Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
More of a case of bad parkers, but thanks for clarifying.

To contribute, last night I saw a black Suburban driving on the interstate with barely visible DLR's in front and zero lights in the back. I think they were lit, but darkened so severely that they were not visible. How can someone drive along like that and not notice something is amiss? I'm genuinely scared to think that to them, nothing is amiss - because that's what it always looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xergm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZL6OKwQGew

I don't understand how car after car continues to plow through without so much as slowing down. How many of these idiots were staring at their phone?

:psyboom:

This happened a little past a curve in the road so it's likely they couldn't see the accident and respond in time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%B001'52.6%22N+118°23'24.4%22W/@34.0309197,-118.3906095,3a,75y,252.15h,84.16t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1siuFpucc_c5Eegi3iDXj-6w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DiuFpucc_c5Eegi3iDXj-6w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D64.74398%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.031266!4d-118.390126

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xergm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZL6OKwQGew

I don't understand how car after car continues to plow through without so much as slowing down. How many of these idiots were staring at their phone?

:psyboom:

This happened a little past a curve in the road so it's likely they couldn't see the accident and respond in time.

https://goo.gl/maps/8QNwzaMuqeB2

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
These are the Lexus's you share the air with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMg7uIJG1I

There is a light just after this one that cycles yellow just after this one cycles, and I assume he was trying to make it. (It is impossible to make it)

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

What's up with people who stop a car length before the next guy at a light? I'd almost say they do it in case they get their rear-ended, but that seems to be giving them too much credit.

Where I live, you're taught in drivers ed to stop where you can see the rear tires of the vehicle in front. I guess to prevent multi car pileups in the case of being rear ended, but doing it anywhere other than out in the country with little traffic just screws up intersections. I'll do it on fast roads with lights if I have a motorcycle in front just to give them a cusion if I get hit, but don't bother otherwise.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

FCKGW posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/8QNwzaMuqeB2
If someone is driving and can't see flashing lights that far away, they do not belong behind the wheel of a car. At all.

I say this both based on the map you posted and having driven that stretch of road for many, many years.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

TotalLossBrain posted:

To contribute, last night I saw a black Suburban driving on the interstate with barely visible DLR's in front and zero lights in the back. I think they were lit, but darkened so severely that they were not visible. How can someone drive along like that and not notice something is amiss? I'm genuinely scared to think that to them, nothing is amiss - because that's what it always looks like.

I really hate people with blacked out lights. The lights are there to fulfill a function and you can make them look as cool as you want so long as it doesn't impede that function. Is this actually legal?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

totalnewbie posted:

I really hate people with blacked out lights. The lights are there to fulfill a function and you can make them look as cool as you want so long as it doesn't impede that function. Is this actually legal?

No, but since when has that stopped anyone?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

-Zydeco- posted:

Where I live, you're taught in drivers ed to stop where you can see the rear tires of the vehicle in front. I guess to prevent multi car pileups in the case of being rear ended, but doing it anywhere other than out in the country with little traffic just screws up intersections. I'll do it on fast roads with lights if I have a motorcycle in front just to give them a cusion if I get hit, but don't bother otherwise.

I do this everywhere. How does leaving a quarter-car-length of space between you and the car in front of you screw up intersections? How much space do you leave?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

kastein posted:

wait, what the gently caress? I know Mass is retarded (I live there) but why did they suspend your license because of that? I thought impounded cars that weren't retrieved just got sold at auction and usually went to the junkyard if they were beat.

It was Reardon's Garage in Holyoke that wound up with the car; I was incredibly dubious of this myself so I asked another a driver from a different company I ran into at a gas station and he confirmed they would do the same. Thankfully they only had my former address at my parent's so my father would just deny knowing who I was whenever they would attempt to serve me with papers :boom: The last correspondence I got was from the RMV informing me that I would not be able to register or operate a car in MA (don't tempt me with a good time).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PCOS Bill posted:

It's probably what I get for shopping at Walmart, especially on a Sunday, two days before a holiday.

Their logo looks like a yellow stylized butthole, what did you expect?

sleepy.eyes posted:

What's up with people who stop a car length before the next guy at a light? I'd almost say they do it in case they get their rear-ended, but that seems to be giving them too much credit.

I used to question why some people sat so far back from stoplights or signs at 4 way intersections - until I saw how dumb assholes like to swing as wide as possible into the oncoming lane (right turn) or cut too sharp taking a left turn. I've had people turning left come less than a foot from clipping my driver's headlight because they just gotta beat that yellow light and aren't watching how close they're getting. Bonus points when it's 2 idiots with the same idea and neither want to give way, so you end up with a t-bone accident because neither of them wanted to wait...but I look at the silver lining of "at least those 2 fuckstains aren't going to be driving a while" and smile.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

It was Reardon's Garage in Holyoke that wound up with the car; I was incredibly dubious of this myself so I asked another a driver from a different company I ran into at a gas station and he confirmed they would do the same. Thankfully they only had my former address at my parent's so my father would just deny knowing who I was whenever they would attempt to serve me with papers :boom: The last correspondence I got was from the RMV informing me that I would not be able to register or operate a car in MA (don't tempt me with a good time).

I feel like there has to be more to this story.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PCOS Bill posted:

I hate this poo poo. Went in for 20 minutes, came out to the person driving this pickup backing up because she had managed to almost hit my bike in her "excellent parking" job. Didn't even look at me when I walked past her, just pointedly looked the other way.

I park as far out as I can to AVOID people who can't park. Best part is every other row was completely empty in the last 4-5 spots at the end so she pulled that close to my bike for nothing, and if she had actually stopped at the line properly she probably wouldn't have had more than 2" out into the aisle anyhow.

And of course it was Ohio plates (in Pittsburgh)

It's probably what I get for shopping at Walmart, especially on a Sunday, two days before a holiday.

Very nice bike. I traded my 2007 25th Anniversary VFR in just 3 weeks ago. Only traded it due to space limitations.

For more relevant content: I try to park my bikes on sidewalks whenever possible, as long as no foot/bicycle traffic would be impeded. I have only rarely heard complaints, and then just from angry cagers. Who are the very reason I park out of bumper reach.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I used to question why some people sat so far back from stoplights or signs at 4 way intersections - until I saw how dumb assholes like to swing as wide as possible into the oncoming lane (right turn) or cut too sharp taking a left turn. I've had people turning left come less than a foot from clipping my driver's headlight because they just gotta beat that yellow light and aren't watching how close they're getting.

I've had a couple times where some 6th sense told me to stop well short of the line. Lo and behold; both times I stopped about a car length back and they still almost hit me with a stupidly sharp turn. Each time they looked clueless as to why I honked too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A few things happened to me in the last 24 hours.

First, last night in Worcester I pull up behind a green minivan at a light, in the straight ahead lane. Light is red. Left arrows go green. Left traffic goes. Light changes, cross traffic goes. Light changes, opposing traffic goes. Light changes, left traffic goes.

Repeat 2 or 3 times. We are still sitting here. At this point I'm getting a little annoyed and confused, did I not notice him miss a green light cycle?

People start to honk.

I edge out just far enough and realize that he's got 1.5 loving empty spaces in front of him. Assknob is so far back the first sensor isn't even close to him. I honk too. I yell out the window "move forward" and he goes "THE LIGHT IS BROKE!!!! :downs:"

I yell to move forward and it'll change. Nothing.

So I go around him and the light instantly loving changes because now there are 10 people stacked up behind us and all 2-4 sensor grids are activated at once. I flip him off and drive away. Some people...

Also, this morning at 9:37AM on i95N between 90 and 20 in Massachusetts, I got shot at by some road raging prick in a custom painted landrover! Fortunately it was only a BB gun or pellet pistol, didn't even break the glass. I realized a few things, first I need to get my dashcam working, second I need a less crazy commute, third I apparently need a bulletproof vest to commute here, and fourth, I'm a bit cooler under pressure than I thought I was, because my reaction to a deafening TWAK and my hearing going muffled + ringing for the next 45 seconds or so was to not even jump, just keep driving, then think to myself "did he just loving shoot at me?" and write down his license plate and vehicle description while putting as much distance between us as possible.

I actually wasn't sure what I got shot at with, and was expecting to find a bullet hole in one of my door shells when I got to work, but no luck on that. So it's my word against his.

I hope MaSP puts a baseball bat up his rear end in a top hat when they stop him.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

FCKGW posted:

If someone is going so fast that they can't react to something after a curve in the road then they are going way too fast

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Booourns posted:

If someone is going so fast that they can't react to something after a curve in the road then they are going way too fast

You have the most Canadian custom title ever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Today:

I'm in the far right lane, turning right, and a moron decides to use the (empty) parking lane as their own private right turn lane, almost hitting me.

Red pickup is roughly where I was. The parking lines are visible FROM ORBIT, so I dunno how this retard didn't see them from a car next to them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

Red pickup is roughly where I was. The parking lines are visible FROM ORBIT, so I dunno how this retard didn't see them from a car next to them.

Those images are taken from æroplanes, not satellites.
:goonsay:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Technically, you're supposed to start a right turn from as far right as practicable, so I'd argue that you should start your turn a little more right, that would prevent such a thing. See, for example in california, CVC 22100:
"(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway . . . ."
That said, if you were using a turn signal, he's still a dick.

Note that this is particularly important for bike lanes (which I do not see there). If you don't merge into a bike lane before turning, you're a dangerous, incompetent driver.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that the law says to merge into the bike lane, but I stopped doing that when too many drivers blew past me and almost sideswiped cars in the left lane.

If the shoulder is wide enough to entirely fit my car, I pull there before slowing down, but if there isn’t enough road surface to allow another vehicle to safely pass, I don’t let them try.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I know that the law says to merge into the bike lane, but I stopped doing that when too many drivers blew past me and almost sideswiped cars in the left lane.

If the shoulder is wide enough to entirely fit my car, I pull there before slowing down, but if there isn’t enough road surface to allow another vehicle to safely pass, I don’t let them try.

That's sure gonna suck when you right hook a cyclist and cause them serious injury. The risk of drivers doing something dumb outside of your control causing minor cosmetic damage is a lot less serious than the serious injury that will likely occur from a right hook.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

nm posted:

That's sure gonna suck when you right hook a cyclist and cause them serious injury. The risk of drivers doing something dumb outside of your control causing minor cosmetic damage is a lot less serious than the serious injury that will likely occur from a right hook.

This is why you should ensure they are dead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

This is why you should ensure they are dead.

Its gonna suck when the cyclists estate gets all your broken saabs.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

nm posted:

Its gonna suck when the cyclists estate gets all your broken saabs.

That's fine, because I'll drive over their relatives too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

That's fine, because I'll drive over their relatives too.

Are you sure you'll make it? Their relatives live all the way across town.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

Bike lane is empty for miles. No parked cars to hide behind. Unless a cyclist comes up behind me at supersonic speeds, there will be no hooking.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

nm posted:

gently caress I have AAA, I'll get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1oM7LBbxE

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Bike lane is empty for miles. No parked cars to hide behind. Unless a cyclist comes up behind me at supersonic speeds, there will be no hooking.

Be careful. I've found that most motorist have a pretty bad sense of how fast cyclists can be going. I've had a bunch of close calls from people who pass me, must assume I'm doing 8mph, not 20 and turn right in front of me seconds later. If I didn't expect it (and have good brakes), it would be a re-run of last November (from which I still have back and neck pain).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You don't see a bike lane in the photo because this is a "share the road, lol" municipality.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Javid posted:

You don't see a bike lane in the photo because this is a "share the road, lol" municipality.
Ah yes, the "share the road" sign, the best middle finger to cyclists since tram tracks in the middle of the road.

Still, while it is illegal and dangerous, way too many cyclists (and motorcyclists and even, apparently, drivers) will attempt to undertake you there, cause an accident and you might even share some liability due to the law.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nm posted:

I really needed a laugh and you two provided it. Please send me your invoice via Telex. :tipshat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bike lanes in my area are a joke. Many roads have them, but the city just stenciled some bikes in the gutter and called it good.

The bike lanes on arterials are not for the faint‐hearted. Most cyclists use the side streets (which have no bike lanes but do have slower, lighter traffic) or the arterial sidewalks, against traffic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They spent a fuckton of money painting a bunch in here, and then a ton more painting them back out when nobody used them because there's a fully functional bike path system throughout the city.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

They spent a fuckton of money painting a bunch in here, and then a ton more painting them back out when nobody used them because there's a fully functional bike path system throughout the city.

Basically "nobody on two wheels paid attention", then?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

West SAAB Story posted:

gently caress I have AAA, I'll get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1oM7LBbxE

I've never used AAA. I've needed it a few times, and completely forgot I had it until after the whole "call friend for ride home, get spare vehicle and tools, fix broken vehicle/tow broken vehicle home" routine.
At which point I facepalm and wonder why the gently caress I have AAA or why the gently caress I didn't call AAA.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've never used AAA. I've needed it a few times, and completely forgot I had it until after the whole "call friend for ride home, get spare vehicle and tools, fix broken vehicle/tow broken vehicle home" routine.
At which point I facepalm and wonder why the gently caress I have AAA or why the gently caress I didn't call AAA.

It's almost easier to deal with AAA than to even pull out the credit card to rent a truck. I (now) pay for premium, so when I buy a car that isn't safe (or capable) to drive, I can have it towed home- and I don't have to bust up my own poo poo (or pay for gas). You get a 200 mile tow, and several 100 mile tows. I've used it twice this year, and even tipping the driver, I've spent less than I would have on gas.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

One of those 200 mile tows would otherwise cost you more than the premium coverage costs.

If the incident happens after hours they'll also tow you home, then to a shop later, and it's only one tow out of your allotment. That's handy.

The above have saved my rear end on several occasions.

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 2, 2016

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

kastein posted:

I feel like there has to be more to this story.

Sorry, I was sick and in-and-out of rational thought so I phrased it like you already new details to the story.

My Prelude was stolen, the police assured me when it was recovered I would have a brief window of time to arrange to have it towed or it would be impounded. When I finally heard word back the Holyoke PD called and said they had found my car hours before and that it was in the impound at Reardon's. I go to Reardon's to have it released and they attempted to charge me for tow, storage, and a bunch of other BS to the tune of about $700. I was incredibly broke at the time explained that I was the victim of a crime without any recourse and they said there was nothing they could do. I asked what would happen if I were to leave the car with them and they explained my license would be suspended in MA and I would be barred from registering cars at the MA RMV. Since I don't live in MA this seemed of little consequence to me but my father started receiving mail in my name demanding payment for months worth of storage. When I didn't respond the state of MA began sending certified letters and my dad refused to allow them to be delivered. The last certified letter that was left (without delivery confirmation) was the RMV saying my license is no longer valid and that it could lead to all sorts of complications including a warrant for my arrest. I've since had my record run, without issue, by CT police so I'm not sure what came of it.

TL?DR: If your car is stolen in MA and you don't pay to retrieve it they will try to gently caress you both legally and financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Had another old fart in an SUV almost hit me trying to pull a u-turn without looking first...

Waiting behind this guy at a light to take a left turn into a shopping center - right after our left there are 3 right turns, each going into different store lots. Old dumbass starts taking the first right into a store parking lot (no signal, of course) and without even checking, whips his Expedition sharply to the left and nearly causes me to hit his driver's quarter panel. rear end in a top hat just looked at me like a deer in the headlights when I honked and flipped him off, hope that stupid chucklefuck dies in a wreck.