Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The Michigan one is great with Harbaugh being such a baby about the pink locker room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yates posted:

I think in this situation Ohio State would go in over Wisconsin. If Penn State would beat Wisconsin I think Penn State makes it in instead of Ohio State. I really think as long as Louisville and Clemson keep winning, Wisconsin has to beat Michigan in the Big Ten title game to get in. If Lousiville or Clemson ends up with 2 losses then I could see both Wisconsin and Ohio State making it in this situation.

I just don't see the committee leaving out a conference champ in favor of another team in that same conference. That would be a huge gently caress you to the conferences and would send a signal that conference races and upsets don't matter. Which wouldn't be a good message for college football.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I just don't see the committee leaving out a conference champ in favor of another team in that same conference. That would be a huge gently caress you to the conferences and would send a signal that conference races and upsets don't matter. Which wouldn't be a good message for college football.

It'll happen eventually. Imagine a Coastal team upsets an Atlantic team in the ACC title game and an East team beats Alabama in the SEC title game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Thoguh posted:

Week 11: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Wisconsin

I slid in Wisconsin because I think Ohio State beats Michigan and that'll send Penn State to the B1G title game and I think Wisconsin beats Penn State in Indy.

Also that Oklahoma State/Central Michigan ref gently caress up has a legitimate chance of being an issue with the playoffs at this point. If Oklahoma State goes 2-0 to end the season does the committee treat them as a 1 loss conference champ or a 2 loss conference champ? That could matter since the Pac-12 could easily end up with a 2 loss conference champ.

I want a world where the playoff teams are Bama, Penn St, ACC Champ, and Boatrowers. Probably need a Washington Apple Cup loss, OkSt winning the Big 12, and the committee doing a poo poo ton of drugs

A Wisconsin-PSU game will be a classic 6-4 B1G slugfest

Thoguh posted:

At this point, why bother playing the season and just go with preseason rankings

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

How the hell did UNLV have less than 10% probability to beat Wyoming? THey are in the same conference and it's not like Wyoming is some conference power

The moon pole doesn't care about conference or historical perception, only that Wyoming was 7-2 with a positive turnover margin and a decent strength of schedule with a win over Boise, whereas UNLV was 3-6 with a weak schedule and a defense that gave up 35 points a game.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Sean White now says he probably should've been more honest with the coaches about his injury; Lashlee's comments seem to say they didn't fully grasp how useless his arm was and felt like he was just on a cold streak. I'm pretty sure they just waited too long and if Georgia hadn't burned so much clock on their last drive Franklin would've come in, but with less than two minutes (and a lovely KO return) there's not enough time for a QB you don't trust to throw. I'm sure Georgia's defense prepared for whatever Gilded Age offense JF3 would have to run, but I would've liked to find out if they prepared well enough.

I don't think they're "frauds" unless a lack of offensive depth is enough to qualify as one now. The defense is still way too good to write them off. It was dumb to count this game, against an opponent that ALWAYS does this to Auburn, as in hand and assume a 9-2 team was on its way to Tuscaloosa.

Gus has done enough to save his job. but he burned all his surplus goodwill yesterday and goes into next season in the same place he started this one. Priority one is preparing Woody Barrett as a credible backup, at a minimum, if not the actual starter.

I really don't know if Lashlee or Gus had any plan of putting JF3 in. Someone asked Lashlee who would start if White can't play next week and he said "I don't know". That seems to me like they had no plan to play Franklin, but it may just be him not wanting to answer the question. It really bothers me that two years in a row the coaches have lost games because they can't figure out that an injured Sean White is going to be worse than a healthy backup. Auburn would have lost the bowl game against Memphis last year if they hadn't played Jeremy Johnson. Hopefully they can evaluate White and only play him if he can throw.

I don't know if "fraud" is the right word, but Auburn without Pettway and playing an injured Sean White is not a top 10 team and may not be a top 20 team. The defense is very good and can keep them in games, but the team that played last weekend is going to struggle to beat anyone. If they can get an offense together they have a chance at keeping it close with Bama and winning a nice bowl game. For that to happen I think Auburn needs to decide on a back-up and give them a chance to run a whole game, or get lucky with White healing up in time for Bama (or at least the bowl game which I think is more likely).

Overall I'm still somewhat amazed Auburn has done as well as they have, but It's ridiculous that they apparently only have one QB on the roster they trust to throw the football.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Here's Auburn's first drive of the second half:

- Incomplete pass
- Incomplete pass
- Pick-6

Here's Auburn's drive after UGA took the lead in the 4th:

- Incomplete pass
- Incomplete pass
- Incomplete pass
- Punt

You guys were weird. I don't get it.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

...an East team beats Alabama in the SEC title game.

I'd say that this can't possibly ever happen, but I guess you don't even have to go back a week to find a bigger example of something even stupider happening.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Broken collarbone for Speight, how good is O'Korn or whatever?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Also yeah we may beat ND and UVA both are not very good GT is def trickier than either of them, but the chances we hang with Clemson in ACCCG? Looking slimmer after the past few weeks, and then a bowl game who knows.

Just trying to take solace in knowing things are trending in the right direction. Haven't had a real shot at winning the division in 3 years, so still a better than expected result is available. CFB is wacky.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Eltoasto posted:

Can't wait for marquis de pyro to lash out irrationally at someones program for talking about it.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I'd say that this can't possibly ever happen, but I guess you don't even have to go back a week to find a bigger example of something even stupider happening.

there is no way that alabama will lose in the sec championship game. it's not going to happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Bad enough that they decided to keep Speight in for two or three series against Iowa after he got hurt, even though he'd been awful even before the injury (and was getting regularly crushed by Jaleel Johnson and co)

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The Michigan one is great with Harbaugh being such a baby about the pink locker room.

That's still so funny to me. Back in the day Bo was the guy who freaked out about it the most too. He used to send the equipment guys in with butcher paper to cover it up every time he played at Kinnick.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 14, 2016

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want a world where the playoff teams are Bama, Penn St, ACC Champ, and Boatrowers. Probably need a Washington Apple Cup loss, OkSt winning the Big 12, and the committee doing a poo poo ton of drugs

A Wisconsin-PSU game will be a classic 6-4 B1G slugfest

At this point, why bother playing the season and just go with preseason rankings

You haven't seen Penn State this year, have you? Our offense is much better than most years and the defense is a little worse (only a little now that 2/3 linebackers have returned from injury--we were REALLY BAD against Pitt and Michigan without any linebackers).

As things look right now, our OL is really banged up, and we might be burning a redshirt against Rutgers. We probably won't be able to run the type of offense that needs to beat Wisconsin, and they're going to get lots of pressure and shut down the run against our backup linemen. We might struggle to beat Rutgers this Saturday, so beating Michigan State is no guarantee. Without run blocking, Barkley carried the ball 30 times for 60 yards or so against Indiana.

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 14, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Wisconsin would beat Penn State but PSU is gonna murder MSU and Rutgers. Those teams are both trash. Indiana actually has a decent defense this year and plays most teams tough.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

b-minus1 posted:

there is no way that alabama will lose in the sec championship game. it's not going to happen.

His point is that it actually could happen and you only have to look at this past weekend to see how it could.

Do I think it will? Absolutely not. Could it? Sure, football is weird, man

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
O'Korn is going to throw for 5 TD's then when the game is over his helmet gets removed and it's actually Harbaugh with a fake mustache on.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yall are still operating under the assumption that the playoff is about putting the 4 best teams together when its really about putting together four good teams that will make everyone tons of money when they play.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yall are still operating under the assumption that the playoff is about putting the 4 best teams together when its really about putting together four good teams that will make everyone tons of money when they play.

This is why Wisconsin has no shot at 11-2 even if they win the conference. There's no way Wisconsin goes over a 1 loss OSU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

b-minus1 posted:

There's no way that K State will beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Oklahoma is the best college football team that's ever been fielded, and there's no way some scrubs are going to beat them.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Eltoasto posted:

He was awesome at Houston for one year as a freshman against terrible defenses, then he fell off a cliff the next year and got benched and transferred. So who knows?

But there is no other option - I don't think Shane Morris ever quite fully recovered from mono a couple years ago. He just looks a step slow now, always. I expected him to be a star someday, but it ain't going to happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

There's no way that K State will beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Oklahoma is the best college football team that's ever been fielded, and there's no way some scrubs are going to beat them.

I think this year that is exceptionally unlikely.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Proud Christian Mom posted:

So you're saying the 4 teams are going to be Bama, OSU, Texas and Notre Dame.

Sounds just about right.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There's no way they take OSU over PSU if both win out, they have harped too much about conference champions. And PSU would deserve the spot. Nebraska or Wisconsin gets a bit trickier since OSU beat them. Is the Rose Bowl in the playoffs this year? I wouldn't mind if OSU went to that instead since I don't really see this team as potential champions with that offense.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eltoasto posted:

There's no way they take OSU over PSU if both win out, they have harped too much about conference champions. And PSU would deserve the spot. Nebraska or Wisconsin gets a bit trickier since OSU beat them. Is the Rose Bowl in the playoffs this year? I wouldn't mind if OSU went to that instead since I don't really see this team as potential champions with that offense.

Nope, the Rose Bowl's not part of the CFP this year.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Eltoasto posted:

I'm of the mind that I really just don't care if OSU makes the playoff or not at this point. This team has 35+ guys with freshman eligibility and only like 4-5 seniors. Barrett is a moron if he leaves for the draft. They'll be really good next year when Michigan is down like 17 starters and make potentially a better run then.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

I'm of the mind that I really just don't care if OSU makes the playoff or not at this point. This team has 35+ guys with freshman eligibility and only like 4-5 seniors. Barrett is a moron if he leaves for the draft. They'll be really good next year when Michigan is down like 17 starters and make potentially a better run then.

Some players are gonna leave early to the draft though, and Greg Schiano will probably get a head coaching job somewhere.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
lol who would hire schiano when his play calling has been almost les miles tier most of the season

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Equal parts amazing and upsetting.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
guys, ive thought about it for awhile, and its hard, you know? I think...i think alabama will win. win the national championship.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Komet posted:

This is why Wisconsin has no shot at 11-2 even if they win the conference. There's no way Wisconsin goes over a 1 loss OSU.

I don't think OSU would make it in this scenario unless both Wisc and OSU are in. You can't justify leaving out the conference winner and putting in someone who didn't make the title game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think if the SEC East winner beats Bama (somehow) then Bama will still get in, probably as #4, while the SEC champ is left high and dry. That's about the only scenario where I see a non-conference champ getting in without the winner of their conference, if an undefeated team that's a strong #1 loses to a 2+ loss team in the conference championship.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Was just informed that UGA is the first team to beat a top 10 team without scoring an offensive touchdown since 2011 LSU / Bama's 9-6 affair.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jovial Cow posted:

Equal parts amazing and upsetting.

I see you're unfamiliar with ACChaos.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

LeeMajors posted:

Can't wait for marquis de pyro to lash out irrationally at someones program for talking about it.

Yes, when the posters specifically mention me by name, it's very irrational. Florida still sucks and likely will for the foreseeable future by the way.

If only Florida and Michigan could play in a bowl game and settle this. Oh. Well, what if Florida had Tim Tebow? Oh.

really it's pretty funny given that I am generally pessimistic about Michigan and you people act like I'm the biggest homer just because I respond to the dumb posts about Harbaugh. Can't wait until my 'we're going to lose to Ohio State' prediction gets spun into some classic Michigan arrogance

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 15, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I think this year that is exceptionally unlikely.

Also Oklahoma went on to play in the title game anyway, despite losing 35-7 to K St. That happened another time right? Lose the conference title play for the national title?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yes, when the posters specifically mention me by name, it's very irrational. Florida still sucks and likely will for the foreseeable future by the way.

If only Florida and Michigan could play in a bowl game and settle this. Oh. Well, what if Florida had Tim Tebow? Oh.

really it's pretty funny given that I am generally pessimistic about Michigan and you people act like I'm the biggest homer just because I respond to the dumb posts about Harbaugh. Can't wait until my 'we're going to lose to Ohio State' prediction gets spun into some classic Michigan arrogance

No people think you're a bitch, not a pessimist. There's a difference.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

No people think you're a bitch, not a pessimist. There's a difference.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Florida still sucks and likely will for the foreseeable future by the way.

Michigan were most recently Big10 champions in 2004 — in true Michigan fashion, a split championship. They have never played in the Big10 championship game. In the years since Michigan last won their conference, YouTube, Amazon Prime, facebook.com, Netflix streaming, and smartphones have been launched. In that same period of time, Florida has won a Heisman Trophy and two national championships (none split). Florida has won its division as recently as last year.

I feel like a Rivals.com poster. I'm going to take a shower now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
I haven't read the thread but did anyone see that loving :siren:EASTERN MICHIGAN:siren: is now bowl eligible at 6-4???

• Locked thread