Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How many of you would own a GTI past the end of warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Man, I wish any dealers around here were even close to that. I'll have to keep my eyes open I guess.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

blk posted:

I daily drove one for 6 years without a warranty. It was a 2007 with the DSG. The idea that it would break down at any second always was in the back of my head, but at the same time I kept up on the maintenance and it always just worked. Last year I traded it in and got a Fiesta ST because I wanted something newer that I could get better mileage out of and the hidden surprise for me was maintenance costs are way lower with the Ford. I'd do it all over again though, and probably will when I get sick of the Fiesta.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

That's one of my big concerns. I'm trying to replace a motorcycle and truck with a hatch or wagon that is reasonably family friendly. I'm used to Japanese cars that don't depreciate and don't cost much to maintain. I'm about as far from a mechanic as you can get but I haven't paid anyone to work on my Tacoma yet. The GTI seems to do absolutely everything that I want besides carry the dog(70 pound lab) and baby at the same time which is a scenario that has yet to come up. I really wish Subaru would bring back the legacy wagon and make a 3.6R spec B.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

I'm pretty sure my MK7 would be solid outside of warranty... in fact I voided the warranty with under 1000mi on the car. Here we are 22k miles later without issue.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

Remove the clutch pedal spring and clutch delay valve, you will be much happier and the clutch will last longer.

Also, snow catcher out of the bottom of the intake box. Get a OBD Eleven and turn off the 'vibration dampening'. (read: torque limiting in lower gears)

The Sport makes me regret my year and a half old 2016 4dr S.

Thanks for the tips, I happen to have a Ross-Tech cable and am familiar with VCDS from my adventures in fixing and selling my buddies 2001 TDI. I have already made the following changes:

Disabled the soundaktor.
Disabled alarm (horn) on lock.
Disabled seat belt warning chime (I always wear my belt, it's just annoying for it to chime when my passengers first get in the car and don't belt up immediately).
Disabled the "door open while ignition is on" chime.
Disabled "starting vibration reduction" (torque limiter).
Changed turn signal blink from 3 to 5.

My first modifications will be improving the clutch and shifter feel. I have already made the home-brew clutch stop (as found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8271369-DIY-HD-Clutch-Stop-for-less-than-a-dollar!-for-all-MQB-MK7-Golf-5-and-6MT ). Next weekend when it isn't raining I will be removing the intake snow catch, the clutch delay valve, the clutch spring, and I have a Black Forest Industries heavy weight billet shift knob as well as the DieselGeek short-shifter on the way.

I've now put 200 miles on the car and it's been thoroughly enjoyable, but another thing I miss from the Fiesta is the much shorter gearing it has. This just gives me an excuse to stay in the lower gears longer! Also ordered a JB1 but I'm waiting until about 2,000 miles before installing it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh man, I put the JB1 on at under 1000mi. Do a downpipe at the same time, you're picking up like 60-70whp. It's stupid seeing traction control flashing in 3rd gear when the weather is cool.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
If you're looking at Lindsay VW in Virginia, I bought from them last month and were very easy to work with from a couple states away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

If you're looking at Lindsay VW in Virginia, I bought from them last month and were very easy to work with from a couple states away.

It was Sheehy. Too bad I have to work twice tomorrow or I would have banged in sick and flown out there. I told them that if the new incentives are in the same ballpark(really loving close to the current price) that we'll still be talking. I would have put a thousand bucks down no problem but they said it didn't matter and there's nothing they can do unless the deal is done tomorrow. Oh well. It's the color I'd want and everything.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

fknlo posted:

I would have put a thousand bucks down no problem but they said it didn't matter and there's nothing they can do unless the deal is done tomorrow.

Classic dealership talk. Deals are always only good for RIGHT NOW. Or, there is someone else on there way with a check, so this is your only chance

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Classic dealership talk. Deals are always only good for RIGHT NOW. Or, there is someone else on there way with a check, so this is your only chance

That doesn't work well for them in this situation since I actually want to buy the car though. I told them I could be there Tuesday. There's absolutely no reason for them to go that route.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fknlo posted:

That doesn't work well for them in this situation since I actually want to buy the car though. I told them I could be there Tuesday. There's absolutely no reason for them to go that route.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like what happened in your case. It seems like they just had some manufacturer incentives that run out at the end of October. Likely nothing they can do in regards to needing to have the sale finalized during that time period in order for you to qualify.

I'm sure they'll have very similar new incentives though, so you should be able to still score a similar/same deal.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

100% Dundee posted:

Yeah, that doesn't seem like what happened in your case. It seems like they just had some manufacturer incentives that run out at the end of October. Likely nothing they can do in regards to needing to have the sale finalized during that time period in order for you to qualify.

I'm sure they'll have very similar new incentives though, so you should be able to still score a similar/same deal.

I'm gonna be doubly pissed if they don't since I apparently have some days off on my next work week and this would have been the perfect time to travel to buy a car.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

I had this issue with Lindsay VW, I told them I would buy the car and put down a deposit but couldn't come down until the 1st of the next month. They emailed me all the paperwork to sign and email back to them so they could count it towards that month's sale plus get me the correct incentives. It worked out great and was incredibly easy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I had this issue with Lindsay VW, I told them I would buy the car and put down a deposit but couldn't come down until the 1st of the next month. They emailed me all the paperwork to sign and email back to them so they could count it towards that month's sale plus get me the correct incentives. It worked out great and was incredibly easy.

Yeah, I considered something like this but with the short amount of time available I didn't want to dick with it if it's even possible. Plus the whole actually buying a car completely sight unseen, even if it's new, is something I have issues with. Hopefully they'll call me back tomorrow and the price will be similar. And if it's not I'll try to get them to throw in some winter tires and a roof rack or something if it's close enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah that's all down to VWGoA incentives and not dealer stuff. I bet incentives stay similar because VW is trying desperately to maintain some semblance of market share through diesel gate before the Atlas is on sale.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Local Chevy delaership has a pre-owned FoRS that has 4k rough miles. The front was caked with bugs and had some small chips and one of the tires had been curbed. The logo on the steering wheel also was chipped. The bugs and dirtiness of it speak more about the dealership than anything

I ask how much they are asking for it, just for laughs.....$42k

That was the first one I've seen in person and those do look like a blast. I'm don't know how I feel about the huge spoiler though

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Coolnezzz posted:

While that is true, in my case the Fiesta was my first new car buying experience and the dealer saw me coming a mile away. I'm paying only $15 more per month for the GTI than I was the FiST with a similar down payment made on each.

Edit: more pictures!

What's up 2017 GTI Sport in metallic blue buddy! :D

Same car, really happy with the first 600+ miles on it so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The GTi looks nice but those wheels do not fit the character to me.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

tijag posted:

What's up 2017 GTI Sport in metallic blue buddy! :D

Same car, really happy with the first 600+ miles on it so far.

Twins!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GTi looks nice but those wheels do not fit the character to me.

Personally I like the look more than the Austins. In any case, as soon as these tires are gone I'll likely be getting 17x8 O.Z. Ultraleggeras in matte bronze, I think the color would pair really well with Night Blue Metallic. Not completely decided yet on the wheels but I'll definitely be getting Pilot Super Sports when the time comes.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nogaros > Austins. Neither hold a candle to the gorgeous Pretorias on the R for '17.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

Nogaros > Austins. Neither hold a candle to the gorgeous Pretorias on the R for '17.
Just googled the Pretorias, drat, those look good.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Just googled the Pretorias, drat, those look good.

I hear they are a bitch to clean, but they are literally sex on wheels. I plan on owning 4 of my own before '17 is over.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Coolnezzz posted:

Twins!

Personally I like the look more than the Austins. In any case, as soon as these tires are gone I'll likely be getting 17x8 O.Z. Ultraleggeras in matte bronze, I think the color would pair really well with Night Blue Metallic. Not completely decided yet on the wheels but I'll definitely be getting Pilot Super Sports when the time comes.

what the hell. you are exactly me?

I don't know about the bronze wheels, but that's exactly what i'll be doing when these tires need replacing.

17x8 OZ Ultraleggeras + 235/45 R17 PSS's [hopefully the newest ones that are just coming out now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Guess I was being optimistic that the dealer would actually call me today to tell me what the new incentives are? Their website shows 3 GTI Sports, all white, all stiil at $22k. I guess I should have told them I wasn't interested so they'd call me daily until I finally told them to gently caress off.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I didn't see them listed anymore at 22 or the DSG at 23. Let us know if you keep pursuing it, I'd love to see one actually sold for that

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Still brilliant. I fear they're going to go DCT for the new gen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

I didn't see them listed anymore at 22 or the DSG at 23. Let us know if you keep pursuing it, I'd love to see one actually sold for that

Still here for $22k. Websites often aren't updated in a timely fashion, but on Sunday there was only one of them... Me getting one this week is pretty much off the table at this point. I'll have to give them a call and see what the deal is.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

On today's episode of Hot Or Not - The Dodge Caliber SRT-4.

One of our customers at work has this one, plus 3 others he's working on. I'm not sure if he's trying to start a cult or what. It sounds pretty good, he's put work into it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jediguy posted:

Wow. That's gorgeous.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Night Danger Moose posted:

On today's episode of Hot Or Not - The Dodge Caliber SRT-4.

One of our customers at work has this one, plus 3 others he's working on. I'm not sure if he's trying to start a cult or what. It sounds pretty good, he's put work into it.

Bleh. Not. I'm biased though. I had an '04

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Does it drive as terribly as it looks?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jediguy posted:

Very nice. Can we get a write up?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

jediguy posted:

Unf. Real nice.

I installed some rally armor flaps on my FiST today and sprayed my winter wheels (15" 09' focus alloys) an eye-searing neon yellow. Probably wont mount them for another month though.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Very nice. Can we get a write up?

Happy to. Anything specific you'd like to know?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They finally sent me a quote

$1k more than last week. Still listed at $22k on their website of course. I'm also not sure about adding my sales tax for where I live into their price even if that's standard in Virginia. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can only pay when you register here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jediguy posted:

Happy to. Anything specific you'd like to know?

Not particularly - I have a FoST but really like French cars. Tell me about the weird French car things if there are any. After that, interior and driving experience.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not particularly - I have a FoST but really like French cars. Tell me about the weird French car things if there are any. After that, interior and driving experience.

I've owned it for two years and besides a recently bung battery it's been solidly reliable. No mechanical quirks but a few electronics ones you may appreciate:

- Trip computer can’t compute ‘est. km left’ if there’s less than a quarter tank, which is when you actually need it
- Reversing camera has three unofficial modes it will select at random - strobe, blank, acid trip colours
- Sat nav randomly crashes and needs to reset
- Turning on the rear wiper is always a gamble. It may turn off when you ask it to. It may keep wiping forever, even when you turn the car off
- All the controls are on or behind the steering wheel, which is fine. This includes cruise control on, off, and increase/decrease speed. But to activate cruise control? That’s a switch hidden next to your left hip
- Engine cut-off at lights (already annoying on a manual car) is supposed to be deactivated when on sport mode, but will activate when it feels like it, except when you want it to

The interior from when I bought it:

Will write up the driving experience tomorrow.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jediguy posted:

I've owned it for two years and besides a recently bung battery it's been solidly reliable. No mechanical quirks but a few electronics ones you may appreciate:

- Trip computer can’t compute ‘est. km left’ if there’s less than a quarter tank, which is when you actually need it
- Reversing camera has three unofficial modes it will select at random - strobe, blank, acid trip colours
- Sat nav randomly crashes and needs to reset
- Turning on the rear wiper is always a gamble. It may turn off when you ask it to. It may keep wiping forever, even when you turn the car off
- All the controls are on or behind the steering wheel, which is fine. This includes cruise control on, off, and increase/decrease speed. But to activate cruise control? That’s a switch hidden next to your left hip
- Engine cut-off at lights (already annoying on a manual car) is supposed to be deactivated when on sport mode, but will activate when it feels like it, except when you want it to

The interior from when I bought it:

Will write up the driving experience tomorrow.

Glad to hear that French cars have more stupid bugs than my German cars. Likely why Renault still doesn't exist in the US :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats a good looking interior.