutiny.

Dolores has a panicked and flighty personality. Hence everyone telling that bitch to calm the gently caress down. :v: Limit her emotional affect.

Any sort of actual emotional ability is prescribed by the people watching this show.

Much like how Ford explained that the carving wasn't Orion.

Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
ehh maybe he's just twitchy - i mean did you guys see that badass gunkata move he did with his revolver when he was surrounded by hatchetmen?!?!?

now i really want to see someone with a slipgun on the show

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
One good thing, at the speed they are going, presumably they'll get to the maze and the puzzle solution this season. Only question is, what sort of puzzle they will substitute instead.

I really hope it's hosts with superhuman abilities. Instead of 'hosts rebelling against humanity' or 'hosts discovering their humanity' (or 'hosts establishing a facsimile of human society'), just blow past that and go full transhumanism instead.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Shbobdb posted:

MiB is Arnold's husband. He's trying to understand his spouse's suicide and the obsession that drove him to it. In his mind, these robots killed a real person he loves so if they can suffer they deserve every second of it.

I kinda agree except I think they are brothers

Disco De Soto posted:

My new theory: the man in black is Arnold's brother. He's been coming ever since the accident to find out what happened, and he's finally on the right track. That's how he knows about Arnold.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

meristem posted:

One good thing, at the speed they are going, presumably they'll get to the maze and the puzzle solution this season. Only question is, what sort of puzzle they will substitute instead.

I really hope it's hosts with superhuman abilities. Instead of 'hosts rebelling against humanity' or 'hosts discovering their humanity' (or 'hosts establishing a facsimile of human society'), just blow past that and go full transhumanism instead.

Hosts in the outside world sort of thing?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Memento posted:

Westworld without Westworld?

I really don't know what they'll do with S2, but I want to see what Nolan does.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I'm guessing they will find the entrance to the maze as the last scene of the season, and then the writers snort shitloads of coke and try to :lost: this poo poo into the ground.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I only just now realized Dr Ford's full name is Robert Ford, aka Jesse James' partner who shot him in the back.

I'm sure that has some significance but what could it be...

Also someone may've already mentioned it but it got lost in the multiple timelines.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Memento posted:

Nah, more 'hosts peacefully expel all humans from Westworld, start directing their own evolution' sort of thing. I'd like Nolan to have a go at imagining an evolving inhuman society.

e: One thing that I found funny in some reviews was whining about how 'the human characters, who *should be the most interesting* and with whom *we should identify*, are boring'. I think the reviewers came to the series from an entirely different perspective than I did (or, for that matter, Robert 'humans have stopped evolving and are therefore boring' Ford). Within the story, Dolores et al. have the potential to be something totally different than humans - and as a member of the audience, I'd love to see what Nolan and Joy think that could be.

meristem fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 28, 2016

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

King Vidiot posted:

I only just now realized Dr Ford's full name is Robert Ford, aka Jesse James' partner who shot him in the back.

I'm sure that has some significance but what could it be...

Also someone may've already mentioned it but it got lost in the multiple timelines.

It's been heavily implied Ford had something to do with Arnold's death more than him causing an accident accidentally.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

It's been heavily implied Ford had something to do with Arnold's death more than him causing an accident accidentally.

How has it been "heavily implied"?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I might have missed it in the thread but is there a reason people do not think Westworld is actually in Monument Valley and for some reason have recreated it somewhere else?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nexus6 posted:

I might have missed it in the thread but is there a reason people do not think Westworld is actually in Monument Valley and for some reason have recreated it somewhere else?

It's a sealed environment that you get to via huge underground trains and there's water seeping in everywhere in the underground levels. Also it's hard to get a communication signal out and workers live on the premises and have weeks-long rotation cycles.

It has to be at least a little hard to get to. I would imagine some kind of dome situation no matter where they are geographically.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Well the desert is already a little hard to get to and I thought it was already confirmed that outside communication was difficult because everything is screened to prevent corporate secrets being leaked?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

nexus6 posted:

It could easily be on another planet or some sort of space station. Ford mentioned something to Theresa about giving the board "a world" (I can't remember the exact lines) and I thought it might actually be a hint that he was literally talking about an actual world, even if Westworld is only part of it.

They also mention something about neighbors complaining, so something or someone else is out there beyond what's encapsulated in Westworld.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a sealed environment that you get to via huge underground trains and there's water seeping in everywhere in the underground levels. Also it's hard to get a communication signal out and workers live on the premises and have weeks-long rotation cycles.

It has to be at least a little hard to get to. I would imagine some kind of dome situation no matter where they are geographically.

Maybe it's just Boston.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

nexus6 posted:

it was already confirmed that outside communication was difficult because everything is screened to prevent corporate secrets being leaked?

No?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Dave posted:

How has it been "heavily implied"?

They said it was an accident. If that's not heavily implying it was murder I don't know what is.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

nexus6 posted:

No reason that I can find. It clearly is Monument Valley. There are interesting questions as to how come there is no remaining wildlife, what makes the boundaries of the park, etc. that lead some people to believe that this is a re-creation of Monument Valley somewhere else (either on Earth or in a computer simulation) but there is no evidence from the show that I can tell.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The website map shows a sea on the western edge of the park. If this is Monument Valley then something pretty drastic has happened in the interim.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They said it was an accident. If that's not heavily implying it was murder I don't know what is.

Ford heavily implied that it wasn't an accident. Murder? Maybe. Some weird suicidal thing? Maybe. Ford involved, maybe, but I think that one's more of a stretch. Heavily implied Ford murdered him? No not at all.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

elgarbo posted:

The website map shows a sea on the western edge of the park. If this is Monument Valley then something pretty drastic has happened in the interim.

True, but we just saw Ford has access to BAGGER 288 and an army of host labor, so they could have created an artificial inland sea.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
are all the trees, all the grass, birds and insects confirmed to be artificial?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New to Delos industries, partnered with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielburg, Guadalcanalworld

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

buckets of buckets posted:

All the guest trees and birds wear hats, everyone without a hat is a host, yes.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

The animals are in the movie, I don't think that's been explicit in the show but it would make sense otherwise guests could be attacked by rattlesnakes e.t.c

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

nexus6 posted:

The animals are in the movie, I don't think that's been explicit in the show but it would make sense otherwise guests could be attacked by rattlesnakes e.t.c

We see an artificial rattle snake in the scene with he robokid. Also, Ford says that they designed every blade of grass in the park. Dunno about birds, gently caress birds

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Flies are the real deal, everything else is artificial.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Microbes in the park are hosts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
As are the Micro bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Global warming bro. All of the animals are dead and the sea level is super high.

• Locked thread