Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I never noticed he redid the second cop with fairer skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

I never noticed he redid the second cop with fairer skin.

You reckon Bill Leak would let a black man touch him?

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
White washing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Left is Abbott, right is Turnbull.

I guess Abbott's hair is supposed to be like a monk's as a play on his name? Or maybe he's wearing a crown of thorns? Who the gently caress knows.

They're in the outback because Bill Leak's the thinnest skinned racist (and also incredibly lazy.)

This is Tim Buckley levels of laziness.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
MEANWHILE!

For many, the promises vanish, and the exploitation begins, at the airport.

They are young, some overseas for the first time, Korean students and workers, lured to Australia with promises of sun and fun, good, well-paying jobs, a chance to study or a working holiday.

Instead, they find themselves housed in overcrowded hovels, indentured to labour in construction, late-night cleaning, or restaurants, under brutal conditions and for as little as $9 an hour.

In many cases, workers have no contract, and no idea for whom they are ultimately working. In others, workers have their passports seized so they cannot leave.

The Australian government’s fair work ombudsman says it has uncovered “persistent” underpayment of Korean workers in Australia, mainly in New South Wales, with at least 24 Korean businesses sanctioned in the past two years.

Prof Allan Fels, the head of the government’s newly established migrant workers taskforce, told the Guardian that exploitation of migrant workers in Australia was “systemic … in that it is deeply embedded in the practices of some businesses”.

Several Korean employers caught exploiting their staff have claimed they believed there was a below-award “going rate” for migrant workers, or relied on other Korean business owners to tell them what appropriate wages were.

Meeting with the Guardian in inner Sydney, Joe Haln says he was regularly exploited in a series of jobs across Sydney – and sacked when he spoke up – and says exploitation within the close confines of the Korean community in Australia is rife.

He says, in many cases, workers were controlled from the minute they arrive in Australia.

“Agents are closely connected with the exploiters themselves, and everything is organised, right from the beginning. When people arrive at the airport there is somebody there to take them and put them in a van and take them to accommodation. It is accommodation, but it is like a slave camp.”

“They are put in a room, seven or eight people to a room, to sleep, and then they are woken up very early in the morning and driven to the building site, they don’t even know where they are, they don’t know who they are working for, and they are made to start working.”

“These are like forced labour camps, it is like slave labour, these people aren’t free at all.”

Haln said in some cases migrant workers have their passports are taken from them. They are not given employment contracts, and there is no agreement on conditions or rates of pay. The face exorbitant deductions from the money that they are paid for rent, food, or other expenses.

Others, particularly students studying in Australia, find jobs through the Korean local media, where jobs are advertised in Korean without any reference to award rates, or conditions. Some openly advertise pay rates as low as $12 an hour. The national minimum wage in Australia is $17.70 an hour.

Haln is now president of the nascent Korean Workers Union, which aims to protect Korean migrant workers from the systemic abuse he says has exploited, and continues to exploit, thousands, and to inform new workers of their rights.

He says workers are often kept in bleak conditions, crowded into already-overfull houses, especially in the Sydney suburbs of Strathfield and Lidcombe.

“The accommodation is very bad, very bad. Seven or eight people in room, they cannot stretch their legs. Animals should not be kept like this, let alone people.

“This is a cruelty, this is a brutality.”

Many of the Korean workers in Australia are employed on construction sites, building residential apartments or office blocks, or by cleaning companies who have contracts to clean city offices overnight. Others take jobs in restaurants across the city.

For many of those in construction, they work in jobs they are not properly trained for, and without protective equipment. Should they be injured, or seek to complain, they find themselves in a labyrinthine maze of contractors and subcontractors, an arcane chain to which there is no apparent end.

“There is no paperwork, no contract,” Haln said. “People don’t even know who they are working for, so they don’t know who to complain to. Nobody takes any responsibility.”

Student visa-holders in Australia are restricted to working 40 hours a fortnight during term - but are often compelled by employers to work far beyond that quota, and often at massively depressed rates of pay.

Students find themselves compromised and, essentially, trapped: if they complain, or refuse to keep working, they are dismissed instantly, and they are unable to take their case to authorities because they know they are in breach of their visa conditions, and risk having their right to stay in Australia cancelled altogether.

“Sometimes the employer says, ‘I will report you to immigration and you will be deported.’ There is nothing these people can do. They are very afraid,” Haln said.

‘I had to work more shifts or be sacked’
Esther Kim (not her real name) came to Australia to study business. She knew little of Australia beyond a reputation for sunshine and open spaces. As a qualified chef, she quickly found work in a Sydney Korean restaurant to support herself through her studies.

Her student visa mandated she work no more than 40 hours a fortnight.

“But the boss told me I had to work more shifts, many more shifts than 20 hours a week, or they will sack me. And they said I will not be able to get any other job, they will tell other employers not to hire me, the say I won’t get a job anywhere.”

“I was being paid $15 an hour – [the award is, at a minimum, $23.64] – but I was under the threat to get sacked, I couldn’t complain to anyone. They knew I was working more than 20 hours a week, and they said, ‘We will report you to immigration and you will be deported.’”

She said working conditions were oppressive: staff were shouted at and abused, told they were hopeless and constantly threatened they would be dismissed for “working too slowly”.

Kim told the Guardian she and other workers were abused regularly: “They said, ‘You loving idiot’, ‘You whore,’ ‘You are stupid’”

She says restaurant staff were kept in a climate of fear. “We work like slaves, always ‘quick, quick, quick’. And we have no time to eat lunch, or dinner, or go to the toilet.

“We are always afraid, they like to keep us fearful. We are always very tired, very afraid.”

Kim says she stopped eating, lost significant amounts of weight, and couldn’t sleep for the stress. “I ended up crying, many, many times.

“I expected Australians to be respectful, respecting women and workers, but these are Korean people doing this, not Australians. They are exploiting other Koreans because they know they can, and there is no way we can complain.”

The myth of ‘the going rate’
Haln says Korean workers were particularly vulnerable to exploitation because of a number of factors, particularly:

Language – many Korean workers, when they arrive in Australia, don’t speak strong English and so would struggle to find work outside the Korean community. If they upset one employer in the close-knit Korean community they fear being blacklisted by all employees as troublemakers.
Cultural – there is not a culture of worker organisation in Korea. Unions in the Republic of Korea are seen as political, radical and anti-government, so few workers arrive in Australia with a history or connection with organised labour.
Naivety – many who arrive are unaware – and are kept unaware by the exploitative nature of their employment – of Australia’s legal protections for workers, award rates or conditions, and other legal employer obligations, such as safety equipment.
There are now in Australia at any time about 1 million people on temporary residence visas with rights to work – mainly working holiday makers, 457 visa holders, students and New Zealanders.

According to census figures, there are more than 75,000 Koreans living in Australia, more than half of those in Sydney. Fewer than 10% speak English at home.

The office of the fair work ombudsman says it has uncovered a string of cases involving exploitation of Korean workers over the past two years, dominated by “persistent underpayment” of workers.

Several migrant employers have told the ombudsman they undercut minimum wage rates because they paid agoing rate for overseas workers.

The ombudsman, Natalie James, says the so-called “going rate” for overseas workers of any nationality is a myth that must be dispelled.

James says it is illegal for employers to arbitrarily set and pay low, flat rates of pay, and that minimum wage rates apply to everyone in Australia – including visa holders – and are not negotiable.

Last year the operator of a Korean restaurant in Sydney told the fair work ombudsman he advertised for staff for as little as $12 an hour because he feared retribution from competitors if he offered the award rate.

The restaurateur told of pressure from the Korean business community to recruit workers at below-award wages and revealed that businesses which did not comply feared retribution.

Another Korean national who started a business in Australia relied on other business owners in the Korean community to set his pay rate.

“While I understand there are cultural challenges and vastly different laws in other parts of the world, it is important for business people operating here to understand and apply Australian laws,” James says.

In the wake of the 7-Eleven scandal – where franchisees were discovered to be paying as little as $5 an hour to workers – the minister for employment, Michaelia Cash, announced the establishment of a migrant workers taskforce, charged with weeding out and reforming worker exploitation in the Australian economy.

“A number of recent high-profile cases where vulnerable migrant workers have been underpaid and exploited at work have exposed unacceptable gaps in the system,” Cash said.

“While the government acknowledges that the majority of employers do the right thing by their employees, we will not tolerate exploitation in Australian workplaces.”

The government has also increased fines for employers who exploit workers, as well as increasing funding for the office of the fair work ombudsman, and strengthening its powers.

The former Australian Competition and Consumer Commission head Prof Alan Fels, who has been appointed to chair the taskforce, says migrant workers are “highly exploitable” and vulnerable on a number of levels.

“They are willing to work for low pay, because that’s better than no work at all, their bargaining power is weak, and they generally have a lack of knowledge about Australian conditions and award rates.

“It’s also the case that they are generally not unionised, and there might be other ties, family ties, cultural ties, or an obligation around their visa, that means they are vulnerable to exploitation.”

He says the vast majority of exploited workers come from South Asia, China and Korea.

Fels’ taskforce – which will include representation from the departments of immigration, employment, education, as well as the tax office, attorney general’s office, the border force and the fair work ombudsman – has a broad remit to identify the systemic “weakness that create the conditions that allow exploitation of vulnerable migrant workers … and make improvements to stamp out exploitation”.

Dave Oliver, secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions, says while any measures to reduce exploitation of foreign workers are welcome, the government’s measures are “too little, too late”.

“Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and minister Cash have spent the past three years saying that there are no problems with our temporary skilled migration schemes.

“Unfortunately, the evidence available from our affiliated unions and other sources is that both Australian and overseas workers are being disadvantaged and migrant workers are exploited on a regular basis under the current policy and program settings that govern temporary work visas.”

Oliver says the taskforce membership should include representation from unions, non-governmental organisations and community groups “who help migrant workers on an everyday basis”.

“Since the new modern slavery and labour trafficking provisions came into force in 2013, the department of immigration has not prosecuted one employer. More vigorous safeguards need to be in place to protect the interests of overseas workers on temporary visas.”

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Look Anidav, there's always a nationality that we exploit here. If it isn't the Vietnamese, Chinese, Indians, Thai, Indonesians or Eastern Europeans, then who? Who Anidav?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

You Am I posted:

Look Anidav, there's always a nationality that we exploit here. If it isn't the Vietnamese, Chinese, Indians, Thai, Indonesians or Eastern Europeans, then who? Who Anidav?

My vote goes to Chad.

Not the nation named Chad (although...), I mean that we exploit people named Chad. If they don't like it, all they need to do is not be named Chad.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Robots

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

obviously i find the speculation really lovely, otherwise i wouldn't have brought it up in the first place

then why is it cool to speculate a white dude's motivations in committing a crime?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hosed up using the derogatory name literally from the Czech word for slave.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BBJoey posted:

then why is it cool to speculate a white dude's motivations in committing a crime?

look mate i can't help you if you can't make the logical leap, it's been made really really obvious that it's a piece highlighting the disparity between how we report on brown people committing offences vs. white people committing offences. Sorry that you can't see this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And why isn't there a White Pride day, am I right?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

hosed up using the derogatory name literally from the Czech word for slave.

fine, smashy smashy egg men

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

And why isn't there a White Pride day, am I right?

Last one got out of hand:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Vigil last two nights were good. Pity about social media coming up with white pride conspiracy theories.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So police corruption in connection with drug dealing bikies, or the guy was a protected informant and the police really love their stool pigeons. You decide.

quote:

Glen Roberts served in the Cronulla riots and survived being mowed down twice by the same car during a dramatic police pursuit.

Yet his professional career – and his personal life – will forever be defined by a drug exchange he wishes he had never, by chance, witnessed.

One of the two people he arrested and charged that night in April 2011, Wayne Edward Jones, was a major crime figure who, already serving parole, was sent straight back to jail – where he should have remained for several years.

Yet for reasons known only to a select few officers within the NSW Police Force, he did not.

Six months later, the charges against Jones were inexplicably withdrawn and he was freed - with deadly consequences.

Jones later booked into a Coffs Harbour motel where, high on ice, he hogtied, tortured and strangled to death a mother-of-four, Michelle Reynolds. He then ordered take-away pizza beside her broken body before dumping her in bushland the following day.

Senior Constable Roberts, meanwhile, found himself charged with having fabricated "false evidence" in the drug case against Jones.

A Fairfax Media investigation has now found that the force appeared so determined to discredit the officer over what he saw that night, it broke the law by withholding two crucial pieces of evidence from the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and Senior Constable Roberts' defence lawyers which proved his innocence.

As a magistrate was still getting his head around the prosecution's case against Senior Constable Roberts, which he later remarked "should never have started", the worst possible news surfaced in court.

The same violent offender whose drug supply charges had strangely evaporated 14 months earlier had since become the subject of another serious criminal case at Coffs Harbour.

"Sorry your honour … I just have a question," said a court assistant about what first appeared to be a mix up with files. "The case … is for a murder charge."

"We all looked around in disbelief," recalled Senior Constable Roberts.

"The man whom I had charged, who should still have been inside, and for whom I was now in court, had killed someone. I was absolutely devastated."

On April 4, 2011, Senior Constable Roberts and a colleague were patrolling Sydney's Kings Cross where they observed Jones and three young women in a situation that prompted concerns of underage prostitution. Senior Constable Roberts then observed Jones "clearly and without obstruction" place both his hands down the front of his pants and remove "a plastic item" before transferring the object into the co-accused's hands" which she swiftly stuffed down the front of her shorts.

They called for back up and a a female officer searched the girl and located the package inside her pants which contained bags of heroin, ice and marijuana.

However, back at the station, the seemingly straightforward arrest started to unravel when the 21-year-old woman divulged that she had been assisting Newcastle-based detectives with classified intelligence about Jones and his bikie gang associates, describing scenes involving big silver cases and "pounds of drugs" laid across tables. "He is part of the Nomads ... they all are," she said. The woman went on to explain how the previous evening Jones had rounded her and two teenage girls up, conducted an ice deal at a service station and then bashed her and forced her to drive, unlicensed, to Sydney for the purpose of prostitution.

"He had sexual intercourse with me even though I tried to stop him ... and then after that he forced me to do two jobs …otherwise he was going to do it again." She also alleged he had raped one of the other girls.

Throughout the interview, the woman said she was "scared", adding: "Once he overdosed me on heroin and just left me there. Other days he just belts me."

Years earlier, Jones had smashed a woman so hard with a car "club lock", it caused the left side of her face to collapse. He received a seven and a half year sentence with a non-parole period of four and a half years.

He was still on parole for that horrific attack when the drug exchange took place. He was now served with three drug possession charges, one count of dealing with suspected proceeds of crime and an additional charge of supply of an indictable quantity of drugs, which carries a maximum 15 year prison term.

Yet six months on, some shadowy element in the police force set wheels in motion to withdraw all those charges and have Jones freed.

In turn Senior Constable Roberts was suddenly accused of lying about what he'd observed on the night and was charged with "fabricating false evidence with intent to mislead judicial tribunal".

When the case was heard in Sydney's Downing Centre in April 2013, it emerged that the prosecution's case against Senior Constable Roberts hinged on one statement from a senior constable who said Roberts had told her he "hadn't actually seen" the drug transaction that led to Jones being charged.

Yet two pivotal pieces of evidence, which the force had failed to produce for two years, proved otherwise. The first, an official record of interview in which Jones' co-accused acknowledged she personally saw Senior Constable Roberts witness the exchange. "I know you saw me," she said, adding: "I spotted that."

The second testimony came from the female constable called to the sceneto search the three women. In her statement, which police did not disclose, the officer recalled Senior Constable Roberts saying: "I've seen her hug the accused and possibly put something down the front of her pants."

Under the Director of Public Prosecutions Act 1986, police are legally bound to "disclose" to the DPP "all relevant information, documents or other things obtained during the investigation" that might reasonably be expected to assist the case for the prosecution or that of the accused person.

Magistrate Graeme Curran said it was that "critical" evidence that not only favoured the "truthfulness" and "accuracy" of Roberts' observations, but "founded" the supply charges then laid against Jones.

"For reasons which just remain completely inexplicable and quite strange … this document was not provided to the DPP. This is despite a request that it be made available to the DPP."

He added: "It seems quite exceptional, quite unacceptable, and as far as I am concerned, quite inexcusable in relation to the conduct of this matter before the court."

NSW Greens justice spokesman David Shoebridge said on Saturday: "This was either the grossest incompetence or, these actions were conducted with the clear intent of delivering a serious miscarriage of injustice. Either way, the consequences have been deeply tragic."

Senior Constable Roberts has had plenty of time to speculate on why someone in the force freed Jones and then attempted to "throw him under a train". But central to the grief that still consumes him is the question of what might have unfolded, had he never made the arrest that night.

"I'm still plagued by the thought that I may have saved the lives of those three young girls, but I cost another woman hers."

On Saturday, the force released a statement to Fairfax Media acknowledging "the seriousness of this issue."

quote:

Feb 2003: Wayne Jones bashes a woman so hard with a car "club lock", the left side of her face collapses. He already has convictions for armed robbery, possession of a pistol and numerous drug-related charges. At the end of the year, he receives a 7year sentence with a non-parole period of 4years.

Apr 2011: Kings Cross Senior Constable Glen Roberts witnesses a drug exchange involving Jones and a woman who he allegedly brought to Sydney to prostitute. Jones' parole is revoked and he is returned to jail. It emerges the woman has been forwarding classified intelligence about Jones' involvement with a major drug supply and the Nomads motorcycle gang.

Oct 20: All charges against Jones are withdrawn. He is freed.

Nov: Within weeks of being released, Jones is charged with possessing a knife in public, driving while disqualified, dealing with proceeds of crime and possessing identity information to commit an indictable offence. He again avoids jail and is placed on good behaviour bonds, the last of which expires on November 18, 2014.

October 10, 2012: Senior Constable Glen Roberts is charged with "fabricating false evidence with intent to mislead judicial tribunal".

December 11-17: Jones tortures, bashes and strangles Central Coast mother Michelle Reynolds in a Coffs Harbour motel room, then dumps her battered body in bushland.

June 6, 2013: A judge dismisses the case against Senior Constable Roberts and is scathing of police after they were found to have concealed "critical" evidence from the DPP that verified the detective's "truthfulness" and the case against Jones.

October 2014: Jones is sentenced to minimum 20 years jail for murder.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm sorry I don't follow this thread post by post but have we talked about Peter Dutton's podcast yet?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...026-gsb7vb.html

quote:

The ABF is producing its own podcasts, cutting out the media middleman and using a booming platform to deliver its tough-love message straight into the ears of citizens.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/30/government-introduces-new-law-banning-illegal-asylum-seekers-australia

Government introduces new law banning illegal asylum seekers from Australia

The federal government has announced it will make it illegal for asylum seekers who try to come to Australia by boat to ever come to Australia, even as tourists.
Source: SBS News
30 OCT 2016 - 9:58 AM UPDATED NOW
The Migration Act will be amended to ensure that asylum seekers who try to come to Australia by boat are forbidden from entering the country, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced at a joint press conference in Sydney on Sunday.

The law also applies to those found to be refugees.

The legislation, which is expected to be passed in the next parliamentary sitting week, will apply to all those asylum seekers taken to regional processing centres at Manus and Nauru since July 19, 2013.

Mr Turnbull told a press conference that Australia had "one of the most generous humanitarian programs in the world" that could only continue because the country was "in command of its borders."

Immigration and Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton added that the announcement was one of the strongest that the Coalition had made in relation to border protection policy.

"It builds on the success and of the last couple of years and it has to be a very clear message to people smugglers and to people on Nauru and Manus at the moment that Australia is not an option for you," Mr Dutton said.

Mr Turnbull explained that the planned Migration Act amendment came as a result of "the mess" that was left by Labor.

“A humanitarian program has been swamped by these unauthorised arrivals under the Labor government had outsourced the selection of Australia's humanitarian program to people smugglers.”

About 50,000 asylum seekers on board 800 boats arrived to Australia under the previous Labor government, according to the Turnbull government.

Almost 2,000 children have been put in immigration detention in Australia, and there have been about 1,200 deaths at sea.

Mr Turnbull went on to claim there had been no boat arrival in more than 800 days – a border protection system that he said was “absolutely fundamental to the harmony of our multicultural society and our ability to generously accept humanitarian refugees from around the world.”

The laws are expected to apply to any asylum seeker sent to Nauru or Papua New Guinea's Manus Island for offshore immigration processing.

The planned ban would apply whether or not they were found to be genuine refugees and will even extend to tourist visas.

Labor frontbencher Brendan O'Conner, who was reluctant to back the plan without seeing the legislation, says "it is a very vexed area".

"With any legislation you want to look at it, see whether in fact it is fair and reasonable and is consistent with our own commitments internationally," he told Sky News.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's insane, even by the current standards. Completely loving evil.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lid posted:

So police corruption in connection with drug dealing bikies, or the guy was a protected informant and the police really love their stool pigeons. You decide.

Why can't it be both?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/30/government-introduces-new-law-banning-illegal-asylum-seekers-australia

The federal government has announced it will make it illegal for asylum seekers who try to come to Australia by boat to ever come to Australia, even as tourists.
The Migration Act will be amended to ensure that asylum seekers who try to come to Australia by boat are forbidden from entering the country, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced at a joint press conference in Sydney on Sunday.

The legislation, which is expected to be passed in the next parliamentary sitting week, will apply to all those asylum seekers taken to regional processing centres at Manus and Nauru since July 19, 2013.

Mr Turnbull told a press conference that Australia had "one of the most generous humanitarian programs in the world" that could only continue because the country was "in command of its borders."

Immigration and Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton added that the announcement was one of the strongest that the Coalition had made in relation to border protection policy.

"It builds on the success and of the last couple of years and it has to be a very clear message to people smugglers and to people on Nauru and Manus at the moment that Australia is not an option for you," Mr Dutton said.

Mr Turnbull explained that the planned Migration Act amendment came as a result of "the mess" that was left by Labor.

“A humanitarian program has been swamped by these unauthorised arrivals under the Labor government had outsourced the selection of Australia's humanitarian program to people smugglers.”

About 50,000 asylum seekers on board 800 boats arrived to Australia under the previous Labor government, according to the Turnbull government.

Almost 2,000 children have been put in immigration detention in Australia, and there have been about 1,200 deaths at sea.

Mr Turnbull went on to claim there had been no boat arrival in more than 800 days – a border protection system that he said was “absolutely fundamental to the harmony of our multicultural society and our ability to generously accept humanitarian refugees from around the world.”

The laws are expected to apply to any asylum seeker sent to Nauru or Papua New Guinea's Manus Island for offshore immigration processing.

The planned ban would apply whether or not they were found to be genuine refugees and will even extend to tourist visas.

Labor frontbencher Brendan O'Conner, who was reluctant to back the plan without seeing the legislation, says "it is a very vexed area".

"With any legislation you want to look at it, see whether in fact it is fair and reasonable and is consistent with our own commitments internationally," he told Sky News.

i thought this was the backburner

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I wonder how this is going to work if asylum seekers end up becoming NZ citizens or something? Their kids can move here but their parents can't?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder how this is going to work if asylum seekers end up becoming NZ citizens or something? Their kids can move here but their parents can't?

Maybe, just maybe they haven't thought this bat-poo poo crazy policy through properly.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

One day they're going to run out of dumb things to legislate just so they can say they're keeping are borders safe. They're unfortunately still got a ways to go before the end.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor are going to vote for this aren't they?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

yep, gotta appeal to their target demographic

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

open24hours posted:

Probably. That or they'll have a think and try to come up with a slightly different kill all refugees policy so they can gently caress with turnbull when he tries to get it through.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Recoome posted:

yep, gotta appeal to their target demographic

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7017-australian-views-on-immigration-population-october-2016-201610241910

The target demographic of less than half of their supporters

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Pretty sure it would be a problem they could live with.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

i thought their target demographic was conservative voters, how weird!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

If they didn't support the Coalition on asylum seekers Labor wouldn't have won the 2016 election.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zenithe posted:

Maybe, just maybe they haven't thought this bat-poo poo crazy policy through properly.

no way

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If they didn't support the Coalition on asylum seekers Labor wouldn't have won the 2016 election.

I seem to recall Bill Shorten calling Off-Shore Detention too expensive in the Facebook debate, no?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

I seem to recall Bill Shorten calling Off-Shore Detention too expensive in the Facebook debate, no?

The bold, brave leadership we need.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I mean not supporting it fucks the Coalition over indefinitely so...

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
But what happens if these "refugees" just change their names and present false documentation? They've already proven they'll break the law to get here. We need to implement tougher measures, like branding and surgically implanted microbombs.

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Unironically loving the rise in Nationalism lately. No-one is entitled to come here, they can only do so if Australians want them here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Digiwizzard posted:

But what happens if these "refugees" just change their names and present false documentation? They've already proven they'll break the law to get here. We need to implement tougher measures, like branding and surgically implanted microbombs.

We are banning all New Zealanders from Australia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

Unironically loving the rise in Nationalism lately. No-one is entitled to come here, they can only do so if Australians want them here.

Ideally they should have to pass a European language test too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yes, as long as it's tested on a bunch of random high school students to make sure a "C" student will pass it.

• Locked thread